• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-san-bernardino-solar-renewable-energy-20190228-story.html

California's largest county has banned the construction of large solar and wind farms on more than 1 million acres of private land, bending to the will of residents who say they don't want renewable energy projects industrializing their rural desert communities northeast of Los Angeles.

People are willing to experience climate change in the long-term because they don't want their land covered with wind turbines or solar panels.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
They don;t want industrializing thier desert communities. That they moved into. And in doing so ruined the natural setting. Just because it might upset their views. Yup.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
I use to live in SB county. These people are on fucking meth if they think wind/solar farms will make their community look any worse.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
I live in San Bernardino County (high Desert area)...wtf are they smoking lol. This place isn't scenic at all

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Well... the high desert is the people's desert to make I guess... xP

I understand why they'd want to push against decisions like these on some level, places like Joshua Tree and co., retaining that identification and complacency as a natural sandy repose from the city, and untampered with as a natural desert system. But in this case the greater good might be on the state's side, as clean energy Izz rarely worth the axin'.

The low desert has its own windmill farm by the highway and it is a welcome view. I don't know how much more susceptible it leaves the area to sand storms though, lol.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
People from the High Desert think it looks nice there? The coolest part about the high desert is when you drive by that big solar farm. And what did the people threaten to leave or something? You'd think they'd be cool with all the biker gangs and meth heads moving out.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't want industrialization? It's basically a giant warehouse complex and mostly quite poor. Sounds like special interest fuckery to me.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Increasing Energy output without a condiderable storage solution in place wouldn't decrease CO2 emissions anyway. Cali should start looking at some p2g or ph projects if they're actually serious about going renewable else they're just throwing money at solar panel producers. Their Wind/solar profile is also pretty bad sadly because they overlap in seasonality which basically double the necessary TWh of storage, so the storage issue is the First thing they should tackle

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
NIMBYs either seem particularly strong in California or they get reported on disproportionately.

Is there some kind of legal reason why they seem to be able to get their way so frequently? Here in Missouri it feels really hard for NIMBYs to win anything because the local governments want those sweet, sweet kickbacks and they already get what they need from the residential neighborhoods.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People from the High Desert think it looks nice there? The coolest part about the high desert is when you drive by that big solar farm. And what did the people threaten to leave or something? You'd think they'd be cool with all the biker gangs and meth heads moving out.

Gonna ruin the local meth head ecosystem.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With how often this happens I have to ask are most of these cases NIMBYs or monied lobbying interests? It's hard for me to believe that people have this much power and unity to wield and that lawmakers haven't stepped in to limit them. Can we get a one sided documentary on the history there?

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't understand this sentiment one bit. I remember being on a bus and driving past a vast array of wind turbines in the Japanese countryside and being so fucking proud that we as a species could harness the wind itself for our power. Those turbines are some of the most beatiful looking man-made things in the world to me.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nimbyism stopped the actual solution, nuclear, from catching on. Why not have it stop the feel good solutions?

Arol

Avenger
Dec 29, 2017
What about the public land?

San Bernardino is huge. You could build a huge solar and wind farm out there and I don't think anyone would notice for decades.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can ignore the will of the citizens of San Bernardino. I feel comfortable with that. I've got family there, please ignore them at all costs.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
SB being scenic? Please.
114b0d3e91e929ef8b64614cae1f933f--texas-humor-planet-fitness.jpg

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Hey man in 2049 your county is solar farms and mine is a garbage dump. Take your pick.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
NIMBYs either seem particularly strong in California or they get reported on disproportionately.

Is there some kind of legal reason why they seem to be able to get their way so frequently? Here in Missouri it feels really hard for NIMBYs to win anything because the local governments want those sweet, sweet kickbacks and they already get what they need from the residential neighborhoods.
I don't live in Cali but I believe the California Environmental Quality Act. Is the specific law that birthed California NIMBYs.