• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
What are some things in game reveals that make you just completely tune out/lose interest?

for me, the two off the top of my head are "base building" and especially "card based" or "card collecting"

nothing completely zaps my interest in a game like it being card based. If i wanted to play a card based game I would play a tabletop card game.
This is even worse when it is a gacha based card collectathon.
Honorable mention for me would be "a deep crafting system" but I think we are at a point where more games have a crafting system than do not.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Roguelite, specifically. I love orthodox roguelikes.

Stuff like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy where huge portions of the game hinge on stuff you unlock between runs is just not fun for me, I play procedurally generated death labyrinth games for an experience that's purely about how well you can handle an unpredictable challenge. The hours you put into the game should help you, but only in the form of your own expertise and not any sort of mechanical boost. Trying to soften the permadeath experience with unlockables not only misses the point, it essentially turns the game into a grind.

There are exceptions. I fucking love Tower of Guns, Mothergunship, Hades, and Into the Breach.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"Choice and consequence"

Most of the time it means a very temporary consequence which will quickly be funnelled into whatever the writers felt was the direction the plot should follow.

GalmLikePalm

Nov 29, 2017
Deck-building
"Roguelite" lately (unless you're Supergiant games)
Launching into early access (unless you're Supergiant games)

Oct 29, 2017
Procedural generation having to do with characterization and story. Just nope.

Anything to do with the word "rogue" except in the context of the RPG class. :)

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
"Crafting"

I hate crafting. It's boring and frustrating most of the time. It's occasionally great, though. Like in Fallout 4. But I have been disappointed enough times to know better.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Cinematic, crafting, and randomly-generated are some big ones for me. Also if the core gameplay loop provokes constant mention of "loot" and "gear" I'll probably stay away.

I will say, of those, crafting is probably the one I'm most fine with. I just don't like when it feels like it's just sorta there but doesn't feel rewarding to interact or is so simplistic and doesn't require the player to even think about the mechanic in any meaningful way. At that point I'm just like "...why?" Unfortunately, this describes most games that have crafting mechanics. The ones where it's a large part of the game tend to be the ones that justify its existence much better.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
blockchain was huge at the GDC I went to ... haha everyone and their mom shouting about BLOCKCHAIN technology lol

other than that "looter shooter", "narrative driven", "Procedural"

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Loot" is damn close to being ruined for me.

When I hear loot at this point I think "game with shallow combat and grindy content".

There are loot games I have loved but at this point it puts me on the defensive.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
"Crafting"

I hate crafting. It's boring and frustrating most of the time. It's occasionally great, though. Like in Fallout 4. But I have been disappointed enough times to know better.
I got jaded with quote unquote crafting with Tomb Raider 2013 where it was just another skill tree that used slightly different currency.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
- Graphics being the main focus of marketing material instead of gameplay
- ______ Spiritual Sequel. Stand on your own goddammit
- Season pass
- Anime artstyle (other than specific circumstances)

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
S6Jvk4j.jpg

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Rogue
Visual Novel
Gacha
F2P
Multiplayer
GaaS
Battle Royale
Moba
Social Sim
Card Collecting
Anime ( I'm talking stock generic SAO or XB2 looking anime not unique anime style like DBZ, Dragon Quest, BoTW, DMC, etc.)

Last edited:

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Sports (simulators like Fifa or WWE not something like Rocket League)
Fighting
Multiplayer only

Shade Vortex

Oct 28, 2017
USA, WA.
-Collectors Edition
-Preorder Exclusive
-Limited Time offer
-Timed Exclusive
-"Over 60 hours of playtime!" (usually means a lot of grinding/padding)
-Loot Crates
-Gacha
-"The same gameplay experience as last year!" (literally advertising the fact that it's a lazy, annual cash grab)
-"Open Air" - just call it Open World Nintendo
-"Brought to you by the Studio that made X" - doesn't actually mean anything if the creative talent behind the project is 90% different (looking at you, Sonic Forces)
There's probably lots more, but these things are the ones that immediately came to mind.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
"Connected"

I hate when games selling points are how easy it is to connect to others and play with friends. I rarely rarely have time to connect/play with all my friends, solo is the only way.