• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
New poll released today:
Gov. Gavin Newsom's approval rating has plummeted following the winter surge of COVID-19 and controversial stay-at-home order, a new poll from the UC Berkeley Institute of Government Studies found.

According to the poll of 10,000 voters conducted online last week, 46% Californians approve of the governor's performance, while 48% disapprove. It's a dramatic drop from the last Berkeley IGS poll (conducted in September 2020), which found that Newsom had an approval rating of 64% and a disapproval rating of 36%.
The good news for Newsom is that the poll also found that more California voters oppose the ongoing recall efforts (45%) than support them (36%), but a large number of voters (19%) are undecided. If the recall petition qualifies, Newsom needs more than 50% of voters to vote "no" on recalling him.

The poll finds that 20% of Democratic voters and 28% of voters with no party preference are undecided on the recall, while just 9% of Republicans haven't made up their minds. Those figures suggest it's fair to hypothesize that a large chunk of the state's 19% of undecided voters can be persuaded to back the governor if the recall qualifies.

"These results should provide a strong warning to the Governor," IGS co-director Eric Schickler said in a release accompanying the poll. "If the recall election does go forward, the state's response to the pandemic needs to be seen as more successful for the Governor than it is now for him to be confident of the election outcome."
www.sfgate.com

Poll: Gavin Newsom's approval rating plummets; more disapprove than approve

Gavin Newsom's approval rating fell nearly 20 percentage points since the last time the...

Organizers say they've reached 1.3 million signatures:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KRON) – Organizers working to recall Governor Gavin Newsom say they're confident they'll get enough signatures for the issue to be left up to voters this year.

The effort is gaining signatures and money with more than a month left before its deadline.

Organizers say they've amassed more than 1.3 million signatures on petitions for a recall, the Secretary of State says the group has until mid-March to collect about 1.5 million certified signatures for the issue to head to voters.

Dunsmore says the group has raised about $2-million from a variety of donors, including a recent $100,000 contribution from Chamath Palihapitiya — A billionaire venture capitalist who was once a Facebook executive and now CEO of social capital and chairman at Virgin Galactic.
www.kron4.com

‘Recall Newsom’ effort gains more than 1.3 million signatures

Organizers working to recall Governor Gavin Newsom say they’re confident they’ll get enough signatures for the issue to be left up to voters this year.

Faulconer announces run:
www.politico.com

Former San Diego mayor to officially launch GOP challenge to Newsom

Faulconer, who was San Diego mayor for more than six years, told POLITICO he will run in the recall election should the drive qualify by the mid-March deadline.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I understand Newsom was always in a massively difficult place with a lot of this stuff, but he's done a horrific job managing it and his optics are absolutely pathetic. I would support a recall to someone to can actually stick to fucking *any* plan of action.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waste of time and money. Kevin Faulconer can f right off. Frankly I don't feel like the shut down went far enough. People largely ignored it anyway which greatly exacerbated things. Newsome hasn't been perfect, but he's not the problem with the state.

Edit: fixed name

Last edited:

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
Lets blame the stupidity of Californians on one guy instead of looking in the mirror of our own stupidity.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Gavin Newsom has annoyed the entire political spectrum and bears responsibility for the bad covid response. A recall is warranted here IMO.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I understand Newsom was always in a massively difficult place with a lot of this stuff, but he's done a horrific job managing it and his optics are absolutely pathetic. I would support a recall to someone to can actually stick to fucking *any* plan of action.
Try getting the crazies in SoCal to do anything.

His re-election is already next year, and the recall effort means you'd be choosing a Republican to fill the seat (because there doesn't seem to be any Democratic interest in stepping into the seat right now).

If you really want him gone, then you should vote for his challenger in the primary. A recall is absurd and counterproductive.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Faulconer, he seems fairly liberal as far as Republicans go (pro-choice, pro-LGBT) which could win over some people who are fed up enough - he could be a problem for Newsom. Then again, Faulconer's covid response in San Diego hasn't been the greatest either.

I'd rather Newsom be primaried - I will blame a lot of factors on California's terrible response, but Newsom is up there. Especially with that French Laundry bullshit. Really gutted by him overall - I understand that it's a difficult position to be in and nothing can be perfect. But I feel like if Jerry Brown was still governor, he'd have this shit more under control.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I blame the waffling, he should have stuck to his guns. Every governor that did saw a boost in approval

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow newsom has managed to piss off both sides for different reasons
shoulda just picked a side and whole-assed it. trying to make everyone happy with his half assed waffling response has just made no one happy and trainwrecked california's coronavirus response after a promising start
im not signing this shit as in my anecdotal experience it's largely driven by angry republicans who were mad he even attempted to contain coronavirus (fuck em), and this aint gonna accomplish shit anyway
and california definitely doesnt need any more republicans
he gets more shit than he probably deserves but it's true that pretty much nobody is very happy with him

Last edited:

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
Waste of time and money. Bruce Faulconer can f right off. Frankly I don't feel like the shut down went far enough. People largely ignored it anyway which greatly exacerbated things. Newsome hasn't been perfect, but he's not the problem with the state.
It's Kevin Faulconer, Bruce Faulconer is the guy that did the music for the Dragonball Z dub haha

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Somehow newsom has managed to piss off both sides for different reasons
shoulda just picked a side and whole-assed it. trying to make everyone happy with his half assed waffling response has just made no one happy and trainwrecked california's coronavirus response
im not signing this shit as in my anecdotal experience it's largely driven by angry republicans who were mad he even attempted to contain coronavirus, and this aint gonna accomplish shit
but it's true that pretty much nobody is very happy with him

It's really fucking stupid IMO. More so a reflection of people being pissed off they can't do as they please during a pandemic, than a good faith judgement of Newsom's handling of the pandemic.

No doubt that not leading by example was a major blunder when it came to the French Laundry bullshit, since it gave bad faith actors a legitimate angle through which to attack him from. But I can't really fault Newsom for opening in the Summer in the face of a federal government that not only doesn't provide support, but is intentionally vindictive towards you, on top of the fact that other states were forcing their economies open and regional governments within his own state were basically telling him to fuck off with respect to abiding by State orders. Due to the size and density of the state of California, bad faith actors, and an inability to keep a state closed indefinitely in the presence of zero federal assistance - California was going to inevitably be fucked regardless of who was at the steering wheel. California as a whole felt insulated from Covid until November with respect to its population size, which was a testament of good leadership through that point. It broke down following Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years - in the same way it has done in most US states.

The awful vaccine rollout is directly related to the fact that the state's medical system as a whole is taxed due to the insane increases in cases, hospitalizations and deaths that coincided with the availability of the vaccines.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Looking at Faulconer, he seems fairly liberal as far as Republicans go (pro-choice, pro-LGBT) which could win over some people who are fed up enough - he could be a problem for Newsom. Then again, Faulconer's covid response in San Diego hasn't been the greatest either.

I'd rather Newsom be primaried - I will blame a lot of factors on California's terrible response, but Newsom is up there. Especially with that French Laundry bullshit. Really gutted by him overall - I understand that it's a difficult position to be in and nothing can be perfect. But I feel like if Jerry Brown was still governor, he'd have this shit more under control.

Faulconer has done NOTHING on Covid response. He's stepped completely out of the way, hoping that the blame will be assigned elsewhere.

In fact, that's been his strategy for his entire political career. He already has his own personal shot at pandemic response, with the Hepatitis-C outbreak in 2017, and he abysmally failed that test. If we're basing the recall on outbreak response and management (and presumably we are, as that's what Newsome is being criticized for) then it's outright laughable that Faulconer is the one leading the recall and looking to get elected.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Good article on why LA had crazy surges:
Lets blame the stupidity of Californians on one guy instead of looking in the mirror of our own stupidity.
While I do agree here, LA's COVID-19 has a lot to do with cramped living conditions. They're worse than even NYC, which is nuts.

California, needs way better zoning. And way more multifamily units.

www.nytimes.com

‘We Are Forced to Live in These Conditions’: In Los Angeles, Virus Ravages Overcrowded Homes (Published 2021)

Perhaps nowhere else in America can the unequal toll of the virus be felt more dramatically. Suburban sprawl and freeways demarcate the neighborhoods of the haves and the have-nots.

Los Angeles may not have the population density of New York, may not have as many skyscrapers or high-rise apartment buildings or jam-packed subways, but the county does have a higher percentage of overcrowded homes — 11 percent, according to the U.S. Census Bureau — than any other major metropolitan area in America.

Overcrowded housing is defined as more than one person per room, excluding bathrooms. If you drive across the vastness of Los Angeles County, starting at the ocean and going east, the shifting landscape tells the story of the housing inequality that has fueled the virus surge. Mansions give way to smaller, single-family homes, and finally to the immigrant areas like where Ms. Rivera, who moved here from El Salvador almost 40 years ago, lives, six people in a tiny one-bedroom. In some areas, like Westlake, where street vendors line the sidewalks near MacArthur Park, close to 40 percent of homes are considered overcrowded.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know plenty of people pissed off at Newsom, but this feels like a waste of time and resources.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
CA leadership has basically taken a massive dump on itself through this pandemic. I completely understand why they're so bound by the fact that we basically got shit for federal aid through the heaviest parts of the pandemic vs small businesses getting the ever living shit kicked out of them, but all the same the messaging has been fucking atrocious. CA legislature as a whole let us down tremendously last session, it's a fucking embarrassment, it's not even just Newsom here, but a lot of the established party basically doing terrible things and seemingly letting itself open up to even humoring a republican threat. If Newsom gets primaried, it won't be any sweat of my brow, but a GOP gov taking over would be a fault of CA dems as a whole. I'd pray it doesn't happen but Jesus we're squandering good will left and right.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
Faulconer has done NOTHING on Covid response. He's stepped completely out of the way, hoping that the blame will be assigned elsewhere.

In fact, that's been his strategy for his entire political career. He already has his own personal shot at pandemic response, with the Hepatitis-C outbreak in 2017, and he abysmally failed that test. If we're basing the recall on outbreak response and management (and presumably we are, as that's what Newsome is being criticized for) then it's outright laughable that Faulconer is the one leading the recall and looking to get elected.
Yeah I saw that as I was doing some research - either way, it wasn't that long ago that California last had a Republican governor. If Newsom is facing dissatisfaction on both sides of the aisle, that could be a real problem. California obviously wouldn't elect a Trump-like Republican, but a socially-liberal conservative could still be possible.

If the recall goes through, then obviously Newsom is in a shitload of trouble because of the recency (i.e. now-ness) of the pandemic. If things have calmed down by 2022, then he will most likely be in a better position.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Try getting the crazies in SoCal to do anything.

His re-election is already next year, and the recall effort means you'd be choosing a Republican to fill the seat (because there doesn't seem to be any Democratic interest in stepping into the seat right now).

If you really want him gone, then you should vote for his challenger in the primary. A recall is absurd and counterproductive.

Great take here. Republicans are trying to gin up this bullshit because they know they have no shot in the actual election. The craziness of the recall process is the only chance they have of sneaking a candidate in.

Looking at the red areas of the state, with at best their refusal to acknowledge the pandemic, and more commonly, their militant resistance to any pandemic abatement measures, it's just insane to place blame entirely on Newsom.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
His approval rating would be pretty good if we can just saw off SoCal, and set them adrift.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Some on Era dramatic as always. "HORRIFIC JOB!" "REPLACE HIM!"

Always with the extremes.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
His approval rating would be pretty good if we can just saw off SoCal, and set them adrift.
Nah we got the Central Valley to deal with too. I know all about it from my in laws who basically refused to take this all seriously, somehow never got the virus and are getting vaccinated this weekend. No lessons learned except "Democrats want to shut everything down to ruin the economy"

Nov 7, 2017
Recalling him is dumb because who is going to replace him? Certainly don't want this Faulconer guy anywhere near the governorship.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I like how it's 'SoCal crazies' and not just specific counties absolutely fucking us as a whole.
I'd like to put forward that adjusted for population my county is one leading infections (Ventura County) and the majority of us are poorer/ working class latinos who have been working in person since the start of the pandemic so the rest of the state can eat shit. I'm out here watching farmhand laborers basically falling ill where they stand in the fields due to a lack of care and aid. We donated the entirety of our PPE at the start of the pandemic to local farms because of how little people gave a shit. People saying a lot of the infections down here are 'just because' are off their rocker, people had to work, specifically poorer sections that had no choice. It all falls back to a lack of federal and state aid, we're dead in the water without a safety net and the massive population set us up for failure from the jump.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
This entire effort is idiotic because the election is next year. It's literally just Republicans trying to strike while the pan is hot.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
He was not consistent with his handling of the pandemic and this is a problem. It led to California becoming the center of the pandemic for the winter and that is not something we should be ok with.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
This is more about the last president not having a fucking plan of action and letting the states do whatever.
Newson is fine.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Nah we got the Central Valley to deal with too. I know all about it from my in laws who basically refused to take this all seriously, somehow never got the virus and are getting vaccinated this weekend. No lessons learned except "Democrats want to shut everything down to ruin the economy"
There's not as many people there, which is why it's okay for them to stay.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
How exactly does this work?

If the recall passes is he immediately removed? I assume there is a new general election afterwards.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Considering that they were given a 6 month extension because of COVID, I'm a little skeptical they will make it to 1.5m signatures. Although since money is being thrown at the effort now maybe they will.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Good article on why LA had crazy surges:

While I do agree here, LA's COVID-19 has a lot to do with cramped living conditions. They're worse than even NYC, which is nuts.

California, needs way better zoning. And way more multifamily units.

www.nytimes.com

‘We Are Forced to Live in These Conditions’: In Los Angeles, Virus Ravages Overcrowded Homes (Published 2021)

Perhaps nowhere else in America can the unequal toll of the virus be felt more dramatically. Suburban sprawl and freeways demarcate the neighborhoods of the haves and the have-nots.

It's exceedingly expensive and it doesn't help that we have a state legislature that refuses to even allow zoning changes from the top down.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
I like how it's 'SoCal crazies' and not just specific counties absolutely fucking us as a whole.
I'd like to put forward that adjusted for population my county is one leading infections (Ventura County) and the majority of us are poorer/ working class latinos who have been working in person since the start of the pandemic so the rest of the state can eat shit. I'm out here watching farmhand laborers basically falling ill where they stand in the fields due to a lack of care and aid. We donated the entirety of our PPE at the start of the pandemic to local farms because of how little people gave a shit. People saying a lot of the infections down here are 'just because' are off their rocker, people had to work, specifically poorer sections that had no choice. It all falls back to a lack of federal and state aid, we're dead in the water without a safety net and the massive population set us up for failure from the jump.

Jumping in from a county over to agree with all of this. It's really frustrating when people can't connect the dots when it should be very clear if you're living here.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Nearly 10m more people living in southern CA if you cut across the middle bruh.

Also there's a world of difference between say San Luis Obispo vs say Orange County if you're talking about Southern CA.
Might as well call them different states if you look at both counties, entirely different economic drivers and demographics. Yet the concentration of problems still focuses on one singular segment of the population, poorer, working class people of color who live together in multi family units. We don't want to live like this, it's just the reality you face in the state that won't bend to anyone but rich nimbys. Going ah man, those rich folks parading around huntington beach are the problem, while you ignore the folks breaking their backs during the day and killing their families at night unintentionally.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Except Newsom is actually awful

Then who is considered "not awful"? Who's considered "average", who's considered "good", who's considered "great"?

And if Newsom is awful.. then what the hell does that make people below him? Or does it not go much further lower than awful?