• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ilagee

Nov 4, 2017

Oh wow, thanks, never saw that trailer.

But I still don't think that the rule "It was in the trailer, it is not a spoiler" applies here, especially when only 6 000 people seem to have seen the said video, compared to the 150 000+ views on the non-spoilery trailers provided by Nintendo.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know, I'm not really feeling this game at all, despite being a big 2D Zelda fan and enjoying Crypt of the Necrodancer. I found the overworld really bland and tedious to traverse, and the dungeons lack any distinctive features. Also, as soon as one gets a better weapon and some additional hearts, one can play the game on autopilot. At that point, studying enemy patterns becomes unnecessary.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At the zora dungeon, I keep getting killed early on first room. Have 5 hearts and stock sword. Are there certain items, upgrades I should buy?

If you mean the short sword, then getting another weapon goes a very long way. Broad sword and long sword in particular (I'm assuming you're playing as Link) are very good. You get to keep weapons after you die so don't worry about losing them.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh wow, thanks, never saw that trailer.

But I still don't think that the rule "It was in the trailer, it is not a spoiler" applies here, especially when only 6 000 people seem to have seen the said video, compared to the 150 000+ views on the non-spoilery trailers provided by Nintendo.
That's fair. I'm not sure which trailer shows up in the eShop though, but I sure knew about a fourth playable character before I got the game, haha. I don't think it's that big a deal.

A potential fifth one though 👀

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I've been replaying the game this time as just Zelda and I gotta say, the Bass Guitarmos Knights (very clever) are probably the hardest of the initial four bosses. I dunno, it's quite easy to get cornered by them. Luckily I had a potion, I suppose.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Regarding characters
Perhaps the fifth one is unlocked by beating the single character mode with each character once? Has anyone tried that yet?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not gonna lie, not exactly sure where to go to progress things forward

Seems I have to fight 4 bosses, but I'm just running in circles around the map.

I also lose some items and some don't when I die?

Okamiden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at what I believe is the very end and I'm trying to figure out an optional puzzle.

The side door in the dark world castle, with the ganon statues and the draggable blocks on the left side of the room.

I feel like an idiot but I have no idea what to do here.

EDIT: omg. It was so simple. Everything was a red herring. (._. )

How did you do it? I'm stuck at that puzzle too...
Edit : oops double post. I figured it out thanks to you saying everything was a red herring. Hah.

Last edited:

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I got the code yesterday to review the game, huge Zelda fan but never played the game this was based on.

Yesterday the game was kicking my ass something fierce. Couldnt clear a single screen with enemies so didnt earn any crystals. Was kinda freaking out cause how am I supposed to review this game if I cant git gud lol. I was thiiis close to start over again with the no-rythm mode.

Then I started the game up today again with a hangover no less and it just clicked. Now Ive earned like 30 crystals, have a better weapon, six hearts, snorkle, bottle. Its going smootly and Im really into it. Hell the game gets under my skin, as Im typing this Im typing it in the goddamn rythm of the game and the game isnt even on for gods sake lol.

Glad I stuck with the normal mode. My advise for newcomers is start at the bottom of the map on the beach, enemies are managable there and now I can even beat harder enemies like in Lake Hylia.

Still not good enough to beat the harder mini bosses underground (like that knight and rock creature). Any tips?

Ok after this Ive played some more and cleared my first dungeon. This game has got it hooks in me, so addictive! Im figuring out the motions of enemies and getting a good grip on the rhytm. This might end up as one of my favorite games of the year if it continues like this!

Hoping for a physical release down the line. Nintendo did it for Snipperclips, although that was timed with the release of more content. Cmon Nintendo gimme that Switch box!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Also, as soon as one gets a better weapon and some additional hearts, one can play the game on autopilot. At that point, studying enemy patterns becomes unnecessary.

This is the biggest issue for me. I'm right at the end and I've died a handful of times, mostly at the beginning. Once I got a titanium morning star, the entire game including bosses became trivial. I don't really know what the bosses even do, I just brute forced them first try.

I don't know how this can be solved, because even if you lose your weapons when you die, once you get a good weapon you just don't die, so that'd be moot anyway. Perhaps give weapons durability too? I don't know, I almost feel like that was the original design but people disliked it and they changed it.

I'm also disappointed in the optional character as a source of challenge. I mean, surely there could be a middle ground between steamrolling the game and
a character that dies in one hit
?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the biggest issue for me. I'm right at the end and I've died a handful of times, mostly at the beginning. Once I got a titanium morning star, the entire game including bosses became trivial. I don't really know what the bosses even do, I just brute forced them first try.

I don't know how this can be solved, because even if you lose your weapons when you die, once you get a good weapon you just don't die, so that'd be moot anyway. Perhaps give weapons durability too? I don't know, I almost feel like that was the original design but people disliked it and they changed it.

I'm also disappointed in the optional character as a source of challenge. I mean, surely there could be a middle ground between steamrolling the game and
a character that dies in one hit
?
Double speed imo kinda fits that. But i guess youll get easily adjusted to that.

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean the short sword, then getting another weapon goes a very long way. Broad sword and long sword in particular (I'm assuming you're playing as Link) are very good. You get to keep weapons after you die so don't worry about losing them.
Thanks man, I was focusing on saving diamonds for hearts but the shop doesn't have them anymore even tho I have like 15 diamonds so I'll buy a sword

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
No. There are no heart pieces in the castle. If you got all from the overworld go back to all the dungeons and check the shops. My last one was in the first dungeon because I probably didn't have the Rupees to buy it in the beginning and forgot about it.

Also, did you win the two minigames in the towns twice?

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I dunno, it feels like all it would do is force me to lean more into the more brainless patterns like hopping back and forth while the flail takes care of approaching enemies. I want to have to think more, not be able to think less.

Why not just use a less OP weapon? You're not forced to use the flail. Use a titanium dagger so you're forced to get closer, or something.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
No. There are no heart pieces in the castle. If you got all from the overworld go back to all the dungeons and check the shops. My last one was in the first dungeon because I probably didn't have the Rupees to buy it in the beginning and forgot about it.

Also, did you win the two minigames in the towns twice?
Bleh, not looking forward to backtracking.

And I think I won them twice, I'll check after work.

Jamieee

Oct 28, 2017
Is the clock messed up for anyone else too? Got 36 hours played apparently, and it should be closer to 2.

veras

Oct 27, 2017

There's no hearts in Hyrule castle, all are obtainable before you open the gate with the four instruments.

The heart container locations are:
Each of the four dungeons has one 'loose' heart piece in the non-randomized area(s), the two shops in each of the four dungeons can have hearts for sale in them, various other shops in the game (some of which aren't marked on the map like the one in Gerudo town) can/do have hearts, the basement of the Gerudo building where you wake up the woman to get in has one, the archery and bombchu games have one each, overworld ones show up on the map once you have the heart charm, and besides that just check every cave in the game since there's hearts in a couple (personally, my last one was from moving a robot/statue thing through a puzzle in a cave then killing him and he dropped it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh yeah, and after just exploring the hour yesterday (which was super I finally beat a boss and am at a second dungeon now, taking a break.

This is pretty great stuff.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Wait, really? That's not how I did it. I just used
ice arrows to push the block over the water.
Or is there something extra in that room? I'll have to go back and check for that once my switch is charged.

Great game anyhow, that last boss was fun.
whoa, didn't know you could do that
I just used hover boots, but later figured it out. There's a wall behind a fence that you can dig, and inside there's one slab.past that slab is some stairs and a move (arrow) trap. So you get the slab out of there with the korok leaf and use it to go up, since it's at the other side of the water

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
This game is a triumph. Nicely varied weapons and items and abilities. Nicely challenging and subsequently rewarding. Well rounded learning curve. Good blend of proc gen and fixed map. Killer soundtrack

That is all

Jamessh1

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question - does the master sword make an appearance? May or may not be worth spoiler tagging answer.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I hope playing this game will help me get decent for crypt of the necrodancer. I can't get past the 2nd level consistently lol

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what the heck? Why does Link have brown hair?!
It's his A Link to the Past design.
ALttP_Sewer_Passageway_Artwork.png

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the 25min Treehouse video of this game and it looks and sounds awesome. Horrifyingly difficult for someone with no rhythm, so not sure if I should jump in.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's his A Link to the Past design.
ALttP_Sewer_Passageway_Artwork.png

Also Zelda I and II, cartoon series, etc. He didn't become a blonde until Ocarina of Time, IIRC.

Why not just use a less OP weapon? You're not forced to use the flail. Use a titanium dagger so you're forced to get closer, or something.

I don't much like having to intentionally handicap myself in games, but I guess I could try that if I play through the game again. It would be much better to just have a mode where weapons break...

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. Is there anything worth going back and doing? More stuff to unlock?

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
i really wanted to love this game. and i definitely liked it. but i personally thought that cotd was much better. coh... i'm not sure what it is that doesn't excite me. the enemies felt repetitive and too easy. once i had a couple heart containers i barely had to worry about learning enemy patterns. the dungeons i felt were really disappointing. i never really cared that much about items, just whichever spear i had on me. traps felt like something to just avoid rather than use strategically. i never felt the need to seek out chests or the shop, because all i needed was a torch and a shovel. i finished this game in ~3 hours and all i felt like doing after was playing more cotd lol.

the music was excellent though, really enjoyable. and the art direction was super detailed and fresh, i loved it.