• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Is this the same game(Crypt of the NecroDancer) but with Zelda and Link plus TLoZ music added?

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Obligatory

jEcxTcM.gif

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
If you're willing to part with like $4 you could buy the original game and treat it as a demo I guess, but otherwise no I don't think so :\

Bonus being that if you do like it, Necrodancer is fucking awesome and you'll have gotten it for $4 instead of $20
That's what I did. Didn't want to start this and struggle with the concept. So I'm using Necrodancer as practise. It is awesome too.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
I've never beaten a Zelda game and I'm tremendously hyped for this. CotN is fantastic.

I almost feel bad playing this before the other games, I'll go into it knowing like 2 or 3 songs :|

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was really concerned going into this as a Zelda fan first and foremost.

NAH, IT'S DOPE AS FUCK

if you're a Zelda-head and don't give a FUCK about COTN (much like me) you'll still enjoy this. Tons of environmental puzzles with enemies (even in the overworld), and it's pretty challenging in comparison to like LTTP or something (mostly due to the COTN movement/combat).

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to see how replayable this ends up being with the changes and how the unlocks look before I jump in right now. It does look fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
Eek not sure how I feel about it being overly difficult

There's a setting to ignore the ryhthm aspect.

Also, the world is randomly generated and more open that most of the Zelda games. You can have some REALLY hard challenge screens near the start as a result, so it is up to you to decide whether to barrel in for the lootz or to do other parts of the world to power up before doing challenges, or to learn each enemy's "dance" and rhythm before making an attempt at the harder screens.

The randomization of the world feels pretty good.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued by the ignoring the rhythm aspect, because doesn't that essentially take away the essence of the game?

I'll be keen to hear what people's thoughts are on the game who don't play along with the rhythm.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
How does fixed mode work? Instead of enemies moving to the beat, do they only move when you do, like in traditional rogue-likes?

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
It looked easier than CotN on the stream.

But somewhat easier CotN probably equates to the hardest Zelda game. (Minus Zelda 2... I forgot about that game)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm fixed beat makes this playable for me... buuuutttt I kinda want to know if there are more unlockable characters first(like a way to unlock Cadence for the full game)

The character swap at a Sheikah Stone is laid out to clearly have more than just Link and Zelda to rotate through. (it shows your character and the next character to the left or right, so it show's Link to both sides of Zelda.)

Last edited:

Murugo

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely can't wait to play this tonight.

I'm curious if theres a character or mode which plays in 2X time similar to Bolt? I would love it if there was an option for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely can't wait to play this tonight.

I'm curious if theres a character or mode which plays in 2X time similar to Bolt? I would love it if there was an option for that.

Double time is one of the options you can select from the start of the game. Several of the character differences from Crypt are toggles you can apply, and there is a Daily Challenge run or single-character (non-story) mode.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I am here to report that yes, the game is great.
A few things that might help convince newbies:
It's very easy to get two more heart containers right off the bat if you're having trouble.
Just get a small number of diamonds from clearing rooms, die, and you can purchase a heart container for two diamonds, and another for five
The music is amazing.
Haven't tried the no beat mode, but that's cool it exists.
It's generally a lot more zelda than Crypt than I was expecting? In a good way. Lots of exploration, puzzle solving, item progression.

I love it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued by the ignoring the rhythm aspect, because doesn't that essentially take away the essence of the game?

I'll be keen to hear what people's thoughts are on the game who don't play along with the rhythm.
at least in crypt playing as the bard to remove rhythm still left it as an enjoyable game.
co op is really really really hard unless both players are skilled without the rhythm aspect turned off.
don't know if that is all still true for cadence though.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

I haven't played this but playing the Bard on Crypt (the equivalent of this game's fixed beat mode) is still enjoyable, even though it makes things drastically easier. Without the beat it basically becomes a typical rougelike/turn-based strategy game where enemies move and perform actions or attacks only when you do. You still have to plan ahead and space/align yourself with enemies accordingly.

Playing normally essentially changes it to real time, so you have to think way faster and enemies will move and perform actions even if you don't.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

If it's anything like the rhythmless mode in the original Crypt, basically the "beat" changes to be whenever you press a button. It sort of gives the game a bit of a turn-based approach, and lets you slow things down in order to learn enemy patterns.

I picked up Crypt just yesterday, and after a few rhythmless rounds I was trained and ready to jump back into the normal mode.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I was excited to play this but I'm enjoying it even more than expected so far.

And that music....😍

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Soundtrack highlight so far:

A smooth jazz piano version of Song of Storms.

Nice as hell.

Last edited:

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I think I'll give it a go, not knowing if it is for me at all, what the hell!

Anyone know how long we can expect a playthrough to be?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok does anyone know how to get to that chest on the ledge shortly in the game? its a place with 3 blocks and a stone ball. I cant figure it out for the life of me.

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Is it bad that I prefer to play this in fixed-beat mode? The music is so good, but its kind of more fun to me to play this like a tactical strategy game at my own pace

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Only played it for a few minutes in portable mode; can't wait to play it on the TV. My only fear in docked mode is the d-pad on the Pro Controller. Anyone tested it out yet to see how sensitive the inputs are? An up movement in this game registering in the wrong direction could kill a run.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I got the movement and attacking down pack, but it'll take some getting used to each enemy's attack patterns. That's the one thing still throwing me off at times. But god the music is so good.