• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
I approve.

California-Games-Surfing-Commodore-64-s75890-20180904113616.png

crpj31

Dec 13, 2017
I loved to play the Master System and the Mega Drive versions. But never understood how to play the Flying Disc...

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've only played the NES version :-(

It's alright.

I get it.. this is predominantly a USA board.. and they almost only experienced NES and Sega.. most never had the pleasure of playing on an C64, Vic-20, Amiga.. they missed out.. and only had those plug and play kids toys from Nintendo and Sega.
I just watched High Score on Netflix, and it seems like the makers completely forgot that Europe is a place on mother Earth.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
This was one of my most played games on Master System when I was a kid, Along with Wonder Boy. I used to be so good at it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get it.. this is predominantly a USA board.. and they almost only experienced NES and Sega.. most never had the pleasure of playing on an C64, Vic-20, Amiga.. they missed out.. and only had those plug and play kids toys from Nintendo and Sega.
I just watched High Score on Netflix, and it seems like the makers completely forgot that Europe is a place on mother Earth.

True, true... if you had to play consoles 50hz, do you even qualify as a continent? /s

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one on Master System and Alex Kidd in Miracle World introduced me to video games.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
American and had a Commodore 64 and Amiga (in addition to the Master System and NES) growing up and... yeesh. bad take.

I congratulate you on your good taste (or rather your parents good taste)...
But we all know NES and Sega were machines for people who did not know how to us a keyboard....

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
But we all know NES and Sega were machines for people who did not know how to us a keyboard....

they were systems that had japanese developed video games and largely more accurate arcade ports usually handled by their actual developers (which, for the record, arcade games of the 80s trash the consoles and computers alike)...

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm a 90s kid too, but I have a passing familiarity with this game, and know that people from the 80s have a particular reverence for this game, I think it was somewhat of a pre-internet cultural phenomenon.
Passive trauma would be more accurate. Jesus, was this game annoying when I was a kid.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I had this on NES, it was reasonably fun tbh.

Publisher

Android Apps by Pixel Games UK on Google Play

Enjoy millions of the latest Android apps, games, music, movies, TV, books, magazines & more. Anytime, anywhere, across your devices.

www.facebook.com

Pixel Games UK

Pixel Games UK. 713 次赞 · 5 人在谈论. Pixel Games UK - Retro Games on modern platforms, Nintendo, STEAM, XBOX, PlayStation & more!

Not even the NES version bruh?

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
Played the Atari Lynx version which was my favorite but I only had access to the NES version on a regular basis.

Jafin

May 26, 2018
Ireland
Holy shit the roller skating game in this was my jam on the NES back in the day. I'll never forget the animation for when she falls flat on her face...because I saw it so often.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
California Games is a major game of my youth. It makes me feel really old there are people here that haven't heard of it considering it was on so many formats.

Fun fact for modern gamers: Mark Cerny programmed the Master System version when he worked at Sega of Japan.

I still think the C64 and SMS versions are the best two. They're the only ones where every event is present and feels right. Every other port has some events missing or with butchered controls.

Pretty much everyone seriously into games in North America remembers the C64... if they're over 40. Millennial-dominated message boards make it look less popular than it was.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sega Genesis version was my jam. Just for the BMX. And a little hackysack. The other games can get stuffed.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Fun fact for modern gamers: Mark Cerny programmed the Master System version when he worked at Sega of Japan.

That's so cool! The thing that I love most about the MS (and early MD/Genesis) is how many of the games were ported in-house by SEGA. i know it was a matter of necessity given licensing and how awful Nintendo were at the time, but still cool nonetheless.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a wild announcement. Fantastic game, not at all mashy, what is going on in this thread???? Some super wild takes.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
it was originally released on C64 and Apple II.. by one of the giants on C64 & Amiga.. EPYX... man the name still gives me goosebumps.

Looks like we found the one C64 California Games stan in existence as evidenced by this thread holy shit.

Fantastic memories of California Games on NES for me, too.