• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
byuu.org

Farewell

Hopefully he comes back at some point, but he's done more than enough for the cause of emulation - to be honest I can't think of anyone offhand who's done more, not just in his push for emulator accuracy but his preservation efforts as well, and his role in changing the way people think about emulation. I've been following his work for over 15 years, and if this is the end for byuu, it's certainly a well deserved retirement.

For those who don't know who Byuu is, he is a console emulation author best known for BSNES, a SNES emulator. Before he started work on BSNES in 2004, snes emulation was vastly inaccurate. You can look at SNES9X 1.43 or ZSNES 1.40 if you want to see what they were like (assuming they still run). Byuu decided to make an accuracy focused emulator. That itself was very rare back then, as many emu authors concentrated on getting games working, and you ended up with a lot of black boxes, high level code which kind of worked, but the authors didn't know why because they didn't actually know what the original snes was doing to achieve the end result.

Byuu focused on accuracy, and the result at first was a very slow emulator that only those with high end machines could play. Many people who frequented emulator forums back then were used to emulators that would run on toasters, and disdained bsnes and often slung very rude comments Byuu's way. That state of affairs would continue for many years - the emulation scene was a very different place back then (not that he doesn't still get a lot of mud unfairly slung his way).

But Byuu persevered, and had help from some very talented people along the way. He also managed to find someone willing to decap many of the snes chips at a reduced rate (who amusing called himseld "dr decap"), which was a VERY expensive process. It was expensive even with the mates rates, but byuu got the money together (including a lot of his own), got the chips decapped and with that knowledge made bsnes even better.

Today, Bsnes has a compatibility of 100%, with no known bugs over the ENTIRE snes library. For years he has also helped the snes9x devs port improvements back there, which in some ways takes him back full circle to the days he was asking matthew kendora (then snes9x lead developer) questions on the old snes9x boards before he started bsnes.

He has also been a big proponent of preservation, and bought the entire catalogue of the JP and US snes library so he could dump them himself and make sure we had good dumps for every game. Some he'd buy more then once to find revisions of the same game (devs would sometimes reissue a game if there was a particularly nasty bug etc), and work with others to get to dump the EU library.

He's also done various other things, such as cocreate libsnes, which retroarch was based off, and bps, a much safer to use patching standard than ips.

Byuu has also written articles on both emulation accuracy and preservation, and these combined with his own work on both and passionate opinions has helped to move the emulation scene to a point where accuracy and preservation are considered essential.

Last edited:

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Godspeed. I have the utmost respect for what he brought to the scene.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, he's certainly done his share of the work. Bsnes has seen some really incredible stuff added over the past few years.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Could anyone please talk a bit about who he is or what he's done for the emulation scene?

The quickest way to summarize his work is accuracy. There have been many functional emulators that play games pretty dang well but were not representative of the original work. Sound, graphics, things you would never notice unless you were sat next to the original on SNES. But everyone was so focused on getting emulators to run on damn near everything. Byuu threw that all out and took advantage of what a PC could really do. Many rolled their eyes at the original works for being too hardware intensive but in the era before FPGAs, his work was the gold standard. Still is in many respects.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That's sad to hear, but it sounds like he really needs this hiatus.
Not sure what is the drama he's talking about, but hopefully it'll be better when he comes back.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The fella has paid his dues and then some for the emulation scene. Best of luck to him.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Could anyone please talk a bit about who he is or what he's done for the emulation scene?

Before he started work on BSNES, snes emulation was vastly inaccurate. You can look at SNES9X 1.43 or ZSNES 1.40 if you want to see what they were like (assuming they still run). Byuu decided to make an accuracy focused emulator. That itself was very rare back then, as many emu authors concentrated on getting games working, and you ended up with a lot of black boxes, high level code which kind of worked, but the authors didn't know why because they didn't actually know what they original snes was doing to achieve the end result.

Byuu focused on accuracy, and the result at first was a very slow emulator that only those with high end machines could play. Many people who frequented emulator forums back then were used to emulators that would run on toasters, and disdained bsnes and often slung very rude comments Byuu's way. That state of affairs would continue for many years - the emulation scene was a very different place back then (not that he doesn't still get a lot of mud unfairly slung his way).

But Byuu persevered, and had help from some very talented people along the way. He also managed to find someone willing to decap many of the snes chips at a reduced rate (who amusing called himseld "dr decap"), which was a VERY expensive process. It was expensive even with the mates rates, but byuu got the money together (including a lot of his own), got the chips decapped and with that knowledge made bsnes even better.

Today, Bsnes has a compatibility of 100%, with no known bugs over the ENTIRE snes library. For years he has also helped the snes9x devs port improvements back there, which in some ways takes him back full circle to the days he was asking matthew kendora questions on the old snes9x boards before he started bsnes.

He has also been a big proponent of preservation, and bought the entire catalogue of the JP and US snes library so he could dump them himself and make sure we had good dumps for every game. Some he'd buy more then once to find revisions of the same game (devs would sometimes reissue a game if there was a particularly nasty bug etc), and work with others to get to dump the EU library.

He's also done various other things, such as cocreate libsnes, which retroarch was based off, and bps, a much safer to use patching standard than ips.

Byuu has also written articles on both emulation accuracy and preservation, and these combined with his own work on both and passionate opinions has helped to move the emulation scene to a point where accuracy and preservation are considered essential.

That's sad to hear, but it sounds like he really needs this hiatus.
Not sure what is the drama he's talking about, but hopefully it'll be better when he comes back.

Yeah. Hopefully it's not that turdburger retroarch lead developer again.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Topic title doesn't reflect the text:
"Perhaps in a few months with my disengagement with emulator development, I'll be able to participate online again as byuu. And if things really improve for the better, maybe I can even contribute upstream to the new group projects. Maybe consider this more of a hiatus than a retirement. You never know. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've thrown in the towel, only to return again later."

Deleted member 39353

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 1, 2018
The problem is that the internet is not like any other time in human history: everything we ever say and do gets recorded and indexed, all readily available to anyone curious, for all of time. This is new, and it's something that society has not really adapted to yet. I think we will reach that point in a generation or two. But right now, it seems impossible to be forgiven for our past mistakes. They all add up and weigh us down like an albatross around our necks. Stay around on the internet long enough, and it will eventually crush even the best of us.

But people change. I'm embarrassed myself seeing how I've acted in the past. I don't stand behind much of my old writing, some of it literally decades old now. I've been online since I was a teenager; obviously not everything has aged well. You don't have to forget the past, but you have to be willing to give people second chances in life.

This is something I think about a lot on the internet as a whole. Clearly, there needs to be some sort of societal norm for how people are forgiven when you can see what they said for all of eternity, but we're not even close to there yet.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Topic title doesn't reflect the text:
"Perhaps in a few months with my disengagement with emulator development, I'll be able to participate online again as byuu. And if things really improve for the better, maybe I can even contribute upstream to the new group projects. Maybe consider this more of a hiatus than a retirement. You never know. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've thrown in the towel, only to return again later."

Would be nice if true, but when he went on hiatus before, it was sudden. however this time he's been talking about this for about half a year, so it feels to me that he may be pretty much done. Would love & prefer to be wrong.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
BSNES will now be maintained here:
github.com

bsnes

bsnes has one repository available. Follow their code on GitHub.
And Higan here:
github.com

higan

higan has 9 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.

I'm curious as to who Byuu chose to maintain the projects, but that info seems to be private. I guess we'll see over time.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who used to speedrun, albeit not SNES games, accuracy in emulation is a very important factor. If you want to compare your emulation speedruns to runs done on console emulation accuracy is needed. So thanks for all the contributions.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Byuu did an incredible job I massively benefit from, and will never be able to repay. And I fully agree with the accuracy in emulation angle.

Godspeed, Byuu.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's just a hiatus as despite being a hardware purist this stuff only lasts so long and I know one day I'll depend on his work to play my favourite games.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He's done amazing work. Hopefully his successors are just as successful and others are inspired to rush and do the same for more recent consoles.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
He's done amazing work. Hopefully his successors are just as successful and others are inspired to rush and do the same for more recent consoles.

I wonder how possible it will be. I think if companies had kept to custom processors it'd be impossible since there's been such a slowdown in annual cpu improvements, but given how close the current and next gen are to off the shelf, maybe that'll help?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how possible it will be. I think if companies had kept to custom processors it'd be impossible since there's been such a slowdown in annual cpu improvements, but given how close the current and next gen are to off the shelf, maybe that'll help?
Probably. I think a few of the emulators are aiming for virtualization like Wine versus 1:1 emulation, so that might help in getting things up and running short term.

But what do I know, I'm just on the sidelines.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
So, he's not ENTIRELY out. Byuu wrote a lengthy piece at Ars Technica today pleading for more community involvement, which we were proud to edit and publish. It includes this tidbit questioning exactly what his "retirement" status is:

I can tell you why this is important to me: it's my life's work, and I don't want to have to say I came this close to finishing without getting the last piece of it right. I'm getting older, and I won't be around forever. I want this final piece solved so that I can feel confident in my retirement that the SNES has been faithfully and completely preserved through emulation. No stone was left unturned, no area left unfinished. I want to say that it's done.

arstechnica.com

How SNES emulators got a few pixels from complete perfection

From the archives: Revisit the work of a classic gaming emulation titan who died this week.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
So, he's not ENTIRELY out. Byuu wrote a lengthy piece at Ars Technica today pleading for more community involvement, which we were proud to edit and publish. It includes this tidbit questioning exactly what his "retirement" status is:

arstechnica.com

From the archives: Revisit the work of a classic gaming emulation titan who died this week.

Byuu still wants that PPU finality huh. Though from the (excellent) article it sounds like he's gone as far as he can on his own with it. Hope someone can help.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Let him rest, stay away for a while and he might just come back, respect for this guy.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

arstechnica.com

Just found out this was written in February, so I guess this was more his last wish (for now) then a return of sorts.

I guess he'll come back to code it if someone else manages to get the timings.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

arstechnica.com

Glad to hear this. He's definitely one of the most important figures in the emulation scene. I would have never imagined emulation could reach such a point until BSNES

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this, if he retires or not, he has my biggest respect for what he's done, the emulation-scene as a whole has much to thank him for.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't say he retired, he said he's really tired.

So he took a nap, woke up, changed his name, and blopped out a new emulator before most people noticed he even left to take a nap.

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of the year, an anonymous individual went through who I followed and made a list of emulator developers.
They then made a dox list of their names, photos, addresses, etc, along with some grotesque commentary about each of them.
I know they used my following list because it included the names of very obscure developers who never released anything.
And more telling, it omitted the names of prominent developers that I didn't follow. This was targeted at me.
What an absolute piece of shit. Why would you do something so malicious? Hope justice is served to the asshole.

Much respect to byuu and hope he finds peace, and continues to be celebrated for his achievements to the scene.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017

Aww, I don't follow what goes on behind the scenes, I'm just and end user, yet a big admirer of byuu. I can't fault him for wanting to leave it all based on that story.
I know he made a post a while back about his health and wanting to quit. So whatever his decision he has my support, he's got to do what's right for him. Just stay happy, healthy and take care.

thebullfrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that sucks. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to hold vendettas against people on the internet over...nothing. Why attack someone in such an underhanded way like that?

I sincerely hope at some point Byuu makes some kind of return, even if its secretly under a new identity and we never know about it. The guy has done more for game preservation than anyone, pushed for accurate emulation in a way nobody else ever cared to, and genuinely cared for making sure games and gaming history would have the best chance to be safe from the ravages of time, not just trying to promote piracy. He, and his contributions, will be missed.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that sucks. I'll never understand why some people feel the need to hold vendettas against people on the internet over...nothing. Why attack someone in such an underhanded way like that?

I sincerely hope at some point Byuu makes some kind of return, even if its secretly under a new identity and we never know about it. The guy has done more for game preservation than anyone, pushed for accurate emulation in a way nobody else ever cared to, and genuinely cared for making sure games and gaming history would have the best chance to be safe from the ravages of time, not just trying to promote piracy. He, and his contributions, will be missed.

If I had to guess these people have a irrational "Emulation = Piracy, companies are always right!" mentality and with this individual this mentality might have turned into hatred against people who make emulation possible. My respects to Byuu once again and whatever they do in life, I hope they can be happy :)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
People fucking suck, hope Byuu's talents can be used to great impact in other areas in the future.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Give thanks to this man!

He's made such a impact to the emulation scene - dude is a legend, just like Dark_Alex from the PSP scene.