• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It IS interesting that male and female Byleth actually share the spotlight here unlike Robin and Corrin. Too bad it still doesn't fall under Neoxon's rigid rules :p
About that...
Hell, they probably wouldn't have included both versions on the website thumbnail if it weren't for the fact that their Japanese names are different.

unknown.png

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I have played Metroid Prime Trilogy and I still don't understand the success of Dark Samus.

I'm with you, Dark Samus sucks. Metroid Prime turning into evil Samus is the most boring option they could have taken, especially for a game like Metroid Prime that doesn't have a traditional narrative structure where a doppelganger could do something interesting.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You'd be missing out on a great game.

While Fire Emblem has representation, Three Houses doesn't. I think that might be the mindset.

Like every individual Fire Emblem game in the past decade has representation.

Ike-Path of Radiance

Marth -Shadow Dragon

Lucina /Chrom/Robin -Awakening

Corrin-Fates

Byleth- Three Houses

You forgot Roy.

Also to note, Roy and Chrom were added because fans wanted them (Chrom really stands out since he was literally skipped over for Robin), and Lucina started as an alt for Marth.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
mrw I wake up expecting "Dante in Smash" and my sleepy eyes glaze over Gaming topic for 2 solid minutes before finally noticing this Wonderbread of a character name in the thread title instead

tenor.gif

Nov 17, 2017
Byleth is the only one who does this.
Robin is a Fire Emblem character who's primary weapon is a sword. He also uses tomes, a weapon type from Fire Emblem.

Corrin is a Fire Emblem character who's primary weapon is a sword. He also uses dragonstones, a weapon type from Fire Emblem.

Byleth is-

You get the point. It doesn't help that these three are all avatars void of personality when characters like Sora, Dante or even Travis would have a lot of personality despite also being "anime swordsmen." At least for me, it's not just about being a sword user with an anime art style. It's just the bland Fire Emblem avatars yet again. I was stoked for Robin. Meh on Corrin but enjoyed playing him. Now I'm just disappointed.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I honestly thought it would be Death Knight when Sakurai mentioned people in Nintendo would be surprised. Would have been a great fakeout for the immediate Byleth disappointment upon seeing him on screen

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Disregarding the Staff Post
People falling for Sakura's trolling is the greatest gift in gaming.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Byleth always made the most sense for a 3H rep because they are a focus within the game no matter what. Even if you had all three house lords working together as a Pokemon Trainer type of thing, that still wouldn't cover the full game like Byleth does, and certainly none of them has as much to access from a moveset perspective.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oh, it's another Fire Emblem character. They're some of my favourite fighters in Smash, but it's getting a bit cramped with them now.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
After watching the presentation I'm more than happy. Of course ANYONE else from the gane would have been better, but the moveset is my jam and music is cool.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, this is genuinely great. Love how Sakurai's unadulterated love for Fire Emblem allows him to give no absolute fucks in flooding Smash with FE characters. Can't wait to play him/her.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Robin is a Fire Emblem character who's primary weapon is a sword. He also uses tomes, a weapon type from Fire Emblem.

Corrin is a Fire Emblem character who's primary weapon is a sword. He also uses dragonstones, a weapon type from Fire Emblem.

Byleth is-

You get the point. It doesn't help that these three are all avatars void of personality when characters like Sora, Dante or even Travis would have a lot of personality despite also being "anime swordsmen." At least for me, it's not just about being a sword user with an anime art style. It's just the bland Fire Emblem avatars yet again. I was stoked for Robin. Meh on Corrin but enjoyed playing him. Now I'm just disappointed.

Robin literally uses tomes in Awakening, so she isn't borrowing from another character.

Corrin is a dragon mixed.

Byleth is the only one who takes from other characters that they can't do in their home game.

Also, Robin has a personality. It maybe bland, but she isn't like Byleth who is a silent MC. Same with Corrin.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Huge disappointment. If there wasn't a 2nd fighter's pass, I'd be pissed. But even then, considering Banjo and (to a lesser extent) Terry Bogard are the only fighters I gave a shit about this go around, it's gonna take a lot to convince me the next one is worth it.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly speaking, I think Nintendo overestimated the popularity of Fire Emblem.

The people complaining about this are a minority. The majority of Smash players are either going to be neutral or are already into Three Houses. There wouldn't be so many anime swordsmen in Smash if people didn't want them.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
Three Houses is in my top 3 Switch games, I for ONE am very pleased with this and glad they incorporated the relics.

Would have been so much cooler if one of the lords joined too (especially edelgard)

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This is Nintendo in a nutshell for villains. Lol.

dark-pit-super-smash-bros-for-nintendo-switch-1.68.jpg

fe98860b9eb0d4e10cd8c5f2f23e86ca.jpg

Loz_darkwrld.jpg

blood-falcon-f-zero-gx-2.88.jpg

Wolf_O%27Donnell_%28character%29.png

... If it ain't broke, I guess.

Wolf isn't an evil version of Fox. He isn't even really evil, just a dick.

Hilda is also not evil.

Shadow Mario is just Bowser Jr posing as Mario to frame him.

Dark Pit isn't a villain either and is more of an Anti-Hero.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about it, if they were just going to mix the movesets into one character like this, they might as well have pulled an Hero and given us all lords and Byleth sharing a single moveset.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Pokemon-trainer type deal with Byleth would've been awesome, with him "instructing" each of the three house lords. It wouldn't be a perfect one to one match with PT, so some of the concept mechanics would need to change, but considering Byleth is already using their three weapons, it doesn't seem like it'd be all that difficult to instead work that into being the three lords themselves. Much better representation of the game as well. All major characters represented.

Plus, amiibo for the three lords! :)

Alas, it'll forever just be a dream.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Neither is Corrin who turns into a dragon, but they're still called 'generic anime sword guy'. Hero is called 'generic anime sword guy' despite most of his movie resolving around magic.
The phrase doesn't even mean anything lol. It's just Smash fan lingo feedback looping into itself when the real thing they're trying to say is that they don't happen to care for whatever the character pick happens to be.

Feb 12, 2019
Sakurai you magnificent bastard. I can't even be mad because you're too good at this. I mean, I'm disappointed, even as a fan of Fire Emblem (If they were going for Three Houses, should've been Claude or Edelgard) but dude is clearly having too much fun explaining how to count in binary.

Well, there's always hope for fighter pass 2, right? I'm definitely sure *insert obscure character* will make it in then! Personally, I was more than happy with Joker, Banjo, and Terry, so anything after this is just gravy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah realized my mistake a few posts up. Sorry. Also my post was a bit obnoxious and I'm sorry about that too. You come off so obsessive with your "rules" it borders on parody sometimes but I don't mean to downplay the desire to have more female characters that aren't just Ms. Male skins thrown in as an extra.
Apology accepted on both fronts.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They can do everything from their Smash moveset iirc. Everyone in 3H can wield any weapon type. The legendary weapons themselves are route locked though.

Which is what I meant. Byleth can't used the Lord's Hero's relics in Three Houses.

And my point was that Byleth is the only FE character doing stuff that can't be done in their home game, outside of Robin using Dark Tomes in their Grand Master class.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
A newcomer thread with a Staff Post makes me laugh.

Wish the pick was Edelgard but I understand why it was Byleth.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I was hoping for representation of another (i.e. any other) franchise, but I'm not surprised. Hopefully there won't be any more FE characters in the second pass or the eventual Smash sequel.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is apparent now that the logic behind the first pass is bookending legends of legends with the hot new shit. Will this be the case come the next pass, who knows.

Only the shadow knows MAHAHAHAHAHA

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super happy. I would've loved Claude, Dimitri or Edelgard but I'm very happy to see the Three Houses love regardless. That's 4/5 great picks for me with only the Fatal Fury guy being someone I couldn't care less about. What a brilliant pass this was.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's been said, but it needs to be resaid that the DLC roster was decided by Nintendo in Dec 2018. It's entirely likely Nintendo overestimated the popularity of Byleth and underestimated the popularity of the Lords, and given how game development works, it's not trivial to adjust things months in advance.

And the same with the now upcoming Challenger's Pass in which they've already been picked in advance. It's on everyone if they want to keep being disappointed.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Robin literally uses tomes in Awakening, so she isn't borrowing from another character.

Corrin is a dragon mixed.

Byleth is the only one who takes from other characters that they can't do in their home game.

Also, Robin has a personality. It maybe bland, but she isn't like Byleth who is a silent MC. Same with Corrin.
You're moving goalposts. Not once did I say anything about the fighters borrowing things from other characters.

I said they're Fire Emblem characters who use swords primarily but have another Fire Emblem weapon type as a secondary weapon. That's true for all three. Yes, even Corrin. He uses dragonstones to transform.

And ok, I'll admit Robin and Corrin have some semblance of a personality but like you said they're so bland they hardly have one. It makes sense because they're supposed to be avatars but that also makes them so samey. I'm sure if we have another bland avatar in the next Fire Emblem, they'll be in Smash as well using a sword but sometimes a staff or something because they aren't just any swordsman.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for representation of another (i.e. any other) franchise, but I'm not surprised. Hopefully there won't be any more FE characters in the second pass or the eventual Smash sequel.

The next Smash game is almost certainly going to be a 4K re-release of Ultimate with all the DLC and the latest Pokemon mascot and Fire Emblem Lord added in.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wolf isn't an evil version of Fox. He isn't even really evil, just a dick.

Hilda is also not evil.

Shadow Mario is just Bowser Jr posing as Mario to frame him.

Dark Pit isn't a villain either and is more of an Anti-Hero.

Wolf, dark pit and Hilda all still oppose the protagonists significantly up to trying to murder them (especially wolf, lol). Hell, wolf is only even slightly leaning towards not entirely evil in assault and that DS game nobody played, and Nintendo is insistent on not making a sequel to assault, so 🤷‍♂️

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Smash Ultimate is awesome but the cast of DLC characters has been a gigantic letdown for me, personally.

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
Which is what I meant. Byleth can't used the Lord's Hero's relics in Three Houses.

And my point was that Byleth is the only FE character doing stuff that can't be done in their home game, outside of Robin using Dark Tomes in their Grand Master class.

They can wield the hero's relics though. They just can't wield them all on the same route since the game doesn't give you access to all 3 at the same time.