• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it must be easy to point it out and not rely on someone editorializing.

I mean, plenty of kids at 2:11 look pretty uncomfortable, the way they keep putting their hands to the face, but I already know you're going to claim you don't see anybody being uncomfortable at that part so why bother.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has to do with a society that shits on people for speaking out, especially young people, and especially women. There's no way that doesn't color a lot of people's perception when they want to frame it a certain way.

Also, damn you have a lot of insults ready for this girl. Like, a lot.

Of course I have a lot of "insults" ( or rather, valid criticisms of specific behavior) ready. I've been practicing criticizing conceited inappropriate public speeches a lot these last 2/3 years.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Do you have a link that shows she didn't voice her concerns earlier?
Do you have a link that she did? Because if she did that school district needs to be investigated. Is hard for me to believe that none of the students didn't say anything to their parents about a drunk teacher getting arrested in front of them. Especially during this Snapchat era were kids would film any drama at school.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is not what you know is what you can prove. Kids will cheer at anything. Because if she really gave a shit she would have voice her concerns to the district a long time ago. If not by her, her parents. I refuse to believe a teacher gets arrested in front of students and said teacher kept their job.
And she was probably driven to this because she tried to raise concerns that were ignored.

That makes more sense than sue just felt like causing this much fuss for nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the problems with this platform being so one-sided are being displayed in this very thread. There's a lot of people just absolutely convinced that everything she says is 100% legitimate despite not ever meeting her, knowing anything about the school district, or the people involved. That's why I don't think this was an appropriate way of addressing this situation. An actual investigation is what I would support. Naming and shaming like this can lead to undue harassment if there's been a misunderstanding. It comes across as irresponsible and short-sighted. If she isn't completely on ball here, innocent people could literally be hurt.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Do you have a link that she did? Because if she did that school district needs to be investigated. Is hard for me to believe that none of the students didn't say anything to their parents about a drunk teacher getting arrested in front of them. Especially during this Snapchat era were kids would film any drama at school.

I'm not the one making the claim that she did, nor would I care if she didn't.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Kids will cheer at anything

Hey, but dumb kids, right? What do they know?

Of course I have a lot of "insults" ( or rather, valid criticisms of specific behavior) ready. I've been practicing criticizing conceited inappropriate public speeches a lot these last 2/3 years.
No need to put "insults" in quotes, those were pretty cutting critiques aimed at her character.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I mean, plenty of kids at 2:11 look pretty uncomfortable, the way they keep putting their hands to the face, but I already know you're going to claim you don't see anybody being uncomfortable at that part so why bother.

Well that is my point, it is a completely idiotic statement.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, if she's Valedictorian, she has almost certainly been accepted somewhere and have stuff like classes and possibly dorm room scheduled/assigned. She should be fine, hopefully.
The problem with this speech is that everyone knows what school you are going to. There is now a 100% probability that some bitter counselor or administrator will call it to the university's attention in hopes that they rescind their offer of admission. If that happens then you are basically screwed because it's too late to apply anywhere else and deadlines for signing up to other schools have passed.

Oct 25, 2017

Plenty of kids are smart and brave and deserve respect. That doesn't mean mobs in general won't cheer for chaos. Other than my chicken example on the last page, I've literally been to a graduation where everyone went crazy and loved it because someone didn't wear anything under their gown and mooned the audience. It's ok to look at these situations more critically sometimes.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that is my point, it is a completely idiotic statement.

You were the one going off about "bad faith" arguing earlier, right? So what exactly was the point of demanding timestamps and proof about people being uncomfortable, if nothing someone could provide, be the direct quote from the article or literal timestamp, would sway your already made up mind?

Cool it with calling people idiots.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The problem with this speech is that everyone knows what school you are going to. There is now a 100% probability that some bitter counselor or administrator will call it to the university's attention in hopes that they rescind their offer of admission. If that happens then you are basically screwed because it's too late to apply anywhere else and deadlines for signing up to other schools have passed.
I don't think that will happen, which is of course a good thing. The only element that could present a problem is the whole misrepresenting the content of her speech thing.

She doesn't deserve any academic action taken against her. She did what she thought was right.

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
And she was probably driven to this because she tried to raise concerns that were ignored.

That makes more sense than sue just felt like causing this much fuss for nothing.
Yes, that could be a possibility but I don't buy it. Because that means every single parent in that room failed their children in allowing a drunk teacher be around their kids.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that will happen, which is of course a good thing. The only element that could present a problem is the whole misrepresenting the content of her speech thing.

She doesn't deserve any academic action taken against her. She did what she thought was right.

I agree. Assuming no one got hurt, it would be exceedingly petty to ruin her future over this (which would definitely back up her claims of the school being shitty).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that could be a possibility but I don't buy it. Because that means every single parent in that room failed their children in allowing a drunk teacher be around their kids.

I buy it because it's far more likely this young women uses a platform to stand up in front of everyone who knows the truth and speak about it.

Chances she stood up like this and lied when people could just prove her wrong easily are so much lower.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You really are a piece of work.

My point was that there is a correct venue to air complaints, and this wasn't it. Not everyone needs to go nuclear.

Keep being toxic and gross.

Why wasn't this it? Why is publicly challenging complete systemic incompetence in this venue wrong?

You were the one going off about "bad faith" arguing earlier, right? So what exactly was the point of demanding timestamps and proof about people being uncomfortable, if nothing someone could provide, be the direct quote from the article or literal timestamp, would sway your already made up mind?

Cool it with calling people idiots.

I didn't call anyone an idiot, but the statement was certainly idiotic. And the point is you can't prove it, so don't argue it.

Oct 25, 2017
I buy it because it's far more likely this young women uses a platform to stand up in front of everyone who knows the truth and speak about it.

Chances she stood up like this and lied when people could just prove her wrong easily are so much lower.

I envy you in that you obviously haven't met many of the crazies that make up America. I want to remind you that 40% of the population thinks that Trump is a model president.

Jul 18, 2018
Probably true for the most part, but I feel like higher institutions, such as what a valedictorian might be applying to, are probably more concerned with 'proper etiquette' than your average mid-tier school. I dunno, I never went to an ivy league, but a lot of them can afford to be overly zealous about proper procedure. I doubt most schools would want a graduate that might create their soap box during important moments. Always depends on the institution of course.
A Lot of institutions do not really care. But like you said, it depends on institutions, which goes back to not caring because some will get resources/money allocated to them from state or other funds for the programs for the valedictorian. State schools will already bring them in regardless, it's a free ride for most. But yea will depend, but i feel they will definitely be able to secure a spot in most of their choices.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The things that affected her, if true, would have affected the other kids.

She was speaking for everyone.
Again, as an advisor, that's not necessarily the case.

We regularly give more attention to underprivileged and underperforming students than the valedictorian.

I remember the parents of an extremely high-performing and wealthy student freaking out because a scholarship that was awarding a free laptop went to a student from a poor family with a slightly lower GPA (the girl had also recently lost her home in a fire).

When I heard this rant, that's the sort of student I'm reminded of. The privileged and entitled ones who always demand more attention, not the underprivileged kids that actually deserve that attention.

Oct 25, 2017
A Lot of institutions do not really care. But like you said, it depends on institutions, which goes back to not caring because some will get resources/money allocated to them from state or other funds for the programs for the valedictorian. State schools will already bring them in regardless, it's a free ride for most. But yea will depend, but i feel they will definitely be able to secure a spot in most of their choices.

I do think some insituations might actually value a student willing to make an effort like this. It's really a complicated picture.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Again, as an advisor, that's not necessarily the case.

We regularly give more attention to underprivileged and underperforming students than the valedictorian.

I remember the parents of an extremely high-performing and wealthy student freaking out because a scholarship that was awarding a free laptop went to a student from a poor family with a slightly lower GPA (the girl had also recently lost her home in a fire).

When I heard this rant, that's the sort of student I'm reminded of. The privileged and entitled ones who always demand more attention, not the underprivileged kids that actually deserve that attention.

"Rant"

Let's just leave it.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

So you're assuming because she highly performed and became valedictorian, she's well off too? Even when she makes a point that knowing about those scholarships would have been helpful in her speech? Jeez you folks are really reaching to paint this kid in a negative light lol

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
"You were always unavailable to my parents and I."

Valedictorian eh?
She should have roasted her English teachers too.
Instead of concentrating on the fact that she's a callous dumbass who attacks people with diseases, I pointed out the irony of her being the valedictorian. Both are examples of her not being all that bright.
So go after the school administrators, not the person with the disease. That's something someone with little to no empathy or intelligence does.
Kids are notorious for being bright.
Thus why I'm not going to celebrate when they act like idiots.
But asking a child to act like an adult is asking too much so yeah she handled this stupidly, but hopefully she'll learn from it.
Your ceaseless attempts to zero in on her intelligence are frankly disturbing. Unless you operate in a STEM or academic field, she's likely smarter at this moment than you or anyone else in here, as the knowledge she's gained hasn't begun to burn away post-high school yet. I would imagine this would extend to a good chunk of the class you and others have been making ageist digs at too.

How quickly everyone here forgets not just the knowledge they gain in high school (naturally, of course. If you don't use it you lose it), but also what it's like to deal with the inadequacies of a high school faculty that isn't there to support you and indeed will set you up to fail to a certain extent. Most likely due to budgetary and staff constraints and not out of malice, but if you're a student the end result isn't all that different between the two, and the alcoholic teacher certainly speaks to some major administrative dysfunction. Kudos to her for speaking out.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Why wasn't this it? Why is publicly challenging complete systemic incompetence in this venue wrong?

Because she had YEARS to bring it up in venues that would have allowed for investigations to be conducted and the truth to be determined.

EVERY school has procedures in place for this type of thing. Complaints, both true and false, are extremely common in schools from parents, teachers, and students... in good schools and bad schools. I work in a small school of only 700-800 students and I know of at least a dozen or so accusations a year that go through the process.

Instead she was a bully who decided to use her platform to publicly crucify people who have no ability to defend themselves against the accusations.

Who knows, maybe she went through the correct channels and was ignored, but I doubt it considering the content of her speech. If she was ignored then her speech is justified.

(Now to wait for your shallow knee jerk response.)

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What a disgusting thread.

Good on her for calling out those that failed her during her time there, fuck all this "not the right time and place" bs.
She should have submitted the proper forms in triplicate to the school administration and waited 3-4 weeks for a notarized response, that is the responsible thing to do after all. Everyone knows change always comes from only going through the proper channels, just look at another system with no systemic inadequecies like the police.
Your ceaseless attempts to zero in on her intelligence are frankly disturbing. Unless you operate in a STEM or academic field, she's likely smarter at this moment than you or anyone else in here. I would imagine this would extend to a good chunk of the class you and others have been making ageist digs at too.
It's really gross, crazy that's an okay thing to do.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
She should have submitted the proper forms in triplicate to the school administration and waited 3-4 weeks for a notarized response, that is the responsible thing to do after all. Everyone knows change always comes from only going through the proper channels.
Strawman much?

Also, just because the proper channels don't always work is not a reason to never use them.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If she gave the school any heads up about her speech, it would have been denied and they would have been ready to cut off the mic if she followed through.She was smart enough to realize this. Staff was completely caught off guard so they didn't have time to react. I applaud her bravery, and am confident she's going to be very successful in life. We need more boss women like her.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): Inflammatory false equivalence, concern trolling
If she gave the school any heads up about her speech, it would have been denied and they would have been ready to cut off the mic if she followed through. Staff was completely caught off guard so they didn't have time to react. I applaud her bravery, and am confident she's going to be very successful in life. We need more boss women like her.

Just for the sake of argument, what if this girl used her speech to start talking about a teacher who had an abortion and that the immorality of it ruined her school experience, and that her inability to pray in school at the start of each class caused her undue suffering? Would we be applauding her bravery of speaking out in this venue?

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I think it's a perfect reason not to use them if you know a surefire way to get your message heard.

Yes, it is indeed the best path if your goal is personal attention.

When a person at my work is job to me I should immediately record it and post it online rather than asking my supervisor to counsel the person on what type of conduct is expected at work.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Because she had YEARS to bring it up in venues that would have allowed for investigations to be conducted and the truth to be determined.

EVERY school has procedures in place for this type of thing. Complaints, both true and false, are extremely common in schools from parents, teachers, and students... in good schools and bad schools. I work in a small school of only 700-800 students and I know of at least a dozen or so accusations a year that go through the process.

Instead she was a bully who decided to use her platform to publicly crucify people who have no ability to defend themselves against the accusations.

Who knows, maybe she went through the correct channels and was ignored, but I doubt it considering the content of her speech. If she was ignored then her speech is justified.

(Now to wait for your shallow knee jerk response.)

I'll ignore the fact your entire perspective relies on something you can't prove and just say that if you are given a public platform, possibly the only one you'll ever be given, using that to highlight failures in a system will ALWAYS be a good thing. And if you're response is "well, what if she is lying?" I obviously can't prove she isn't and you can't prove she is, but I'd be more than willing to bet on the side of the school's incompetence in this instance.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Just for the sake of argument, what if this girl used her speech to start talking about a teacher who had an abortion and that the immorality of it ruined her school experience, and that her inability to pray in school at the start of each class caused her undue suffering? Would we be applauding her bravery of speaking out in this venue?

Both sides are exactly the same. Someone post that tweet.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yes, it is indeed the best path if your goal is personal attention.

When a person at my work is job to me I should immediately record it and post it online rather than asking my supervisor to counsel the person on what type of conduct is expected at work.
How are you sure her goal was personal attention? Are you going to just say because she used personal anecdotes on stage? Is it not at least equally as likely she did that as examples of the dysfunction she was addressing?

Does your work have decades of systemic inadequecy? If so, yes I would advocate you not going through those channels.