• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Since Nintendo already has my money I'm gonna hit them where it really hurts: the broken heart "oh" on the Switch news feed.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how long it takes for Sakurai to develop Smash characters, but Three Houses did release around six months ago, so it's not unreasonable to assume that the decision was made after Three Houses blew up.

He admitted during the direct he got to play three houses before release so that he could work out how to develop byleth. So we know for a fact that he decided on it before the game came out.

Deleted member 22465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry but Sothis or Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude with a Pokemon trainer setup would have been a thousand times better than Byleth.

Although Byleth is still better than the player-paid marketing promotion they pulled with joker...

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth wasn't my first choice but their multiple weapon thing is really cool. I liked Three Houses so I'm okay with this pick. Very solid first pass all-around in my book. All of the choices were from something I played so that was a personal treat.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
people are legit depressed about the last character ITT lmao

Some of the most famous video game characters of their generation representing some big franchises that are important either to nintendo or gaming in general and then ....the 9th fire emblem character

sakurai literally hyped the fighter pass to end on a high note and blew it

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan and Three Houses is my favourite game in the series in over 10 years and my GOTY.

Byleth is a terrible, boring choice and giving them the weapons of the OTHER characters to make them interesting is confounding.

The problem with FE in Smash isn't the amount of characters, it's the uninspired choices.

Adding Lucina as a Marth expy when Robin was already enough for Smash 4.

Adding Corrin, another sword fighter, instead of Azura, who uses a lance and water bending abilities.

Adding Chrom as another Marth expy (with Ike's recovery wow) when Lucina already did that and everyone had moved on from that game.

Now adding Byleth instead of, as the video itself points out, the highly plot important and unique Edelgard, who not only looks different from the blue haired sword fighters, but also would have been a heavyweight female fighter.

I'm sorry, but after Marth, Roy, and Ike all having swords, the priority should have been creating a diverse line-up of FE characters, not boring swordsmen the fanbase generally doesn't even like. Chrom isn't even among the most popular characters from his game, Corrin is universally disliked, and Byleth is much less popular than the house leaders.

...at least the stage looks great and the music selection does too.

It's such a shame because even as a huge FE fan I can't get excited for more FE content in Smash anymore. The wrong characters always get picked over more interesting options.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling. Ignoring staff post
EOaRCmgWoAIPLXg

"HOES MAD" Trending on Twitter lmao

Oct 25, 2017
I also feel bad for Rex fans. Sakurai says they couldn't add him in because his game was too late, well now, didn't stop you from adding in Byleth.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I like Fire Emblem, but for Nintendo standards, this is scraping down the barrel. Not a surprise, considering a big part of what's new in this Season Pass or the base game comes from third parties.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take this any day over stuff like Dante or Doomguy. The moves look neat and I like Smash Characters to have a history with Nintendo. I'm digging a lot of the mii costumes too, Cuphead pretty much just looks like actual Cuphead.

Overall I'm happy with the fighter pack, especially since I got it for something like $17. Bring on the second.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Sakurai really does what he wants lmao
Byleth looks good, excited to try him out
Cuphead costume is awesome, the Ubi stuff is sort of unexpected, guess Rayman is in FP2 then??
FP2 is crazy, 6 fighters this time, the hype train will never end will it

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As a fire emblem fan, not complaining. For those that are complaining about getting it as part of the pass, isn't that part of the gamble of buying a season pass before knowing what everything is in it?
It's going to make people weary of getting pass 2. I see way less pre sales coming.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I love 3H
but this is kinda boring

BUT the stage and music are both great so its alright. and the fact that there's still 6 characters left means it doesnt bother me

Oct 27, 2017
I get ppl's outrage I guess but if they're doing even more DLC fighters after this (aren't they?) then we will still get more characters.

Three Houses was my GOTY last year so this is good news for me. Can't wait to play as Byleth imo. Yes, I know it's another sword based fighter, idk I'm fine with it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Some of the most famous video game characters of their generation representing some big franchises that are important either to nintendo or gaming in general and then ....the 9th fire emblem character

sakurai literally hyped the fighter pass to end on a high note and blew it
How is Joker more important than Byleth

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Blyeth looks very OP. I love the stage though.
He/She actually doesn't seem that good. Exploitable recovery, slow frame data, slow movement (being compared to Robin is not good), and apparently bad throws can be rather crippling to a character's viability.

Byleth has range and kill power, but so does Hero and he's barely mid-tier.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Even loving FE and Three Houses, I'm not too excited by this. Real loss is the lack of any remixes outside of the boring vocal theme *yawn.* I literally felt more joy from that single "Includes Music Track" label for the Cuphead Mii Costume than a character from my GOTY...

Probably won't pick this up, at least not until the next fighter pack that interests me.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I'm hoping they do a third fighter pass leading into Feb 2023, then port Ultimate with all DLC to Switch 2 and continue from there. Unless the Switch 2 is launching 2022/Spring 2023, then they could just port after pass 2 and continue from there.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
The character choice is fine/looks fun to play, but following up 4 guest characters with this probably wasn't "wise" if Nintendo wanted positive reactions to the reveal for the reasons we're seeing in this thread/on other social platforms. At least they announced 6 more character slots.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I wish Sakurai loved Zelda as much as he loves FE....

But I'm not too hung up about Byleth being chosen, we've already gotten so much in this game.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
My friend sent me a rumor like a month ago saying it would be Sora, and I told him it would just be another blue haired Fire Emblem character. Nailed it!

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
So much salt here. Sakurai worked his ass off on this game and it literally is overflowing with content. People wouldn't be satisfied no matter who the character was. You got Banjo, give it a rest.