• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Cadence of Hyrule

Votes: 83 14.7%
  • Axiom Verge

Votes: 107 18.9%
  • Golf Story

Votes: 167 29.6%
  • Undertale

Votes: 208 36.8%

• Total voters

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I also like metroidvanias, and not really RPGs:

Cadence of Hyrule - I only played the demo, was really annoyed by it and did not enjoy it. (I'd say try the demo?)

Axiom Verge - One of my absolute favorite metroidvanias, great mechanics and level design. (Seen that many don't care for it though.)

Golf Story - Enjoyed it a lot, it has funny writing and the gameplay alright if you like golf-like challenges. A solid 3/5 where 3 means "good!"

Undertale - I've given it a chance twice. I just..... really don't care for story in my games, and I get bored and lose interest somewhere not far in. It's such a beloved game that I still think you should give it a try though.

What I'm saying is that it's subjective and you probably gotta find out for yourself.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to say Cadence which is hyper-polished like a Nintendo game.
But this thread made me realise I've never gave Undertale a chance. In fact, I have no idea what it is about except that it's an RPG and really really good.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Get all of them, they are all unique and fantaastic games.
For sure. I haven't played CoH but I have played the original Necrodancer. The concept is one that really makes it different.

That said, I'm a sucker for Metroidvanias, and I have a soft spot for Earthbound-likes. Axiom was quite a joy since it felt close to an actual Metroid game, and Undertale was just an emotional therapy session of a game, in a good way

Golf Story is a self-aware comedy golf game with fun courses and RPG elements. That is, it's the rare example of a sports game that I thoroughly adore. I give it props just for keeping me in the genre.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on _why_ OP doesn't usually like RPGs.

...because I think that the only game out of the four listed that doesn't have strong RPG elements is Axiom Verge.

The reason is I hate turn-based combat.

ElectricBlanketFire

My brother.

Get all of them. Every one of them is amazing.

But if you made me choose, Golf Story is one of the most charming games ever

I'm still recovering from the Xenoblade Smash direct so I needed something to cheer me up.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Cadence, but I couldn't get into Necrodancer at all, so I wouldn't suggest it.

Axiom Verge is a really solid metroidvania, can't go wrong with that.

Undertale is an RPG, but it's fairly short, inexpensive and really really good.

Golf Story is great from what I've heard.

Really can't go wrong with any of those last three.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
All great games that I have beaten. This is my ranking...

Undertale (an absolute classic) > Golf Story (secretly the best game to launch during the first year of the Switch) > Cadence of Hyrule (an expanded, and adorable, take on an already excellent game) > Axiom Verge (a solid metroidvania title)