• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
bL7kPPx.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Nintendo Switch
Release Date: June 13th, 2019 (Likely during the Treehouse stream starting at 9 a.m. PT)
Genre: "Rhythmic Action-Adventure"
Price: US$24.99
Player(s): 1-2
Format: Digital
Developer: Brace Yourself Games
Publisher: Nintendo
Size: ~677MB

Qr9EdWy.png

What is "Cadence of Hyrule – Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring the Legend of Zelda" aside from being a mouthful of a title?
Cadence of Hyrule is a crossover between Crypt of the NecroDancer and the Legend of Zelda series. In it you traverse an overworld and complete dungeons like you would in a Zelda game but now every action you make, from *moving to attacking, has to be done in time with the beat of the soundtrack.

*Occasionally when you clear a screen of enemies and hazards you are given free movement.

So the game is randomly generated like Crypt of the Necrodancer?
The overworld is semi-random with it being generated once per playthrough, but dungeons are completely random (aside from the entrance) each time you enter them.

Is the game just combat?
You will encounter puzzles and environmental hazards/modifiers as well.

What happens when I die?
You will be able to respawn at any Sheikah Stone you have encountered in the overworld. You'll keep your diamonds (used to unlock new equipment) and any major items and but lose insignificant, and replaceable, ones like torches.

So there is no permadeath?
There is an option to enable permadeath but it is not active by default.

Who are the playable characters?
You start off playing as Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer but will eventually pick between either Link or Zelda (Cadence appears to be an option later in the game going off screenshots/video but the specifics are TBA).

Link can use his shield to block while moving and Zelda is able to reflect projectiles back at enemies with Nayru's Love. You can eventually switch between the characters at a Sheikah Stone.

I have terrible rhythm. Can I still play this?
There is a "Fixed Beat" mode where you are able to turn off the beats and just focus on your strategy without rhythm.

Any other features?
There are Daily Challenges for Nintendo Switch Online members.

How many songs are in the game?
The game features 25 tracks remixed tracks from the Zelda series.

How does co-op work?
Co-op (triggered at a Sheikah Stone once you have unlocked both Link and Zelda) spawns both characters into the world and allows them to be controlled independently of each other.

Online co-op?
No. The co-op is local only.

Physical release?
Nothing has been mentioned so far.

Does the game support cloud saves?
Yes.

ThuOJBD.png

53jkq8d.jpg
bZIwPRf.jpg

LKoeQOA.jpg
dH1B2cP.jpg

uzxDiDi.png

Metacritic - 88

Destructoid 9.5/10
https://www.destructoid.com/review-cadence-of-hyrule-crypt-of-the-necrodancer-557153.phtml
Cadence of Hyrule really surprised me. It takes the best parts of Crypt of the NecroDancer and makes them more accessible, which really comes with the territory when you're paying homage to The Legend of Zelda. Although it may still take you a while to pick it up, the familiar and welcome open world format is a much better way for new players to acclimate.

Polygon: Unscored
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/6/13/18677696/cadence-of-hyrule-review-zelda-necrodancer
Even more astounding is that Nintendo was willing to grant the team at Brace Yourself Games so much control over one of its most successful and iconic franchises. It was a risky endeavor that paid off, and I hope this heralds a future willingness to be even more experimental with the faces and franchises we've come to know so well.

The Verge: Unscored
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/13/...-zelda-nintendo-hands-on-release-date-e3-2019
It's that kind of mindset that has given us rare gems like the beloved SNES classic Super Mario RPG. So it's good to see Nintendo embracing it again with Cadence of Hyrule in the era of the Switch, which has become just as much a gateway to the indie game world as it is a flagship Nintendo console. It's that dual purpose for the device that makes it all the more refreshing to see those two worlds combine in a crossover as delightfully weird and fun as Cadence of Hyrule.

TBvnkVP.png

Store Page

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it doesn't go up at some random time tomorrow. If it goes up right at 12am Easter I can play it for a couple of hours before going to bed.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aww yesss, downloading this as soon as I'm home from work tomorrow.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This scared me, I thought it would be unlocked already.
The French direct said it would be Thursday evening (cest) so I guess at the same time as Treehouse Live focusing on indies.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Going to have to wait until payday before I can pick this up, but I'm super pumped! I can't wait to hear all of the remixed songs.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A tiny bit surprised it's not perma-death rogue-like by default but really that makes a lot of sense given the Zelda crowd it's going to attract.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Bought already and waiting for it to unlock.
The only thing I'm not the biggest fan of are the character illustrations, but in-game it looks great visually, and the music is awesome.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Seems like no midnight. However, looking at the icon

it looks like Ganon isn't the main villain? Curious if they'll somehow restrain themselves from making him the secret final boss.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
"Oh this Crypt of the Necrodancer game looks alright. I might try it one day but probably not"
*slap a Zelda skin on the next game*
"Oh shit I gotta buy this Day 1!"

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
There is a "Fixed Beat" mode where you are able to turn off the beats and just focus on your strategy without rhythm.
Does that mean you can just play it like a regular roguelike? I've been on the fence about getting it because I'm bad at rhythm games and I never played Necrodancer for that reason.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
A tiny bit surprised it's not perma-death rogue-like by default but really that makes a lot of sense given the Zelda crowd it's going to attract.
That's me baby. I played CotN for about two hours and dropped it. That's typically my attention span for rogue likes. But by tweaking the concept and putting some Zelda paint on it I'm on board.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
It's almost here!
Talking about the time it unlocks: I watched the e3 trailer's German version and in the end it said 'unlocks during the evening on the June 13th'. Since it's 6:16AM now, it's a long way to go.

Jan 2, 2018
So there is no permadeath?
There is an option to enable permadeath but it is not active by default.

Smart move to appeal to the bigger audience that will be attracted by the Zelda flavour.

Any other features?
There are Daily Challenges for Nintendo Switch Online members.

Oh! Really? That sounds cool!

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I played some of Crypt of the Necrodancer over the past day since it was on sale for $4 and I wanted to see if I should buy this game. LOVED it. Just preordered Cadence of Hyrule and it's now pre-loading.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Woah Fixed beat means I'll get this as I suck at rhythm games which is why I never got the original... May beat lttp first though.

Ooo I hope the daily challenges means more content and unlockable characters outside of cadence, Link and Zelda

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
hype. necrodancer on PC was hella fun, on handhelds its gonna be the shiznit

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
*tries launching Cadence of Hyrule but can't because it's not unlocked yet*

giphy.gif

But it's OK, just one more sleep.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
I am so ready for the glorious soundtrack. Have we heard anything about when to expect an official OST release?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Cadence is so feverishly loved by Frenchies that they crashed Nintendo FR by constantly refreshing to be able to download the game

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe that Leisure Suit Larry got a midnight release on the eshop (in the EU) but this didn't lol

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda sure got a ton of love this E3.

Ended up buying the original Crypt of the Necrodancer for $4 to tide me over.