• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Time to buy Three Houses if y'all haven't... As a FE stan, I'm disappointed but I'll get over it by the time I wake up tomorrow. At least there's six more characters coming up and considering what Sakurai has already done (Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo), I guess we can take a not-so-great addition.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah now I'm just gonna wait til all 6 fighters are revealed for DLC pass 2. I think a lot will do the same now.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So this is the first time I'm actually disappointed at a character reveal. But hey, we get 6 more. Sakurai with the 3 finger troll definitely had me in my Sora bag heavy. Kinda glad it wasn't Dante tho. Blythe looks insane tbh. Definitely picking a counter character or a space animal to deal with him.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually quite happy. Three Houses was the best game that came out last year for me, so getting a character from 3 Houses is awesome, we get a sweet stage and that soundtrack. Only things I would have tweaked would be putting Bernie in as one of the background characters, and character alts 7 and 8 should have had the Enlightened One costume.

Fire Emblem is one of Nintendo's top tier franchises so it deserves all the Smash love.

OneSneakyBob

Nov 19, 2019
The one good thing about Byleth is now we know both first and third party is on the table, which should make FP2 predictions a lot more fun.

EDIT: Whoops, thought I posted in the speculation thread. My bad. Guess I'll properly contribute by saying I'm disappointed, but congrats to 3 Houses fans who wanted this.

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Some of the most famous video game characters of their generation representing some big franchises that are important either to nintendo or gaming in general and then ....the 9th fire emblem character

sakurai literally hyped the fighter pass to end on a high note and blew it

After the last base game reveals were Incineroar and Ken (followed by the Piranha Plant bonus DLC) I don't see why people thought the last DLC character had to be something really big. Sakurai really doesn't have any history of leaving the biggest reveal for last.

I guess you could count Bayoneta in the Wii U/3ds's DLC, since she was the (realizable) ballot winner, but even then that's mostly logistics.

But man, it's kind of amazing the entire pass except Terry and Banjo is zero-personality cipher characters.

I think that makes sense with Smash's structure. The game is bad at really portraying characters that need dialogue to stand out due to no intros or dialogue in battle outside of the unpractical special taunts - see the Uprising crew - and those are Sakurai's own characters. Someone like Snake works just because his overall military look and heavy physics make him stand out in Smash even when he's showing no real personality.

Nov 15, 2018
Some of you are insane. Fire Emblem has been a pillar for Nintendo since the 80's, nearly as long as Mario or Kirby, y'all act like it's some niche series or something and then turn around and think Rex and Pyra should be in instead even though that's a vastly more niche franchise. I will agree that the saturation of FE characters is a little much, but at least it looks like Byleth is going to be playing differently than the other sword characters. Give it a chance before you scream at Sakurai.

I've never asked for rex or pyra, nor screamed at sakurai. Fire emblem being around for a long time doesn't mean much when it was about to be cancelled for poor sales just 7 years ago. It's simply not deserving of the same amount of characters as Mario and Pokemon. Compared to those 2, Fire emblem as a series worldwide is nothing, yet is getting equal representation in Smash.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
they really did a livestream to announce they're adding the 18th generic anime swordboy to Smash... it's beyond parody! i'm laughing my ass off dude. sakurai is a master troll.

Nah. Byleth uses several of the Hero Relics from the game, so not just another generic anime sword boy. BUT, yes another Fire Emblem representative so now it's up to 8. Hope it stops there.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
Smash bros actively makes me dislike fire emblem as a franchise. I say that as someone who enjoyed the 3ds games and three houses

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
The thing is, he even said he had to play an early build of 3 houses otherwise itd be delayed. Its a safer bet to go with the actual main character over one of the 3 house leaders, especially before the game launched and people picked a side. Now I would have preferred Edelgard too but Byleth is not just generic anime swords. Hell, Sothis even memed it in the trailer!

You guys are so salty despite the fact that 6 more fighters were just announced. Maybe your goku/dante/master chief/any other ridiculous guesses will show up there. I'm actually glad at least one of the new characters was Nintendo, not a 3rd party.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Happy to see Three Houses represented and it seems to me most of the comments around "who is this" are ridiculously disingenuous.

Nov 17, 2017
I also feel bad for Rex fans. Sakurai says they couldn't add him in because his game was too late, well now, didn't stop you from adding in Byleth.
Haha I didn't even think of that. I remember Sakurai was really gushing about Xenoblade 2 as well. I guess no matter how much Sakurai loves a game, it'll never top Fire Emblem for him.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than dante, plus they can use all the weapons! I'm hyped
They can use multiple weapons so they're basically Dante. DMC fans rejoice!

Oct 25, 2017
1579186659424.jpg

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who loves Fire Emblem, even I think the amount of characters in Smash is getting out of hand.

On the flip side, I love watching the meltdowns!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would also like to point out that with the addition of Byleth, Fire Emblem has as many characters as the Mario series (proper, not counting extended series, and also not counting Daisy cause she literally is just a glorified costume with 0 gameplay differences to Peach, as they patched out that one difference they had), and the only series beating FE in numbers now being Pokemon - and that also only if you count Pokemon Trainer as 3 movesets.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Three Houses so I'm okay with this and it's clear that Sakurai loves Fire Emblem. Every other DLC character pick was wild, let the man have one for himself. 6 new characters for Fighter Pass 2 means others still have a chance.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
Daily question - did anyone really expect either Edelgard or a combination of all 3 in 1 pack? Doing the former will alienate people who preferred the other 2 routes, and the latter will take up too much time. So what's the point?

maxxatom

Nov 6, 2017
Kansas City
I'm so excited. They look like they have a really fun move set and somehow look better than their actual in-game models. I was really nervous we were getting Dante so I'm glad that was quashed.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
His character intro should've said:

"At least it's not Steve"

I'm so excited. They look like they have a really fun move set and somehow look better than their actual in-game models. I was really nervous we were getting Dante so I'm glad that was quashed.
Hardly an achievement, those 3d models are god awful. My only complaint of FE 3H is how ugly it is, and how bad it runs for a first party game

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
x3LJlkN.png

Everyone is making it sound like Fire Emblem Characters aren't some of the most played and popular characters in the game.

All of them are within the Top 30. More people will enjoy playing Byleth than another Pokemon character or obscure Japanese RPG character number 5.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, Byleth! LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nice to see the Fighters Pass end on a character I like.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Wow if this is how this site is reacting can't wait to visit the character specific forums on Smash Boards!

Cool moves from a very *yawn* character to me. But I still got Ridley, Donkey Kong and Bowser. Just give me that Dixie Kong Sakurai and I'll never ask for anything again! At least for a while.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool how they threw all preconceptions out of the window by announcing Joker first, so people set all these wild crazy expectations for what the other characters could be

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
While annoying we have another Fire Emblem rep Byleth actually looks like a fun character to play.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Doing FE main characters is literally the worst option they could go for, as they have no personality whatsoever. Sothis would have been much better, with some kind of time based mechanic.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Some of you are insane. Fire Emblem has been a pillar for Nintendo since the 80's, nearly as long as Mario or Kirby, y'all act like it's some niche series or something and then turn around and think Rex and Pyra should be in instead even though that's a vastly more niche franchise. I will agree that the saturation of FE characters is a little much, but at least it looks like Byleth is going to be playing differently than the other sword characters. Give it a chance before you scream at Sakurai.
It's kind of funny you using Kirby as an example, because not only it has 3 characters which is less than half of FireEmblem but also even though Sakurai is the creator of the series he refuses to use anything that is not from his games

Last edited:

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
User banned (three days): ignoring staff post
Now I drink saltiest tear of Smash Fandom.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a FE fan really but I'm fine with this DLC. If it was the last DLC period it'd be dreadful, but the announcement of 6 more fighters on the way is solid, and I really like the look of the stage, even if it looks functionally a bit boring.

I wish the Altair costume came with music, though

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
A whopping 26 pages worth of meltdowns for me to go through?! Gonna be a nice afternoon.

Seriously though, Byleth looks better than expected. But that's the greatness of Sakurai. Can't wait to try him/her out. Season 2 will hopefully have more female characters!

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Edelgard, Petra, and Dorothea in the reception hall...glad Sakurai chose the three best queens in BE house

grizzmo

Oct 31, 2017
Not super hyped about Byleth for the obvious reasons, but they look fun to play and the soundtrack was rad. Really liked most of the Fighters Pass, it just came out way too strong and kinda fizzled out in the end.

Funny that a Three Houses rep seemed super likely, almost expected back when they announced the Fighters Pass to coincide with the game's release. If they swapped Banjo with Byleth in the release schedule, I don't think there'd be as much disappointment. It also wouldn't have set the expectation of all the DLC characters being third party.

But yay Cuphead!

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled. There's nothing wrong with Fire Emblem, I just don't understand why they feel the need to jam a character from each new game into Smash.

Why?