• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Lmao could they have made a worse choice?
This is not exciting at all. I bet someone more exciting was lined up but they are saving it to kick off the next fighter pass.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They knew people would be pissed and did it anyway.

Why the hell would you do that?

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmm.......

The man has an obsession.

Yeah it's always a little lame when you get another fire emblem character. They look fun enough I guess.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, a solid reminder that blindly buying season passes is always a stupid idea.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is it really that tedious to click the shoulder button a couple times?
Defaults matter. They're the ones that are pushed more, the ones on the "Everyone is Here" banner, the ones Kirby is modeled after upon absorption, & the ones who most likely get the Amiibos. While true, Female Corrin did get one, the other gender-choice secondary variants weren't so fortunate (Female Robin, Inkling Boy, Leaf, Male Wii Fit Trainer, etc.). There's a very real scenario where only Male Byleth gets an Amiibo.

Last edited:

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This wouldn't even be that bad if Sakurai didn't hype it up so much before showing it lol

"NO ONE WHO HAS LIVED HAS SEEN THIS"

"WE HAD TO EVACUATE ALL OF NINTENDO HQ WHILE WE MADE THIS CHARACTER"

"EVERYONE WILL BE SHOCKED"

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
User banned: (1 month): ignoring staff post, modwhining, history of modwhining, prior severe infractions
Look at the mods trying to police the reactions lol. Get a grip. Have some fun sometimes. It's not that serious

How Sakurai and Nintendo didnt realize people were tired of fire emblem is beyond me. It seems they are treating it like pokemon where a rep is guaranteed. Now that I think about it, wont one of the new fighters in the pass be a pokemon character? 6 more characters is so much too

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about tedium, it's about women having so few characters and alt costumes not really addressing the issue.

I don't see how it's not. You're literally getting a female character. Isn't options and representation the whole point?

Most people play the female alts anyway so it's not like you won't see it a lot on stream.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I knew when I started to see Fire Emblem in the trailer, people would get absolutely pissed about this, and surprise, a lot of the reactions around the Internet are real salty. I get why people are disappointed overall, but for me there weren't any additional characters I would have been super excited for.

For me, I'm not really excited or salty about this one, just generally OK with it. I really liked Three Houses and am totally OK with a character from that game, and feel that it was represented pretty well with Byleth (in 3H, actual weapons aren't class-restricted so any character can use swords, lances, axes, and bows). My only disappointment about the character pick is that it's Byleth and not Edelgard (or even better, a Pokemon Trainer-esque situation with Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri). I feel like Edelgard would have been a better pick given her overall popularity, but given how far in advance this pass was done, they probably weren't aware of who would be popular or not.

However, I am universally excited for the music. There are some that I would have really liked in there (Roar of Dominion, Indomitable Will, God-Shattering Star) but 3H has some of the best music in the entire series, and I will gladly replace most of my picks for the FE stages with 3H music.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't help but think how much Officer Howard would slot in better. They have 3 weapons to switch between and they have their legions for extra effect

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How Sakurai and Nintendo didnt realize people were tired of fire emblem is beyond me. It seems they are treating it like pokemon where a rep is guaranteed. Now that I think about it, wont one of the new fighters in the pass be a pokemon character? 6 more characters is so much too
The presentation made it clear that they knew what the reaction would be. They just didn't give a shit.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't see how it's not. You're literally getting a female character. Isn't options and representation the whole point?

Most people play the female alts anyway so it's not like you won't see it a lot on stream.

Scantily-clad table scraps don't exactly count as good 'representation'.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is legendary. Even as someone who don't hate Byleth, they should have picked any of the 3 lords instead who at least isn't another sword guy.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What? No. Byleth is a nothingburger mute self insert. The real main characters are the three lords relegated to nothing more than background cameos on the new stage.
I mean, fair enough. That hasn't been the consensus I've seen online for the most part, but again, I haven't played 3H, so if they are just another Robin/Corrin, my bad.
Still not the default. Should just be a pure female character.... There's a lot to choose from.
I don't disagree at all, but she clearly shares the slot with ManByleth in the Fighter's Pass screen so I kinda count her. Also hence why I'm, "content", not "hype". If FemByleth was the only choice or a different character, would be "hype".
I 100% dont hate the character, its an additional character that diversifies the game even more.

I just had mild expectations itd be a new franchise never represented in Smash. I got excited by that notion. It didnt help that Sakurai sort of hyped it up by saying how secret development was and how many Nintendo emplyees didnt even know about it. It made it seem like it was something surprising in a good way. I love the FE representation, but this should have been the first DLC character.

Banjo or Joker or Terry should have been last.
Yeah, this is true too, but I wonder if Byleth literally had to be developed last, as well.
I think it's obvious that Sakurai gives a damn at this point. The joke about too many sword users had me in stitches, and it suggests that he (or the team) are paying attention to the community.

Honestly, I wish the man would give a bit less of a damn about this game and take a vacation. After all that he's done, he deserves to be sitting on a beach somewhere.
He needs to rest and relax, tbqh.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine if psycho Dimitri was the DLC rep instead of Byleth. At least he's got a personality.
Smash is very bad at showing personality that relies on dialogue though. Just look at the Uprising crew (outside of the special taunts,which aren't really feasible in battle and limited to a horrible stage). And those are Sakurai's own characters.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can I just say? I love how Byleth's trailer played up the "too many swordsman" joke, and gave them a range of weapons right after.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
That Sothis meme was hilarious for sure, but not enough to make up for the bad pick.

Edelgard was pushed in the pre-release advertising far more than any other character, including Byleth, and it was obvious her house was the most popular among fans, which proved to be true once the game released. Plus, given her role in the story, it's silly to pretend Sakurai couldn't have seen the merits of adding her instead.

I will say that you have a point with this, but it really depends on when he actually tried the game. He very well could have played it before the advertising really began. Didn't they select all 5 fighters at once? If so he would have picked Byleth at least a year+ before the game released.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL at the bans in this thread. No fun allowed much? It's a new Smash character on a video game forum. Does every post have to be thoughtful?

For the record: I don't care, we got Joker and Banjo. That's all I need. More Fire Emblem is a disappointment however. If they were going to add someone from a franchise already represented in the series, I'd rather it be a Zelda character.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I loved the newest fire emblem. I'd be lying if I wasn't disappointed by this pick.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
Is it me or has Nintendo latched onto Smash like it's the only fucking thing that matters? They seem to be giving it way too much spotlight, having it pollute their previous directs and now we get 38 mins of what many seem to be feeling is...shit.

For a company that does so much right they sure do come up with some humdingers. Give use the fucking main direct already, can't believe they're wasting so much on this crap, yes I know it sells but that's because the Mario/Zelda load was blown too early, no need for us to be spoon fed this crap though.

Sheesh

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we would be as bummed if this wasn't the final character in the pass.

I personally never cared about FE, it's just not for me, but I understand it's a very popular franchise.
But by having every character be a 3rd party up until now, it really just feels like a bait and switch.

Byleth seems to actually have an interesting moveset, even though I couldn't care less... But the design is really not helping. The first impression you get is generic blue haired anime girl/boy with a sword, no matter how weird their moves end up being.

With Smash 4, Corrin was one of the DLC characters but it didn't feel as egregious because they released alongside frickin Bayonetta.

The existence of Character Pass 2 helps but still... The first one ends on a "meh"

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is it me or has Nintendo latched onto Smash like it's the only fucking thing that matters? They seem to be giving it way too much spotlight, having it pollute their previous directs and now we get 38 mins of what many seem to be feeling is...shit.

For a company that does so much right they sure do come up with some humdingers. Give use the fucking main direct already, can't believe they're wasting so much on this crap, yes I know it sells but that's because the Mario/Zelda load was blown too early, no need for us to be spoon fed this crap though.

Sheesh
You dont have to watch the smash direct my man,

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sheesh

i agree.. wtf is this shit.. enough already - why 38 minutes about a new charactee in a fighting game??