• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Cinematic is pretty high
Realistic is too
Immersive
"Living breathing world" used to drive me up the wall but I hardly hear it used anymore

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
"Biggest map ever"
"live game"
"mature", which usually means or hyperviolent or hyperserious and dramatic.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
"Social" features, especially any sort of "Guild" or "Faction" features at this point for something that isnt an MMO

"Crafting"

"Always evolving"

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
"Loot" is damn close to being ruined for me.

When I hear loot at this point I think "game with shallow combat and grindy content".

There are loot games I have loved but at this point it puts me on the defensive.
This. It seems mostly that designers turn to loot as 'reward' when the combat isn't rewarding in and of itself.

roguelike
loot
metroidvania
The holy trinity of 'designed to waste your time as meaninglessly as possible' signals.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
"Immersive" except for when it's immediately followed by "sim".

Similarly "cinematic". I imagine a story heavy game where I have little agency and am railroaded into slow walk and talk sections.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Gacha
Rogue
Postgame - Especially as a main focus, I care about the regular damn game, I have no interest to rush to some grinding BS at the end

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm repeating some that have already been said, but here's mine:
  • waifu
  • gacha/lootbox (they're the same picture, change my mind)
  • gathering
  • crafting
  • survival (occasionally I'll get a craving for one of these, but mostly this seems to mean busywork and have overlap with crafting)
  • battle royale
  • live service (I have enough of these already and those have poisoned that well for me)
  • cash shop/microtransactions

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
"Roguelike"
"Survival"
"Ultra-hardcore/difficult"
"Permadeath"
"Multiplayer-only"
and in many cases "Free to play" because it usually means "lootboxes"

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Cinematic
"Best graphics"
New game in long running series
If it's a Japanese game and the emphasis is on story. Stories in Japanese games are mostly nonsense outside of a few standouts.

Jun 13, 2020
When SE announced at E3 that Avengers was going to be an "ever-expanding universe" that would evolve over several years was the moment I stopped having any interest in it.

RelaxedOtter

Oct 27, 2017
" FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic "

Oct 27, 2017
Crafting, cards, procedural generation, roguelike, and Metroidvania are usually turnoffs, although there are games that are exceptions.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
"Idle"

I don't understand why these games are popular. If I wanted to consume an entertainment medium that involves little to no interaction from me, I would watch TV or a movie

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
  • Online co-op (for a game that clearly should be a SP title, think of Gotham Knights)
  • Destiny-like
  • Gacha (as a main mechanic, for extras and collectables with in-game currency it's fine)
  • Roguelike: Now this one is probably the fastest reason to make me lose interest in a game

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not a total gamebreaker, but crafting will make me enjoy a game less. Not a problem if it can be ignored though.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Gushing about about map size is usually a shorthand for having meaningful content replaced with dull treks through nothing or open world checklist "content".

"See that mountain in the distance? You can climb it, but not only will it be boring, there's no payoff."

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Gushing about about map size is usually a shorthand for having meaningful content replaced with dull treks through nothing or open world checklist "content".

"See that mountain in the distance? You can climb it, but not only will it be boring, there's no payoff."

I feel like this one varies by dev (like I believe Bethesda or Nintendo when they say this).

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Gacha
GaaS
MOBA
Open world
Base clearing
Roguelike/roguelite
Deck-based
Procedurally generated
Metroidvania
Loot
Gear
Crafting
Cinematic

There are a lot. It seems like I don't like popular genres, so most things that come out these days raise my hackles at least a little bit.

Edit: The worst one is RPG elements. AKA our game is three times as long as it needs to be and we're masking it with numbers go up.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Crafting
Base building
Survival
Open world depending on the series.

Used to include rogue like but since then I've found good rogue likes.
Souls like
Cinematic
Experience

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Gatcha
Loot box
Paid surprise mechanic
FOMO
Always online

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
I'm not trolling and I know people won't believe that, but...

"You can pet the dog"

I don't want to pet the dog in real life, and I definitely don't want to in a video game. I know that's just me.