• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Yeah.

But having now nearly a thousand Pokémon gives variety potential. Yeah, Pikachu and Pichu, clones, never gonna negate it. But Jigglypouff is floaty and has is weird sing and rest, Pokémon Trainer are three characters in one even representing the evolution theme in Pokémon, Lucario acts as a artial artist type, Greninja is a .. .wel.. a ninja type... and Incineroar is a wrestler type. they're very well different. Fie Emblem always has its "lord "characters and six have a counter, and four have a very identical moveset. Heck, i will say Ike represents well the overpowered guy.

And to summarise why Pokémon in Smash is not as blatant as Fire Emblem in Smash, this guy has the perfect explanation

All eight characters would be the electrical rat, which by itself limits you what you do because there's somewhat of a limit to what cute electric rats can do.

Amazing, I was going to post the same thing, but the image is perfect to illustrate the point. And people would still defend Plusle and Minun being "two in one", Emolga "having better recovery", Togedemaru being "heavier but stronger", and Morpeko having a different Final Smash. "The Pika clones are iconic, anyone who sees them instantly knows it's Pokemon, you can't add Greninja and alienate people who chose the other starters, or less important Pokemon like Lucario before the Pika clones".

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Also the Hoes Mad has nothing to do with someone being a "real" FE fan or a not, it's just schandenfreude.

Many in the smash fan base are just overly invested in the line up, it's fun to see the salt when something you like or don't have a problem with flies in the face of their certainty.

I should know, I love 3H and wanted El ... but I'm cool with this. And I find this whole outcry funny af lol

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
tales music comes in three forms
Too Good for the Rest of the Series (aka the Go Shiina music)
decent (the exceptionally good regular stuff)
and then awful (most tales music)
Oh. I still don't get how it relates to wanting a track from three Houses lol.

Probably helped if I played tales. But the games don't interest me.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's going to be the same as Pokemon, where you have a popular legacy franchise that consistently adds an entirely new roster of characters each major new entry. It's inevitable that new representation will be added to each Smash.

The "Fire Emblem is popular enough to deserve more characters in every Smash game" argument kind of falls flat for me considering series like Kirby, Zelda, and Donkey Kong continually get snubbed despite being equally if not more popular and long-running. FE has been treated to a whopping 5 additional characters in Smash 4 and Ultimate while those other series were given... just King K. Rool, who fans literally had to beg for in the ballot.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
The "Fire Emblem is popular enough to deserve more characters in every Smash game" argument kind of falls flat for me considering series like Kirby, Zelda, and Donkey Kong continually get snubbed despite being equally if not more popular and long-running. FE has been treated to a whopping 5 additional characters in Smash 4 and Ultimate while those other series were given... just King K. Rool, who fans literally had to beg for in the ballot.
Kirby, Zelda, and DK don't generally add new protagonists every game. Like many other franchises, they tend to have a handful of primary recurring characters. Hence why the Zelda reps get tweaked from game to game to represent new versions of themselves.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby, Zelda, and DK don't generally add new protagonists every game. Like many other franchises, they tend to have a handful of primary recurring characters. Hence why the Zelda reps get tweaked from game to game to represent new versions of themselves.
DK was getting new protagonists each game for a good while and Smash stopped after the second.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's werid to see people bring up the potential of the moveset in defense of Byleth when those that are disappointed couldn't care less about it. Like regardless of how good it is I'm never touching Byleth after I clear his classic mode, just like Joker, Hero, and Terry.
What if he's fun to play? I couldn't give less of a shit about K. Rool but I still play him every now and then because he's fun.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
DK was getting new protagonists each game for a good while and Smash stopped after the second.
DK & Diddy have always been the primary characters of the franchise, starring in the original DKC, as well as being the 2 characters in DKC Returns. I would personally love to see Dixie Kong, but I do understand that she hasn't been in nearly the number of games that DK & Diddy have starred in (She really got screwed over by Tiny taking her spot in several games...). We can only hope that her return in Tropical Freeze firmly establishes her as the 3rd major protagonist in the series, and that Sakurai is interested in adding additional DKC representation.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Every game should have Funky Mode. Nintendo's slippin
357.png

Funky Kong is a light in the darkness, the most relatable DK character

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

The thing is FE is very much different yet similar to Pokemon.
For FE every game is a new cast of characters, there's no main protag that the series builds around or follows. Every big game is it's own new thing like Pokemon. If you keep trying to drag out characters from DK or Kirby beyond the core focus ones you'll gonna get side characters with lil importance at some point.
With Zelda the Problem seems to be that beyond the core cast every other character just gets replaced every game so Sakurai seems to treat the whole series as just Link/ Zelda/ Ganon.

But (regarding that "if Pokemon where treated like FE" post earlier) it's unlike Pokemon in that there IS a narrative "Main Character". So instead of looking at this gen's shill-mon to pick from he has a core, identifiable new Protag.
Like ... yeah, he can pick Tony the Tiger over the other starters if he wants. But even though El is the main character of the story she's only 1 of 3 paths you can pick. Prof is the only constant protag.

IMO FE is it's own special thing that gives Sakurai a ton of logical picks for new characters where he doesn't have to start grabbing side characters.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
People are allowed to be angry.

Byleth is a character from an already over represented franchise, is neither an under represented PoC or default woman when Sakurai had the chance to add either with Claude and Edelgard if he wanted an FE character, and boring from a visual point with chrom, Marth, and ike about.

People spent money on the pass. To dial the argument down to "lol salty Sakurai can do want he likes" is disrespectful.
This post nails it. Even for me, having another FE rep isn't a huge deal. Hell, Three Houses was one of my favorite games of 2019. The problem is that Three Houses had better options that Sakurai & Nintendo passed over that could have helped with either the lack of characters who are primarily female or the lack of people of color, with the choice made only adding to the problems of the roster (which currently has the 3rd worst female fighter ratio of any modern fighting game). Is having Female Byleth better than nothing, yes. But it's far from sufficient, which I get to in the next post.

People are allowed to be disappointed. It's still silly to be angry over a single DLC slot when there's six more to come, especially when that anger is often expressed in immature, vitriolic, or otherwise toxic ways.

There's no such thing as an "overrepresented franchise"; the Smash roster's proportions are not and never have been based on series popularity. Fire Emblem, like Pokemon, is a major Nintendo series which Sakurai personally likes that features new main characters every game, making it a prime target from which to draw different fighters who are the "face" of their game. (Moreover, some of them are echoes rather than full unique characters, and their full inclusion is due to Ultimate's "everyone is here" policy.)

Yes, the underrepresentation of PoC and women are very legitimate reasons to be disappointed. Absolutely—the most legitimate reasons, really. Female Byleth could and should have been default. She's still equal in representative proportion to male Byleth, comprising half the skins, though, so I take issue with her "not counting" whatsoever (even if Edelgard is a better character with a way better design).

Would I have preferred a Pokemon trainer-esque implementation where Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri were the characters—or even Edelgard or Claude alone? Yes. But the weaponmaster nature of Byleth is legitimately complex and interesting from a gameplay perspective, too, while also skirting the issue of choosing a single route's protagonist, so I see why they went with it.

That people spent money on the pass is immaterial, since it launched with the disclaimer that you were buying something you didn't know the contents of, and players have the choice of buying them individually. And there is absolutely a major sect of Smash fans who use reductive arguments; there's no need for critics of them to dial them down at all.

e.g. "Another generic anime sword-user," when Byleth uses a unique whip-sword, a bow, an axe, and a lance.

e.g. the many attacks on and dismissals of the Fire Emblem franchise in this thread and elsewhere, which are unproductive.

A Three Houses representative was inevitable. Everyone knew that, yet they're twisting themselves into knots all the same. Most of them are not even appraising the character by its legitimately cool-looking playstyle that isn't at all similar to past Fire Emblem characters.
To quote what I said elsewhere...
..more often than not, the secondary option for gender-choice characters aren't featured on the character select screen, aren't featured on the Everyone is Here banner, & (unless you're Corrin) don't get Amiibos. They're sadly very much treated as secondary. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that Byleth's name is different for the male & female forms in Japanese, I'm not sure if they'd even picture both for the website thumbnail (the fact that it's to this point is sad). I treat said alternate forms in Smash no differently than I do for Injustice 2's Premier Skins (John Stewart, Black Lightning, Vixen, etc.). They're very much appreciated & certainly better than nothing, hence why I also go through the trouble of doing an alternate percentage which includes said alternate costumes. But in reality, they're basically consolation prizes that only add a band-aid to the larger problem. At least gender-choice characters who are female by default are a decent step forward by putting the female form at the forefront.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This post nails it. Even for me, having another FE rep isn't a huge deal. Hell, Three Houses was one of my favorite games of 2019. The problem is that Three Houses had better options that Sakurai & Nintendo passed over that could have helped with either the lack of characters who are primarily female or the lack of people of color, with the choice made only adding to the problems of the roster (which currently has the 3rd worst female fighter ratio of any modern fighting game). Is having Female Byleth better than nothing, yes. But it's far from sufficient, which I get to in the next post.

To quote what I said elsewhere...
There's no valid reason for anger.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, and Bandana Waddle Dee are still not in Smash. Why 5 FE lords and not any of them?

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The dissapointment is more like, the route of Fire Emblem characters.
-They are always used to promote FE games: Roy for Melee to promote in Japan that GBA game, Ike on brawl for Path of Radiance, Robin and Lucina for Awakening and Corrin for Fates (which IIRC, it wasn't released yet outside Japan so it was batlant) which it was DLC. Now Byleth for promoting Three Houses on Switch. I would say that if it was to really represent which became the most popular or iconic of the serie, at best Marth, Lucina and Robin are worth.
Radiant Dawn, not Path of Radiance; the latter was released a few months before Brawl, even though Brawl used the latter's character design.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not toxic anger to the point of harassing Sakurai (seriously, cut it out to those doing that, it's fucked up). But civilized criticism is fine & honestly justified in this case.
I don't know about that. This isn't stuff you need to buy, no one is pointing a gun at your head and telling you you need to buy this character.

Constructive criticism is fine. But justified? That's a bit much for a toy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know about that. This isn't stuff you need to buy, no one is pointing a gun at your head and telling you you need to buy this character.

Constructive criticism is fine. But justified? That's a bit much for a toy.
Fair enough, the justified part was my own opinion creeping in. But yeah, there's no issue with constructive criticism. The problem is when it becomes toxic.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
I don't think actual FE fans are behind the "hoes mad" posting. I'm an FE fan and honestly not pleased with how the franchise has been represented in smash. The Smash fanbase is just awful enough to have a subculture of people who get off at yelling about how "salty" everyone is.
I think your right. The amount of "hoes mad" post I've seen on my feed has been ridiculous. I personally think it's pathetic when I see people say they one a character just because it would make certain fans upset.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): ignoring the staff post
Well, at least this reveal gave enough fuel for inspiration for loads and loads of memes...

MAy0Zvt.jpg

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Any chance of them darkening the Claude skin? I might lean towards female Byleth because the white skin just feels off....

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I think your right. The amount of "hoes mad" post I've seen on my feed has been ridiculous. I personally think it's pathetic when I see people say they one a character just because it would make certain fans upset.
Naah, I love spreading the Hoes Mad and I'm a straight up FE fan.

IMO it's pathetic to get so invested in the decisions of one man and what he chooses to add to this 1 great game.

"But I PAID-"

Then you took a gamble for a discount by choosing to buy something with out any idea what you would get but assumed that you would like all of it.

If people want to act like entitled kids I'm all for people laughing at them.
Dat harmless schandenfreude ..

Nov 17, 2017
What was that bit about BotW Zelda not being a good playable rep? Hopefully one of the new BotW2 characters is enough to sway him. That series is more than overdue a new rep.
That confused me. Isabelle is a fighter. Surely you could come up with a BotW Zelda moveset.
I'm not saying anger in a general sense is never OK.

But at a video game character reveal? Yeah, no.
what about disappointment? Is that ok?

Nov 17, 2017
I've never said it wasn't. Disappointment is natural. But the moment people use it to justify toxic anger, a line gets crossed.
I was just asking. Didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I've just noticed that some people have been insisting everyone should be happy with it and expressing or stating disappointment in the character is bad.

Obviously you shouldn't be toxic but I also feel people slap the toxic label on anything negative which isn't always deserved.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Naah, I love spreading the Hoes Mad and I'm a straight up FE fan.

IMO it's pathetic to get so invested in the decisions of one man and what he chooses to add to this 1 great game.

"But I PAID-"

Then you took a gamble for a discount by choosing to buy something with out any idea what you would get but assumed that you would like all of it.

If people want to act like entitled kids I'm all for people laughing at them.
Dat harmless schandenfreude ..
People seem to keep making this assumption for some reason.

Once again, it was Nintendo that chose these characters, not Sakurai.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
what about disappointment? Is that ok?
The whole point behind that string of post was saying "It's ok to be disappointed, but anger at a character reveal just because you don't approve isn't".

For example, until NOW I've been disappointed with every character reveal for the DLC. But I'm not trying to act like I know whats best for the game or that I know what series deserves what. "Someone likes it and I don't have to buy it if I don't find them interesting ... hope those who like them enjoy playing them".