• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Funny interpretation of "Spring"
There are two different seasonal calendars - meteorological which groups the months into four 3-month periods, and astronomical which are based on our position to the sun and use the equinoxes and solstices are start and end points (usually around the 21st of December, March, June and September respectively).

Both are valid.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I played the first game but dropped it in like 30 minutes, because I just really didn't like it.

I dislike the gameplay, but I love Zelda and its music, and this looks really cool, so I'm reaaaallly conflicted.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be an American thing, right? I can't see why someone would teach seasons like this?

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
You have this mentality of summer = hot but it just means that days are getting shorter while staying longer than nights. This way it still makes sense in or near the tropics where it's probably mildly hot all year long but days length still changes a bit during the year.
Kids in other places learn the astronomical definition. They don't need to adapt when reading release dates but you need to.
I do, yes. I see the merit in establishing a cross cultural standardised definition of seasons that work across the northern hemisphere. But it's hard to rewire decades of basic timekeeping understanding and it's a lot easier to just be cross about computer games.
I'm afraid your school was pretty bad then
I mean, it was, but the reason why wasn't because it taught the definition of seasons used in my country for hundreds of years.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I do, yes. I see the merit in establishing a cross cultural standardised definition of seasons that work across the northern hemisphere. But it's hard to rewire decades of basic timekeeping understanding and it's a lot easier to just be cross about computer games.
As I said, Japanese always use the astronomical definition so if an announcement comes from Japan, one should adjust accordingly.
As you pointed out it's probably worse for countries in the southern hemisphere. For Australians, when a game is announced for spring, it actually comes out in autumn.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
UH4CETt.jpg

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Normal people use astronomical calendar. If your school/culture/country teach you the other way, it's not developer's fault.
>defining "normal" by culture or country
:thinkingemoji:

For us here "spring" is march to may. Defining it by astronomical means only makes sense when there's a unified global nation, and the people here on Earth are anyting but unified at the moment.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
God, this game looks so fucking good! The original announcement got me to play CotN and seriously, don't sleep on this one - even as someone who is terrible at rhythm games, it's one of the best indie games I've played.

I just hope the OST takes tracks from games across the series as well as throwing in some original beats here and there. I trust in the composer though, he is mad talented.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
looks awesome, but I heard the word rougelike?

so this is a rougelike game?
(never played the original)

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are two different seasonal calendars - meteorological which groups the months into four 3-month periods, and astronomical which are based on our position to the sun and use the equinoxes and solstices are start and end points (usually around the 21st of December, March, June and September respectively).

Both are valid.

Not really though? If grouped by months it could be completely arbitrary. Someone living in the tropics doesn't experience seasons in the same way someone in the higher latitudes does, so seasons based on months make even less sense in those places, but even in the tropics the earth still rotated around the sun. Seasons are based on the position of the earth in relation to the sun (and seasons themselves are caused by the tilt of the earth) and are not just an arbitrary set of months. I can't imagine how anyone can think otherwise.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
People in here arguing about whether June is Spring and Summer when there's an amazing game we should be talking about.

Also, Winter starts on June 1st, fight me!

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>defining "normal" by culture or country
:thinkingemoji:

For us here "spring" is march to may. Defining it by astronomical means only makes sense when there's a unified global nation, and the people here on Earth are anyting but unified at the moment.

you're not normal if you don't use the normal way to tell the damn season

soon people are going to tell me they size stuff with their feet or something

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Ghoma + maracas = Ghomaracas

rknv2sz.jpg
I am totally on board with the classic Zelda enemy/musical instrument mashups. Gleeokenspiel is still the better pun, but Gomaracas is solid, too. Did we get a bongo/dodongo yet? I can't remember if that happened or if it just needs to happen.

Also worth noting on that image: That's Link AND Zelda. Co-op confirmed?

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Not really though? If grouped by months it could be completely arbitrary. Someone living in the tropics doesn't experience seasons in the same way someone in the higher latitudes does, so seasons based on months make even less sense in those places, but even in the tropics the earth still rotated around the sun. Seasons are based on the position of the earth in relation to the sun (and seasons themselves are caused by the tilt of the earth) and are not just an arbitrary set of months. I can't imagine how anyone can think otherwise.
I mean, meteorological seasons are a thing used by meteorologists - don't know what else to tell you

But back to the game - it looks good!

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks to have been long in the making. I'm wondering how many years of development it took with that detailed sprite work. At least 2 years right?

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I am totally on board with the classic Zelda enemy/musical instrument mashups. Gleeokenspiel is still the better pun, but Gomaracas is solid, too. Did we get a bongo/dodongo yet? I can't remember if that happened or if it just needs to happen.

Also worth noting on that image: That's Link AND Zelda. Co-op confirmed?
I want digderidoogger

JxzJHgV.png

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just love the sprite work in this. It looks so good. I'd also take a traditional Zelda looking like this. haha

I am looking forward to it. June will be a good month for the Switch with this, Slay the Spire and Mario Maker 2.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
The bouncing from tile to tile really bothers me and it seems like that will get old very quickly. Everything else about this game looks great.

My opinion exactly, I wish it was just a 2D Zelda set in both games universes but with normal Zelda movement. Eh I guess I have to wait for that Zelda Gameboy remake at years end.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I will be buying it, but the game looks so polished. Didn't know it would have this variety of items.

Hoping it does very well.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018

Very few people in the tropics care at all about concepts like "spring" or "summer", because they make no sense from a weather standpoint. In Tanzania when I lived there we had the long dry season, followed by the long rainy reason, followed by the short dry reason, followed by the short rainy season. They had no time equivalents in any of the northern hemisphere temperate seasons and were not analogues of them.

Those seasons derive from a particular use in a historical and agricultural context. As have the northern hemisphere temperate ones. That someone has tried to (pseudo-)scientifically squeeze these cultural concepts into particular phases of earth's position relative to the sun smacks of the kind of bad-practice prescriptive linguistics that we thought we'd left behind in the trying-to-fit-latin-onto-English 19th century.