• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling this will have to be the case with my university. Losing a whole year feels bad, but if it must be done

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Good move. All major universities in the US should do this. The next few months are gonna be much worse than the last two.

DemiOrpheus

Banned
May 9, 2020
I'm a SUNY freshman starting this fall and whatever they decide I just hope they tell us soon because a lot of plans surrounding my job and family life depend on it :(

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy. I graduated a couple of years ago about 20 years after I should have and it would suck if I wasn't able to celebrate that achievement. Not that I wanted to celebrate it much but it was still a goal I was proud to achieve.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm to transfer into a CSU school in the fall. Having experienced the bulk of this semester as online, I think I'll be taking the bare minimum amount of classes to keep me enrolled in the school. I guess I'll be speaking to a counselor to find out what that is, maybe I can get away with 1?

This semester, they take your money and hand out credits and grades, but most instructors could not make the transition. If I were in classes that were in my major I would probably have withdrawn.

OP
OP
overcast

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
By more online, I meant like providing resources or tools to help students work together in some collaborative way. I'm not sure what to expect from the days of blackboard, or whatever that was called. I assume most now use some kind of google classroom or MS option?
Ohh yeah, I got you. Hopefully they're able to be better prepared this semester because my classes were all over the place in terms of organization this semester. Since COVID I don't feel like I'm attending school even.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I will be incredibly surprised if we are allowed back on campus. Really sucks because the experience is nowhere near the same. I agree with the decision and understand that in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but it still makes me upset.

Universities better be heavily discounting tuition if it's online only
Our graduate program already petitioned for this as there is a (cheaper) online program that we are now basically following. They told us to fuck off.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Our school is apparently going to shorter course lengths to start with. An option for 8 weeks instead of 16. All classes will have the flexibility and option to go online if things get bad.

EDIT: No tuition increase and all fees waived, holy hell. They're going to make up the losses with staff and faculty cuts throughout, though.

Last edited:

catstronomer

Dec 12, 2019
Nor Cal
Kids in the arts really need that in person experience and so many are just going to be screwed because they can't do online.

I feel like a lot of people in this thread didn't read the full announcement. Not all classes will be online, classes that require in-person teaching because of some physical aspect (science labs, some arts, etc.) Will remain in person. Additionally, grad students and those whose work requires them to be on campus will be able to do so. CSU campuses aren't closing, we are shifting courses that can be effectively taught online to virtual formats. This is partly why the announcement came early - so that campuses can prep labs to exist while observing health concerns.

I expect most govt funded universities to go this route. The colleges that are pushing to open fully in the fall are private universities that are being hit much harder by the economic fallout.