• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its been outright stated Sakurai isn't the one who picks the characters.
(Was at work when this was posted, just saw the response notif)

I know this was said at the start, but seriously, look at the packs. I feel like "Nintendo" chose them, but it was Sakurai asking.

Persona 5 — Sakurai made very clear how much he adored that game. I don't think Nintendo said, "let's advertise this Sony exclusive game and franchise [Persona] as our first pack." This right off the bat said Sakurai had a say in things.

Dragon Quest — Not totally sure how important it was to him, but it's a cultural zeitgeist in Japan. Maybe this is more Nintendo based? Dragon Quest 11 would make gains, I suppose. This sounds the most "Nintendo forced."

Banjo Kazooie — This feels more to me like Sakurai taking fan wishes into account in the same way K.Rool was (heck, he even made clear that K.Rool was a Western addition). Think of this as a delayed Ballot release, I suppose.

Fatal Fury — 100% a Sakurai deal, like, that was a starting point to him even developing Smash. The showcase of Terry's was literally him gushing about Fatal Fury and the history about it, lol.

Fire Emblem — Which leads to Byleth. Sure, if they were the first to be released we'd be like, "okay, Nintendo, we see you," but being put at the end I kind of feel like it was heavily Sakurai involved. Especially since he's a massive Fire Emblem nerd.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
902.jpg

LMAO.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched the full reveal and Byleth looks cool as shit

As much as I would have gone for literally anyone else over Byleth, I think that Byleth is an absolutely worthwhile addition to the roster from a gameplay perspective.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What sucks about all these Fire Emblem Sword characters is that it makes the chance we get Crono pretty much zero. I get that Fire Emblem is popular but there are ton of other franchises and games that you could add a really fun and inventive character but they keep adding Fire Emblem.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
What sucks about all these Fire Emblem Sword characters is that it makes the chance we get Crono pretty much zero. I get that Fire Emblem is popular but there are ton of other franchises and games that you could add a really fun and inventive character but they keep adding Fire Emblem.
Crono doesn't really have much a unique moveset though

Now, Robo, there's a character with potential

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I know this was said at the start, but seriously, look at the packs. I feel like "Nintendo" chose them, but it was Sakurai asking.

Persona 5 — Sakurai made very clear how much he adored that game. I don't think Nintendo said, "let's advertise this Sony exclusive game and franchise [Persona] as our first pack." This right off the bat said Sakurai had a say in things.

Dragon Quest — Not totally sure how important it was to him, but it's a cultural zeitgeist in Japan. Maybe this is more Nintendo based? Dragon Quest 11 would make gains, I suppose. This sounds the most "Nintendo forced."

Banjo Kazooie — This feels more to me like Sakurai taking fan wishes into account in the same way K.Rool was (heck, he even made clear that K.Rool was a Western addition). Think of this as a delayed Ballot release, I suppose.

Fatal Fury — 100% a Sakurai deal, like, that was a starting point to him even developing Smash. The showcase of Terry's was literally him gushing about Fatal Fury and the history about it, lol.

Fire Emblem — Which leads to Byleth. Sure, if they were the first to be released we'd be like, "okay, Nintendo, we see you," but being put at the end I kind of feel like it was heavily Sakurai involved. Especially since he's a massive Fire Emblem nerd.

thank you for this post. With facts and logical thinking. So many people shit on Sakurai but he can add whoever he want, it's his game after all

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
Stay mad. Byleth is a fine choice. Your waifu, husbando, self-insert, or favorite character ain't worth a lick of dirt.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
a late reaction but still. what a disappointing way to end the first dlc wave.
certainly did not need to see another fire emblem character.
and if they HAD to include one from 3H. one of the house leaders like dimitri would be preferable over the cardboard cutout character that is byleth. Even his/her smash gameplay did not do much for me.

still. considering the 3H dlc trailer came out the same day. i guess it was all planned.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
If Crono was gonna be in the game he'd be in the game. And since he's a katana user I'd imagine he'd play pretty different from any of the FE characters.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Actually Hero was a dream of Sakurai's and he never thought he'd get them to say yes and the alts being other heroes was also a bit of a miracle as normally they aren't allowed to fight each other in spinoffs

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, maybe it's just my own personal bias, but I never took his "Nintendo chose the characters" byte too seriously.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually Hero was a dream of Sakurai's and he never thought he'd get them to say yes and the alts being other heroes was also a bit of a miracle as normally they aren't allowed to fight each other in spinoffs
More to the point then, haha. Couldn't quite remember the Hero showcase. That's awesome though, didn't know about the alts not being allowed to fight thing.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Ugh, you know I wish that there was still trophies in this game.
I'd kill for trophies of the students.

I'm wondering if Sakurai is ever gonna make an updated single player with all the new fighters and spirits.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
When Sakurai said he wanted to include every gaming world possible, he was actually mistranslated. He wants to represent every Fire Emblem cast possible.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
There were honestly better options within Three Houses (Edelgard & Claude especially).
Nah. Byleth is the best choice.
None of those clowns can do anything without Byleth. Only Byleth can get shit done by themselves. The one who should rep from TH is either the MC or the strongest and Byleth ticks both boxes.

Sakurai chose wisely.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One other thing that's been under-discussed: It's a bit of a coincidence that this character reveal for Byleth just happened to go up the same day we got a trailer for the Three Houses DLC:

Call me overly cynical but I don't think this is Sakurai being a Fire Emblem fanboy or anything; I stand by the belief that is more of the same blatant promotion that Nintendo has used Smash Bros. for in the past i.e. Corrin in Smash 4's DLC for promoting Fates, Roy being included in Melee to promote the upcoming release of Fuuin No Tsurugi, etc.
None of those clowns can do anything without Byleth. Only Byleth can get shit done by themselves. The one who should rep from TH is either the MC or the strongest and Byleth ticks both boxes.
That's called bad writing.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Sakurai chose wisely.
Or, or. It's all three of them with Byleth instructing them from the background like Pokemon Trainer.

I wouldn't call Byleth the MC of Three Houses. The player character sure, but it's mainly the story of the lords.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Edelgard especially. I enjoy Three Houses a lot, but Byleth is such a boring pick. At least Edelgard would be a legit female character straight up, no gimmicks/costume changes.
Byleth, as unique as they are mechanically, is just another male-by-default player avatar. At least Edelgard or Claude would help fill some gaps in the roster (entirely non-sword-users, another character who's primarily a woman in Edelgard's case, a person of color in Claude's case, an archery-based moveset for Claude, a female villain in Edelgard's case, etc.).

barley

Banned
Aug 16, 2018
LOL has anyone seen papagenos reaction vid? Saltiest thing on earth. Smash fans are toxic my god

I'm a fan of his but his video was like...disturbing lol. Kept saying "I don't even care though!" but, he does.

Also, the idea that these guys think they know what goes on behind the scenes is baffling. Like dude...you have no idea. No one actually knows.

You'd think after Banjo he'd be cool with this (where I'm at).

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
Or, or. It's all three of them with Byleth instructing them from the background like Pokemon Trainer.

I wouldn't call Byleth the MC of Three Houses. The player character sure, but it's mainly the story of the lords.
I'n guessing you either never played TH or yet to play Silver Snow? Byleth has their own route. Byleth for better or worse is critical to those three lords anyways in terms of development and story progression.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Byleth, as unique as they are mechanically, is just another male-by-default player avatar. At least Edelgard or Claude would help fill some gaps in the roster (entirely non-sword-users, another character who's primarily a woman in Edelgard's case, a person of color in Claude's case, an archery-based moveset for Claude, a female villain in Edelgard's case, etc.).
Byleth is ultimately the safe choice but likely the only one a developer could really make if you're made to choose someone before the game even comes out. Like, there's no real way to gauge if Edelgard or Dimitri or Claude would be the "right" choice in a pre-release environment. Especially since each of them turned out to have their individual divisive elements.

Claris

Oct 29, 2017
One other thing that's been under-discussed: It's a bit of a coincidence that this character reveal for Byleth just happened to go up the same day we got a trailer for the Three Houses DLC:

Call me overly cynical but I don't think this is Sakurai being a Fire Emblem fanboy or anything; I stand by the belief that is more of the same blatant promotion that Nintendo has used Smash Bros. for in the past i.e. Corrin in Smash 4's DLC for promoting Fates, Roy being included in Melee to promote the upcoming release of Fuuin No Tsurugi, etc.

...Or both sets of DLC just happen to be releasing around the same time so they decided to advertise them together since they're related? I seriously doubt this was some marketing thing they planned over a year in advance (especially given the Three Houses DLC wasn't schedule for release until April).

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
When the stream started I was beside myself with joy and I couldn't stop tweeting how excited I was. The video kicks in, I quickly notice it is Fire Emblem and I lose my shit: I can't believe one of the lords is gonna make it to Smash! Heck, perhaps even 3 with Byleth working as a Pokémon Trainer of sorts. As soon as Sothis tells Byleth he should join Smash, all my excitement slowly goes away, looking at the screen in disbelief. As an extremely huge Fire Emblem stan, I was thoroughly disappointed in the reveal.

Fast forward to now, twelve hours later, and I suppose I've already made peace with the decision. I know I'll get a lot of mileage out of Byleth and it's gonna get me back to playing Smash.

Smash has more or less been used as a promotion platform for quite some time now and honestly, I don't see what's so bad about it? Also, it's clear Fire Emblem is special to Sakurai so he'd totally be on board with adding another representative. The post above makes a better point, though: the DLC was planned to be released by April 2020. Maybe IntSys actually did what it could to get the final wave to release right on time for the reveal, not the other way around.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

If that was the case, then why wouldn't it just be one of the new characters in the new house?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'n guessing you either never played TH or yet to play Silver Snow? Byleth has their own route. Byleth for better or worse is critical to those three lords anyways in terms of development and story progression.
I have played through the game multiple times. But it says a lot that Byleth is really only the main character in a single route.

Silver Snow is also the worst route. Don't @ me.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Honestly, what the fuck?

In a fighters pass full of unexpected third parties, this is the sole first party character we get? Another sword wielding Fire Emblem lord?
If they wanted to put in a recent first party character there's much more interesting ones to have picked. Rex and Pyra/Mythra, Spring Man, Officer Howard, etc, or hell, Edelgard to at least have some semblance of variety.

Can we go a mainline Fire Emblem game without the main protagonist getting into Smash?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what the fuck?

In a fighters pass full of unexpected third parties, this is the sole first party character we get? Another sword wielding Fire Emblem lord?
If they wanted to put in a recent first party character there's much more interesting ones to have picked. Rex and Pyra/Mythra, Spring Man, Officer Howard, etc, or hell, Edelgard to at least have some semblance of variety.

Can we go a mainline Fire Emblem game without the main protagonist getting into Smash?
Every single non-Echo FE lord has brought something unique to the table, with the exception of Melee Roy, but he was changed significantly for Smash For and Ultimate.

Marth - the first FE character
Ike - Heavy Sword User, slow movement, but powerful attacks
Robin - Magic and the limited item use mechanic
Corrin - Dragon limbs and a huge AoE counter, unique things like angling the side smash up and down, or being able to damage while charging a smash.
Byleth - A sword that breaks into a chain, in addition to being able to use an axe, lance, and bow. An up+b that can spike people and really makes up for a poor recovery, the unique mechanic of weapons being assigned to directions

All 5 of the above characters play almost nothing alike. Marth, Ike, and Corrin have counters of some kind and that's about it.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Smash has more or less been used as a promotion platform for quite some time now and honestly, I don't see what's so bad about it? Also, it's clear Fire Emblem is special to Sakurai so he'd totally be on board with adding another representative. The post above makes a better point, though: the DLC was planned to be released by April 2020. Maybe IntSys actually did what it could to get the final wave to release right on time for the reveal, not the other way around.
I never said it was bad, i've pointed this out before in this very thread (and the post you quoted), and i'm not bothered by this any more than "well, they wouldn't have been my first choices for Three Houses, let alone Fire Emblem as a whole" since they look fun enough to play as. I'm aware of how long it takes to make these characters and such, it's moreso that I don't buy the nonsensical conspiracy theory that Sakurai is a fanboy trolling the Smash fandom or some of the other more outlandish claims i've heard, there was a process to that lead to this decision that was cynical in the same way that Corrin's DLC being used to promote Fates' international release was cynical, even if I enjoyed playing as Corrin in Smash 4.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I have played through the game multiple times. But it says a lot that Byleth is really only the main character in a single route.

Silver Snow is also the worst route. Don't @ me.

Is anyone really about to @ you for that? That's pretty unambiguously true.

It's just Golden Deer, but without the joy of Claude.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I'm actually realizing that Byleth actually their sword as a whip more often than as an actual sword

but basically a marth clone amirite

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What was that bit about BotW Zelda not being a good playable rep? Hopefully one of the new BotW2 characters is enough to sway him. That series is more than overdue a new rep.