• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I'm surprised he didn't attempt to implement Byleth's time rewind powers. Like maybe when he's knocked offstage he could rewind himself back onto the stage. It would have to have limited uses, of course.

At any rate, wielding the various Hero's Relics is cool. But, uh, yeah, this smacks of self-indulgence, lol.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
They have already said they know the characters, so what would be so wrong with them announcing them when they are trying to sell the pass?
Because it's six more easy marketing, hype moments that will sell more over 2 years than dumping the info now. Don't you see the madness on the internet each and every time Smash is mentioned?

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
People say this like lances and axes aren't functionally just different shapes swords in a 2D fighting game like this
yes, but, the way a weapon looks, and the way it's handled and animated goes a long way in selling the "feel" even if they do all end up functionally similar. Extreme example but you wouldn't say banjo's fsmash is "functionally a sword"

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
User Banned (3 days): trolling, ignoring staff post
U4z3gH.gif

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly, Byleth is probably the second-most mechanically interesting FE character after Robin. At least it's not JUST a swordsman.

Still would have preferred Claude, but he clearly listened to feedback. That's a minor win.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Given spoilers, he is whitewashed as heck.

I know what you're referring to but I don't really understand how that related to white washing. In the game he's more tanned than the others but to me, still looks pretty fucking white. Which is actually what disappointed me when you find out about what you're referring to. He should have been darker.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Byleth looked amazing and I am very happy they're adding in Three Houses music! Some of you need to be chill and be greatful that Sakurai gave us a great fighters pass, and now six more even fighter are coming in the second fighter's pass.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Now it makes more sense why this wasn't in a general Direct. Because this character is effing lame.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I'm personally cool with this cause I love FE but at the same time, people paid for this so I understand why people aren't happy. 5.99 for a Nintendo character seems...should have just been a free bonus addition. Also odd considering every other character was 3rd Party. Regardless, all this further confirms to me is that Sakurai REALLY loves Fire Emblem, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see yet another FE character in the second pass.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Byleth wouldn't have been my first choice for a Three Houses character, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy we're back to first party characters! :D

I hope all six in pass two are purely Nintendo characters.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
They have already said they know the characters, so what would be so wrong with them announcing them when they are trying to sell the pass?

You ask this in a thread about the presentation of a single DLC Fighter? A stream that was watched by more than 300k in the US steam alone? Really? ... Really?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
While the FE Character reveal SUCKED SO MUCH, the Fighters Pass 2 and Mii Costumes were delightful announcements. Man, Now every single batch of Mii Costumes is gonna feel special, so excited to see more "indie" representation in there.

Also, LOL at the fact that the first Mii Costume was shown as "Altair" because Nintendo doesn't want to show the word "Assassin's" on Smash.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool moveset wise - still need to play Three Houses so appreciated Sakurai avoiding a spoiler.

Cuphead skin looks great too.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
"We disappointed you with the last character of the first pass (maybe with some other too), so please buy the second one where you buy the pig in a poke again."

At least it gets more support, that's something I like, even if mostly disappointing, more content is always cool.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hmmm, Byleth isn't as exciting on paper compared to these other 3rd party fighters, but they operate how I would imagine a Monster Hunter character would play in Smash.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
At least we got Terry and Banjo out of this...

Guess I won't pre-purchase the next Fighters Pass like I did with this one. I honestly did not expect them to end it with such an underwhelming character.

Oct 25, 2017
yup turned it off, never mind. 2/5 for me in the season pass.
+Terry
+Banjo
-anime swordsman
-anime swordsman
-anime swordsman

yaawn, maybe ill just pick them up individually next time instead of the season pass.

Yeah, this is why I didn't buy the season pass. I didn't trust Ninty to do anything but spam generic JRPG characters.

I bought Banjo and Terry individually and feel good about it.

Happy for the people that enjoy those Fire Emblem games though.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
What happened with the stream? It just cut off fro me and now it's saying that the video is private?

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Could it be that once they announced that there would be more fighters coming after Fighter Pass #1 that they shuffled out a 3rd party character so they would have something bigger for the 2nd pass? And thus we now end with Byleth.

Either way I has a feeling it was going to be a Nintendo character just never would've picked that one.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
We could have had an interesting 1st party newcomer like the Astral Chain protagonist or Ring Fit Adventurer. I would have even taken another Pokémon.

But we had to get Byleth.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
God damn this feels good. I get more Fire Emblem and months later that shitty voice actor for the MC still doesn't get into smash. Feels damn good right now

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
You're missing the point...
don't think I am.

If character choice is a make or break for you...then wait and see who the characters are. You don;'t have to buy it right away. I bought the first pass when Joker was revealed...and because I enjoy the game and new characters is fun regardless of where they came from. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't have bought the pass. This idea that companies are your friend and will do the best for you is not realistic. They want your money. and a good way to get that is via surprise. Not to mention Smash reveals is good press regardless of the choice. So yeah they will keep it a secret for now. You as a consumer has to decide if that is enough for you to buy in or not. Its really not that hard.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It changes the media cycle of promoting the characters by bringing it to a standstill, makes ppl harass the devs to get the releases quicker, or when the char they want is not released first etc.
It would be nice, true, but it does comes with issues on its own.