• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have it on rental queue because I really was/am not sure what to expect.

I sure hope it is good and creepy, though!

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Cyanide is the mother of all 7/10 developers to be sure. It's not a bad thing, I love styx to death. But from what i've seen on the streams it's quite a bit more polished then there usual titles.

What kind of game is styx? Focus Home is definitely a highlight pub for me this year. Vampyr The Council and The Surge, all gems in my book!

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Took me 10, and I was pretty thorough about trying to pick up all the lore and stuff. 15 chapters, most around 45 minutes.

Took me about the same time, and tried to be pretty thorough.

I liked the game, but I wish it was more of a walking simulator. Gameplay has some very rough parts. There isn't a lot of stealth, but what is there is...unfortunate.

Nov 8, 2017
Is there an easy mode that makes any of the stealth stuff more forgiving? I don't have a lot of patience for bad stealth sequences and have no issues with playing on an easier difficulty if it means I can be frustrated less.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Took me about the same time, and tried to be pretty thorough.

I liked the game, but I wish it was more of a walking simulator. Gameplay has some very rough parts. There isn't a lot of stealth, but what is there is...unfortunate.
Glad your overall positive about it, was the atmosphere and story properly Lovecraftian?

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Is there an easy mode that makes any of the stealth stuff more forgiving? I don't have a lot of patience for bad stealth sequences and have no issues with playing on an easier difficulty if it means I can be frustrated less.

There isn't. Outside of one sequence, I'd personally be surprised if it's a major issue even if it's something that really gets on your nerves, but we'll see what the reviews say.

Will this be enhanced for xbox one x?

I think the answer to this is yes but I'm not positive. Will try to find out tomorrow.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017

No difficulty setting, but there's only one particularly frustrating part. You'll know when you get there. If you know what to do, you should be able to get through it quickly enough, so make sure to look up the solution. I wouldn't let it stop me from getting the game.

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
The original embargo was 4amET on the 30th. I just checked the press site (because of this thread), and it's been moved to 7pmET today. Thanks Resetera!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
So this is mostly a stealth adventure game with puzzle solving?

I enjoyed Styx (despite the horrible performance and loading times on PS4... but it was free so hey), if this one is a bit more polished it could be up my alley. But I'll wait for reviews/impressions because Cyanide games have lots of jank usually... and I do mean lots.

TheRedLotus

Nov 5, 2017
First review:

https://waytoomany.games/2018/10/29/review-call-of-cthulhu-pc/

7.5/10

Graphics: 7.0

Character animations are stiff and unnatural, but environmental textures are crisp when not covered by fog.

Gameplay: 7.0

Game mechanics and character stats operate like the most immersive pen and paper RPG you've ever experienced.

Sound: 6.5

Haunting sound effects enhance the atmosphere, but are grossly inconsistent in tonality.

Fun Factor: 8.0

Haunting atmosphere, fascinating investigations, and monster calls prevail over bugs for a good time.

The budget limitations of a small studio are apparent. Animations are rigid, inanimate set pieces and clothing dance wildly as if to the tunes of the Old Ones themselves, and bug eyed characters stare dead and unending into the depths of what little soul the green has left me with. But despite its technical flaws, I couldn't help but be entranced by the story and the world around me, so much that I stopped noticing the technical flaws. Even as I write this, all I've been thinking about are the other endings and the details I've missed. Even now, it calls me back into the depths.

Jan 2, 2018
7.5 is a good score in my book for that kind of game,as I'm really all about the story and less about gameplay,especially when it comes to horror games,and this looks like it hits the right notes with its story.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hey folks, Ben from Focus Home here, if you've got any (reasonable, answerable) Qs, I can probably answer. I wasn't one of our lead guys on the game but I did a bunch of work on it, voiced thegameplaytrailers, and have done thevarious streams.
No questions, just a big thank you personally, for giving those games and creators a shot with a cool publisher. You guys are alright in my book!

If you're ever in need of a DE CM, hit me up :p

Good enough for me. These days, I tend to get more enjoyment out of some rough-around-the-edges 7.5's than most of your typical GOAT-candidates.

Yup, totally.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
What makes this game scary? Just atmosphere / story or does it have jump scares and shit as well, anyone knows?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
If the atmosphere is great from start to finish or atleast it holds up more than in Dark Corners of the Earth and the game doesn't have game-breaking bugs, then it's already a great Cthulhu game.. you can't expect facial animations or the technical side of this type of a game to match those of AAA games.. hell, Vampire Bloodlines had better facial animations for more than 6 years than most game released in that time period but did it bothered me ? Not really.. I know what I can expect from different types of games made with different resources and budgets

TheRedLotus

Nov 5, 2017
If the atmosphere is great from start to finish or atleast it holds up more than in Dark Corners of the Earth and the game doesn't have game-breaking bugs, then it's already a great Cthulhu game.. you can't expect facial animations or the technical side of this type of a game to match those of AAA games.. hell, Vampire Bloodlines had better facial animations for more than 6 years than most game released in that time period but did it bothered me ? Not really.. I know what I can expect from different types of games made with different resources and budgets

Exactly. Let's not forget this is not your typical AAA game, and was made on a tight budget with about 3 years in the over (after Cyanide took over Frogwares' duties).

These games are too risky for the majority of the large publishers. And with the exception of Resident Evil and (possibly) The Evil Within, there are no other active survival horror franchises having good production values.

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
My review is live at DigitalChumps: 6/10

Items of interest:
- I played through it twice, trying to push the narrative/Pierce in opposing directions
- My game of the year, so far, is either Vampyr or Dead Cells (Cthulhu is nothing like the former and obviously nothing like the latter)
- Read a good chunk of Lovecraft, never played the game this is based on
- Call of Cthulhu is fine but it isn't nearly as ambitious or wide open as you may have expected
- Anthony Howell did great VO for Pierce without a lot of support

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Techraptors: 6/10
I struggle to call Call of Cthulhu a good game, thanks to its crummy stealth, bad puzzles, terrible graphics, and wasted mechanics. However, its fantastic story and tabletop-styled mechanics sure made it one of the most interesting games I've played.

trikster40

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey folks, Ben from Focus Home here, if you've got any (reasonable, answerable) Qs, I can probably answer. I wasn't one of our lead guys on the game but I did a bunch of work on it, voiced thegameplaytrailers, and have done thevarious streams.

For the trophy/achievement hunting enthusiasts, about how many playthroughs is needed for the plat/1000 gamerscore? I know there's multiple endings, so a bit concerned about needing a bunch of playthroughs.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my review. Overall I found it to be a conflicting experience, one that aims high and delivers before becoming a messy and disappointing experience.

Call of Cthulhu is a game with huge ambition that partly delivers. In the beginning, its carefully constructed environments, controlled and deliberate tone, and focused gameplay promise an excellent Lovecraft experience. As the latter half of the game's eight hour runtime rolls around and as more disparate gameplay elements are introduced, though, it begins to fall apart, losing focus on all levels. It feels like there is an excellent five to six hour experience buried within Call of Cthulhu, but poorly executed genre obligations are piled on top. Cyanide clearly understands and has a love for the mythos of Lovecraft, but that can't save Call of Cthulhu from weak gameplay, genre tropes, and hamfisted story dumps.

We don't score games at SDGC, but if I had to put a number on it it'd be 5/10. Some of the stuff it does is worth seeing, but I wouldn't rush out to grab it and you've gotta be prepared for it not to hold up all the way through.

Last edited:

TheRedLotus

Nov 5, 2017
Digitally Downloaded - 9/10
GameSpew - 8/10
Playstation Universe - 7/10
God is a Geek - 6/10
Vandal - 7/10

Quite polarizing reception for now.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Playstation Universe's review mentions this:

Channeling the pen and paper game that this effort is based upon, the skills that you elect to develop have a sizable effect on the number of ways you can resolve a given situation. Putting points into the Psychology skill for example, might allow an additional line of questioning to reveal a previously unknown clue, whereas piling points into the Spot Hidden skill will increase your visual acuity – allowing you to pick out difficult to see clues and items in the environment.

That sounds super freaking cool.

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
For the trophy/achievement hunting enthusiasts, about how many playthroughs is needed for the plat/1000 gamerscore? I know there's multiple endings, so a bit concerned about needing a bunch of playthroughs.
I don't know exactly what you need to do for each achievement off the top of my head, but some clever save file usage should mean you only have to do a couple of complete playthroughs and then use your saves to pick alternate results. You can do it with one, but you'd need a guide/incredible luck, I think.

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
I don't know exactly what you need to do for each achievement off the top of my head, but some clever save file usage should mean you only have to do a couple of complete playthroughs and then use your saves to pick alternate results. You can do it with one, but you'd need a guide/incredible luck, I think.
In my experience I had the option for two
when I didn't save a particular NPC.
On my second run there were two additional ending options, and one fewer,
when I did save that NPC and they were present at the ceremony.
Either way the last autosave is before you have to make a choice.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Trusted Reviews - 7/10
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/call-of-cthulhu

"Most of all, Call of Cthulhu comes closer than any previous adaptation – from Dark Corners all the way back to Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice – in replicating the substance of the Chaosium RPG. While it could be more sophisticated in its handling of research and detective work, Cyanide's effort keeps both front and centre, always resisting the temptation to just say blow it and start the gunplay. There's stuff going on here that's far from perfect, but that could be fantastic with a bit more care and polish."

"Is this the season's must-have horror game? Nope, but there's a lot here that fans of Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu will appreciate. Sure, there's still a sense that the truly great Lovecraft adaptation has yet to push back the door of dread R'lyeh and rise to the surface, but until it does – or a sequel brings improvements – this will more than do."

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
In my experience I had the option for two
when I didn't save a particular NPC.
On my second run there were two additional ending options, and one fewer,
when I did save that NPC and they were present at the ceremony.
Either way the last autosave is before you have to make a choice.
It isn't just
that NPC
that switches which options you have access to,
various options through the game do too, I'm guessing your second run took some different decisions which will have unlocked the others.