• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I've been watching reactions at work, Maximilian's is my favorite so far. He dies inside immediately when he sees Byleth and he seems super pissed the entire video hahaha

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I hate it, but I already got Hero, Joker & Banjo so... fine. i'm sure they'll be a fun character to play as anyway.

edit - only thing is now I don't really see why Rex from XC2 can't get in now. maybe fighter pack 2?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Well, it's disappointing in a way because it's another Fire Emblem character, but it also makes perfect sense because Three Houses is extremely popular and the new DLC hits next month, too.

I would definitely be more disappointed if this was the last DLC entry, but we're getting an entirely new fighter pass with six more characters so it's kinda hard to be upset knowing there's more on the way.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Well, on the bright side, if they keep making indie Mii costumes, we might eventually get a Celeste song in Smash (and Madeline/Badeline costumes)

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They did a great job of making Byleth an interesting character, and even demonstrated awareness of the perceived glut of sword characters. I have no idea why everybody is pretending to be so surprised by it. I can't even be mad about it when they clearly worked so hard to make this character distinct from the rest.

I mean, basically every other less successful Fire Emblem game has as much or more representation. Byleth, from their critically and commercially successful Game of the Year contender, was basically guaranteed to get a spot eventually. Giving it to them at the end of a DLC pack after an unprecedented amount of third-party content unrivaled in gaming seems like the best they could have done for the haters.

If we have to get mad, the pitchforks and torches should be out for the reduction of Megaman.exe and X to *shudder* Mii skins.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
M
Man, what a roster:

zyrz7xB.jpg
Marth Belmont ?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
They did a great job of making Byleth an interesting character, and even demonstrated awareness of the perceived glut of sword characters. I have no idea why everybody is pretending to be so surprised by it. I can't even be mad about it when they clearly worked so hard to make this character distinct from the rest.

I mean, basically every other less successful Fire Emblem game has as much or more representation. Byleth, from their critically and commercially successful Game of the Year contender, was basically guaranteed to get a spot eventually. Giving it to them at the end of a DLC pack after an unprecedented amount of third-party content unrivaled in gaming seems like the best they could have done for the haters.

If we have to get mad, the pitchforks and torches should be out for the reduction of Megaman.exe and X to *shudder* Mii skins.
Gotta go back further then that. The Megaman Mii costumes were from Smash 4.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Such a massive disappointment. I mean at least they finally got the core Fire Emblem weapons that were missing (Spear, Axe & Bow) but feels like its Corrin all over again. Too late to line up with the release and be relevant, too soon for people to build nostalgia and overall a forgettable character people didn't care for.

The Not Another Swordsman Joke was cheeky, but I feel like they missed the point all the same and made the same boring choise

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta go back further then that. The Megaman Mii costumes were from Smash 4.
That's a fair point. I was sad back then too, but also a bit less hopeful since we weren't getting nearly as much crazy stuff as we are now. I'm still happy overall though, because I have like 80 different characters to play.

...but I still want more Mega Man.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
Amazing to see Byleth in!!! Three Houses is one of my favorite games ever and I'm glad to see it being represented this way.

They did a great job by having them using different weapons and it's great to see all the different cameos through the stage! (Hubert should have made it in tho).

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That's a fair point. I was sad back then too, but also a bit less hopeful since we weren't getting nearly as much crazy stuff as we are now. I'm still happy overall though, because I have like 80 different characters to play.

...but I still want more Mega Man.
Not gonna lie I'd take even an echo fighter of Megaman.exe. I remember being so bummed when I saw him as a mii costume originally haha. So I know your pain

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I see posts like this and I honestly wonder what in the world would make you happy.

Forget Byleth for a minute. There were four separate third party characters. All very different and varied. What did you want exactly?
Duuuude you have got to understand everybody has different tastes.

It is completely possible for someone to not enjoy Persona, Dragon Quest, Fatal Fury or another Fire Emblem character. And that's fine. There's no need to be so confrontational. I'm glad you were chuffed with the pack. I was not. They'll get your £20. They won't get mine. There's six more characters coming. World keeps spinning.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017

Having two moves per direction and input be a different weapon hardly changes the character. A character holding and using an ax the entire time would be immediately different. A character holding a lance as a weapon and using it the entire time would be immediately different and more interesting than the current Byleth.

The current Byleth they revealed is boring, IMO. Just because they acknowledged there are a lot of sword characters doesn't excuse them from picking yet another primarily sword-wielding character from the same series as the other ones.

At this point I'm almost convinced Sakurai chooses the sword characters is because they're the easiest to make a move set for. Animations, hitboxes, etc. It's all easier than having to come up with how you make an ax character swing an ax in the air or differently on the ground or animating throws for an ax user and so on and so forth. The fact the down B for Byleth is essentially a slower Eruption from Ike (it basically is) when it's practically an ax-like weapon says it all really.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai does it again. With every reveal character cycle he starts high and then ends in absolutely mediocrity. There has never been a megaton surprise ending character in any of the smash cycles, game or dlc (well maybe bayo, but thatw as picked by the people and also we all know how that ended lol)

I love Fire Emblem Three Houses, I dont hate Byleth (it was me in my game) and yet, its a fucking trash pick.

And seems that Sakurai doesnt give two fucks about people not wanting more FIre Emblem characters. He loves Fire Emblem and everyone of us have to deal with it.
I think it would be good for him to have a rest of the smash series till next gen and actually work with intelligent systems to do a fire emblem project with them. That or a new Kid Icarus, that would actually be super welcomed.

Well, at least the only good thing I can see if that we have now a really nice render model of both Byleths
mWDL3Sg.png

Someone had some good fun with zbrush, thats for sure.

Last edited:

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie I'd take even an echo fighter of Megaman.exe. I remember being so bummed when I saw him as a mii costume originally haha. So I know your pain
I would absolutely be fine with that. I think they could tinker with Samus the way they tinkered with Captain Falcon for ganondorf. Throw some chips on there.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I laughed so hard when this was announced. Kinda what Smash players deserve shitting on all the other rad character inclusions this pass had. Still better than Banjo, the one character in this pass who doesn't do anything for me.

As someone who doesn't like Smash, I'm pretty much only here for the music so the real travesty is that Byleth only gets one new arrangement.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
An odd choice indeed. I thought the whole idea was that the DLC fighters would be unconventional and not from represented series. Presumably a deal fell through?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having two moves per direction and input be a different weapon hardly changes the character. A character holding and using an ax the entire time would be immediately different. A character holding a lance as a weapon and using it the entire time would be immediately different and more interesting than the current Byleth.

The current Byleth they revealed is boring, IMO. Just because they acknowledged there are a lot of sword characters doesn't excuse them from picking yet another primarily sword-wielding character from the same series as the other ones.
It sounds like we disagree about what constitutes adequate change and what the standard of distinction is here.

I would have liked to have seen another character or class from the series represented, but there was basically no scenario in which this one wasn't going to get in. With that in mind, I think they did a good job of making them interesting. Just my opinion I absolutely understand that we disagree there.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love three houses and it's absolutely the best fire emblem game. but holy shit this is a total misread. HOW DOES NINTENDO THINK PEOPLE CARE ABOUT HAVING A THOUSAND FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Officer: Nothing upsets the smash community more than a Fire Emblem character reveal.

Me: I know, isn't it beautiful?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
On the one hand, Byleth means 20% of the fighters pass DLC is female characters, kinda. On the other hand they still have that stupid outfit on her.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I love three houses and it's absolutely the best fire emblem game. but holy shit this is a total misread. HOW DOES NINTENDO THINK PEOPLE CARE ABOUT HAVING A THOUSAND FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS.
Its Sakurai's fault. No Nintendo here.
He probably knows (becuase if not, he is oblivious to the max), he just loves fire emblem too much and doesnt fucking care.

Lucentto

Oct 25, 2017
I love Three Houses so this is my favorite inclusion in the pass next to Joker and Terry. Thanks Sakurai, you didn't let me down.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OMG more fire emblem characters? Were people clamoring for more? Is there a new fire emblem game on the way?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Also im so fucking glad I didnt waste any money on the season pass. I can play the characters at my friends houses.
The only characters there that I really enjoyed was Banjo, and maybe hero. Joker can suck ass because I cant play his main game on the switch.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen enough internet hate mobs to know they tend to represent an extreme Fringe of the total people. We had months of people online raging over the new Pokemon, saying they won't buy it and that the series is dead to them. Now Sword and Shield are selling huge numbers.
Glad to see that "internet hate mob" now is just a catch all term for disappointed reactions.