• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Being reported in the LA Times and BI
www.latimes.com

California voters asked to vote by mail in November due to coronavirus fears

Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered ballots be mailed to the state's 20.6 million voters for the November election while imposing new rules for in-person voting.

www.businessinsider.com

California will now send every registered voter a mail-in ballot for November elections, in light of coronavirus concerns

"The right to vote is foundational to our democracy. No one should be forced to risk their health to exercise that right," Gov. Gavin Newsom said.

The state already had "generous rules for absentee voting since 2002, allowing voters to opt for permanent voting by mail regardless of the reason," the outlet reported.

The LA Times also added that health officials don't believe the coronavirus outbreak would "subside enough" for traditional elections to move forward safely.

Padilla said the postage on ballots will be pre-paid.

Hopefully more states will follow, it really should be the norm to easily vote by mail for every eligible voter.

California has 20.6 million registered voters, the LA Times reported. The measure would only be applicable for the November elections.
Well, it's a start at least.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Omg I hope more states adopt this. I want this in MS so bad.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
The twitter comments are full of fucking losers lol. Glad I'm in this state. It's as close to Canada as I'm going to get lol.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The twitter comments are full of fucking losers lol. Glad I'm in this state. It's as close to Canada as I'm going to get lol.
I just can't wrap my head around them. What fucking agenda does Newsom (or any sane individual for that matter) have with vote by mail.

Besides, CA is already a Democratic state so wtf is their thought process

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
We'll probably still be counting ballots through Inauguration Day.

There are already sates that do mail-in for everyone. We've been doing this for a few years in Colorado, and we still find out the results in the same timeframes as old elections.

I think it is Washington and Oregon that also do this, and even one red state, Utah.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I just can't wrap my head around them. What fucking agenda does Newsom (or any sane individual for that matter) have with vote by mail.

You know. The same old shit about "voter fraud", "Illegals, "dead voters", etc. Don't be surprised to see a lot of fuckery in red/swing states. They know they can't legitimately so that's an unfair advantage to them.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Ugh, just looked in the comments. I just.......can't even understand. Somehow they believe this leads to voter fraud? How? If you show up in person, they check your name off a register. Surely those registers will show if you already sent in a mail-in ballot....

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
There are already sates that do mail-in for everyone. We've been doing this for a few years in Colorado, and we still find out the results in the same timeframes as old elections.
CA takes forever to count mail-in ballots in a normal election. Throw some more millions on the usual number (which is a lot already) and we'll see how it goes here. Won't matter for the Presidential race obviously, but some House seats could take awhile to count.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Vote by mail is convenient and allows for easier participation. Republicans cant win without suppressing the vote .

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
CA's early voting system is the gold standard for how every state should handle elections. And if a state of 40 million can manage it, there are no excuses for anywhere else in America...except for the decades-long tradition of Republicans deliberately suppressing voters and sabotaging the democratic process at every opportunity.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Good move. No reason every state shouldn't make mail in voting their primary means of voting given the state of things. It won't be a trivial effort to put in place for Nov, but it can be done. There is time if they act now. Every state offers absentee mail-in votes. They all have the means and systems in place already on how to handle them, they simply need to ramp up those systems to manage the entire voting populace.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
ive been a california absentee ballot voter since I was 18. Never stepped foot in a polling place. i've been doing my part for years.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I feel like California made this easy enough already. As an overseas absentee voter "based" in California, they email my ballot to me these days. I can either mail it to the US afterwards or fax it.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Good. Hope more states follow suit.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
I'm here for it! My previous polling place was at a senior assisted living facility in my neighborhood and there was zero chance of that place being used again. Don't know where my county's department of elections was at in shifting to all mail-in, but this order will energize the effort.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's really nice is that it's automatic. I don't have to jump through hoops to get the mail in ballot. It couldn't be any easier.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
What's really nice is that it's automatic. I don't have to jump through hoops to get the mail in ballot. It couldn't be any easier.
To be fair, the "hoops" are just filling out the card and sending it back when you get the sample ballot (and checking the box if you want permanent vote-by-mail).

Everyone should do that regardless, and then it won't just be "applicable for the November elections"; you'll get your ballot in the mail for every election.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the "hoops" are just filling out the card and sending it back when you get the sample ballot (and checking the box if you want permanent vote-by-mail).

Everyone should do that regardless, and then it won't just be "applicable for the November elections"; you'll get your ballot in the mail for every election.
I don't remember even having to do that for the primaries. They just sent me mail in ballots for the past primaries, without me signing up.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Gotta make sure to do mail in vote for Colorado, regardless of what I think of Biden, Gardner has to get kicked to the curb.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Can voting by mail being disrupted/tampered with the new postmaster being a Trump crony?