• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I hear a fellow Californian show desire to leave the state it's usually some dumb shit like "California taxes too high".

I live in a low cost of living state and I used to have to drive people (business men) from out of state around the city. They would often tell me how cheap things are here and would stock up on jeans and boots etc etc to take back home.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
That's what I hear from my dad. My parents are looking to move to Arizona next year to be closer to their grandkids (my son lives in the San Diego area and my brother lives in Scottsdale with his wife and daughter).

This makes more sense to me than Texas if the main reason is to pay less in taxes. People moving from these "high tax" states/cities to places like Texas or Florida will be in for a surprise if they ever want to become homeowners in the major cities in these states and start paying those property taxes. The cost of housing in some of the major metro areas in Texas and Florida are going to become very unaffordable for the middle class very soon with rising home prices (especially in Texas) to go along with property taxes. I'm not from California, but I don't think the offset income taxes make that much of a difference unless you are making a pretty high income.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This makes more sense to me than Texas if the main reason is to pay less in taxes. People moving from these "high tax" states/cities to places like Texas or Florida will be in for a surprise if they ever want to become homeowners in the major cities in these states and start paying those property taxes. The cost of housing in some of the major metro areas in Texas and Florida are going to become very unaffordable for the middle class very soon with rising home prices (especially in Texas) to go along with property taxes. I'm not from California, but I don't think the offset income taxes make that much of a difference unless you are making a pretty high income.
Yes Texas nearly 3% property taxes and sky-high insurance is great. The overall costs may be lower than Cali, but in the metro areas, prices continue to climb like you said.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Texans, I know a few people that just decided to get up and move to Texas without even thinking twice. They basically did it for the hell of it and thought it's the new place to be. Californians suck. Oh, and btw, people please stop moving to California!!! There are 48 other states to choose from besides Texas and Cali.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This really feels like a story intending to support a narrative ("Californians are all moving to Texas to get away from taxes!")

15% of all Americans currently live in CA
<15% of all Americans moving to Texas are from CA

It's exactly what you would expect.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
It's worth saying a good number of Californians moving to certain areas are actual "persecuted" Republicans. Areas like McKinney are attempting to become red strongholds with groups pushing the idea that you can move to those areas if you get fed up with how liberal California is.

Vice highlighted the phenomenon here:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the population density is for this map.

a) The blue is where all the people live and where all the population is going
b) the poster you quoted is right but also incorrect - people ARE Moving to counties surrounding the cities and ARE turning them purple. For example, my county is the other blue county next to houston. it was a deep red county before and for the first time it's purple, electing democrats to countywide spots. it's a county that went blue for beto in 2018. the suburbs in Texas (aka the suburbs of Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, etc) is where the next battles will be.

15% is...completely proportional. Not sure why this is a big deal.

Also, wow at those pro-Texas slogans and signs against California.
You know a state where you DON'T see such insecurity manifesting itself in propaganda? California.

Whatever this supposed rivalry is, no Californian here seems to know about it.

How is that dumb shit? The taxes are too damn high. Same with the price of everything else from gas to electricity to housing.

We are talking 3-5% higher tax burden, in comparison to most U.S. states. And we actually have a somewhat fair tax ratio for lower to middle income citizens who live here.
It's not like we are 10-15% higher than all the other states, as so many seem to be implying.

It's even more ridiculous to cite that extra 3-4% as the main reason to move.

If you're wealthy, though, you're gonna get majorly taxed in CA - as should be the case.

Housing cost is, by far, the biggest monetary reason to move from CA. It's out of control. And ironically, the low property tax in CA is one of the reasons to blame for our high home prices.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Trick statement, Texas is already a purple state if it wasn't for voter suppression.

Texas has better voting laws than some blue states.

www.dallasnews.com

Native Texans voted for native Texan Beto O'Rourke, transplants went for Ted Cruz, exit poll shows

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Beto O’Rourke fought during the Senate race over who was more Texan. It turns out that native Texan voters...

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Now I feel stupidy. I'd expect that one of the states with the highest population would account for the highest migration to Texas.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
15% is...completely proportional. Not sure why this is a big deal.

Also, wow at those pro-Texas slogans and signs against California.
You know a state where you DON'T see such insecurity manifesting itself in propaganda? California.

Whatever this supposed rivalry is, no Californian here seems to know about it.

We are talking 3-5% higher tax burden, in comparison to most U.S. states. And we actually have a somewhat fair tax ratio for lower to middle income citizens who live here.
It's not like we are 10-15% higher than all the other states, as so many seem to be implying.

It's even more ridiculous to cite that extra 3-4% as the main reason to move.

If you're wealthy, though, you're gonna get majorly taxed in CA - as should be the case.

Housing cost is, by far, the biggest monetary reason to move from CA. It's out of control. And ironically, the low property tax in CA is one of the reasons to blame for our high home prices.

I wish this could be on auto reply every time people complain about liberal policies making California too expensive. Now these people complaining about high taxes in California can go look for a house in Austin, Dallas, or Houston and enjoy calculating the property tax and insurance(especially in Houston).

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Swing Texas Blue? The true liberal agenda and the latest hit album.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Is it? I bet those red areas don't have to worry about Polls closing down or getting shuffled around randomly
Probably not. And blue areas generally have pretty wide opportunities to vote. I'm in a DFW suburb and get about two weeks to early vote (including weekends) at any voting location within the county. And day of, I think you're still able to vote anywhere within the county.

The only thing that's difficult is non-easy access to absentee ballots (and ID requirements). But in general, two weeks and any polling location is plenty to be able to find 20min to vote. At some point, people have to put in a basic level of effort to get to the polls.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
There was some statistics from last year's election I remember hearing that transplants mostly voted Republican in TX, and they're to blame for Beto losing... So...

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

The "high income taxes" subsection definitely are people making a high income. Those folks are, by and large, the tech and tech-related (i.e. Streamers) workforce who tend to be younger and also tend to be just fine with renting. So they get the break that they want in income taxes while still contributing to housing cost overall going up and putting stress on cities infrastructure (Austin was a mess 10 years ago, I can't imagine it now).

But generally, yes, people moving from California to Texas are running from the housing prices and higher cost of living. And even with Texas costs rising, it's still cheaper by comparison.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to see Cali turn a red state blue, look at what Hollywood is doing to Atlanta.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This really feels like a story intending to support a narrative ("Californians are all moving to Texas to get away from taxes!")

15% of all Americans currently live in CA
<15% of all Americans moving to Texas are from CA

It's exactly what you would expect.
Yeah, I was gonna post this.

California only has about 12% of the population of the U.S., but, like...this is kind of a nothing story.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that the people are deciding to move here to dodge taxes. It's their employers. We're stealing yer jerbs.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't mind people moving to where there's a better living. But please...for the love of all that is holy...don't come to Houston. We full enough as it is. If yo ass ain't on YOUR side of town by 3:30-4pm WEEKDAY.....STAY WHERE YOU AT.....cause traffic is a muthafucka

Even that has to be better than Los Angeles traffic?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I'm pretty sure the cost of housing will still be cheaper than the major metropolitan areas/tech sectors of CA, though, and will always be. If they ever reach equilibrium you'll the migration stop.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
I'm pretty sure the cost of housing will still be cheaper than the major metropolitan areas/tech sectors of CA, though, and will always be. If they ever reach equilibrium you'll the migration stop.

It isn't the housing prices have to become equal. The housing prices just have to increase enough to offset the difference in income tax with the increased property taxes.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So what happens when all these Californians drive up the cost of living in Texan cities? Do they or Texans just move to the next cities in 5-10 years and start the cycle all over again?

Because this endless rotation of passing the buck from city to city doesn't seem sustainable.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
How quickly we forget about the last election for Governor.
I know you just snap that off without thinking. But do more than a surface read of "R won, doom and gloom".

THey broke out every cheat in the book and it was still down to the wire. Abrhams lost by 55k votes the prvious Demo governor candiate lost by almost 5 times amount. The previous one by 6 times that amount. Georgia is trending blue and it might happen in the next election

Last edited:

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Even that has to be better than Los Angeles traffic?
My wife is actually from Pasadena, CA and she says LA traffic IS worse. Even so....without the traffic Houston is so huge that to get to one cardinal direction of town to the other takes approximately an hour. So WITH traffic....yeah fuck all that.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So what happens when all these Californians drive up the cost of living in Texan cities? Do they or Texans just move to the next cities in 5-10 years and start the cycle all over again?

Because this endless rotation of passing the buck from city to city doesn't seem sustainable.

It's kind of on where the jobs go, isn't it? Unless companies (even tech companies) trust their employees enough to make telecommuting more widespread, the cost of housing and everything else will go up when higher paying jobs become available there.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
People shouldn't assume the Californians moving here are blue. Many of them are trying to escape California's politics.

And reminder that more transplants voted for Cruz than Beto.

Yeah, the people in Washington I hear experss want to move seem more like they are Republican than Democrat (I don't live in Seattle, just near and we do have a decent amount of republicans here). And yes, they cite taxes. I doubt our transplants are going to make another state blue so much as make ours bluer by leaving.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Why do people think it's just the Democrats that would move here? There's a shit load of Republicans in California.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're moving to Austin or Houston, Dallas. Not rural Texas

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The wealthy are leaving because of the high California taxes, doubt they are going to make the Tx any bluer.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty short sighted. Sure you're paying less taxes now but people need to start thinking about which country they're going to be trapped in when the breakup occurs.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I know you just snap that off without thinking. But do more than a surface read of "R won, doom and gloom".

THey broke out every cheat in the book and it was still down to the wire. Abrhams lost by 55k votes the prvious Demo governor candiate lost by almost 5 times amount. The previous one by 6 times that amount. Georgia is trending blue and it might happen in the next election

It's not that I just snap it off without thinking but rather that I don't trust the rest of the state not to follow suit of other Red states and do everything in their power to reduce the effectiveness of Blue voters. Especially given how close it was last time.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
people making this out to be some political bullet point when its just californians fleeing insane housing prices and saturated job markets.