• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Is it bad that I prefer to play this in fixed-beat mode? The music is so good, but its kind of more fun to me to play this like a tactical strategy game at my own pace

With the more adventure / puzzle focus this game has compared to the original, I wouldn't say so. I can see myself playing through on fixed-beat to enjoy and soak up the world, then return on normal mode for replayability and speed runs.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Maan, this game is hard but also super fun.
The music is amazing as expected.

/edit: What does fixed beat do? Enemies only move when you move?

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
This game is amazing! A real step up from CotN, which I adored in every way.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Only played it for a few minutes in portable mode; can't wait to play it on the TV. My only fear in docked mode is the d-pad on the Pro Controller. Anyone tested it out yet to see how sensitive the inputs are? An up movement in this game registering in the wrong direction could kill a run.

Time for an 8bitdo sn30. I'll be testing it out on mine tonight.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
My first hour of this game in a nutshell.

color-me-happy-game-over-white_a-G-15238163-0.jpg
8e0acd3e-2c9d-43c7-a5mjtd.jpeg

Yeah I died 11 times the first 30 mins, found a lot of heart pieces so it's slowly getting better.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
After 2 hours with the game I can confirm Cadence of Hyrule is a very good video game.

Maybe its just that I've played a lot of CotN recently (bought it and loved the hell out of it following the announcement for this) but it seems pretty easy so far. Not that I haven't died a few times but CotN really helped prepare me for a lot of this one.

And to the surprise of no one, we have a sountrack of the year contender here. Massive smile on my face on two occasions so far:

When I realised the trailer Tal Tal Heights overworld theme was a general Zelda medley with the Great Sea, OoT Hyrule Field and Great Fairy's Theme + getting to the desert for the first time and hearing the always brilliant Gerrudo Valley.

The Original music is fantastic as well. The first main dungeon really stood out to me.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Polygon review:

"The greatest compliment I can give to Cadence of Hyrule is that if I didn't know any better, I would say this was made by an in-house Nintendo development team. The amount of care and affection found in every area of the game makes it feel astounding that an indie developer was able to pull this off with such confidence. "
just started and 1st paragraph

Zelda spinoffs are not great. Considering the pedigree of the franchise, the spin-offs tend to be, at best, fine or passable. The general consensus is that Link's Crossbow Training, a simple light gun game, is the best of the bunch, which says a lot.

making the claim unprovoked while leaving out the most notable of recent spinoffs in Hyrule Warriors, which is great. Oof.

I'll keep reading of course, but what a weird and wrong way to start lol.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm so sad. I bought the game and the code hasn't arrived yet 2 hours later by e-mail. Sent a message to Nintendo.

Edit: Somehow it let me buy on the Brazilian e-shop two hours ago, though now I'm navigating through it and it doesn't have the game available. What happened, lol

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017

making the claim unprovoked while leaving out the most notable of recent spinoffs in Hyrule Warriors, which is great. Oof.

That's Musuos for you. You either like them or really, really, REALLY don't. One guess which of the two the reviewer falls into.

Still, I would be incredibly surprised if I one day look back and think "I enjoyed Cadence of Hyrule more than Hyrule Warriors." I'm hard pressed to call Hyrule Warriors anything other than my favourite Zelda game, even if it wouldn't be nearly as good without the existance of the main series.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
That's Musuos for you. You either like them or really, really, REALLY don't. One guess which of the two the reviewer falls into.

Still, I would be incredibly surprised if I one day look back and think "I enjoyed Cadence of Hyrule more than Hyrule Warriors." I'm hard pressed to call Hyrule Warriors anything other than my favourite Zelda game, even if it wouldn't be nearly as good without the existance of the main series.
feel the reviewer maybe forgot it existed lol.
even if someone hates or loves link's crossbow, or hyrule, it'd be weird to ignore. Preferences aside, Hyrule has a sizeable metacritic score advantage at least.

isn't that tingle game not bad either?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Man, I hate it when I generally have no interest in a game but then I read 1 or 2 great articles and the Era OT and I'm hyped as fuck out of nowhere.
Think I will buy it later.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

Yeah especially when Hyrule Warriors is not only a great spinoff but my favorite Musou game, period. Weird.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
The price asked is worth it for the soundtrack alone, Danny Baranowsky is rising up as a legendary composer.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Fixed beat mode makes it so you don't have to move on beat. Basically strips out the rhythm element to make it easier. It's the bard character from the original CotN
i'm quite happy it's just a setting this time.
especially since I will play the game co op and co op on beat is hard #_#

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched the Treehouse segment on this. The sprite work is sublime and the music is great, but the gameplay just doesn't appeal to me. At least it's not another rogue-like.

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing so far. Getting the tempo on some tracks can be difficult but when some familiar theme kicks in its like BLAM

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just came home. I absolutely cannot afford to pay 25€ for a game right now.

But this is my most awaited game of the year so I'm going to pretend I fell and hit the buy button. :/

Edit: Goddamnit, I also had to pretend I hit the letters of my Nintendo account password. In the correct order.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
Played through the opening bits on my lunch break - and I'm already in love.

Can't wait for Danny Baranowsky to release the OST so I can pick that up.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
The title screen music, it's so beautiful! The music is what I'm most excited for, just from the title screen I know it's going to be amazing. Why do I have to work now! I'll dive into it when I get home.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
This game is so good, but its so hard.

I spent ages trying to do this puzzle to hit a bush with one of my items thinking it'd be a hidden entrance and it turned out to be 5 rupees. I spent like 15 minutes trying to get it as well. Oh well, it was a challenge!

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is really pretty, great music, and advances on the Necrodancer game perfectly.

However I'm stuck as hell already, must have missed something but just gotta wait til someone else gets to it 😅

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is the hard Zelda game everyone's been asking for. LOL

Gonna pick this up tonight. Looking forward to being punished!

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I knew this was gonna be good when I heard the title music
Huge smile on my face hearing the music while walking into Kakariko Village

Also it's crazy that it seems like every song has a pause screen version and a enemies defeated version. So much care put into this game that it really feels like Nintendo made it.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this and loving it. Beaten one temple this far, and generally having a great time actually playing as Zelda in a Zelda game. I liked Necrodancer a lot too, but this is so much better. All these different renditions of old Zelda tunes are really nice, and the gameplay elevates it beyond being nostalgia fodder.

Wiifitkid

Mar 12, 2018
First reviews have been coming out. Polygon called it the best zelda spinoff and destructoid gave it like a 9.5/10

Edit: Just realized I'm late to the ballgame. Reviews already on here.

membran

Oct 27, 2017
It's like Necrodancer without being like Necrodancer at all, as weird as that sounds.

I'll reserve final judgement as I've only taken down the first boss, but it's pretty great so far. It'll be interesting to see how replayability turns out. The dungeons are randomized of course, but I'm not so sure about the overworld itself, because most screens have those puzzles baked in, I don't think those are generated. Maybe it'll scramble the overworld screens a bit on a new run?