• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all,

I'll be heading to California in May with my wife for the first time and we are pretty excited. So far we have mapped a very vague iternary - but I was hoping for some recommendations on what to do!

If what we have listed so far is no good, please correct me and send me elsewhere.

Day 1 - San Francisco
Golden Gate Bridge / Take a cable car to Fisherman's Warf / Pier 39 go to Twin Peaks at night for view. *looking for restaurant recommendations !*

Day 2 - Napa Valley
V Sattui Winery
Hall St. Wines St. Helene

Day 2 Evening -> Drive to Yosemite Park BNB

Day 3: Yosemite Park
Yosemite Lower Falls / Yosemite Mist Trail (where to eat afterwords?)

Day 3 Evening -> Drive to Santa Cruz Boulder Creek AirBnB

Day 4 Roadtrip
Big Basin Redwood Park / Railroad Train trip through forest
Drive famous highway down coast and stop along the way to see the sights at Big Sur
End roadtrip in Goleta AirBnB

Day 5 LA
Have breakfast in Santa Barbara at Boathouse Hendrys
Drive to LA / spend all day in LA (See Hollywood Sign / Observatory (what else to do in LA?)

Day 6 Drive from LA to San Diego
Surfing Lessons with Wife in San Diego *Need Restaurant Recommendations

Day 7: San Diego
S
an Diego Zoo (from what I understand this is an all day kind of thing?

What do you all think? What should I swap out/what restaurants to go to/what to do in LA/SD/SF!

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
You're in for an experience at Yosemite. It's mind blowing.

Also for SD, if possibly, I strongly suggest Safari Park over the main Zoo. It's better in every way.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
If you're in San Francisco you gotta check out the Ferry Building for some food stuffs and Amoeba Music if you're into neat pickup spots for some records. Actually tons of record shops along that street last I was there.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I live in Goleta it's a nice area. When you go to Santa Barbara you might want to stay clear of State Street it's mostly closed shops and homeless. Boathouse on the beach is nice though, I used to get burgers there for lunch when I went to city college.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
You're doing all of that in 7 days? Seems like way too much. La, SF, and SD should not be seen in one day.

LA go to The Comedy Store at night.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you only have a week stick with either NorCal or SoCal. I mean you could spend a while day in Santa Cruz for example.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your plan is absolutely nuts. That just seems like way too much. I'd cut down the locations in half and actually get to enjoy where you're going.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like too much for 7 days. If you have that little time in LA I would just add Grand Central Market so you can try a variety of food and then that will be most of your day. You are gonna be missing a ton of what LA has to offer.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
I personally find Napa to be overrated. Sonoma's where it's at.

A couple Sonoma county wineries I like that would be good for a visitor:
- Dry Creek Vineyard: a bit of a drive, but a lot of great wineries in the area, and this is one of my personal favorites. Lovely grounds, too.
- Valley of the Moon (aka Madrone): Great selection all around. Close to Glen Ellen, which is a tiny little town with some awesome restaurants.

Speaking of Glen Ellen, Jack London State Historic Park is nearby and a hidden gem.

If you decide to do Napa after all, check out Oxbow Public Market for lunch. Unfortunately, the downtown isn't as lively as Sonoma's, which also features the Bear Flag Monument.

Going back to the SF area for a minute, drive to Mt. Diablo State Park in the East Bay (my old stomping grounds) and take in the view! Mt. Diablo is also the inspiration for the title of Diablo, so it has a special significance for gamers.

Your schedule is... kind of bonkers, as others have noted, but hope this helps.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some Sonoma county wineries I like that would be good for a visitor:
- Dry Creek Vineyard: a bit of a drive, but a lot of great wineries in the area, and this is one of my personal favorites. Lovely grounds, too.
- Valley of the Moon (aka Madrone): Great selection all around. Close to Glen Ellen, which is a tiny little town with some awesome restaurants.

Speaking of Glen Ellen, Jack London State Historic Park is nearby and a hidden gem.

If you decide to do Napa after all, check out Oxbow Public Market for lunch. Unfortunately, the downtown isn't as lively as Sonoma's, which also features the Bear Flag Monument.

Going back to the SF area for a minute, drive to Mt. Diablo State Park in the East Bay (my old stomping grounds) and take in the view! Mt. Diablo is also the inspiration for the title of Diablo, so it has a special significance for gamers.

Your schedule is... kind of insane, as others have noted, but hope this helps.
Sonoma is so much more laid back! And the wine is still excellent. Don't have to worry about reservations for wineries usually. Good recommendation.

Babyshaq90

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah while it might be nice to see all that in 7 days you guys will be exhausted. Yosemite to Santa Cruz itself is a almost 4 hour drive.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Almost everything on your list seem like multi-day ventures. The drive from redwoods to LA alone is a whole day. But I see that you have that scheduled for a whole day. I guess on your way down if you have time and weather permits, go see Hearst Castle.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Sonoma is so much more laid back! And the wine is still excellent. Don't have to worry about reservations for wineries usually. Good recommendation.
Thanks, and yeah, Sonoma's laid-back style is my personal preference over touristy Napa.

Your note about reservations reminded me of something, which the OP will want to make note of: wineries sometimes host private events, so it may be a good idea to call ahead on the day you want to visit (or check their website's event calendar) to be sure they won't be closed to the public.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I understand it's a ridiculous amount in 7 days, but I don't know when again I'll be able to go to California... My wife and I packed an insane amount when we went to Russia and I felt like I needed a vacation from my vacation - BUT - it was also one of the best trips of my life.

I think we can manage it, we are pretty experienced travelers.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I would stay in the much better California, NorCal, for the week ;)

Sonoma is amazing, beautiful, has a lovely rustic vibe, and ofc the wine is incredible. Highly recommend it over Napa as someone else said.

Random restaurant recommendation - Shizen in SF (vegan sushi which is very SF, that defies the moniker of just being sushi with vegetables, it's incredible)

Any other restaurant just depends on what you want to eat, you can pretty much get any kind of cuisine in SF & it will be delicious

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
That's too much packed into one trip. As a native Californian I'd advise you to rethink the scope of your trip. Focus on what you want to do the most and rework your plans around that. Also note that this time of year for Yosemite is the most popular time for visitors and the park does limit guests. Also note that highway 1 through Big Sur takes much longer than i5, and is prone to long delays due to one lane sections from road work.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I have to agree with the others that you may want to just do SoCal or NorCal. I'd suggest SoCal, but Yosemite is too good to not see.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Yeah. You're going to be spending way more time driving than sightseeing.

You've got quite a few forum members recommending you pare down the plans, I myself included, have lived all my life in California - the state is much bigger than you probably think and those roads are not all quick to get around

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
SF & SD restaurants: What's your budget & what kind of food do you like?

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As someone who just took a trip to Napa and Sonoma, the latter is much more worth your time. Less costly and much more chill. Tres Sabores was great, though.

Also, you have too many things on your itinerary. Cut it by at least 30% or you'll be too exhausted to really enjoy it.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A couple Sonoma county wineries I like that would be good for a visitor:

Your schedule is... kind of bonkers, as others have noted, but hope this helps.
Thanks man! Will do some research on the places noted.

If I do end up doing the bonkers outline above, I promise to post photos from everywhere. :)

Oct 30, 2017
in SF, if it can fit in your schedule of course, do the Alcatraz tour. It's touristy, sure, but awesome. takes 3-4 hours though.

Also if you're a junk food fan, I took my time in CA sampling the various fast food restaurants that I don't have access to on the east coast. My favorite: Carl's Jr.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should drive down coast to Big Sur and visit Hearst Castle if possible. Death Valley in spring too.

co-signed on Alcatraz - best touristy thing in CA and get the award winning audio tour. Muir Woods National Park and do the dipsea trail hike from there.

of any other if those if you have cut something cut Napa.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should drive down coast to Big Sur and visit Hearst Castle if possible. Death Valley in spring too.
My wife wanted to Death Valley pretty badly - but it seems so far out of the way that we had to be within reason here... I guess the next time we will go to the Las Vegas surrounding area to do that one.

in SF, if it can fit in your schedule of course, do the Alcatraz tour. It's touristy, sure, but awesome. takes 3-4 hours though.

Also if you're a junk food fan, I took my time in CA sampling the various fast food restaurants that I don't have access to on the east coast. My favorite: Carl's Jr.
True! I didn't even think of that. I gotta try all this crap I can't get here. In and out also!

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alcatraz is one of the only touristy things to do in SF that's actually worth it.

Whenever people were in town, we would take them on a hike through SF that was always fun for us. Starting around the Buena Vista Cafe (very touristy spot for Irish coffees) get an Irish coffee then hike up Hyde. Walk down Lombard. Hike up to Coit tower then down through the boardwalk neighborhood. Then walk back up the Embarcadero to where you started.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
My wife wanted to Death Valley pretty badly - but it seems so far out of the way that we had to be within reason here... I guess the next time we will go to the Las Vegas surrounding area to do that one.

True! I didn't even think of that. I gotta try all this crap I can't get here. In and out also!

That'd be a good call, could most likely throw Grand Canyon in there as well on that trip if you've never been.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
The piers in SF suck.

go eat some Pho at Turtle Tower in Little Saigon. Find other shit to do but avoid the tourist trap pier. De Young's at Golden Gate Park is dope. SF MoMA.

San Francisco has some of the best variety of Asian food you can have. Mensho Tokyo is delicious. Get there early enough and you won't have to wait in line

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That'd be a good call, could most likely throw Grand Canyon in there as well on that trip if you've never been.
Sounds wonderful. We are both in IT so it is very very difficult for us to plan vacation times and take off. When we get the opportunity, we really try to make the most of our pitiful 10 days in the year.

I even ended up combining weekends and memorial day for this California trip that way we have additional time in Prague/Germany in September.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a preference for food? Need any recommendations?
We really aren't picky at all when it comes to food (I eat virtually everything, even the weird Russian foods my wife introduced me to) . All cuisines are welcome.

My wife really likes Sushi, my favorite is Italian. But as long as it's good, we are down.

Also, unrelated but after reading a lot of the suggestions, I was looking at this place in Sonoma instead of Napa, it looks very relaxing:

Scribe Winery.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
If you get to Goleta late Freebirds is heavily recommended. They are open til 1am and the food is amazing and cheap.
www.yelp.com

Freebirds - Isla Vista, CA

1256 reviews of Freebirds "Meals here are massive so bring an appetite. Average flavors, simple ingredients. The nachos are great but get soggy fast so be sure to share."

Don't know of any good sushi houses here in Goleta, but downtown SB has some. Something Fishy now Hibachi steak house is really good. I normally get the ramen, but my friend who travels a lot, and loves sushi likes that place a lot.
www.yelp.com

Hibachi Steak House & Sushi Bar - Santa Barbara, CA

Specialties: We bring the kitchen to the table delivering a show to our guests while they dine. Established in 1985. Established in the 1980's we've been in downtown Santa Barbara for 30 years. As the trends have changed in the food industry, we've kept our base as original as possible for...

Most of the Itallian places here are expensive. Places like Jane, the food is good just pretty pricey.
www.yelp.com

Jane At The Marketplace - Goleta, CA

Established in 2016. Jane is a family owned and operated business. The restaurant is named after my grandmother, Jane Moody, who loved to travel the world and was always entertaining. She encouraged my parents, Mark & Margaret Huston to…

But if you're hungry when you get here in Goleta I can't recommend Freebirds enough. Other than that we got stuff like In n Out and The Habbit if you want burgers.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

co-signed on Alcatraz - best touristy thing in CA and get the award winning audio tour. Muir Woods National Park and do the dipsea trail hike from there.

of any other if those if you have cut something cut Napa.
So if we cut wine day and do Muir Woods.... 9 Miles though for dispea?! Looks astoundingly beautiful, but I don't want my legs to be jello before Yosemite the next day. Or what do you think?

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yosemite is going to have a bunch of hiking. Just depends how in shape you are.
In shape, but not bowflex man. lol

Maybe it'll give me more motivation to get my ass to the gym before the trip.

If you get to Goleta late Freebirds is heavily recommended. They are open til 1am and the food is amazing and cheap.
www.yelp.com

Freebirds - Isla Vista, CA

1256 reviews of Freebirds "Meals here are massive so bring an appetite. Average flavors, simple ingredients. The nachos are great but get soggy fast so be sure to share."

Don't know of any good sushi houses here in Goleta, but downtown SB has some. Something Fishy now Hibachi steak house is really good. I normally get the ramen, but my friend who travels a lot, and loves sushi likes that place a lot.
www.yelp.com

Hibachi Steak House & Sushi Bar - Santa Barbara, CA

Specialties: We bring the kitchen to the table delivering a show to our guests while they dine. Established in 1985. Established in the 1980's we've been in downtown Santa Barbara for 30 years. As the trends have changed in the food industry, we've kept our base as original as possible for...

Most of the Itallian places here are expensive. Places like Jane, the food is good just pretty pricey.
www.yelp.com

Jane At The Marketplace - Goleta, CA

Established in 2016. Jane is a family owned and operated business. The restaurant is named after my grandmother, Jane Moody, who loved to travel the world and was always entertaining. She encouraged my parents, Mark & Margaret Huston to…

But if you're hungry when you get here in Goleta I can't recommend Freebirds enough. Other than that we got stuff like In n Out and The Habbit if you want burgers.
Yeah we will probably get to Goleta late so that place looks perfect. A big meal after a long road trip. Hell yeah.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Your plan is absolutely nuts. That just seems like way too much. I'd cut down the locations in half and actually get to enjoy where you're going.

Yeah man, I've lived in Southern California my entire life and haven't done half the things you want to do in a week.

I'd main So Cal for the week and maybe take a quick flight up to NorCal from John Wayne (avoid LAX as much as possible) for a night or two.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah man, I've lived in Southern California my entire life and haven't done half the things you want to do in a week.

I'd main So Cal for the week and maybe take a quick flight up to NorCal from John Wayne (avoid LAX as much as possible) for a night or two.

This really is the advice I would take from this thread. I would pick norcal or socal and do a week at one of those. There is more than enough to do in either location to fill a week. If you do Socal you could do Santa Barbara through San Diego and if you do Norcal you could do Monterey through Napa and have plenty to see and enjoy.

X3XEFmwzZJyzyzQQ4dopwNmG_c_cc2bfu1DvP2YIUeY.png

California is very large.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd do SF to Napa in 3-4 days and then Yosemite for the rest. If not you'll be driving for fucking ever

I just did San Francisco to Fresno yesterday. What is usually a 3 hour drive turned into a 6 hour drive due to traffic delays

Oh and you need at least 3 days in LA to see anything worth value

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Just my two cents here but Pier 39 sucks and is just a tourist trap. Yeah you can see the sea lions but it's usually overcrowded and full of all the same stuff you can see at home. If you're going to Santa Cruz anyway go to the boardwalk there and you'll have a much better experience watching the sea lions anyway even if it's still tourisity.

If you're looking for night views of the city, at least consider something like Mission Dolores or Bernal Heights park.

For food and given your aggressive travel schedule, if you can only hit one place I'd say go to La Taqueria. If you end up going to Mission Dolores you could also swing by Bi-Rite Creamery for some ice cream during your time at the park.

To echo others though you're trying to cram a lot in here and you could easily get a lot out of any of these locations for multiple days.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
OP - don't be discouraged from your planned trip - it sounds awesome! It is true that you won't be able to see all there is but some spots might inspire you to come back and spend more time or explore more fully. That said you will be very much on-the-go at all moments as those are not insignificant drives. Hopefully we'll get some more rain this winter so you get more greenery and the falls at Yosemite can be epic. One note - on your way out of Yosemite and back to Santa Cruz do yourself a favor and head south (towards Wawona) and go through the Giant Sequioas and take a look at some of those wonders of the world.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Your plan goes awry on day 4-5. Too much driving if you actually want to see Big Sur. The road access there gets tough. And you'll have to clip off a shit load and speed by the important things just to make it to LA.

pick northern or southern, or extend by 3 days to give yourself breathing room.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
That is a very overloaded itinerary. You'll spend most of your time driving. At the very least I'd leave out San Diego. If you do go to San Diego the wild animal park is better than the zoo.

On that trip I doubt I would even try to get to LA. Definitely consider scaling back your plans. Imo, it's not doable.

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at all the driving time between places (without traffic even) and holy shit that is a lot of hours behind the wheel. Think about pairing it down.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
You're in for an experience at Yosemite. It's mind blowing.

Also for SD, if possibly, I strongly suggest Safari Park over the main Zoo. It's better in every way.

Personally, I'd take SDZ over the Safari Park (did both last summer on sequential days), but if you have an extra day, both are worth seeing.

Also, I think that SF is kind of overrated. Outside of the bridge and Alcatraz, there's nothing else that screams 'COME SEE ME!' there. I'd probably devote an extra day to LA or San Diego, personally.