• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the music in this game is phenomenal. Pure genius. Where can I buy the OST? It's not available on iTunes or Spotify.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
So huh.... How does You figure out the path through the Lost Woods?

Edit: lmao...I guess I stumbled upon it by accident right after typing this post

There's an item found in a Lost Woods cave that can guide you through it, but it isn't really needed. You can also find the way by just
looking at the enemies in each room and spot the odd one out. That's the correct direction.

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't really feeling the game. OST is amazing and the graphics are great, but something wasn't letting me advance properly.

Started playing in Fixed Beat mode, and already have beaten 3 bosses and am LOVING it.

I know the best\right way is to play with fixed beat turned off, but I'm enjoying it much more now.

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
Wasn't really feeling the game. OST is amazing and the graphics are great, but something wasn't letting me advance properly.

Started playing in Fixed Beat mode, and already have beaten 3 bosses and am LOVING it.

I know the best\right way is to play with fixed beat turned off, but I'm enjoying it much more now.

If that works for you then so be it. Maybe it's not anymore a rhythm game but it's still a great strategic twist on Zelda games!

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish there were more item-required puzzles. Like stuff to do with the Deku Leaf or Hookshot. Having to hookshot across a canyon or activate switches in time with the beat would be a lot of fun.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Are the dungeons one time and just happen to be randomized or is this an actual rougelike?

Because I want to play because I love Zelda music but I hate rougelikes...

Also any word on a price drop of physical edition?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The whole game is randomized to a degree. It's still got rogue elements in the standard non-permadeath mode, but I wouldn't really call it a roguelike since there's the persistent overworld.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
There's an item found in a Lost Woods cave that can guide you through it, but it isn't really needed. You can also find the way by just
looking at the enemies in each room and spot the odd one out. That's the correct direction.

Holy shit, that's so cool. It also streamlines the trial and error in getting to the second screen for the tuner. I wonder how many more secrets like this there are.

ALttP veterans will know this, but you can capture bees in bottles, and when you release them they'll attack enemies. They have five hearts of health, but if you re-bottle them before they die, they'll be healed to full health. Protip: to catch bees easily, stun them with the boomerang or hookshot.

I learned how to "fish" today (use a bottle where there's bubbles in the water). You can then eat the fish for a whopping... one heart. :D Probably the worst possible use of a bottle, including the aforementioned bee.

Oh, I forgot to mention I learned today that if you kill a dungeon boss without getting hit, you get an extra reward (/stealthbrag). You can choose between three items, which in my game were a blue chest with a regular, permanent weapon, a red chest with a ring, and three diamonds (I had the item vision torch so I could see what was in each chest).

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wish there were more item-required puzzles. Like stuff to do with the Deku Leaf or Hookshot. Having to hookshot across a canyon or activate switches in time with the beat would be a lot of fun.

There's actually a few dedicated hookshot puzzles (beyond the puzzles that have hookshot use as one of the possible solutions). There's one in a river (two screens wide scrolling screen) that's appeared in at least two of my games. I hear you on the deku leaf, I've literally never used it. Anyone knows of cool uses for it?

I kind of wish we could turn in place or aim items like the hookshot. You can use the bow to aim first, but you need to have it and you waste an arrow...

Huge Zelda fan here but I have never played CotND. Not sure if I would like this game or not.

Weirdly, this is a lot more Zelda than Necrodancer, especially in structure. I thought it would feel like a Necrodancer with a Zelda coat, but it feels 100% Zelda. It's super, super addicting.

If you turn the beat option off, it becomes a turn-based (but super fast if you want) version of Zelda that has a procedurally generated map, item locations, caves and dungeons every time you start a new game. How does that sound to you?

Are the dungeons one time and just happen to be randomized or is this an actual rougelike?

Because I want to play because I love Zelda music but I hate rougelikes...

Also any word on a price drop of physical edition?

Depends on what mode you play. Permadeath is obviously the most roguelike mode (and it really feels like the intended mode that the game is balanced around; I'm having a ton of fun with it). Regardless of mode, the whole game (including overworld map, caves in it, etc.) is generated (or perhaps "remixed" is a better word), making it interesting every time. The more consistent locations are Hyrule Castle (always center-ish), Death Mountain (always at the top, typically in one of the two corners) and the beach (always an L-shape around one of the bottom corners). In my first game the desert was right below Death Mountain, which somehow felt more right than the traditional Zelda location at the bottom left. :D

Last edited:

membran

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm looking at some speedrunning threads and they are currently doing different versions of "barrier skips", basically entering Hyrule Castle from the side and not doing any of the four main dungeons at all.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
God the music in this game is so good. The Gohmaracas boss music is just... *chef's kiss* Danny Baranowsky has done it again, I can't wait for this OST to be on sale somewhere so I can snatch it up.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble with a Hyrule Castle puzzle and it's driving me crazy. Any advice?

The vault after you wake up the king. I defeated all the statues shooting fireballs at you, but now I can't figure out how to cross the gap. I tried googling the solution and someone said to throw a crate across, use the leaf to push it another tile, and then hookshot to it, but I can't throw the crate far enough to reach the other side; it just falls into the abyss. Did I miss some power-up somewhere that lets me throw things further?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble with a Hyrule Castle puzzle and it's driving me crazy. Any advice?

The vault after you wake up the king. I defeated all the statues shooting fireballs at you, but now I can't figure out how to cross the gap. I tried googling the solution and someone said to throw a crate across, use the leaf to push it another tile, and then hookshot to it, but I can't throw the crate far enough to reach the other side; it just falls into the abyss. Did I miss some power-up somewhere that lets me throw things further?
I think I just used the hookshot and nothing else, there was something a bit off screen to attach to it, maybe a chest.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark

Throw the create to the side across the small gap, not across the big gap. Then blow at it with the leaf or shoot it with an arrow to move it another tile, and use the Hookshot to get across.

There's a statue across the big gap up top that you can hit to get across with the basic Hookshot, then.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I've read that apparently every playthrough might not be 100% completable? Does that go for the Cane of Somaria? Because two of these gear puzzles are driivng me insane as I've tried everything from Down Thrust jumps to Power Glove lifting and that's the only item I can think of that can solve them.
D9o3AJeUIAE57BX.jpg

D9rRbG_UYAAtVWJ.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've read that apparently every playthrough might not be 100% completable? Does that go for the Cane of Somaria? Because two of these gear puzzles are driivng me insane as I've tried everything from Down Thrust jumps to Power Glove lifting and that's the only item I can think of that can solve them.
D9o3AJeUIAE57BX.jpg

D9rRbG_UYAAtVWJ.jpg

For the bottom picture: you could use a bomb to push the block to the left. Place it to the right of the block and let the explosion do the work.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
D9o3AJeUIAE57BX.jpg
I had the same puzzle as your top picture and the only way I found how to solve it was using the cane. You don't even need that gear for anything tho

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Huge Zelda fan here but I have never played CotND. Not sure if I would like this game or not.
There's a lot to love as a Zelda fan. If you can deal with the rhythm based movement and combat (might take a few tries before you get the hang of it) then the story mode definitely captures that Zelda feel (though I would decribe it as Zelda-lite). I'd say it's worth giving a shot, though if you're not sure maybe wait until CotND goes on special again and try that out first to see if you like the mechanics (though I should clarify the structure is completely different).

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
D9o3AJeUIAE57BX.jpg
For this one, reset the room so you get all the sand back (there's one block missing I can see), climb up the green half brick onto the sand then move around to the other side of the bombable half brick and push it in front of the gear. After that you can just climb up to the gear.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
For this one, reset the room so you get all the sand back (there's one block missing I can see), climb up the green half brick onto the sand then move around to the other side of the bombable half brick and push it in front of the gear. After that you can just climb up to the gear.
If you are referring to directly in front of the gear, no, there's only ever 1 block of sand there. So then when you push the bombable one in front of the gear, there's no way to hop on it, you'll just push it off the ledge if you try.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Completed this on fixed beat mode today! Great fun. It's a shame they didn't do more to telegraph the movement direction of projectiles, but the fixed beat makes all the difference.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
If you are referring to directly in front of the gear, no, there's only ever 1 block of sand there. So then when you push the bombable one in front of the gear, there's no way to hop on it, you'll just push it off the ledge if you try.
Really, I though the gravel on the ground meant something was dug up, my mistake. In that case, the easiest way to solve it would be to get the powerglove, which should be in The gerudo village, a screen or two over (unless that part is also randomised).

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Really, I though the gravel on the ground meant something was dug up, my mistake. In that case, the easiest way to solve it would be to get the powerglove, which should be in The gerudo village, a screen or two over (unless that part is also randomised).
Yeah, i know but sometimes it's just there. I spent forever trying to get this and eventually got some hover boots, stacked the blocks and a cane thing and hopped over.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Trying permadeath and man, this is no joke. Love the challenge though, I will beat this for sure.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a sub hour today! Made it to #37 on the leaderboards in Fixed Beat mode. Speed running this game is a lot of fun and the skips are not hard at all. Really good intro speed running game!

Beanman25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Addicted to permadeath mode. Got to #18th on Link Permadeath with 1:52 clear time. VERY tense in the last areas lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So right at the end of my second "viable" permadeath run (three bottles, most of the hearts, steamrolling everything), I get to the part in Hyrule Castle with the cardboard / wooden plank Necrodancer enemies. I hit the Necrodancer himself... instant death (loud overlapping sound effects and "potion quaffed" message and all).

... the fuck?

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
D9o3AJeUIAE57BX.jpg
You can feather jump onto a sliding tile.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I beat this last night and absolutely loved the final boss fight. I was not expecting them to do what they did, and what they did was a fantastic way to end it.

Congrats to Brace Yourself Games on this. This sort of opportunity for an indie dev is unheard of, and they hit a home run!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Was there a demo for this on the Japan eShop? I thought I saw people mention it in this thread. When I go to the product page, there's only the option to purchase or add to wishlist.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So there's a chest that for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reach.

It's in a cave in the desert by the dungeon. There are a bunch of lava pits, some diggable walls that look like an H, and a sliding block on an isolated elevated platform I can't reach.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
This game is so fun but also so hard! I've more times now in less than 3 hours of gamplay than I have in any Zelda game aside from BOTW.

Nov 2, 2017
Beat it a couple nights ago, and really enjoyed it.

My only real qualm is that the vast majority of weapons and items might as well have not existed. There were few puzzles that required anything, and they are completely unneeded to progress through the dungeons.

Still, great game, but it misses Zelda points for that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The cardboard necrodancer instadeath moment I was talking about earlier:

So there's a chest that for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reach.

It's in a cave in the desert by the dungeon. There are a bunch of lava pits, some diggable walls that look like an H, and a sliding block on an isolated elevated platform I can't reach.

Better, post a screenshot, a lot of the screens won't appear on everyone's game. If it's a red chest you can ignore them, valuable / unique items are in purple chests.