• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of what I assumed from your arguments here. The $400 will help you through the next couple months.

No. We need the $600, which we already know is helping most people not become homeless. Not just some.

It's a reasonable position to have. No need to condescend. This exact sort of situation is what makes these things tricky, and why many people settle for good but not great because it's more accessible.

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
Paging all constitutional attorneys of era to please come help us out here since the media can't!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Democrats, no matter what they do, won't get the blame for the economy crashing. Trump isn't actually doing anything here, besides giving maybe some people $300, but even that's in jeopardy if any random organization or state decides to sue Trump for not having the authority to raid a disaster relief fund.
It's gonna happen before that. Trump doesn't have the authority to stop evictions and landlords are not about to not evict a non-paying resident if they don't have to.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's a reasonable position to have. No need to condescend. This exact sort of situation is what makes these things tricky, and why many people settle for good but not great because it's more accessible.

I don't agree that it's a reasonable position to have. We need to think of the many in a time like this, not the few.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
See I don't think it really will hurt Republicans all that much. Their spin machine is fantastic and the media continues to give Trump his rally airtime.

That and the $1200 was an easy agreement for both sides and will just evaporate.

But you're right, democrats actually care about people that is the thing.

on the bright side, the 1200 is the easiest (and fastest method of support) to agree upon moving forward with whatever the bill looks like now. regardless of what Mitch may say about the trumps usual chaos, this wasn't a win for any of them in a right race.

the bill has more to it that both sides agree on in some structure... including the direct checks, PPP for small biz, testing/hospital $, school aid, childcare and whatever number of state aid they've been throwing around even if its nowhere near the amount the dems wanted.

overall the EO story is a mess waiting to happen for trump, the UI idea would take weeks to put into action, no one would get money anytime soon and it relies on states to work with a program that already moves at a snails pace in many cases... and thats entertaining it being allowed to happen, how states would work with it in the first place. hes setting himself up for a mess when many are looking for help ASAP.

the one EO he did sign dosent even do anything to halt evictions, its all fluff and when the receipts don't add up he'll look like a naked emperor again.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't agree that it's a reasonable position to have. We need to think of the many in a time like this, not the few.
Do we have data that most of the people laid off right now are making around $3000 a month? Arizona pays about $200 a week plus the $600. In my experience most people laid off are people in the service industry that make way less than that but maybe I'm wrong.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I know he didn't do this on purpose. He thought he actually could do it.

But this is setting up a very good optical argument that "I tried, that NASY PELOSI is the reason you aren't getting your money."

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Do we have data that most of the people laid off right now are making around $3000 a month? Arizona pays about $200 a week plus the $600. In my experience most people laid off are people in the service industry that make way less than that but maybe I'm wrong.
Can't use Arizona as a baseline since we literally have the lowest unemployment assistance in the country. It's atrocious.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
So is the congressional month break starting August 10th still on,. or are they cancelling it to try to get something done?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Can't use Arizona as a baseline since we literally have the lowest unemployment assistance in the country. It's atrocious.
Well that's true, but even still, $3000 a month seems minimum and outside of like costal cities I'd think most people are not making over $3000 a month. The argument put forward by that poster is that $600 a week plus whatever the state pays is not enough for most laid off.

And again, I'm not arguing that $3000 a month or even a little more is a lot of money. I'm arguing that people need money NOW to survive. And $2000 a month or close to it should work wonders for a lot of people in emergency status.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Paging all constitutional attorneys of era to please come help us out here since the media can't!
States will likely have standing to sue due to the $100 required of them, though it is unlikely the current Supreme Court will side against the president due to the current makeup. They will likely say states don't have to kick in the $100 but they won't stop the $300. Congress will do nothing because Republicans have abdicated their power to the president.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
States will likely have standing to sue due to the $100 required of them, though it is unlikely the current Supreme Court will side against the president due to the current makeup. They will likely say states don't have to kick in the $100 but they won't stop the $300. Congress will do nothing because Republicans have abdicated their power to the president.

They should just cede their authority and make their dear leader a dictator at this point. There are countless former members of Congress rolling in their graves right now.

This is absolutely DISGUSTING. I fucking loathe Republicans.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is this it? Will the Senate even bother to figure this out before the election now? Or are they going to take their vacation and let the courts figure it out?

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
States will likely have standing to sue due to the $100 required of them, though it is unlikely the current Supreme Court will side against the president due to the current makeup.
I think the court will side with him less because of makeup and more because the Roberts court has shown preference to a loose use of executive orders (DACA, Obama's discretion on ACA taxes, etc).

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
The GOP senators are probably applauding this because it saves them from doing any actual work, as they have proven time and time that they are unable to govern.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok, so you all need to be made very clear how incredibly fucked up the payroll tax deferral portion of this all is. The average citizen is completely FUCKED, assuming this holds.

- If Trump loses, Americans will have to pay back THREE MONTHS of payroll tax deferrals next year. During a PANDEMIC and historic RECESSION.
- If Trump wins and makes the cuts permanent, as he's claiming, The GOP just DESTROYED both Social Security and Medicare. They will no longer be properly funded and will collapse (and how the fuck is it legal for a President to withhold taxes, then claim he won't make you pay them back, so long as you re-elect him???....this is so beyond fucked).

This is un-fucking-believable. It's time for a revolution. Your government HATES you.

Nov 2, 2017
No, he doesn't. Cutting the payroll tax would destroy both Social Security & Medicare.

Eh, yes and no. Cutting the payroll tax really wouldn't inherently do anything to the program by itself, it's just a perilous issue politically because the separation of funding is effectively a safeguard protecting social security and medicare from the liberal "bUt hoW dO we PaY foR iT?" crowd.

It doesn't matter if you're funding SS & Medicare from general revenues or the current trust funds, the trust funds are mostly there to say "from the trust fund" when someone asks the aforementioned question. The federal government operates in a currency it controls and thus there wouldn't be any actual risk to the continued operation of those programs if they had to be operated without the segmentation, moving it just allows us to dodge some political fights we've thankfully been able to avoid.

In a roundabout way, yes, it imperils the programs, but it imperils the programs not because they can't operate, but because it makes them more susceptible to politicians looking to destroy the programs.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Is he gonna executive order a $1200 stimulus? Because this we are just gonna have to pay back

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I think the court will side with him less because of makeup and more because the Roberts court has shown preference to a loose use of executive orders (DACA, Obama's discretion on ACA taxes, etc).

nah. Aca taxes at least had congressional legislation backing. The only workable part of this without congressional approval is the payroll tax deferment. It's a deferment because the president can't remove the payroll tax unilaterally. However, the president has the power to decide which regulations he wants to enforce to a large degree so he can instruct the irs as a federal agency not to collect.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to opt out of that tax deferment? I don't want to forget about it and not have it to pay back next April. I don't need it, anyway.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Oh no, Trump's $400 is baseless, right now the current argument is about if Congress eventually compromises with $400 in a bill.
Not necessarily compromise, but agree to work on what's called skinny bills, which wouldn't include the voter items etc. It would just be evictions, unemployment, 1200 dollar checks. Those are things most in both parties want. By going hardline, they're making a stand, but a lot of innocent people who support them will be hurt by it. You're not wrong to feel how you do.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

I'm looking at the economic studies of the impact of the $600 and basing my argument on that.

And I'm telling you that people wanting 400 right now so they don't starve is not unreasonable just because there is a possibility to have more. Dismissing those positions simply because you feel there is a better solution is as short sighted as the people settling.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Deferred payment seems like a big catch 22. If you need that money, you're gonna spend that money, then you're not gonna be able to pay it back.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly feel like I'd be better off being unemployed then working. Everyone seems to only be focused on unemployed people getting an unemployment check plus extra while working people having to deal with all this shit gets nothing.
What about this situation we are in, in which unemployed people are currently getting nothing and may not get anything for the foreseeable future, makes you think being unemployed is better than being employed right now? What you've said makes no sense given the current circumstances.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I even wonder if the $400 will show up. And if it does, when?

People needed this weeks ago, and they still cut it down.

Nov 2, 2017
Is there a way to opt out of that tax deferment? I don't want to forget about it and not have it to pay back next April. I don't need it, anyway.

I'd say there's a decent chance you're not going to see it anyway. Many companies aren't going to turn on a dime to passthrough the extra funds, and half the payroll tax comes out of the employer's pocket.

It seems very possible that a lot of companies don't adjust their employees' payroll tax deductions, the company just sits on that money until later.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

It was already reported a few weeks ago that switching from $600 to any other number would likely take unemployment around a month to implement according to the experts.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say there's a decent chance you're not going to see it anyway. Many companies aren't going to turn on a dime to passthrough the extra funds, and half the payroll tax comes out of the employer's pocket.

It seems very possible that a lot of companies don't adjust their employees' payroll tax deductions, the company just sits on that money until later.

If it does, I'll be sure to put it away and not touch it. I can only imagine how many people would spend that money and be fucked when they don't have it to pay back next year.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017

These people are dumb as fuck. All the Dems have to do is have Biden go out there and say he'll give everyone the $600 Dems have already passed. Trump is robbing them of an extra $200.

"Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell are tearing up the Constitution to cheat you out of an extra $200 a week."

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
The Democrats should challenge this shit. This was probably the play all along from the GOP.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It won't, he can't do this through executive order, the executive branch doesn't have the money for it and the states don't either. He might as well have had a press conference showing off the toilet paper he just wiped his ass with for all the good it does anyone.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
What is this guy even talking about. Dems can down one trillion to meet republicans in the middle at 2 trillion.

yeah, but people don't really know that. and nobody is going to remind them. Republicans fight for less money, Trump unconstitutionally declares less money, and that's... a win for Republicans?

The Democrats should challenge this shit. This was probably the play all along from the GOP.

"Are Democrats gonna sue our great Prez to keep money away from people?!"