• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They all have more personality than Byleth.
Doesn't even need to be a BotW character, could have been Impa from Skyward Sword, Vaati or someone else.

And? Byleth is the reason why one of the Lords don't go nutty, while the champions did nothing but die.

I don't mind Impa, and have in fact said she should replaced Shiek who is a relic. And no thanks to Vaati.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I don't dispute that more skin is showing than the male version. The short top is a bit much IMO but aside from that I could see someone with more skin showing on the street so maybe I'm just desensitized or something.

Even if that doesn't satisfy you she still isn't scantily clad of all things. Which was my main point.

The whole issues is that Byleth is meant to be a former mercenary, now teacher at a fancy military academy for wealthy nobleman. Male Byleth somewhat looks the part besides looking at bit too young and dainty. But Female Byleth? She looks so out of place. All just to make otakus horny. It's tiring so many Japansese developers still do this. At least Western devs have begun to move away from this.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's the Smash fanbase's fault for not keeping their expectations in check. Every time, it never fails.

People thought that they were getting a playable Resident Evil character. Didn't happen. People thought that they were getting someone like Dante being playable. Didn't happen.

When are they going to learn that characters having huge popularity doesn't mean that they're automatically a shoe-in?

Nintendo did this to themselves by having a Fighter Pass with 4 big third party picks end with a first party pick that (quoting from someone earlier in the thread) was "so expected that nobody even expected it."

I mean fans shouldn't have to expect random Pokemon, Mario enemies and Fire Emblem characters for Fighter Pass 6 just to "keep expectations in check." It's perfectly fine to want something a little more exciting.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And most of them are one-shot characters who are never heard about again. Which is why I hate Shiek being in Smash since they were literally only in one Zelda game and is just Zelda in a ninja outfit.
Yeah, being one shots sure is limiting. Just look at how few FE characters there are.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... Oh come on. Byleth, seriously? They could have added one of the three lords, but no, they had to add the flat PC. When we already have Robin and Corrin (the latter of the two being quite divisive in its own right). And another sword user to boot. Like the roster wasn't full of those already.
This is seriously disappointing.

Edit: Apparently, Byleth uses other weapons too. Doesn't change the fact that he is a flat, uninteresting character compared to the others lords.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I saw the first second of the trailer and immediately feared for the Internet's sanity.

Here is the one positive opinion you will see today: I'm pretty down with this. Three Houses was an excellent game, and its well represented here. Only concern is that Byleth doesn't look too interesting to play as, but I like swordies so I'll still give them a try.

Also yeah we didn't get the lords but the alts that represent them are solid.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And most of them are one-shot characters who are never heard about again. Which is why I hate Shiek being in Smash since they were literally only in one Zelda game and is just Zelda in a ninja outfit.

Which evidently is not a problem because virtually all the Fire emblem characters are one and dones too.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Byleth looks awesome and I'm glad he is in Smash. I'm sure he was better received in Japan where Fire Emblem is much more popular than here.

I wonder if people would be talking trash about this DLC if it was Master Chief, Doomguy or generic westerner white guy with guns-type character...

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Can't recall seeing such a terrible like/dislike ratio on a Smash video before.
How interesting.

That's all I'll say cause any criticism around here is treated like high treason by some of you

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Let's stop for a moment and talk how Hubert was robbed.
I guess he prefers to work on the shadows.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Don't regret the fighters pass but I can't say I'm impressed with all the fighters.

Best thing to come out of it was Banjo. Thank you Sakurai for finally bringing him home.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if people would be talking trash about this DLC if it was Master Chief, Doomguy or generic westerner white guy with guns-type character...
Considering that type of character isn't already dime a dozen in Smash, no, they wouldn't.

Byleth is an absolute trash pick.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being serious they probably didn't want to play favorites with house leaders and all three being playable was probably unfeasible.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
They probably would...

Some Smash fans: Why only popular characters? We want niche and/or obscure ones!
Sakurai: Ok, have Terry from Fatal Fury and the Heroes from Dragon Quest
Some Smash fans: OMG! No, not THAT obscure

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

Well considering we don't have a single such character in Smash people would be ecstatic to see an unrepresented genre (FPS) and archetype in Smash . Master Chief is the motherfucking face of Xbox. Doom gave birth to an entire new genre and is easily among the 10 most influential video games of all time.

Whereas we already had 7 FE lords in the game. A lot of whom are mute protagonists with blue hair. Like Byleth.

Some Smash fans: Why only popular characters? We want niche and/or obscure ones!
Sakurai: Ok, have Terry from Fatal Fury and the Heroes from Dragon Quest
Some Smash fans: OMG! No, not THAT obscure

Dragon Quest ain't obscure. And the hate for Byleth outmatches the hate for every other DLC fighter by a huuuuuuge margin. Just take a look at the like-dislike ratio for each fighter trailer. None of the rest are near Byleth's.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, we probably should have seen this coming between Fire Emblem only getting an echo fighter in the base game and Corrin being the last DLC fighter for Smash 4.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FE is also different games over different lands, while Zelda follows Link, Zelda most of the time, and then Ganon in third place.

They're often not the only characters though. Midna was more important than Zelda in TP, and drives the entire story. Even if you don't want one and dones, there's still options like Vaati who has been the villain in... three games so far, or Impa who shows up in most of them, with Skyward swords being the most important.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
And most of them are one-shot characters who are never heard about again. Which is why I hate Sheik being in Smash since they were literally only in one Zelda game and is just Zelda in a ninja outfit.

Such as R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, & Captain Falcon.

No one would know who these characters are if not for Smash Bros. The majority of people don't even know their origins.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
yall gotta accept that sakurai just doesnt like Zelda
It's mostly the fact that the protagonist and the villain is already in the game lol
Still cheesed it by including 3 times the protagonist.

Given how Sakurai only add the protagonist of a game, or a character that appear in almost every game in that franchise if he's not a protag, I feel like Pig Ganon and Tingle are the only left options.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Reaction probably would have been mildly better if they picked Edelgard.

The fixation on having to pick the player character of every FE is just ughh.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Smash in months and i can't honestly distinguish between the Fire Emblem characters. But as i said, haven't played for a while so I don't care who is in or who is not, sorry for the people who expected something different.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Being serious they probably didn't want to play favorites with house leaders and all three being playable was probably unfeasible.
True. But that just makes me wish they wited for SSmash 6 where making a new Pokemon Trainer esque character was feasible. Instead this will probably be the only Three Houses rep we ever get.