• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I agree mainly. Not the last bit though. A well designed shooter should see offense and defence being equal and down to the skill of the player. BFV for example - you can camp and do well but it takes a skill of subtly moving position and reading the fight. But equally you can be rushed. Attackers can use angles to hide the assault and also in game mechanics like smoke. The problem with MW is as you say that the map layout, visual design and pacing all favour people watching lanes.
Defenders always have situational advantage; when I say "offense should always trump defense", I'm speaking purely on mechanical terms--though it's not a terrible philosophy to have when approaching the problem holistically as well--especially in eSports. Attackers winning will always be more exciting than defenders winning. Games like R6S give offense increased firepower and utility to make up for this difference; CS has plenty of utility options as well as high movement speed.

MW gives defenders mechanical advantage (long ADS times, low TTK, low strafe speed), situational advantage (sound, light conditions, less angles to cover), and utility advantage (mines, Claymores, perks to place more and recharge them). It's the holy trinity of camper design, and it's awful.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Not entirely sure what the role of the marksman rifles is, but I'm giving the M2 a try and it's pretty fun. Headshots with this thing feel super satisfying - not that I get a ton of those, though.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just did the first spec-ops operation with a couple of mates. It was difficult as shit, but still pretty entertaining. The spawns are not fair, though. Oh, and the roof of the football stadium is OP, especially with a sniper loadout.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So how is the storry and performacne on ps4 pro? Avoided any spoilers so far

I'm halfway through it and it's really good, not the best imo but truly atmospheric and some phenomenal missions in it (others not so much).
Characters are fine, Price and Farah are the best. The story is whatever and dialogues are a step down from Infinite Warfare. Presentation and sound is increible, play it with headset if possible.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a way to turn off the text notifications in the top right of screen on PC? I don't need to know if someone on my friends list started play Wow and I really don't need to see that all the time.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Unless it's just me, I can't even find the actual "spec-ops" Operations.
There's only: 1 Survival map(bad), and 3 "Classic Spec-Ops" missions which are just Multiplayer Maps w Waves of Enemies.
There's apparently 4 Operation missions that unlock operator characters.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but good god are the spec ops Operations ridiculously hard. I don't get why there isn't a difficulty option for them. Enemies infinitely respawning and being able to down you in a few shots while you have to keep defending or holding a point almost all the time in almost all of the scenarios (only attempted the first 2 so far). I really hope they patch it, because it is not fun especially after randos quit after playing for an hr with no checkpoints as well.

Outside of that, i'm enjoying the multiplayer and thought the Campaign was delightful, but please for the love of god fix spec ops.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just got the platinum.

Pretty easy. Few annoying spots on veteran in the more open levels but no collectables or online trophies was nice.

Favourite level was easily Clean House.

Oct 27, 2017
Im really trying to give spec ops a chance but it's baffling how no one at Infinity Ward or focus testing thought this wasnt broken. It's damn near impossible with the endless enemies who all have laser accuracy and barely any cover for the player.

They really need to speak on this, it needs to be adjusted. Yo make matters worse the checkpoint system is horrid.

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Im really trying to give spec ops a chance but it's baffling how no one at Infinity Ward or focus testing thought this wasnt broken. It's damn near impossible with the endless enemies who all have laser accuracy and barely any cover for the player.

They really need to speak on this, it needs to be adjusted. Yo make matters worse the checkpoint system is horrid.
This is true. Me and my friends can barely get past round 6 or 7.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
rvcew4s408v31.jpg

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
A thing I don't like about this game is how even when you don't appear on the screen and someone is aiming down sights in your general area the game bascially says enemy in the area and I hate how your red name pops up when they aim at you so far away..It wasn't that bad in other cods

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Defenders always have situational advantage; when I say "offense should always trump defense", I'm speaking purely on mechanical terms--though it's not a terrible philosophy to have when approaching the problem holistically as well--especially in eSports. Attackers winning will always be more exciting than defenders winning. Games like R6S give offense increased firepower and utility to make up for this difference; CS has plenty of utility options as well as high movement speed.

MW gives defenders mechanical advantage (long ADS times, low TTK, low strafe speed), situational advantage (sound, light conditions, less angles to cover), and utility advantage (mines, Claymores, perks to place more and recharge them). It's the holy trinity of camper design, and it's awful.

I agree with this 1000% percent. It's baffling.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I played MP for a solid 6 hours yesterday.

I really have not had this type of fun since Blops 2.

I think the maps are a little to open with too many lanes and back routes, but playing Headquarters brings a warmth to my soul that I have missed so much. I had a blast.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, makes sense. Still, stupid in my opinion. Not seeing any advantages to the filter approach - should've just stuck with different playlists for different modes. Half the fun of these games is facing the same guys in multiple matches, even if they're just random names on the scoreboard.

i see a huge advantage, it´s great to be able to play a mixed playlist of Domination, Search&Destroy, Cyberattack and Headquarters to keep it fresh.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
I'm gonna deliver a hot take and say I think most of the maps are good. Sure, not the spawn camping issues like the bridge map, but I think they just require a change of how most recent faster COD's played. As you learn them, like in the olden days, you start to know where danger is likely to come from, you learn what paths you should go down depending on your class, and moving with at least one other person really helps cover areas. Much like someones first taste of whiskey, you might not like them, and indeed each one is not for everyone. I implore you though, give it some time, stop sprinting except to cross open streets ( I mean it, like play a match without sprinting at all, and I bet you do way better), slice the pie when you clear doorways and check those corners, and you might find that they aren't all terrible.

agreed

I thought the maps were terrible until I learned them and adjusted to the tempo of the engagements. Then I started doing well

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I think I may be the only person who actually likes the Piccadilly map.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, really feel like my guns aren't doing any damage today. Really fun to put 4-5 bullets into someone only to die to what certainly seemed like literally one bullet in my game.

i see a huge advantage, it´s great to be able to play a mixed playlist of Domination, Search&Destroy, Cyberattack and Headquarters to keep it fresh.

And for some reason you can't just switch playlists when you feel like playing some other game mode? We had mixed playlists in the earlier games anyway, with all the advantages of a fixed playlist.

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Reading this thread and people are still having trouble naming classes "Assault" cause of the profanity filter? I remember having that problem in COD4 on PC lmao.

What makes that even more ridiculous is I've seen some of the most vile and repugnant usernames in some of my lobbies - it seems like there's no filters in place for what you can set your Activision name to (which is what shows in the game lobbies) - it needs to be addressed

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
I'm gonna deliver a hot take and say I think most of the maps are good. Sure, not the spawn camping issues like the bridge map, but I think they just require a change of how most recent faster COD's played. As you learn them, like in the olden days, you start to know where danger is likely to come from, you learn what paths you should go down depending on your class, and moving with at least one other person really helps cover areas. Much like someones first taste of whiskey, you might not like them, and indeed each one is not for everyone. I implore you though, give it some time, stop sprinting except to cross open streets ( I mean it, like play a match without sprinting at all, and I bet you do way better), slice the pie when you clear doorways and check those corners, and you might find that they aren't all terrible.
I said the same a few pages back. The claim that the game punished offense is not true, it just demands that offense be more then sprinting around corners and bunny hopping. It's a slower paced game that demands you check your corners and move with your head on a swivel, but you still rush and what not. I have really warmed up to most of the maps thus far.