• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Sakurai didn't know the game would had been successful or not when he decided on another Fire Emblem character.

It was all speculated/assumed.

I guess it's cool knowing time isn't a huge factor with his decisions if he can pull stunts like this. Now my wishing for recent games can't be unfounded by "that game just came out".

Officer Howard can make it in <3
I'm not sure how long it takes for Sakurai to develop Smash characters, but Three Houses did release around six months ago, so it's not unreasonable to assume that the decision was made after Three Houses blew up.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Another Fire Emblem character??? Really? So many interesting characters they could pick from other franchises. So disappointing.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love byleth and three houses, but eh. She looks fun enough to play so I'll give her a try but that stage is super boring looking lol. Pumped for the new songs though

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope every learns that you shouldn't spend a disproportionate amount of time thinking about Smash DLC and that at the end of the day it's just video games.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
*me not understanding fire emblem'

"Hey, at least fire emblem fans are hyped"

*sees all my fire emblem friends angry at this*

"Okay, nevermind"

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BYLETH WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Glad we got another FE character in Smash!!!! May many more join in its future!!!!!!

Joker, Banjo, and Byleth are all AMAZING picks which makes up for me not at all liking Piranha Plant, Hero, and Terry.
50% ain't bad when the good half is INCREDIBLE
It's more like 80% is incredible and than we have Byleth.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
For a second I was excited they were going to announce ports of some of the older FE games but no just another Blue Haired Fire Emblemer

Too many FE and Pokemon characters damn it

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Byleth looks pretty neat. A tad underwhelming but I was actually hoping for a Three Houses rep of some kind. At least they don't have Marth's moveset.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
A couple days ago I joked about the character being Byleth and I'm legitimately shocked that ended up being the case.

This is actually the character from the pass I'm most excited for, Three Houses was my favorite game last year and I actually started my second play through last week. For what it's worth, Sakurai has filled the character and stage with so much passion and it's really fun to see. And I'm glad we actually got a Nintendo character in the pass after four 3rd party reps in a row.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What an awful way to end the season pass. Pretty disappointed, but Byleth does look pretty neat, I guess.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
People here are saying "I won't be fooled again, Sakurai, I'm not getting the second Fighters Pass" when he literally just said don't buy these passes if you're not okay with not knowing who any of them are yet (and probably back when the first pass was announced by him too).

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai knew he'd make people mad if he picked Edelgard so instead he picked Edelgard's wife. Understandable choice.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Just woke up, read the thread title and legit said 'who?' to myself...I'm not even mad I think it's hilarious.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Would've preferred Edelgard or really any of the house leaders, but I like what they've done with Byleth.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is no reason for fire Emblem to have an equal if not more characters than Mario and Pokemon. It is such a minor part of Nintendos history in comparison. Sales are still low compared to so many more deserving first party titles.
Some of you are insane. Fire Emblem has been a pillar for Nintendo since the 80's, nearly as long as Mario or Kirby, y'all act like it's some niche series or something and then turn around and think Rex and Pyra should be in instead even though that's a vastly more niche franchise. I will agree that the saturation of FE characters is a little much, but at least it looks like Byleth is going to be playing differently than the other sword characters. Give it a chance before you scream at Sakurai.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thank god underrated niche gem franchise Fire Emblem is getting some much needed representation in Smash.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem doesn't have a Mario or Link that appears in every game, which is why it makes sense to have so many characters.

Byleth looks to play nothing like the other FE characters. I'm excited for this.

I do agree it's not a groundbreaking reveal like Joker, but I think it's cool. We also have SIX MORE FIGHTERS!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I do have to say.

Did y'all saying too much fire emblem think we just... weren't going to get anyone from Three Houses in general? Like that was not going to happen lol

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I was telling my co-worker it would be hilarious if Byleth got added, but I never expected it to happen. I am pretty happy selfishly, although I know a lot of people are disappointed. That said, the saltiness is still hilarious XD

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hope every learns that you shouldn't spend a disproportionate amount of time thinking about Smash DLC and that at the end of the day it's just video games.

I'm just gonna completely ignore Fighter Pass 2 now. I was calling this pass as disappointment from minute one, and outside of Terry being a pleasant surprise I ended up being right.

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah outside of Banjo the DLC fighters have been disappointing.

Hopefully some more exciting choices for the second DLC group.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how long it takes for Sakurai to develop Smash characters, but Three Houses did release around six months ago, so it's not unreasonable to assume that the decision was made after Three Houses blew up.
He told everyone he literally got a super early copy of the game when he decided on the character.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Sskurai is a big fan

Thazzit
Fire Emblem is growing in sales, but the representation in Smash is mostly likely due to Sakurai himself. It's barely featured in general Nintendo promotion outside of Smash (partially because it's not even fully Nintendo owned).

That explains a lot, can't blame him since he deserves to have what he wants but I think it is just too much.

Three Houses probably sold close to 3 million at this point

Oh wow, that's a lot, I kinda want to buy it but I'm not really into turn based combat, only one I like is Disgaea.

Oct 25, 2017
A couple days ago I joked about the character being Byleth and I'm legitimately shocked that ended up being the case.

This is actually the character from the pass I'm most excited for, Three Houses was my favorite game last year and I actually started my second play through last week. For what it's worth, Sakurai has filled the character and stage with so much passion and it's really fun to see. And I'm glad we actually got a Nintendo character in the pass after four 3rd party reps in a row.

Ditto to everything here (although my next playthrough will be my third).

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Rayman
Dante
[Insert Xenoblade character here]
[Insert Pokemon Sword/Shield here]
Doomguy
Sora

There's my 6 characters.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I dig the move set. I actually don't play as any of the fire emblem characters so this might actually be the one I pick up. That super arrow is intriguing.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
people are legit depressed about the last character ITT lmao

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So happy it wasn't Dante, wish I could have seen some people's faces who were so convinced it was gonna be him.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
As a fire emblem fan, not complaining. For those that are complaining about getting it as part of the pass, isn't that part of the gamble of buying a season pass before knowing what everything is in it?