• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I'm really enjoying this.

I have completed 13 games but I've never completed or enjoyed Link to the Past, but this thankfully draws on the whole series nicely.

I'm pretty bad at Necrodancer, but the fact that they allow wall bumps to keep rhythm going makes controlling enemy distances so much easier. The designated battle rooms, easy escape, and down time make a big difference too.

I haven't beaten any bosses and I just lost a great run due to encountering a bomb fairy for the first time. Ah well!

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I picked Zelda at the start and now I want to try Link. Is there an easy way to switch or does that happen later in the story? Or do I just need to start a new game?

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Finished the game a couple of hours ago. What a gem. It's the crossover I never knew I wanted and needed. Loved CotN back then und combining this with Zelda is just amazing. The Remixes are just SO good. However, after playing a while the game got rather easy. At some point I had like 200 gems and did not know what to with them. Nevertheless, had a great time playing this. Need more!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How do obsidian weapons work in fixed beat mode? Is the damage multiplier reset only whenever you take damage?

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Got too many questions about the game and there's very little info out yet

-How many Deku seeds are there? I had 21 so now I'm just going around with 1 left and I feel like I'm missing something

-I used 3 gears to get into the Gerudo dungeon but there's actually 4? what's the use of them???

-I tried putting all the cuccoos into the corral in Kakariko but got nothing. That seems strange

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I found the ice rod, finally, now I have 100%ed the game on a single save file.
Since I did a Link and Zelda playthrough, I'm going with Cadence only for the 3rd one.
Got too many questions about the game and there's very little info out yet

-How many Deku seeds are there? I had 21 so now I'm just going around with 1 left and I feel like I'm missing something

-I used 3 gears to get into the Gerudo dungeon but there's actually 4? what's the use of them???

-I tried putting all the cuccoos into the corral in Kakariko but got nothing. That seems strange
There is one more seed and gear than needed so your inventory looks nice once you get everything.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Nearing the end of the game but I'm still missing a bottle and one charm (very top one).
I know the game randomly generates so I can't ask for specific locations to look for but I've checked the whole map. Only red chests are remaining and I've visited all shops. Any pointers as to how I should proceed?

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nearing the end of the game but I'm still missing a bottle and one charm (very top one).
I know the game randomly generates so I can't ask for specific locations to look for but I've checked the whole map. Only red chests are remaining and I've visited all shops. Any pointers as to how I should proceed?

I think key items also drop from minibosses, marked as a skull on your map. You could always try them if you've any left.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I found the ice rod, finally, now I have 100%ed the game on a single save file.
Since I did a Link and Zelda playthrough, I'm going with Cadence only for the 3rd one.

There is one more seed and gear than needed so your inventory looks nice once you get everything.
But the gears didn't disappear from my inventory, I still have all 4

I've gotten all bottles from shops.
one from the Stag Beetle shop on the beach, another on a Beedle shop, I can't remember the other but I think it was in kakariko?

Did you start with Link? If you started with Zelda, the top charm is
given to you by impa, in zelda's room
Don't know how it works with link

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I got the code yesterday to review the game, huge Zelda fan but never played the game this was based on.

Yesterday the game was kicking my ass something fierce. Couldnt clear a single screen with enemies so didnt earn any crystals. Was kinda freaking out cause how am I supposed to review this game if I cant git gud lol. I was thiiis close to start over again with the no-rythm mode.

Then I started the game up today again with a hangover no less and it just clicked. Now Ive earned like 30 crystals, have a better weapon, six hearts, snorkle, bottle. Its going smootly and Im really into it. Hell the game gets under my skin, as Im typing this Im typing it in the goddamn rythm of the game and the game isnt even on for gods sake lol.

Glad I stuck with the normal mode. My advise for newcomers is start at the bottom of the map on the beach, enemies are managable there and now I can even beat harder enemies like in Lake Hylia.

Still not good enough to beat the harder mini bosses underground (like that knight and rock creature). Any tips?

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, remembered that I never went back to Link's house. Got it.
Only missing a bottle (and the 21st Deku Scrub, which also isn't on my map...)

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Still not good enough to beat the harder mini bosses underground (like that knight and rock creature). Any tips?
Mostly just learn their patterns and don't rush, spears also help with the rock creature.
Zelda's shield can reflect those big area attacks the bosses have and deal like 2-4 hearts of damage if you time it right
Poison is great for bosses (except the rock one)

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Mostly just learn their patterns and don't rush, spears also help with the rock creature.
Zelda's shield can reflect those big area attacks the bosses have and deal like 2-4 hearts of damage if you time it right
Poison is great for bosses (except the rock one)

Thanks for the tip. Just lost 400 rupees to that knight on the beach though lol.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm just wandering around lost. I've only played an hour and a half so far and this game is tougher than I thought I'd be. My sense of rhythm is less well developed than I'd like.

I did manage to beat the Gohmaracas though.

By the way, I didn't really feel like I explored the whole dungeon before I got to the boss. Is this normal?

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
So I'm just wandering around lost. I've only played an hour and a half so far and this game is tougher than I thought I'd be. My sense of rhythm is less well developed than I'd like.

I did manage to beat the Gohmaracas though.

By the way, I didn't really feel like I explored the whole dungeon before I got to the boss. Is this normal?
You don't really have to. Once you beat the miniboss in each floor you can move on to the next floor and ignore the rest. There are some more enemies and items and rupees, the merchant sometimes has a heart piece or something, but you can just go back and beat it again

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Beat it last night before bed, what a tremendous experience. Hats off to BYG and Nintendo for making this happen, absolutely incredible game from an unlikely crossover.

Definitely looking forward to another run soon, might swing back to my save to clean up the map and 100% it.

Would love to see some DLC, day 0 for anything that gives me more. Honestly hoping they team up again for a sequel.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone tell me if the final heart piece is very close to the final boss or did I miss is somewhere before?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Been switching between normal mode and fixed beat mode. I find fixed beat easier, but less fun.

Problem is the game REALLY kicks my ass! I can't seem to find the mobs patterns without getting hit at least 1 or 2 times.

The skeletons in a horse, for example, I always get hit once before making them drop the horse.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Not gonna lie, I was quite disappointed for a bit in the end when
the time travel got its own little animation and you ended up in future hyrule's castle. I was really hoping there's gonna be a "dark world" for a second.

Does anyone have any idea where to find about 9 Deku Scrubs, after already
finding the ones in the lost woods cave?
There are none on the map left.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Any tips on how to improve the beat.... I keep missing it and keep dying...

Do something to the beat, like tapping your foot or nodding your head. That helped me tremendously when starting out with Necrodancer. Personally, the metronome at the bottom doesn't help me at all and acted more as a distraction so focusing solely on the beat as you hear it might also be useful.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Do something to the beat, like tapping your foot or nodding your head. That helped me tremendously when starting out with Necrodancer. Personally, the metronome at the bottom doesn't help me at all and acted more as a distraction so focusing solely on the beat as you hear it might also be useful.
Also, for handheld at least don't fuck around with the calibration and leave it all at 0, that thing -imo- isn't useful at all. For TV or non cable headphones yes, calibration might help.

KeRaSh

Oct 26, 2017
Beat the game. Had a ton of fun.

Hopefully we get some Dark World DLC.
It seems there are 5 playable characters. Who is the last one and how do I unlock him/her?
Got Link, Zelda, Cadence and the Deku.

Last edited:

Tuna

Oct 25, 2017
I was struggling with the game for the first hour or two, but I got the hang of it after a while. The spear makes a lot of the encounters more bearable.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good, but it's perhaps one of the worst games to play handheld for me due to how it makes my hands cramp up. :( I'm hesitant to play it docked because I don't want to deal with any delay or input lag on my Bluetooth headphones.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So what parts of this game are actually procedurally generated? The whole overworld, short caves, and dungeons?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So what parts of this game are actually procedurally generated? The whole overworld, short caves, and dungeons?

Most of the overworld is randomly generated - the areas around each of the four dungeons do remain roughly the same each run (Death Mountain, Lake Hylia, Lost Woods, etc.), but that's it. The rest is randomly generated, and the caves/dungeons are procedurally generated (unless they're puzzle oriented caves, in which case, they stay the same).

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so good, but it's perhaps one of the worst games to play handheld for me due to how it makes my hands cramp up. :( I'm hesitant to play it docked because I don't want to deal with any delay or input lag on my Bluetooth headphones.

Just recalibrate for the configuration you want to use. It's in the options menu.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Dumb question but how do I switch character? I am playing as Zelda. I assume I have to find Link out in the world. I've come across Cadance and she has given me skills/items but can switch to her?

Oct 27, 2017
At the zora dungeon, I keep getting killed early on first room. Have 5 hearts and stock sword. Are there certain items, upgrades I should buy?

Oct 25, 2017
So there's some kind of level scaling as you beat each dungeon, which some enemies up-tiering into harder versions of enemies. There should be a difficulty toggle that forces blanket upscaling, IMO, as I think that is generally interesting in this combat system.