• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they could've handled that worse. All that build-up just for another Fire Emblem protagonist. A strange sidetrack-filled presentation filmed almost two months ago that explained Fire Emblem to Smash fans? A switching weapons mechanic which might've been more interesting applied to another character (such as... a Monster Hunter?). The only major character of the Fighter's Pass that wasn't a major 3rd Party addition. No hints of any of the fighters in the second pack, even though, to their own word, those fighters are already decided (and they want people to drop money on it blind, right after what happened with this last reveal). And they even 1 More Thing'd... for some rambling sales talk?

I don't think I'd have been upset if this was part of Pack 2, but it was a BAD idea to make it the last part of Pack 1.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sincerely trying to picture how was the meeting they had to decide the inclusion of this character.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are insane. Fire Emblem has been a pillar for Nintendo since the 80's, nearly as long as Mario or Kirby, y'all act like it's some niche series or something and then turn around and think Rex and Pyra should be in instead even though that's a vastly more niche franchise. I will agree that the saturation of FE characters is a little much, but at least it looks like Byleth is going to be playing differently than the other sword characters. Give it a chance before you scream at Sakurai.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but people could really take a bit of courtesy from the Pokémon crowd's ethic that every Pokémon is somebody's favourite.

SSBU is tremendous but the majority of the newcomers have totally whiffed for me in terms of stirring up the excitement that others felt over Banjo. If we're talking about the characters just as characters (and not how well they play as fighters in the game, because most of these designs have been terrific), the newcomer roster has given me very little. The most exciting announcement for me was arguably Piranha Plant.

Byleth was far down my list and I would have preferred any of the lords, or other first-party picks from the 2010s to rescue the likes of Wonder-Red from obscurity—but I was desperate to see more FE in the mix, and you're damn right I'll take Byleth.

FE has always deserved the royal treatment of a top-tier Nintendo series, and I will always have the utmost respect for Sakurai for almost single-handedly making it so.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I was more pleased with Three Houses than Pokemon Sword and Shield but I would have much preferred Rillaboom to a new Fire Emblem character.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai drops the least wanted character, leads with "What is Fire Emblem?", and then starts counting all the games in binary.

If this is not BIG DICK ENERGY I don't know what is

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm so happy to skipped the fighters pack and just bought Banjo. Might add Terry as well but the rest...

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why.. just why... Is this a Smash game with FE characters, or an FE game tarnished as a Smash game?

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Want my money back. This sucks!

Actually I don't care. Happy for Fire Emblem and Smash fans. Generally I feel indifferent towards Fire Emblem although I'm not a fan of their 1000 year old pre teen looking dragon characters.

But I was certainly expecting something from Capcom or some property that Nintendo doesn't own.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I'm saying this, but people could really take a bit of courtesy from the Pokémon crowd's ethic that every Pokémon is somebody's favourite.

SSBU is tremendous but the majority of the newcomers have totally whiffed for me in terms of stirring up the excitement that others felt over Banjo. If we're talking about the characters just as characters (and not how well they play as fighters in the game, because most of these designs have been terrific), the newcomer roster has given me very little. The most exciting announcement for me was arguably Piranha Plant.

Byleth was far down my list and I would have preferred any of the lords, or other first-party picks from the 2010s to rescue the likes of Wonder-Red from obscurity—but I was desperate to see more FE in the mix, and you're damn right I'll take Byleth.

FE has always deserved the royal treatment of a top-tier Nintendo series, and I will always have the utmost respect for Sakurai for almost single-handedly making it so.

The logic doesn't really work out though. No other series except pokemon (and that's only because of pokemons sheer stupid success) should be expected to get a new entrant from each entry. Like, maybe if Zelda got Midna, Fi, one of the BOTW heroes to also represent each of their most recent games in each new smash after Melee you could make that argument, but it's so clearly Sakurais (yes, even if he says otherwise about him being involved in the decision making) preference to keep adding Fire Emblem characters than anything about a franchise being important to Nintendo or not.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
User banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
There were jokes.
But I'm enjoying waking up to this salt.
I'm down for fembyleth

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth looks fun as hell to play and I'm really excited for the 28th!

I hope the next fighters pass has characters for everyone, cause I understand how ending on FE is pretty underwhelming.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sakurai say he got to play Three Houses early? He probably really liked what he saw of the game at the time of development and said "I want them in my game." Doesn't seem that far fetched.

I took it to mean that Nintendo decided on Byleth early on and gave Sakurai an early copy so he could get to know the character/game.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
There has to be a Sword/Shield character in FP2. Has to be.
812.png

The triangle will be completed.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I love Fire Emblem, Three Houses is my favorite in the series, I regularly use all the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, and I'll probably get a lot of mileage out of Byleth as well.

And even I think this is going overboard with FE.

The pack looks pretty good as a whole, though. I'm looking forward to adding the music into the rotation in particular.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Another Fire Emblem character. At which point do they just make a Smash game with only FE characters.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When did people turn on Corrin? I remember once his dragon powers were revealed most people were pretty hype.
Out of the new games, Fates is probably the weakest overall, ESPECIALLY story wise. So having Corrin make it in now in hindsight is kinda "meh", especially with the 3DS FE games now having 4 representatives. Pure advertisement for a game that wasn't out in the West at that point. I would have just stuck with Robin and Lucina.

Corrin's moveset is interesting enough, though lol at them having the standard FE counter.

Not really thrilled at Byleth, but they have the most interesting FE moveset now. Robin is second.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Still people shouldn't be mad at Sakurai for this. He's putting effort, if anything, blame Nintendo directly for their choices of DLC.

Don't be like some assholes mass downvoting something or harassing Sakurai on Twitter.