• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
This has pissed me off so much these past few weeks, seeing restaurants still open for outdoors and sometimes even indoor dining even though they are not allowed to, but I also understand that they have been provided zero aid so they are in survival mode, just like every other peasant in this shit country. But at the same time, they are contributing to the skyrocketing covid numbers we are seeing in this state.

On the one hand, I'm extremely pissed because I only go out to get groceries or takeout, but I feel like I could get covid at any moment because this shit is just everywhere now, people have let it run wild. On the other hand, this country had handled this like dumbasses and people are left out in the cold with no jacket, trying to figure out how to survive.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It angers me that people are very selfish. But at the same time I understand small business owners need to work to get by and live, so I'm angrier at the government for not providing enough aid for them and everyone else.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This has pissed me off so much these past few weeks, seeing restaurants still open for outdoors and sometimes even indoor dining even though they are not allowed to, but I also understand that they have been provided zero aid so they are in survival mode, just like every other peasant in this shit country. But at the same time, they are contributing to the skyrocketing covid numbers we are seeing in this state.

On the one hand, I'm extremely pissed because I only go out to get groceries or takeout, but I feel like I could get covid at any moment because this shit is just everywhere now, people have let it run wild. On the other hand, this country had handled this like dumbasses and people are left out in the cold with no jacket, trying to figure out how to survive.
There's no national leadership or coordination. It's a disgrace.

If we were gonna any lockdown, we needed to support these businesses. Both relief bills threw a pittance to small business. But special interest like Airlines got billions.

It starts at the top.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
It makes me angry. A lot of people are struggling. Staying home is still the right thing to do.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It angers me that people are very selfish. But at the same time I understand small business owners need to work to get by and live, so I'm angrier at the government for not providing enough aid for them and everyone else.

This is where I'm at. I blame the federal government response for this.

Oct 25, 2017
My dad owns a hair salon in San Jose, that has only survived all this due to a remarkably chill landlord. Back in April I used to joke about how he should get in on the republican victimization bankroll (stay open until he gets called out, go on the news complaining about democrats trying to shut his business down, open a gofundme), but as time's gone on and the strain has increased, it's not really a joke anymore. I think he should do it.

wulfmatik

Dec 7, 2018
It is frustrating to see, but these folks are doing all they can to survive and provide for their families. I certainly do not blame them at all.

The problem of course is that the federal government has done nothing to support these businesses financially and therefore put these businesses in impossible situations where they must risk further community spread of COVID or lose their entire livelihood.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
This is happening in Illinois too. It's maddening.

Yup, it's frustrating, but it's hard to blame them, and I honestly don't disagree with them. Many of these companies don't have millions in the bank(or even tens of thousands) to support being shut down for any period without income. These shutdowns are literally destroying people's lives, and the gov. is doing jack shit to help.

Fuck the government, and fuck anti-maskers. But I can't say anything negative about the small business owners, they are struggling like everyone else and they have ZERO aid.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
pisses me off too. My brother recently tested positive no clue where but he sometimes stays at my elderly parents to do work. So he went to some place that had someone that was sick.
If these places went to stay open go ahead but if an outbreak is traced back to you then you allowed someone who was sick into your business so you should suffer the consequences. Same as not shoveling a set of steps or serving expired food.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
If there is no one to enforce the orders then you can't really do much about it. Most businesses around here are following them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I can't blame them.

They have no aid and have to do what it takes to survive.

Our country failed them.
Basically. Folks have to remember that business owners have bills too. and for many this is their livelihoods completely. Many do not have alternate streams of cashflow. This is all the have. There is no unemployment support for business owners.

Again, I do not endorse the recklessness. But the federal government botched it completely. Cashflow is the lifeblood of business and if you're gonna shut that off, you need to have insurance policy in place. I hate how dysfunctional our country has become, especially the federal government.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I have one restaurant in my town who, early on, said they were going to be lax about masks actually saying "Wear a mask or don't, you're both welcome here. Freedom over fear!" I'm avoiding that place as it's just begging for Covid cases.

Otherwise, I really feel for the other businesses.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Just making a list of businesses to never go back to when stuff returns to normal.

i will gladly support a business like this

8zf7dpvlh0661.jpg

1dqs2ovlh0661.jpg

And I will never give another cent to a place like this
rhz0lypi7s561.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I know grocery stores in Washington are ignoring the 25% max capacity thing. I went to one yesterday in the middle of the day thinking it would be empty, but it was totally packed. Which leads me to believe many will also be doing Christmas as normal.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

I mean the issue is that if it isn't the businesses, it's the people ignoring it too. This kind of shit only happens around richer, more affluent places like Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley here. They never come to the browner, less affluent areas like Oxnard or Ventura to protest. It's a fucking blight on any attempt to get things under control as these cities have folks saying fuck it, risking ever higher fines that they can pay out anyway in some cases like that church that refused to shut down earlier this year here. It's the fucking worst.

I understand that we were given a bad hand through a lack of federal aid so tax revenues are shit, enforcement is uneven since cities need the revenue as much as the businesses. The problem is the people who defy orders also tend to defy any safety precautions to boot. If they were defying but trying their level best, I could somewhat sympathize, but out here we have bars that just say fuck it, gyms that post on IG about having no restrictions at all, restaurants that don't even seem to have their staff masked up, it's wild.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I mean, on one hand, it is incredibly unsafe and reckless for them to be open, but on the other hand one of my favorite restaurants had to close down for good last month due to Covid. I feel for them, and I definitely don't blame the business owners for the most part

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Lockdown without stimulus is pretty crushing. I think there are plenty of businesses that could remain available of everyone were operating in good faith and under the correct guidelines, but ultimately there are too many people willing to shirk responsibilities or flaunt the guidelines all together, and they have the backing of many local governments/police departments to do so.

The state and local governments probably could have done more to support and push for outdoor dining/business as well.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Newsom (who I voted for) didn't help matters when he basically threw caution to the wind to attend a lavish b-day party, looking like a colossal hypocrite. He apologized for it afterwards but seriously, lead by example.

A local gym in my city remains open despite all other gyms being in lockdown and that pisses me off.

We as a state are on fire with this virus and whatever little relief comes from rebuking or otherwise ignoring the lockdown mandate now will be nullified by the long term damage. Then again, months ago I had local citizens online tell me and others who warned of the severity of this virus that we were cowards and should just stay home. My county's (Riverside) board of directors voted to remove all mandates in regards to masks and social distancing in late spring and then seemed mystified when Covid came back hard.

People so often think of CA as this liberal bastion but in truth there are a ton of GOP pockets filled to the brim with Trumpers and evangelicals who think science is a belief system.

Of course, many of these same shits will also refuse to get vaccinated...

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Hell, If I had to choose between my family becoming homless or risking getting/spreading covid, then I would take the covid route.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
They need to make money to survive. I'm not passing judgment over here. This is the government's fault.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Newsom (who I voted for) didn't help matters when he basically threw caution to the wind to attend a lavish b-day party, looking like a colossal hypocrite. He apologized for it afterwards but seriously, lead by example.

A local gym in my city remains open despite all other gyms being in lockdown and that pisses me off.

We as a state are on fire with this virus and whatever little relief comes from rebuking or otherwise ignoring the lockdown mandate now will be nullified by the long term damage. Then again, months ago I had local citizens online tell me and others who warned of the severity of this virus that we were cowards and should just stay home. My county's (Riverside) board of directors voted to remove all mandates in regards to masks and social distancing in late spring and then seemed mystified when Covid came back hard.

People so often think of CA as this liberal bastion but in truth there are a ton of GOP pockets filled to the brim with Trumpers and evangelicals who think science is a belief system.

I still can't believe Newsom did that. Like what did he expect would happen? Read the fucking room.

This entire year is a mess and the fault lies squarely at the White House. You can't expect people to shut down and give them 1200 for the entire year. For fucks sake that's stupid.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure people who speed and get into car crashes trying to get to work care a lot about their jobs too.

Yes, there should be better leadership, but in the meantime, no excuses for endangering others. None.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Hey neighbor, Beaumont resident here. Yeah, we have a fair share of Trump supporters/ MAGA types here. What you're saying is 100% accurate.

I hope Newsom doesn't try to run for reelection, he's handled this so poorly he's almost certain to lose.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Hey neighbor, Beaumont resident here. Yeah, we have a fair share of Trump supporters/ MAGA types here. What you're saying is 100% accurate.

I hope Newsom doesn't try to run for reelection, he's handled this so poorly he's almost certain to lose.

We are neighbors. I live in Hemet. :)

And yeah, I agree we can do better than Newsom.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for businesses and the government needs to do more to help them but thousands of people are dying everyday and CA is in way worse shape than even a couple months ago.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
There's a systemic failure here, as much as there is a personal one. It's hard to tell people to stay home when people are in limbo of getting an extra six hundred dollars, for an annual total of eighteen-hundred dollars, and are still expected to feed their families in a lockdown.

The thing that pisses me off is the arrogance about it. If you're skirting guidelines for economic reasons, aight whatever. I dislike it, but I understand it. But making it about "freedom" and "not being a sheep"... that's when it's a joke deserving of karmic backfire.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
no dining in the cupertino surrounding area as far as i can tell. also i blame the lack of relief more than anything else. we're getting close to a year of this shit now.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Can def understand people not wanting to lose their business but that's unfair to the people who are doing the right thing. Nobody should be exempt or feel like the pandemic doesn't apply to them.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopeless. None of these orders mean shit without any enforcement. The Orange County sheriffs that I've run into do not wear a mask.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
in Lathrop, Denny's dine-in is open. Also I went to the Stockton Hobby Lobby for the first time a few days ago and there was a fuck ton of people.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Local businesses have been left to die, and I can't blame the ones skirting rules to survive when the government simply won't help them.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
For places that aren't allowed to, as long as they open and keeping within all safety guidelines, they gotta earn a living, but would still prefer they don't if they can avoid it (which for small businesses they really can't).

For places that are advised not to, as long as they open and keeping within all safety guidelines, they gotta earn a living.

For places that are doing it just to "take a stand", fuck them.

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
On a good day, livid.

It's a total shitshow. Fuck Republicans forever for getting us here.

Feb 1, 2018
The issue is that states and the feds arent doing jack shit to assist families. A one time $1200 stimulus is nothing. And not everyone has access to PPP/EIDL loans

As long as governments stay useless and refuse to help, then businesses wont give a shit about the rules (that dont even get enforced anyway)

Nov 7, 2017
I mean they have to make money somehow since the federal government aren't doing jack shit to help

I actually am getting my haircut with my barber outside his backyard and I don't feel guilty about it (we're both def going to be masked, it's outdoors, and I already got my first vaccine dose)

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame them. Federal government has failed us, you take care of yourself. Now if they being stupid/anti mask then I get upset.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I will support businesses that play by the rules.

The more brazen businesses that ignored safety recommendations won't see a single dime from me now or in the future.