• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Beat it without getting the power glove or flippers. Game is great, I will probably purchase a sequel to their original Necrodancer whenever that releases.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Have you checked every cave? These ones don't show on the map. My last one was in a hidden cave in the bottom right of death mountain. You have to contol a statue with reverse controls.
wait, those don't show up on the map? I could've sworn they did. Treasure chests in caves do. Weird. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Also note that Permadeath mode is an additional "hard" mode in that enemies themselves are harder, prices are increased, and some more stuff gets randomized.

Wait, what? Really? Might be time for a permadeath run then.

Also, I did the out-of-bounds glitch with the GERUDO seed and it's really cool how you can buy a pair of boots which allow you to move freely even during rooms with enemies. It's a neat little bonus for figuring out how to get out of bounds.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also note that Permadeath mode is an additional "hard" mode in that enemies themselves are harder, prices are increased, and some more stuff gets randomized.
Nice, that sounds exciting. This may be a silly question but can you save with permadeath on? Obviously I expect to be able to get around a game over in that mode, but it'd suck it were stuck with the game, not being able to play something else, until I beat it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nice, that sounds exciting. This may be a silly question but can you save with permadeath on? Obviously I expect to be able to get around a game over in that mode, but it'd suck it were stuck with the game, not being able to play something else, until I beat it.

Yeah, I looked at a speedrun online it looks like items cost double, the bosses are now much harder (more enemies on screen and stuff), the hub areas for each dungeon now have enemies, and many other things. Permadeath looks like a fun - but challenging - time. Might jump into a run right now...

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
I guess you don't get anything for finishing challenge mode? Just the feeling of accomplishment?

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this anything similar to a Zelda experience or is it a zelda skin for the crypt game?

Really hard to tell if this is for me.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game. There is a fuck ton going on in the final dungeon. Thoroughly enjoyed it. There is definitely a 5th character based on the select screen. I am eager to find out who it might be.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I think the strange mix of genres and franchises is both a success and a failure

the success is mixing zelda and a rhythm game, because the music is awesome and so much fun to move to

the failure is the mix of a roguelike and adventure game. instead of complementing each other it kinda ruins both.
it just doesn't really make sense.
this game is not supposed be played like a roguelike, it's too easy for that and too big, although you can finish it in 30minutes, I know.
but the mechanics are still rooted in a roguelike.

the result of that is that unlike the original necrodancer, which motivated for dozens of hours, Cadence of hyrule is kinda over when it's over and that happens in 5 to 6 hours.
I guess I could play with a different character or some modifiers or try to do the leaderboards, but these things do not motivate me personally and I honestly doubt a large fraction of players will be motivated by this.

there is just something missing to properly motivate players after it's done, or it should not have been that easy in the first place.
I am just bummed because I love to play it but I can't find a reason to. I started a zelda run and it's honetly not different enough, i have worse block and the spear is still the best weapon and that's not really going to motivate me for another playthrough.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, sometimes five or six glorious hours are exactly what I want. I absolutely enjoy my time with the game while at lasts.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I just beat this. It took us 7 hours and a little over 60,000 steps. We died 20 times. She has zero rhythm so I'm glad permadeath was off by default as I don't think we could have beaten the game otherwise. I'll try permadeath on my own sometime perhaps. It was fun while it lasted!

Oct 2, 2018
btw - BIG ASS END GAME SPOILER

in the final boss fight, when I was jumping around versus ganon and so focused on him i didnt realise link and some other character had locked into the triforce pattern and then i did and jumped in to complete the triforce

that was so fucking cool.

Oct 2, 2018
I think the strange mix of genres and franchises is both a success and a failure

the success is mixing zelda and a rhythm game, because the music is awesome and so much fun to move to

the failure is the mix of a roguelike and adventure game. instead of complementing each other it kinda ruins both.
it just doesn't really make sense.
this game is not supposed be played like a roguelike, it's too easy for that and too big, although you can finish it in 30minutes, I know.
but the mechanics are still rooted in a roguelike.

the result of that is that unlike the original necrodancer, which motivated for dozens of hours, Cadence of hyrule is kinda over when it's over and that happens in 5 to 6 hours.
I guess I could play with a different character or some modifiers or try to do the leaderboards, but these things do not motivate me personally and I honestly doubt a large fraction of players will be motivated by this.

there is just something missing to properly motivate players after it's done, or it should not have been that easy in the first place.
I am just bummed because I love to play it but I can't find a reason to. I started a zelda run and it's honetly not different enough, i have worse block and the spear is still the best weapon and that's not really going to motivate me for another playthrough.

because this had potions + fairies, you can get a lot of health - it was literally dropping health at you every chance you get. And then there's all the heart containers. You can even chop down bushes to get health so yes, it skewers easier. I think they could have planned the game with more damage from enemies for a hard mode at the start which I would have happily chosen.

I do wish
dark world
was way bigger, like literally the whole map. Maybe they can DLC it and add more map to that area. If they did that and updated the game and moved the endgame to the end of this area, it would be a perfect length/game.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
SOMEBODY PLEASE FUCKING HELP ME I BEG YOU WHERE THE FRESH HELL CAN THE LAST HEART PIECE IS

-It's not in the overworld
-It's not in any cave
-It's not in any shop
-It's not in any dungeon or dungeon shop
-It's not in Kakariko
-It's not in Gerudo town
-It's not in the Lost Woods
-It's not in any minigame
EDIT: -It's not in the castle

can it be in the (LATE GAME SPOILERS) future? no, right? IM LOSING MY MIND WHERE IS IT

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SOMEBODY PLEASE FUCKING HELP ME I BEG YOU WHERE THE FRESH HELL CAN THE LAST HEART PIECE IS

-It's not in any cave
-It's not in any shop
-It's not in Kakariko
-It's not in Gerudo town

can it be in the castle? no, right? IM LOSING MY MIND WHERE IS IT

Time to get some fresh air or play something else!

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Ack, I'm an idiot.

Doing the Daily Challenge. The RNG gave me the most wonderful, easy, layout. I breeze through the entire game. I get to Gannon, and start phoning the fight in. I get to the Triforce part, and I have to characters in position. A black linonel spawns.

"Ah, I'll just brute force it."

And then, I got a gameover, because I stopped paying attention to me health. Eck.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas

-It's not in any cave
-It's not in any shop
-It's not in Kakariko
-It's not in Gerudo town

can it be in the castle? no, right? IM LOSING MY MIND WHERE IS IT

I finished the game and only was missing one piece of the last heart but I survived. For me it was probably in one of the earlier dungeon shops but it just didn't feel worth it to get. I wish you luck in your hunt for completion

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Tried a permadeath run and got to the Lost Swamp before being destroyed by Ghomaracas. The amount of projectiles and stuff was just insane. I even had two bottles, but I couldn't use the Lute to escape (I should've just quit the game really, might've been a better shot at surviving). Perhaps on my next run I should consider grinding more before doing the bosses? I think the best idea might be to clear all the dungeons but leave their bosses to the end (i.e. after grinding and exploring the full map), when I've got more hearts.

If you're complaining that the game is too easy, try playing Permadeath!

Steezy

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder when the daily challenge resets. Looks like it was midnight GMT for COTND but its just gone midnight here and it's not avilable yet.

edit: looks like it is midnight gmt/1am bst, didn't account for daylight saving.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
ah right.

2nd question. how does one get them to drop? I just fought the entire coast worth of
dekus shrubs
and got zero
It's only the armored ones that look like they have a spike on their head. There should even be a map indicator for them iirc (deku seed).

Additionally, there is a secret location with about 8.

A cave behind a cracked wall, in the Lost Woods where all the Poes are.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so access a new save file. Got it! so basically you always need a slot open for the daily...
I've been wondering about this. I'm not even sure you can save during dailies, so maybe you can start over a used file without it deleting it? It'd be really stupid to only have three slots otherwise...

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I must have been lucky in my first run- or this game is *significantly * easier than crypt of the necrodancer. That game I could never get very far - I once got to a boss after much pain and it thoroughly steamrolled me. Zelda on the other hand ? With a broadsword with titanium upgrade (I got both early on) - that you don't lose when you die! - and bottles of red potion, it's seemingly impossible to lose. Even the rhythm seems far more forgiving

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I must have been lucky in my first run- or this game is *significantly * easier than crypt of the necrodancer. That game I could never get very far - I once got to a boss after much pain and it thoroughly steamrolled me. Zelda on the other hand ? With a broadsword with titanium upgrade (I got both early on) - that you don't lose when you die! - and bottles of red potion, it's seemingly impossible to lose. Even the rhythm seems far more forgiving
It is way easier. The permanent items makes a huge difference. Not a bad thing though because Crypt is painfully hard and not something that would appeal to a broad audience.