• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
This might be the completely wrong place to ask this but maybe someone has some insight.

I live in the valley, and I dropped off my ballot in an official ballot drop box about a week ago.
My online ballot tracker has shown no update as far as being collected, received, counted, or anything like that.

Does anyone know how often or when ballots are collected from the drop off locations? Everything online points toward being daily or very routinely.
Definitely should have seen some indication on the online tracker. I dropped mine off on Monday and checked today. Said it was at the post office. Maybe give it til the end of the week. If still nothing contact the appropriate people.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hello Everyone, I just need to speak about Prop 25 because i am very passionate about this.

PLEASE VOTE NO ON Prop 25!!! I am a public defender and i can't tell you how bad this prop is going to be for my indigent clients. The ACLU recently switched to NO on 25 as have numerous other civil rights organizations.

Prop 25 will give judges almost unlimited discretion to incarcerate people pretrial. They are going to lean towards incarceration because it allows them to pressure defendants to give up their right to a defense and enter guilty pleas. It's really fucked up, but people will do anything to get out of custody, even when they are innocent. I can tell you first hand, these judges will absolutely use this leverage at every opportunity they get.

Prop 25 also lets judges set no bail holds, which result in MORE people incarcerated and MORE people pleading guilty with lifelong consequences. One of the greatest powers we have for plea-bargaining is the threat of taking a case to trial. It helps us avoid these life-long consequences for misdemeanor cases by allowing us to negotiate for pleas that will allow our clients to move forward with their lives.

Finally, Prop 25 uses risk-assessment to determine eligibility for release from pretrial custody. These risk assessments are almost always used to form profiles that disparately impact minorities and poor people and are usually based off race, poverty and age. It doesn't let people's individual cases be seen for themselves, but instead through "profiles" that can be total bullshit.

So PLEASE, vote no on Prop 25 and tell all your progressive friends to do the same. We all want to see an end to the current cash-bail system, but this is NOT that and instead is going to lead to even MORE injustice and take us steps back when a bunch of people are under the false impression that it's a step forward.
Appreciate the write-up on this.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of "No on 16" and a few "No on 15-19" signs in my area. I'm starting to think these won't pass.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of "No on 16" and a few "No on 15-19" signs in my area. I'm starting to think these won't pass.

I cannot believe the "they're coming for Prop 13 so homeowners vote against it" is actually a thing. I can understand no on 19 and the reasoning behind it, I cannot understand no on 15. Do people feel the small business provisions there are not enough? Every new business is at an instant disadvantage on property tax rates alone to established businesses.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe the "they're coming for Prop 13 so homeowners vote against it" is actually a thing. I can understand no on 19 and the reasoning behind it, I cannot understand no on 15. Do people feel the small business provisions there are not enough? Every new business is at an instant disadvantage on property tax rates alone to established businesses.
It's pure selfishness. "Fuck all these newcomers; protect my business!"

Gin & Phonics

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think I'm leaning towards 'yes' on i16. It's not ideal since another minority group will be effected, but for what it's trying to address, I think it is ultimately a step in the right direction to remedying serious imbalance.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's that, plus they like the flexibility of working (or not working) whenever they feel like it, for as long as they want. One distinct difference between a contractor and an employee is that the employer cannot tell the former what to do as long as the job gets done.

exactly

I am as liberal as they come and I've done "gig work" for months and know many others who do as well (even more so with COVID) and none of us want to be classified as "employees" at all. While some might say "getting paid less than min wage" it's simply not true in many scenarios. Most of the time it's much higher and gives the full flexibility of family & work life balance.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
exactly

I am as liberal as they come and I've done "gig work" for months and know many others who do as well (even more so with COVID) and none of us want to be classified as "employees" at all. While some might say "getting paid less than min wage" it's simply not true in many scenarios. Most of the time it's much higher and gives the full flexibility of family & work life balance.
Are you specifically a driver, though? Because this exemption only covers Uber/Lyft/etc.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
yes

TBH I don't know another driver that is for the prop (anecdotal sure)

and for a lot of drivers, "gig work" has put food on the table during COVID.
For non-drivers, it also puts food on the table, since the gig workers deliver the food. That's actually one of the reasons I think 22 will pass: people aren't going to risk having their delivery fees increased and/or lose out on these services to vote for nebulous, long term benefits for people who aren't even themselves.

mr stroke

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For non-drivers, it also puts food on the table, since the gig workers deliver the food. That's actually one of the reasons I think 22 will pass: people aren't going to risk having their delivery fees increased and/or lose out on these services to vote for nebulous, long term benefits for people who aren't even themselves.

plus the only thing Uber/Lyft need to do to subevent that is: Make everyone part time....

(Plus I'd bet a high majority of people who drive, do it part time anyways. I can't fathom many people even take gig work thinking they deserve any type of benefits, nor signs up to be a gig driver with that in mind. The flexibility of "gig work" is the whole point)

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Yes: 15-18, 21
Leaning towards yes: 25 (due to data based algorithm)
No:19, 20,
Leaning towards no: 24

hell Yes: 23
Davita won last time in 2016,. Let's not do that again

fucking no: 22
Uber, Lyft, and DoorDash funded this after the court ruled Uber and Lyft violated AB5.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Just did an online exit poll after my ballot was received.

14,000 respondents:

Joe Biden with 85%
Trump with 12%

Adam Schiff is the favorite to replace Harris should she become Vice President

14 - 55% Yes
15 - 55% Yes
16 - 50/50
17 - 70% Yes
18 - 60% Yes
19 - 65% No
20 - 33% Yes-----33% No----33% Don't Remember
21 - 40% Yes-----40% No----20% Don't Remember
22 - 40% Yes-----45% No----15% Don't Remember
23 - 50% No
24 - 40 % Yes-----25% No----35% Don't Remember
25 - 55% Yes

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Just did an online exit poll after my ballot was received.

14,000 respondents:

Joe Biden with 85%
Trump with 12%

Adam Schiff is the favorite to replace Harris should she become Vice President

14 - 55% Yes
15 - 55% Yes
16 - 50/50
17 - 70% Yes
18 - 60% Yes
19 - 65% No
20 - 33% Yes-----33% No----33% Don't Remember
21 - 40% Yes-----40% No----20% Don't Remember
22 - 40% Yes-----45% No----15% Don't Remember
23 - 50% No
24 - 40 % Yes-----25% No----35% Don't Remember
25 - 55% Yes
I feel like the 15% don't remember responses on 22 are shy "I'm voting progressive everywhere else but don't want my uber/doordash to get more expensive/slower" voters. I'm not confident about defeating that.

Prop 19 is my other bugaboo, but that seems a lot more likely to be defeated. Annoying how the prop's using fire victims, possible more money for schools, and another positive tradeoff or two as a smokescreen for something that would primarily only further exacerbate housing/wealth inequality. And a bit angry that the state Democratic party supports it. Mainstream Dems love saying they're YIMBY while being NIMBY in practice. With the housing supply as constrained and inexpensive as it is, the last thing we need is to give longtime boomer homeowners the ability to outbid others on houses knowing that their tax bill will be a fraction of what everyone else would have to pay.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, what a coincidence the ones with a lot of "Don't Remember" responses just happen to be the controversial ones. You just know those are going to skew toward the choices that people know are actually bad but may protect their own short-term interests. So it almost certainly looks like 20 and 22 will pass.

24 really is the only one where that response is buyable, since that one is pretty confusing if you don't do research into it.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I feel like the 15% don't remember responses on 22 are shy "I'm voting progressive everywhere else but don't want my uber/doordash to get more expensive/slower" voters. I'm not confident about defeating that.

It's certainly plausible as the respondents in this exit poll are overwhelmingly Democratic leaning.

OP
OP
crienne

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised 16 is 50/50, but I am surprised there wasn't any "don't remember" since it also falls into that controversial bin.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If you marked two circles for the same thing, it'll just count that vote as VOID or something, right?

I fucked up with one of the candidates (didn't really care about whatever it was, but didn't want to give the Republican the vote), but I want to make sure the rest of my ballot will be counted.

Last edited:

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
There's so much tricky language I'd appreciate anyone chiming in if they have insight on any props!

Prop 25 just sounds bad either way, replacing bail with an algorithm that'll be racist and bias and give too much power to judges? So I'm thinking NO.

Prop 24 also sounds good on paper, but if you look at the details will actually let companies use pay for privacy schemes and actually hurt consumer protection.

There's others that just seem like traps and are deceptive. California is a mess with these lol, worried 22 will pass because of all the misleading ads.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Proposition 24 actually removes protections. Everyone should vote NO.

progressivevotersguide.com

Courage California Voter Guide

With Courage we can make sure our democracy works for ALL Californians

Why voting NO on Prop 24 matters
  • Prop 24 removes the existing ability for a consumer to direct all companies to not sell their personal information with one instruction. Instead, consumers will have to direct each individual website and app to do so. This puts an impossible burden on consumers.
  • Prop 24 removes the existing prohibition on companies from tracking a consumer's data once an individual leaves the state boundary.
  • Prop 24 requires consumers to pay for privacy, disproportionately affect working people and families of color. California should maintain net neutrality so people do not have to pay for companies to safeguard their personal information.
  • Prop 24 would create a new state agency to exclusively oversee and enforce consumer privacy. Adding a new agency that costs an estimated $100 annually is pointless when the power to enforce new consumer privacy rights is built into the position of the State Attorney General and the justice department.
  • Prop 24 is written to make it extremely hard for legislators to pass new legislation regulating consumer privacy in the future.

www.resetera.com

California Propositions Discussion for 2020 Election

Marking up my Voter Info Guide now... YES on 14-19 NO on 20 YES on 21 NO on 22 ...and then I'm confused. I have NO on 24 currently, because the initiative is being pushed by tech companies, and there might be loopholes to these "expanded privacy rules"? Prop 23, I honestly don't know. Open to...

from what I have read the proposition stipulates it can be any physician, it does not have to be a nephrologist.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
prop 19: more tax breaks to older homeowners, who are overwhelmingly white

no thanks

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Even the voting guide in my DSA chapter was split, but I think ultimately no on prop 25 is the best. The only reason to vote yes seemed to be "well, we can make it better later." meanwhile LA DSA was a hard no.

prop 19: more tax breaks to older homeowners, who are overwhelmingly white

no thanks

My DSA chapter was also split on this but I really had a hard time thinking about the benefits of this (unless you're old and white lol), especially with how huge of a problem this sort of thing is in California.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
Even the voting guide in my DSA chapter was split, but I think ultimately no on prop 25 is the best. The only reason to vote yes seemed to be "well, we can make it better later." meanwhile LA DSA was a hard no.

My DSA chapter was also split on this but I really had a hard time thinking about the benefits of this (unless you're old and white lol), especially with how huge of a problem this sort of thing is in California.

so prop 19 is really two different things in one - a tax break for some and a tax increase for other. it's bankrolled by realtor groups.

the first is a tax break for older homebuyers so that they can pay lower property taxes when they move to a newer, more expensive residence. i hate this and that's why i'm voting no. essentially the same measure was also on the ballot 2 years ago as proposition 5 which was soundly defeated. most people who would be eligible for tax breaks under prop 19 are white even though less than half of household heads in california are white. https://calbudgetcenter.org/resources/california-proposition-19-property-tax-scheme/

the second is a tax increase for children who inherit their parents homes and use the properties as an investment vehicle. i'm fine with this. if this second part was a standalone ballot measure i would vote for it. of course, such a ballot measure would be soundly defeated as well. including this tax increase is the realtors' attempt to make the prop 5 more palatable for this second go around

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
so prop 19 is really two different things in one - a tax break for some and a tax increase for other. it's bankrolled by realtor groups.

the first is a tax break for older homebuyers so that they can pay lower property taxes when they move to a newer, more expensive residence. i hate this and that's why i'm voting no. essentially the same measure was also on the ballot 2 years ago as proposition 5 which was soundly defeated. most people who would be eligible for tax breaks under prop 19 are white even though less than half of household heads in california are white. https://calbudgetcenter.org/resources/california-proposition-19-property-tax-scheme/

the second is a tax increase for children who inherit their parents homes and use the properties as an investment vehicle. i'm fine with this. if this second part was a standalone ballot measure i would vote for it. of course, such a ballot measure would be soundly defeated as well. including this tax increase is the realtors' attempt to make the prop 5 more palatable for this second go around

Yeah, they always try to mix in stuff we actually want with these bullshit props. Same thing with 25. Yes, I want cash bail to end, but to replace it with some algorithm we have no idea how it works? Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Just sealed my envelope, voted no on 19 obviously.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the second part is actually good. It seems to me, at least, that it was probably added to make it more enticing since they already know the first part alone isn't going to fly.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else drop off their ballot at a Dropbox? Roughly how long does it take for them to register it as received? I dropped mine on Monday. How long should I wait until I start worrying?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't feel too bad. We always let a couple shitty ones pass, but I think overall we'll terms in a good direction.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I have to say, having a commercial with Gloria Allred pushing No on 22 is the most effective campaign yet to get me to vote yes on it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I just checked my mail for the first time in a week or so in San Diego and the ox was FULL of giant voting flyers.
I think half of them were for the Uber Lyft Prop.

Little do they know I already voted against it!

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm reading the list of CA GOP endorsements and on prop 20 they say:

"Yes on Prop 20 – Strengthens Penalties for Violent Crimes"

The text of the measure states that it's for non-violent crimes?? Am I missing something here????

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

The text of the measure states that it's for non-violent crimes?? Am I missing something here????

I mean, it's the GOP endorsements, they also endorse Trump.

But yes, this mainly reclassifies a lot of non violent crimes back to felonies from misdemeanors, like car theft and "serial" shoplifting. I suppose there can be some violence in those acts but I would also think they would be charged separately.

edited to add: I am also getting a colossal amount of junk mail about these initiatives, and thinking about how much money is wasted considering I voted long ago. Ah well, keeps the post office running I guess.

OP
OP
crienne

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Results so far (via NPR)

14: Yes (52%)
15: Split 50/50
16: No (54%)
17: Yes (61%)
18: No (53%)
19: Yes (52%)
20: No (61%)
21: No (57%)
22: Yes (57%)
23: No (63%)
24: Yes (57%)
25: No (54%)

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area

Misdemeanors and wobblers would be classified as felonies. Just check ballotpedia and see who backs it. Lol