• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
I loved C&C generals and the expansion as a kid. I loved the interplay between the three completely unique factions, from the massive tank armies China can swarm you with or how dominant you could be with mass air using the USA. The expansion provided even more depth since it essentially divided the factions into tons commanders you select which fit your playstyles. The destruction and physics you saw in the game was also mindblowing for its day and age and made most PC's crawl during the endgame from what I remember. TBH I was really let down when EA canceled the F2P Generals project they had brewing a couple of years ago, and livid that they ultimately brought it back as this....

I would love to see EA bring back the franchise! I know the remaster for Red Alert is slowly shaping up so here's hoping they can maybe do something with the Generals franchise in the near future.

Sidenote: Do you guys think the idea of a sequel would fly in today's political climate? The GLA's portrayal of the Taliban/al Qaeda is one thing but I remember the portrayal of China as this over the top nationalistic behemoth which I think wouldn't resonate well given recent events.

May 25, 2019
London
I believe BioWare was making a C&C Generals 2 a few years ago but I believe it eventually ran into development issues, morphed into a F2P title, then got outright cancelled

It's a shame, it was a nice off-shoot of C&C that blended RTS with general powers that mimicked Advance Wars COs

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Voice lines and their delivery in this game is GOAT. It's very reminiscent of old school Blizzard games. It sticks in your head in a good way.

The art direction is also underrated, I think the game still looks good if you don't zoom in. The general impression is very good and vibrant looking. The fire and smoke effects hold up very well. Back then the game was very demanding. It was certainly ahead of the curve.

DoublePayje

Oct 29, 2017
One of the last big titles of the realtime strategy era and still infamous for being one of the last heavily censored titles before authorities allowed the release in Germany. Loved the game, hated the crazy cuts.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will never forget the game I played against a mate where, I must have built at least 30 stinger sites knowing he was the air force general, and low and behold he attacked with 50ish helicopters. The absolutely carnage.

Think that one ended in a stalemate.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Different than other C&C's? Sure, but it was still good fun.

I highly recommend the Shockwave mod.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
10 min no rush only plz

I remember beating a guy and he started spamming me saying he'd hack my computer all because I used aurora's. Good times.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
I still occasionally play. I still love the hell out of it. I play all fractions depending on my mood.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
dumping a tunnel behind enemy lines and getting your entire GLA force at the back of their base was never not amazing

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but I think Zero Hour had a single-player mode where you'd pick a general, and then had to run a gauntlet of all the other generals in 1v1 AI fights, each with their own special map in addition to their usual powers. I loved that mode and I don't think I've ever played anything like it in RTS games.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember not caring for the campaign, but damn did I play those skirmishes. I was surprised how much I liked them.

I haven't played Zero Hour though, despite owning it. I was confused by the "choose your general" mechanic; it felt like I wouldn't have access to the integrality of a faction's units. Maybe I was wrong.

Nov 8, 2017
I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but I think Zero Hour had a single-player mode where you'd pick a general, and then had to run a gauntlet of all the other generals in 1v1 AI fights, each with their own special map in addition to their usual powers. I loved that mode and I don't think I've ever played anything like it in RTS games.

Yes, it was great fun lol.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i just loved that silly intro

IN THE MODERN WORLD, GREAT LEADERS RESOLVE THEIR CONFLICTS WITH WORDS....WORDS LIKE
SCUD LAUNCHER
CARPET BOMBING
TOMAHAWK MISSILES

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Ak-47s for everone!!

Okay, okay I will work...

Man I loved this game back in the day. The lack of FMV and the like kinda made the campaign unmemorable but I enjoyed the hell outta skirmish mode.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
This was the best C&C game. I played the shit out of it when I was in my early 20s. I would love a remake, but I can't see it happening in today's political climate.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing C&C Generals Zero Hour and the third mission in the chinese campaign took place in a small german town I lived in. I was curious how the game managed to find my location and was wondering if you can read it from some Windows configuration. Nope. Turns out the devs randomly chose this town.

Also all portraits and ingame models were stupid and funny at the same time in germany because everyone turned into a cyborg.
The terrorist unit even turned into an explosive barrel on wheels.
4882cfd360fad8fca0b05bce8cf6e1d1.jpg

7368f483f8ba70381b69d6ed02a21184.jpg

Last edited:

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
This was the best C&C game. I played the shit out of it when I was in my early 20s. I would love a remake, but I can't see it happening in today's political climate.
Yeah definitely not, not with the way the GLA and China are portrayed. A friend and I still to this day jokingly quote to each other with terrible accents "China has been generous. We will grow larger"

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the gameplay is tight but i missed the cheesy stories of proper C&C and red alert..

the marketing tagline is pretty dope though.

"In the modern world... great leaders resolve their conflicts... with words. Words like: Scud Launcher. Carpet Bombing. Tomahawk Missile."

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I believe BioWare was making a C&C Generals 2 a few years ago but I believe it eventually ran into development issues, morphed into a F2P title, then got outright cancelled

It's a shame, it was a nice off-shoot of C&C that blended RTS with general powers that mimicked Advance Wars COs

I worked on C&C (Generals 2) for two years. "BioWare" was never developing C&C Generals 2. The studio who was developing it, Victory Games, was briefly rebranded as BioWare Victory (alongside "BioWare" Mythic) around the time of the announcement on the VGAs. Victory Games was a new studio led by Jon Van Caneghem, though it was staffed by a lot of the legacy EALA RTS team and a new engineering team in Austin. It was a difficult project and had substantial challenges on a number of fronts but not insurmountable ones. I think our vertical slice of the game as a General sequel was great and would have been well received by fans. Our finals builds of the more multiplayer focused C&C were also very good and trending in a nice direction.

God I wish this happened. Damnit EA.

Yeah I do too, though I don't much blame EA. I don't know that a traditional RTS is a smart investment at the AAA scale. I doubt a full accounting of the production and marketing budget of SC2 would justify its development much less C&C. I think what EA is doing with C&C Remaster is awesome and I hope translates to more interest in the franchise.

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
I had a bunch of fun playing this over LAN with my friends in high school. It's the only game in the series I've played.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best C&C and I still play it with the wife.

I wished that Petroglyph games was also remastering this series as well.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Yes this was my favourite and one of the last RTS games I player (Starcraft II was the actual last). I loved using the GLA because of the funny voices and how quick and easy it was to deploy those technicals which were super versatile. Also loved their anthrax bomb lol. The chinese also had those mad mammoth tanks that you could load up with troops. My PC would die everytime a nuke was launched thou.

Sep 15, 2019
Command and Conquer: Generals along with Counter-Strike were the bane of my high school's IT department's existence.

Myself and a few friends installed cracked versions on the school's network so we could play anywhere using the school's LAN to play against each other no matter where we were in the school. A few of us had a free period after lunch and one of the Auto-Cad teachers let us use his classroom to game during that time.

If anyone ever left a computer unattended and one of us happened upon it we'd use it to install another version somewhere on the network so they could never find them all and purge them from the network. When one install was found two more took its place and they never realized they were chasing two different games since we always titled all installs "CS-1.6" or something like that then used a Word icon instead of the standard to make it all the harder to find.

So many classes I didn't pay attention to because I was had a match of Generals going on and simply didn't care what we were covering in Visual Basic or some class like that.