• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Like, I get that something like this takes time, but it is extremely frustrating knowing that it'll continue being on the backburner until at least 2024, and it's possible that it'll be ignored for...bigger things.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
The title of the article is making me think more about how much of this country did Trump manage to fuck up before leaving, as opposed to trying to frame Biden as being slow.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easier to destroy than to build.
The cherry on top is the selective interpretation democrats can never get anything done. (Because they're being blocked by the GOP and having to rebuild destroyed elements from scratch constantly which is a much harder processes as you said)

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
d09q0x9ekww11.jpg

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easier to destroy than to build.
This comment and all of the replies are so weird. There's already bureaucratic infrastructure for nominating and confirming FCC positions.

Biden isn't nominating fast enough and the Senate Commerce Committee (guess who controls that), isn't fast tracking these nominations. They're not reinventing the wheel, they're supposed to be fulfilling the basic requirements of their job. Whats with this framing that they're doing anything extraordinary that they need to be given grace for the present situation.

The real answer to all of this is that the FCC is not a Democratic priority.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, the Biden admin has not shown the FCC to be a priority. They didn't nominate someone til November/December, I believe.

DeJoy is still in charge of the USPS as well.
Yeah, this is killing me. I know the board of governors probably are slow as molasses but we theoretically have the numbers, I want him out on his ass already. Would have been a great Xmas present for him and america

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Worth reminding that Dems had to be dragged kicking and screaming to net neutrality to begin with.

They're in bed with telecoms (and every other big conglomerate and monopoly) every bit as much as the republicans are, they're just at the disadvantage of having to pretend that they're not.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Many Dems secretly support ICE and deportations. Otherwise they are too cowardly to do what Trump did and intentionally try to destroy and organization from within by appointing people opposed to it's existence to run it.

It's not a secret that the Dems and Liberals support ICE and deportations. The vast majority are even okay with Biden continuing to use Title 42.

Notice how much of the outrage of kids in cages has stopped since Biden has been elected?

This comment and all of the replies are so weird. There's already bureaucratic infrastructure for nominating and confirming FCC positions.

Biden isn't nominating fast enough and the Senate Commerce Committee (guess who controls that), isn't fast tracking these nominations. They're not reinventing the wheel, they're supposed to be fulfilling the basic requirements of their job. Whats with this framing that they're doing anything extraordinary that they need to be given grace for the present situation.

The real answer to all of this is that the FCC is not a Democratic priority.

This.

It's not a priority or all the seats would have been confirmed already.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Many Dems secretly support ICE and deportations. Otherwise they are too cowardly to do what Trump did and intentionally try to destroy and organization from within by appointing people opposed to it's existence to run it.

Biden has been deporting/detaining migrants more aggressively than Trump ever did. He has fought in court to defend Trump's deportation policy (not just stay passive about it). So anyone defending him with "easier to destroy than build" needs to explain why he isn't destroying these immigration policies and instead defending them.

www.vera.org

The Biden Administration Is Trying to Speed Up Deportations

President Biden has been in office for more than half a year, giving us greater insight into the likely trajectory of his first term. Biden deserves praise for undoing some of the Trump-era’s most dangerous immigration policies , while setting a more humane tone . But as an immigration lawyer…
www.npr.org

The Biden Administration Is Fighting In Court To Keep A Trump-Era Immigration Policy

A rarely used U.S. code pertaining to public health was invoked during the pandemic by the Trump White House to expel asylum-seekers. The Biden White House wants to keep it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is killing me. I know the board of governors probably are slow as molasses but we theoretically have the numbers, I want him out on his ass already. Would have been a great Xmas present for him and america
It's been fucking shameful how democrats just let Republican destroy the most popular federal agency in the country.
It's going to fuck them in future elections too, Republicans doing it to a large degree as a mean for voter surpression.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's been fucking shameful how democrats just let Republican destroy the most popular federal agency in the country.
It's going to fuck them in future elections too, Republicans doing it to a large degree as a mean for voter surpression.

i know some people living in smaller/more rural areas probably aren't seeing the effects quite as badly considering they probably have a higher ratio of postal workers to routes, but i'm getting all my mail dumped late at night on saturday or sunday ONCE A WEEK at this rate. and this is like first class mail, not junk/flyers.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
Notice how much of the outrage of kids in cages has stopped since Biden has been elected?

Yeah, that's because all of the family separation policies have been ended.

Are you referring to unaccompanied minors being housed in border facilities while awaiting their immigration trials to be "kids in cages"? That's a completely different issue from what the original "kids in cages" debate was about, which was forced family separations as a punitive effort to deter immigration, and conflating them is just right-wing propaganda. Trump summarily deported unaccompanied minors, while the Biden admin lets them stay in the country until their immigration trials.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
You also have to keep in mind that the GOP are essentially a single unit of errand boys for moneyed business interests, and their base doesn't know or care if this country is sold to highest bidder as long as minorities get extra fucked. That's a real recipe for getting shit done.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i know some people living in smaller/more rural areas probably aren't seeing the effects quite as badly considering they probably have a higher ratio of postal workers to routes, but i'm getting all my mail dumped late at night on saturday or sunday ONCE A WEEK at this rate. and this is like first class mail, not junk/flyers.
Yeah, it's absolutely dreadful, and it's destroying the trust in the USPS will push more people toward parcel companies which will only further hurt the postal service.

But that was the goal all alone, fed ex, UPS et al have been bribing the US government to kill the postal office for a while now, and they have been bribing both parties.
Democrats almost ended up phasing out home delivery for mail under Obama.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, that's because all of the family separation policies have been ended.

Are you referring to unaccompanied minors being housed in border facilities while awaiting their immigration trials to be "kids in cages"? That's a completely different issue from what the original "kids in cages" debate was about, which was forced family separations as a punitive effort to deter immigration, and conflating them is just right-wing propaganda. Trump summarily deported unaccompanied minors, while the Biden admin lets them stay in the country until their immigration trials.

It wasn't just family separation that people were talking about with kids in cages. It's disingenuous to say that was all they meant.

Biden is summarily deporting tons of people using the same mechanism Trump did: Title 42.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first year there wasn't covid.

so is your position that the White House and congress did all that was physically possible?

If so, how can you be sure that this was something that could've been done but couldn't for reasons, versus something that could've been done but wasn't?

I want to understand what is informing people's position that there are legitimate reasons why this hasn't been done yet.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I'm just saying that they may have a different list of priorities right now. First 6 months Biden administration had appointed the most judges then any other president during time.

I would like to see FCC and neutrality fixed. Can't do everything at the same time.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just saying that they may have a different list of priorities right now. First 6 months Biden administration had appointed the most judges then any other president during time.

I would like to see FCC and neutrality fixed. Can't do everything at the same time.
Appointing judges mostly takes congress time (and not all that much time, like if you look at how much time the spent on that compared to how much time they were on vacation, it's nothing).
And I would be very surprised if Biden is personally involved in the process of vetting judges to be nominated.

I agree that it's a question of priorities though, and I'd imagine net neutrality is very low on the priority list of this administration, but i'd also imagine it has more to do with silicon valley lobbying (and the fact that this admin is filled with silicon valley people) than lacking time.

Like he had time to bomb Syria.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't just family separation that people were talking about with kids in cages. It's disingenuous to say that was all they meant.

Biden is summarily deporting tons of people using the same mechanism Trump did: Title 42.
Kids in cages doesn't mean kids in cages? so even though the Biden admin has stopped putting kids in cages, that thing that caused the uproar when Trump was in office when they started zero tolerance, it doesn't count?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Kids in cages doesn't mean kids in cages? so even though the Biden admin has stopped putting kids in cages, that thing that caused the uproar when Trump was in office when they started zero tolerance, it doesn't count?

Kids in cages does mean kids in cages, that's my point. Whether they are with family in cages or on their own in cages, they are still in cages.

The Biden admin stopped the family separation policy but didn't stop putting kids in cages.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not saying Biden's living up to his promises on immigration, but he is categorically not doing family separation and all of his policies that result in kids being held in facilities are in accordance with longstanding pre-Trump immigration policies. Suggesting otherwise is what's disingenuous.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'm not saying Biden's living up to his promises on immigration, but he is categorically not doing family separation and all of his policies that result in kids being held in facilities are in accordance with longstanding pre-Trump immigration policies. Suggesting otherwise is what's disingenuous.

I didn't suggest that nor did I say he continued family separations exactly as Trump did. Kids are still in cages even if the way Biden is doing it is how it was done pre-Trump. There's a reason why organizations like RAICES and others are still fighting against the detention.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Leaving a major regulatory agency in effective deadlock because you dont nominate a replacement a whole calendar year after the vacancy happens is not having a different list of priorities, thats saying you dont care about whether or not that agency works or is effective or is carrying out decent policy or oversight at all. It literally took a year for Biden to nominate a replacement for the seat. I just dont see how this is at all a reasonable takeaway.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kids in cages means kids in cages, which we still have in the concentration camps on the border.

www.bostonherald.com

Editorial: Conditions for migrant children no better under Biden

One of the Democratic shouting points during the Trump administration was the conditions in which migrants — particularly children — were detained on our southern border. “Kids in…

They haven't even reversed Stephen Miller racist policy of using covid as an excuse to expel asylum seekers.