• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Posting guidelines

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
Cut it out with the drive-by posts. It's ok to be disappointed in the new Smash character, and we encourage discussion. However, drive-by posts simply saying that you're just here to see people upset are not conducive to the conversation and will be receiving moderation action going forward.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
User banned (5 days): Trolling over a series of posts. History of similar behavior.
Sakurai just lost all legitimacy as a game developer. His career was so promising and he literally just threw it away. Makes me really sad cause I had faith in him before this.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
for every 4 new franchises sakurai takes his cut and gets to destroy himself to add another fire emblem character

Sakurai just lost all legitimacy as a game developer. His career was so promising and he literally just threw it away. Makes me really sad cause I had faith in him before this.

i don't know if you know much about japanese culture (i'm an expert) but sakurai just shot himsel

Feb 5, 2018
Im okay with the choice, I just dont understand why Reggie Mentioned each fighter would be from a franchise not represented before AND Sakurai said he wants new worlds to be represented.

Thats why im assuming the original DLC 5 got pushed back mid development and is actually DLC 6 now. Thats how im going to take it anyway

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
I was really hoping they would redesign F!yleth and make her look not awful like they did with F!Corrin. I know she would take more work but still.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Byleth is great, you guys need to calm down lol.

I don't think you understand. There are nearly as many Fire Emblem characters as there are GAMES. There's so god damn many. Character looks boring to play, we miss out on other franchises music being remixed, "Sword" fighter. Fire Emblem is overplayed to SHIT in Smash. Why the secrecy? Probably because no one wanted this. Not even Nintendo employees lol

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I like Three Houses a ton but this is just... disappointing. I thought it was going to be a fake out.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there´s going to be another FE and another fighter from that game in season 2.
Just so the little children can get more mad.

Character seems cool though as a fighter.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Moveset looks awesome though.

The dream lives on for Fighter Pass 2 my boy, see you there...

tenor.gif

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I seriously can't think of a less exciting choice in all of gaming than another bland Fire Emblem character

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Would you be able to explain why without spoiling the game? I have never extensively played a Fire Emblem title, but I'm trying to look at this with some optimism. I had figured that the developing vitriol among those watching the stream was just because there is already an abundance of fighters from the series.
Another sword Lord basically. People would have preferred one of the three main characters, who are not sword lords.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Would you be able to explain why without spoiling the game? I have never extensively played a Fire Emblem title, but I'm trying to look at this with some optimism. I had figured that the developing vitriol among those watching the stream was just because there is already an abundance of fighters from the series.
There are just more interesting characters. Namely the 3 house leaders. Byleth is a blank, boring slate whereas the others have a personality behind them.

Cobra

Mar 2, 2019
It's funny how Cassandra Morris(Morgana, Sothis) introduced two characters from different series(Persona, Three Houses). I'm excited, I know some aren't, because they were expecting someone else.

Edit: I was also expecting if they were doing this it would be similiar to how pokemon master is where you'd summon the other heroes.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that I remember when this dlc pack was first announced everyone just kind of assumed this (FE three houses rep) would happen and now everyone is mad when it actually did

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say, I really hope they get a fair bit of music. I wanna hear my totally out of place dubstep (Area... something, Redux). I want my Gronder Field Theme. I want God Shattering Star and Apex of the World. I don't want just two or three mixes of main theme, a standard map battle theme. Give us closer to the Terry treatment. 👀

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking seriously?

Awful choice holy shit. Who wanted this? Like even from Three Houses they choose the shitty self insert protagonist? What.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
For as much as I think this is a wack pick (And this is coming from a huge Fire Emblem and Three Houses fan), he/she does look good and that music... whew boy.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
I don't think you understand. There are nearly as many Fire Emblem characters as there are GAMES. There's so god damn many. Character looks boring to play, we miss out on other franchises music being remixed, "Sword" fighter. Fire Emblem is overplayed to SHIT in Smash. Why the secrecy? Probably because no one wanted this. Not even Nintendo employees lol

Probably put it out BEFORE the Direct so the Direct wouldn't have a downer.

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've got to admit that I honestly thought I was above getting angry about videogame announcements, but gotta give props to Sakurai, I'm so incredibly disappointed by this reveal that it pisses me off.

Why you gotta do me like that, papa Sakurai?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I would be totally ok if Sakurai develops a Smash spin-off filled with FE characters just to satisfy that fandom and leave the original some room.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Sakurai in the Terry direct: "We hope to keep adding more universes to Smash"

Sakurai 3 months later: "Just fucking kidding! It's the same universe for the 10th time"

I'm still happy with the overall quality of the pass, and bear no ill will towards Sakurai, the Smash team, or anyone at Nintendo for this. But god DAMN am I beyond disappointed. This was all I had to look forward to today.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Hi I just got to my desk at work and I wanted to put my two cents in:

they could not have picked a more boring character

Like seriously when I checked twitter I thought people were joking.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if Byleth filled the role of a Pokemon Trainer-type character. Byleth would be a tactician like in the game. They would command Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude and they would work like how Pokemon Trainer commands their Pokemon.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): Ignoring staff post
Never played smash before and no intention to play it either. But I follow news either way… for some reason also disappointed. I've never even heard of this character.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Byleth's own unique class lets them use magic. 3Hs unique mechanics include combat arts, gambits and divine pulse. We don't have a FE character that use items outside weapons and tomes.

I'm actually OK with Byleth making it into the game, but this is the most generic, boring way to implement that character.

Nov 15, 2018
There is no reason for fire Emblem to have an equal if not more characters than Mario and Pokemon. It is such a minor part of Nintendos history in comparison. Sales are still low compared to so many more deserving first party titles.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, at least the stage looks amazing. No idea how transitions will work, but they really make the art and effects pop.

In general the design seems much better then the one of the original game.