• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last week, my former Congressperson (I moved, but they called me anyway) did a phone town hall, and the first question was, "given that the CDC has messaged that coronavirus can't be spread from surfaces, why are we still making people wash their hands and--" and I had to hang up the fucking phone because what the fuck kind of question was that? That was for Santa Clara County.

We're fucked.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Yeah still broke, however though hospitals are reaching capacity in SoCal now so my guess is Newsom decided to end the game of chicken he was playing with the mayors since none of them were budging and ultimately he's the one who will be blamed for the deaths if it gets really bad in the hospitals.

The governor is probably praying some federal aid will come soon since we're on the precipice of federal unemployment ending and the US Senate is acting like they care, but if it doesn't happen hes probably ready to lay-off state workers and cut services to buy extra time.

3 days on the county monitoring list, or in other words a spike trend in your county, gets you on the list for more closures. Once you're on the list those businesses have to shut down for 3 weeks minimum, longer if the county hasn't flattened the outbreak.

Wow. This disaster just keeps on getting worse.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
So is this uptick in stats from the protests or from the 4th of july partiers? If it's from the protests that means we haven't even seen the worst of this lockdown correct?

In New York and Minnesota, there was no increase in infections due to the protests, since most protesters wore masks.

I'm guessing the uptick is due to bars and restaurants opening prematurely, and idiots in places like Orange County who refuses to comply with mask wearing and social distancing.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
We could torch this virus with consistent mask use--but we refused to.

The dumbfuck in the WH politicized for 4 months.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
it all feels like we're back at february. news is asking shit like "did we reopen too soon?" motherfuckers you're the reporters can't you connect the dots?

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
in principle i don't mind shutting down, but a shutdown in my view is supposed to buy time so that you get something accomplished in that window to allow for reopening safely. otherwise, it just seems like we're just in a shutdown and hoping the virus will go away on its own. what was meaningfully different in June (from March) that allowed CA to begin reopening, other than people getting cabin fever or people worrying about economic effects? i don't think anything was meaningfully safer.

a vaccine is far off, and if that was the original plan, to shut down until a vaccine was developed, then CA and other states wouldn't have reopened anyway. so what was the goal? is it just going to be a cycle of shutdown, reopen, shutdown, reopen with no clear plan in place?

if we're shutting down, what conditions or plans are in place so that reopening doesn't just result in another shutdown?

everyone has handled this so poorly.

No, we're not shutting down until a vaccine. We were supposed to shut down until our case rates looked like what Europe is experiencing now. But Gov. Newsom took too long in mandating and enforcing a shutdown against the counties/people ignoring guidelines, and then bent to political pressure to open up that was exacerbated by his failure along with Trump/Congress inaction to not provide financial help to workers and businesses in weathering the shutdown (as many European countries did), so that basically pressed reset on all the work we did to contain it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Wearing masks are so hard.... I blame every single "I NEED A HAIRCUT" sign holder :/

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Damn, i'm a little sad about the gym. We were all wearing gloves and masks, cleaning each equipment before and after using it. But i get it :(

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The weird thing is, it's not just a mask thing, if people were able to see this as the threat it is and act reasonably, I don't think we'd have to shut things down like this. But even the act of opening up causes people to think that they can do whatever they want and the panic is over. So in a sense we're like little kids who won't take things seriously unless Mom and Dad enforce draconian rules on us and force us to comply.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
shouldve never reopened in the first place, i think they were hoping people would abide by the rules, but now they know, people are selfish fucks so yeh things probably wont be reopening again anytime soon

JUST WEAR A FUCKING MASK PEOPLE

It's not "just wear a fucking mask"

You still have to take precautions. Washing your hands regularly. Washing your clothes regularly. Wiping down surfaces and Sanitizing your hands after touching surfaces. Like there are a dozen other things going on, the least of which is wearing a fucking mask.

This is part of the fucking problem. People think JUST wearing a fucking mask will magically end the spread.

If all you are doing is "wearing a mask" thinking you are doing enough I'd kindly ask you stay home.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

You still have to take precautions. Washing your hands regularly. Washing your clothes regularly. Wiping down surfaces and Sanitizing your hands after touching surfaces. Like there are a dozen other things going on, the least of which is wearing a fucking mask.

This is part of the fucking problem. People think JUST wearing a fucking mask will magically end the spread.

I think most reasonable people would think that that statement means "the very least you can do is start by wearing a mask" not that a mask makes you invincible (and I'm sure that's what the poster was saying. But you may be right, as we've seen people are not the brightest.

It's like saying "just put your seatbelt on" and believing that also means follow the rules of the road and keep your eyes open.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
It's that, but also the last time we shut down we ended up getting our hours cut and had to use up 100 hours of our PTO to cover it or take a paycut.

That's fucking awful and unfortunately par for the course in this country. My sister joined a clinic as an FNP last year-- and her husband is an xray tech contracted out to a couple different clinics and hospitals-- and the way they've been treated during this is horrendous as well. Same stuff you're describing.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Where is the Universal Basic Income?

At what point is it that or people dying of starvation? I didn't like people having to go to bars to work for people who don't know better than to not go to bars right now just to pay for rent and food. And now that that's not even an option, where's the leadership? What's the plan?

UBI needs to happen as soon as possible, at least for the remainder of the shutdowns. But not a peep on it. Just, "good luck! wear a mask!"

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think most reasonable people would think that that statement means "the very least you can do is start by wearing a mask" not that a mask makes you invincible (and I'm sure that's what the poster was saying. But you may be right, as we've seen people are not the brightest.

It's like saying "just put your seatbelt on" and believing that also means follow the rules of the road and keep your eyes open.

Moreso "wear a mask PROPERLY". There's tons of people that yes, are wearing a mask, but below their nose and defeats the whole purpose :/

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

At what point is it that or people dying of starvation? I didn't like people having to go to bars to work for people who don't know better than to not go to bars right now just to pay for rent and food. And now that that's not even an option, where's the leadership? What's the plan?

UBI needs to happen as soon as possible, at least for the remainder of the shutdowns. But not a peep on it. Just, "good luck! wear a mask!"
Not happening with Mitch and Trump in charge.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

UBI goes against everything the GoP believes. Its not happening under Trump or Turtle.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
UBI goes against everything the GoP believes. Its not happening under Trump or Turtle.

I'm talking about just on state level, city level, even. They've done some direct-cash handouts, LA and CA, but only among a bunch of qualifiers. What they can and should do is implement UBI on a state-wide level, and then you'll see a lot of other states eventually follow suit.

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
As a CA resident who has been working from home since March, what took so long? We shouldn't have opened up as early as we did in the first place. If everyone just sucked it up and waited another month or two, opening up would have looked much better. But nooooo, muh freedoms!

All the Karens that bitched about things not being opened took it upon themselves to make scenes about having to wear a mask once things did reopen.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my friend owns a salon and already spent a bunch of money trying to get her salon ready for the new regulations and now it might be closed again. i don't know how she is gonna stay afloat because it isn't like her rent doesn't have to be paid or her house.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm talking about just on state level, city level, even. They've done some direct-cash handouts, LA and CA, but only among a bunch of qualifiers. What they can and should do is implement UBI on a state-wide level, and then you'll see a lot of other states eventually follow suit.

Where is this mythical money coming from? The reason CA opened again was because they were running out of money (unemployment, etc.) and the federal government made it clear they weren't going to get any help.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Where is this mythical money coming from? The reason CA opened again was because they were running out of money (unemployment, etc.) and the federal government made it clear they weren't going to get any help.

California is one of the top ten economies in the world. The idea that there isn't any money... hogwash propaganda, just like any suggestion that this particular economic crisis is somehow special in any way from any other economic crisis.

There's an abundance of money here. It's simply being misspent and hoarded.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
good_im_glad_donald_glover.gif

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
As a Floridian, I only hope we follow soon
I do too with one exception: I hope they don't cancel elective surgeries statewide again, I have one scheduled for August 14th and it's in a privately owned facility that does nothing but elective surgeries so it wouldn't be denying anyone else care.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017

If all you are doing is "wearing a mask" thinking you are doing enough I'd kindly ask you stay home.
No shit, people aren't protesting at city halls about washing their fucking hands. I'm talking about the anti mask fuckos ruining it for everyone

AndrewDean84

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
How did Cali get so bad? It seemed like they were taking reasonable steps to contain the virus?
We have a shit ton of entitled here in California, just like everywhere else. My wife works in customer service as a manager and has stories each day she works of idiots with masks and the propaganda they're trying to spread about masks kill people.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
my friend owns a salon and already spent a bunch of money trying to get her salon ready for the new regulations and now it might be closed again. i don't know how she is gonna stay afloat because it isn't like her rent doesn't have to be paid or her house.

Just got a haircut because Lord knows how long this will be closed again and it's way too hot to have long hair, my stylist was lamenting how difficult this has been for her. She hasn't paid rent in her house for five months because she hasn't had the money she doesn't get any work at all when stuff closes. She says she's just going to have by appointment only and cut haircuts in the bathroom so no one can see her from the outside

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
In my town (and I'm sure in others around SoCal), they've closed-off streets in our main street area and other places to accommodate outdoor seating for a lot of restaurants. Doesn't help when it's 100 degrees outside, but it seems to be safer to be seated in open air than inside a restaurant. Plus it allows restaurants and their employees to remain open & employed.

Still won't catch me at one, but it seems like people are trying to come up with reasonable measures to deal with the situation and get through this as a community, instead of crossing their arms and pouting about being inconvenienced like a bunch of boomers.

The achilles heel, as always, are the assholes who take great pride in endangering their neighbors by doing the public health equivalent of driving drunk.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I see people without masks and otherwise just not taking it seriously all the time here in Sacramento.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
All the gyms and theaters and indoor eating areas never opened up in my area, surprised any part of California had any of that running actually.

We're inching closer to wildfire season here in Cali too, and the n95 masks people need to breath when wildfire smoke is engulfing your entire county are nowhere to be found. I have a small stash from last year but if the fires get too bad I won't have enough. And on top of all that, PG&E will still turn off power to your entire neighborhood if the wind starts blowing too hard because they haven't fast tracked badly needed repairs to prevent their equipment from sparking fires.

Being stuck at home with no power, with nothing but smokey air to breathe, all while still trying to fend off a covid-19 infection will be a very real compound of problems for many Californians this year.