• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What mode are you going to play first?

• Campaign

Votes: 1,203 62.2%
  • Special Ops

Votes: 31 1.6%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 699 36.2%

• Total voters

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Why have theather mode when you have Nvidia Highlights, which has recorded literally one 15 sec clip of my game where absolutely nothing happens over the probably ten hours I've played

Indie

Oct 30, 2017
I am loving this version of Call of Duty. For me the best multiplayer online game I played was Battlefield 4 and I have always loved the franchise. I have played a few versions of CoD and I must say I am hooked on this. I love the Ground War mode as it reminds me somewhat of BF4 and will fill my void until another BF comes out similar to 4.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
People are forgetting that console players have insane aim assist, making us way better then mouse and keyboard. It's literally a non issue
Iv been playing kbm on my xbox one x. Loving it. I then played a match or two on controller and the aim assist was ridiculous in comparison. Almost to the point that if u have a controller player with high sensitivity, they have the advantage easily.

I regret crossplay already.......

Sony pls undone it

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Claymore and stuff need more counters. They are everywhere.

I am loving this version of Call of Duty. For me the best multiplayer online game I played was Battlefield 4 and I have always loved the franchise. I have played a few versions of CoD and I must say I am hooked on this. I love the Ground War mode as it reminds me somewhat of BF4 and will fill my void until another BF comes out similar to 4.
Yeah it's a decent bridge between CoD and Battlefield. I still find a Battlefield Conquest to be a much better designed experience but Ground War is pretty fun.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it's a decent bridge between CoD and Battlefield. I still find a Battlefield Conquest to be a much better designed experience but Ground War is pretty fun.

It's weird that claymores are level 1 but spotter is level 40(?). Should have been way earlier imo.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Wow, all this time I've been reading about HC modes but wasn't able to find them.
TIL there's a tiny "change category" button at the bottom of the Quick Play filter UI that switches to HC.
Pretty terrible UX for a game with otherwise fantastic UX design.

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017

It's even worse in this CoD because of the restock + shrapnel combo. So you can just spam them at will.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

I mean I'm doing just fine lol. When your crosshair zips to somebody it doesn't really matter how fast you can move your mouse. I remember playing gears and kicking peoples asses with a controller while they used a mouse. And when I picked up the mouse I kicked peoples asses who used controller. Just depends on the person I suppose, and the game - sometimes the input method doesn't really matter.

I mean why do you think they went full in on crossplay? They probably did tests etc and realized it's not that big of a difference - they're not incompetent. I imagine if its something like battlefield that difference would be more extreme thou

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These might be the worst maps in Call if Duty history

if IW wants avoid further blowback from the community they better start pumping out remastered COD4/MW2 maps for free and soon

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just rocking the perk that lets me survive explosions until they do something about the claymore situation

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about the game while I am at work.

I think I'm not going to focus too hard on the camos for mounting and crouching. They are kind of boring to do. Plus like someone mentioned, battle pass will have good ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Man, I don't know about this game. Doesn't really feel like a CoD to me, feels almost Battlefield like, the maps are way too busy. I will give it a few more days but I just can't get into a groove like I normally do in a CoD.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
What's a spotter? I'll be getting to 38 soon.
It's the Engineer perk from previous COD games. Lets you see score streaks and equipment through walls.

It's great against Claymore campers. If I see a Claymore I'll shoot it, then toss a sensor grenade in to see where the camper is. Then I'll jump in and still die because peek advantage doesn't exist and pre-aiming and sound whoring always wins in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they separated 20 player maps from the rest. That is a good change imo. I think of all the modes, I am split between domination and headquarters with a lean towards headquarters because it has 2 phases.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's the Engineer perk from previous COD games. Lets you see score streaks and equipment through walls.

It's great against Claymore campers. If I see a Claymore I'll shoot it, then toss a sensor grenade in to see where the camper is. Then I'll jump in and still die because peek advantage doesn't exist and pre-aiming and sound whoring always wins in this game.

Ummm... what? Sure I'm yet to crack open release version of MW 2019, but at least in beta meta was all about jumping every corner because of insane peekers advantage game gives.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
you can disable but I dont.

I've only been put against mouse users once, and tbh, they got smoked lol. (xim users though... who knows, prob exist more than we think)

99% of the time its just been a mix of ps4/xbox, because let's face it, if you're on pc it's very likely you'll be using a mouse and the game is good about separating the two.

it's quite well done.
I played against a lobby of XBOX/PS4 on Cyber attack yesterday and damn, that aim assist is something.
Headpeeking is pretty strong in this one. We still managed to pull it out but it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be.

Oct 25, 2017
How come they do not have more UI options in the game? I do not need to see so much UI elements pop up. I know where the capture points are, for instance. The game is already oversaturated to me, I do not need additional elements like that. I have always hated that in COD and am surprised they have not evolved much in that respect.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
So I tried to rename one of my loadouts to 'Assault Rifle' and it was blocked by the profanity filter...

giphy.gif

Rofl I was able to name one of mine to just Assault. I'm on PC.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Despite its issues I would still much rather play this game than any other COD in recent memory.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Patch notes are exclusive to the PS4. I saw on the menu screen an option for patch notes but they didn't even update to reflect the changes.

Dang, should've got the PS4 version.

Yeah, it's definitely goofy that they added a whole patch notes section in the game (a good idea!) that they just straight up don't use, it seems.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Gun play is great. It's just the maps are trash. They are mostly urban city block with shit loads of windows and alleyways to get shot from. Add in sound hoarding and making dead silence almost useless, leads to corner campers everywhere. Forget about chasing people down. I can count countless times they heard me following, turn a corner, sit and shoot me as I try to follow.
bleh, that kinda sounds dumb. I'm willing to try it out though.

Lower for sure. Almost feels like hardcore(which I played a lot of). I used to be able to turn the corner when being shot at, now it doesn't seem to be the case. Still way too early to tell though. Still having a blast though.
This sounds great. I pretty much switched to exclusively playing hardcore in COD 4. Only way to play, tbh. Think I might pick it up sometime!

How's S&D? Pretty much the only mode I'm seriously interested in with COD.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ummm... what? Sure I'm yet to crack open release version of MW 2019, but at least in beta meta was all about jumping every corner because of insane peekers advantage game gives.
So, (1) you should probably actually try playing the game because the retail maps make a huge difference (also unlocking Claymores at level 1), and (2) you have to jump precisely because there is no peeker's advantage.
If there were peeker's advantage, you could just strafe around corners. Instead, strafe speeds are so sluggish that your shoulder will get shot before your opponent even comes into view, so your best bet is to jump because it increases your velocity and throws off their aim. Of course, because every corner in MW is covered by three other corners, and because camping is so dominant, you're probably jumping into a room with 2-3 people anyway.

This is especially apparent in sniper/LMG battles in Gunfight, where everyone just sits at spawn and holds their corners. Camping is shitty game design when it's the dominant strategy because it's completely reactive to rushing. If no one's rushing because rushing sucks, the campers never find each other, and campers will never understand how toxic their gameplay is because they'll never run into each other. This is never a problem in other tactical shooters because they design around this. Offense should always trump defense in shooter design.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
If I were to disable crossplay, would I be matched up with others who've disabled crossplay as well?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So, (1) you should probably actually try playing the game because the retail maps make a huge difference (also unlocking Claymores at level 1), and (2) you have to jump precisely because there is no peeker's advantage.
If there were peeker's advantage, you could just strafe around corners. Instead, strafe speeds are so sluggish that your shoulder will get shot before your opponent even comes into view, so your best bet is to jump because it increases your velocity and throws off their aim. Of course, because every corner in MW is covered by three other corners, and because camping is so dominant, you're probably jumping into a room with 2-3 people anyway.

This is especially apparent in sniper/LMG battles in Gunfight, where everyone just sits at spawn and holds their corners. Camping is shitty game design when it's the dominant strategy because it's completely reactive to rushing. If no one's rushing because rushing sucks, the campers never find each other, and campers will never understand how toxic their gameplay is because they'll never run into each other. This is never a problem in other tactical shooters because they design around this. Offense should always trump defense in shooter design.

I agree mainly. Not the last bit though. A well designed shooter should see offense and defence being equal and down to the skill of the player. BFV for example - you can camp and do well but it takes a skill of subtly moving position and reading the fight. But equally you can be rushed. Attackers can use angles to hide the assault and also in game mechanics like smoke. The problem with MW is as you say that the map layout, visual design and pacing all favour people watching lanes.

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
How is Spec Ops mode? Is it anything worth investing time into?
Unless it's just me, I can't even find the actual "spec-ops" Operations.
There's only: 1 Survival map(bad), and 3 "Classic Spec-Ops" missions which are just Multiplayer Maps w Waves of Enemies.
There's apparently 4 Operation missions that unlock operator characters.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
My M4 is godly now with all the attachments I've unlocked. Run that and a sawed off shotgun and i absolutely wreck people. God I'm having so much fun.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
These maps are terrible. Can not move without getting shot from someone camping in one of the many buildings.

Ya the camping is crazy. The map design just makes you not wanna go outside lol, so you find a spot and stick to it.

also for those on xbox one X, moving the game to an external HDD stopped the crashing for me.

XboxCowdry

alt account
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
This is the best game I have played this year and the sound design is most probably the best of this generation.