• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Cadence of Hyrule

Votes: 83 14.7%
  • Axiom Verge

Votes: 107 18.9%
  • Golf Story

Votes: 167 29.6%
  • Undertale

Votes: 208 36.8%

• Total voters

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
If you want good gameplay, a light-and-fun-but-kinda-heartwarming story, adorable spritework, and a fanciful-but-not-too-fanciful world -- look no further than Golf Story.

It's a rare type of game, and it's my favorite NSW exclusive.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Undertale is an one-of-a-kind experience. You're already way too late in playing it; correct that.

I love Cadence of Hyrule to bits but I feel like it appeals to a considerably narrower audience niche that I just happen to fall squarely within.

Undertale is a GOAT level game. That easily.

3161.jpg

And now you will never know if I'm quoting your avatar because it's a character from UT or because it's a literal goat.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale is an one-of-a-kind experience. You're already way too late in playing it; correct that.

I love Cadence of Hyrule to bits but I feel like it appeals to a considerably narrower audience niche that I just happen to fall squarely within.

3161.jpg

And now you will never know if I'm quoting your avatar because it's a character from UT or because it's a literal goat.

GOAT goat

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Axiom for sure, if you're into Metroidvanias.

Undertale is a fine game, but try not to go into it with crazy high expectations, or else I expect you're going to be disappointed.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I would say Golf Story

Unless you are absolutely clueless about Undertale, then get it instead (spoils can affect a bit of the game's impact)

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Golf Story is a ton of fun and I only played up to the second area. It has some of the best HD rumble amongst Switch games and also is funny to boot.

Mar 30, 2019
I really enjoyed Undertale and I understand where everyone is coming from, but I have to back Axiom Verge of the 4.

Only played Cadence's prequel Necrodancer and really enjoyed it, but don't know how Cadence is.

I have a bias against golf, yet Golf Story is the closest I've been to completely overcoming that bias. Quirky and interesting, but I won't revisit likely.

Undertale is an incredibly unique game that stands apart from other games and really has a strong identity. I beat it twice and enjoyed it thoroughly. I won't revisit the game much because narrative games are known entities once I'm done. I need years of cooldown to forget as much as I can. The soundtrack is bangin'.

I chose Axiom Verge because it has some good action metroidvania chops. It has a sizable map and balanced difficulty. Not to mention I just enjoy the moody pixel art and exploring. Viscerally enjoyable to play for me. A game I revisit from time to time.

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
I didn't care for Necrodancer -- the rhythm was mainly a gimmick and I didn't like the randomness. Axiom Verge and Undertale are both essential.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
They're all great. Golf Story was a fun game that I played in short bursts over a year when I only had little bit of time to fit something in.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Undertale is one of those "not what I expected" type of games and that is its main strength. Avoid spoilers. Be warned though:

The humor may not be for you. Overall the writing is cutesy, charming, and a bit weird at points, but I found one of the characters insufferable and they get a huge portion of the game dedicated to them, including a joke that was so bad and run into the ground for so long it still annoys me and it's been 6 years almost. I can completely understand why this game has binary opinions.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
i feel like undertale is "important" in a way the others are not. i think i had more fun with golf story though

but you probably will play them all eventually

i vouch for everything but cadence because i hate rhythm games

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Cadence of Hyrule is probably only good for a single playthrough unless you love roguelites tbh. Fantastic, but a bit pricey for something most people will spend like 4 hours on.

Undertale is literally the perfect game. Every single thing about it is executed to a standard beyond incredible. I don't think there is a single game in existence I would recommend more, and it's easily one of the best games of the last decade. As someone who had very little interest in it when I started playing it and ended up blown away, it's not something you want to miss. Also, da memes.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Undertale changed my life.

Well not really, but it honestly impressed me with what a video game could accomplish. It will not disappoint. Maybe my GoTY for the year it came out

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Undertale is an incredible game that needs to be played by everybody

Second choice would be Axiom Verge. Top tier Metroidvania.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
It depends on _why_ OP doesn't usually like RPGs.

...because I think that the only game out of the four listed that doesn't have strong RPG elements is Axiom Verge.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I keep trying to play Undertale, but I feel kind of trapped by
already knowing there are different endings. I feel more like I'm trying to figure out what the game wants instead of playing it, from the very beginning.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
If you like actually playing golf, then you'll get a kick out of Golf Story. It's a very, very funny game that nails a ton of different types of golfers that you run into in real life. You will enjoy all of the games you listed but I really loved Golf Story.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale.

It's the most unique game on the list and one that is really memorable across the board (gameplay, story, music).

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying Undertale, I've wanted to check it out but I'm not big on replaying games for the most part (especially immediately after). Does it stand well with a single guideless first time playthrough?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale definitely wins, go play it.

Have not played Cadence; I liked what I played of Axiom Verge a lot. But Golf Story is just not good, imo. I played through all of it and found it really disappointing; the later areas did not use the gimmick as well as the as the early ones, so it becomes a lot of just aiming for targets in challenges. And people made it sound like the writing was super charming, and it just... wasn't, it was often just weirdly cruel. Still can't get over how for a while the main story suddenly became bizarrely focused on the main character's "gold-digging" ex... when he left her to go play golf...

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This is such a weird feeling poll to try and answer because of how different all the choices are, haha. It's like asking if we think you should eat a slice of pizza, a taco, a sandwich, or Undertale.

Of the four of them, Undertale feels like the one that's the most "impactful" on video games and the overall gaming community, though like others have said the style of the writing can be pretty divisive. A lot of the characters can toe a pretty tough line between being charmingly annoying, or aggravatingly annoying, depending on your personal tastes. Still, if it does click, then Undertale has some of the most memorable moments you'll come across in a game story. It became a phenomenon unlike anything else on the list and for good reason, but its quirks and popularity have brought out a lot of haters too.

Despite saying all that, ultimately I voted for Golf Story on the poll itself, mostly because whether Undertale's writing works for you or not is something we can't really judge for you. If you like golfing games at all, then Golf Story provides a ton of interesting challenges and scenarios and wraps it all in a nice presentation and some really great, funny writing that can probably be recommended more "safely" than Undertale's. Cadence of Hyrule is very good, but inessential, and I haven't played Axiom so I can't judge that one.

To those saying Undertale, I've wanted to check it out but I'm not big on replaying games for the most part (especially immediately after). Does it stand well with a single guideless first time playthrough?
A single guideless playthrough if you know nothing at all about the game is probably still worth doing, but I'll mention that with the odds of what that will likely result in, you'll have a good experience but miss out on part of why so many people feel the game's truly special.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Golf Story for the pure fun factor. It's just full of good, video game-y vibes.

Undertale is great but it's something you play more as a narrative experience. If you want something to think about, and you want a game that gives you a sense of moral choice, then it's a solid alternative.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale and I am saying that as someone who loved Axiom Verge. Undertale is just a unique experience worth playing even if you don't end up loving it.

Golf Story is good but I think it was better because it was one of the first major eShop exclusive games on Switch.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
These games are not comparable. I will genuinely say that the one you pick should have to do more with what type of game you're currently in the mood for, not by ranking them against each other in general. I will not vote in this poll

Nov 4, 2017
In going to grab Monster Sanctuary while it's in sale on Switch. Metroidvania with a monster raising mechanic. Might be a bit too RPG for you though, OP.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Found Undertale to be highly overrated and I like rpgs lol.

I like rhythm games but hated Necromancer, never played Cadence though.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Only game I played of these was Undertale. I've grown tired of RPG games and so there was some stuff I liked that was different. But I do think it was hyped up a lot and that probably deflated my reaction to it.

I want to check out Axiom Verge. A friend of mine has said it tops his list of Metroidvanias.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
My vote cannot be trusted at all. I loved Golf Story so much and cannot wait for the sequel.

Haven't played Undertale yet but it's on my list for this year. Didn't like Cadence, it was ok but I have no rhythm at all. Haven't played av but i hear it's a decent Metroidvania.

Nov 5, 2017
Axiom Verge is one of the best 2D exploration games ever made. It genuinely looks, feels, and plays like a lost sequel to Metroid.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I'm assuming since you like Metroidvanias and it's not available for vote then you've already played Hollow Knight?

if not, stop everything and go play HK immediately!