• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buying video games day one, is it worth it?

• Yes, I've waited long enough. Give me the game now.

Votes: 798 53.1%
  • No, I'd rather wait a few patches for a better experience.

Votes: 704 46.8%

• Total voters

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I like being part of the conversation when games I'm anticipating release. Being able to jump into a discussion, maybe game specific thread, at the height of it's popularity is part of the fun. Countless experiences, both single player and multiplayer, have been amplified by the community around them.

Also, not all games are broken at launch.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You're absolutely right OP. Nintendo is pretty much the only company that I trust with day-one purchases, because their level of polish on release day is unmatched in the industry.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a black/white thing like that OP, there are plenty of games that launched in an exemplary state and only had minor patches or content additions. Yes obviously it was smart of me to wait for FFXV, but I also had no problem with RE2, Spider-Man, Sekiro, Death Stranding, or God of War at launch. Plenty of Nintendo games also launch well too, not every game is a mess when it comes out so it's kinda a bit more nuanced of a discussion than "yes I wait for everything" or "no it's all day 1"

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I used to buy games with full price tags back then. But ever since we've had DLC (especially On-Disc/Day One DLC), season passes, microtransactions, patches, etc. involved on games since PS3 & 360 came, now I just hold off on buying most games until such prices have either lowered, or have been given full complete versions of the same games with all DLC, etc. included (such as complete editions, GOTY editions, etc), especially with genres like fighting games. That shit had put me off on doing so entirely.

I miss the days when games were fully complete on cartridges & on discs in which you didn't have to experience all of that mumbo-jumbo bullshit.

Last edited:

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it depends on the game/publisher.

A lot of Nintendo games tend to be fine to buy Day 1, whether it be because of the polish or lack of patches. Price doesn't tend to get lower over time either.

Square Enix is a great example of waiting paying off heavily. I bought FFXV at launch and didn't have the best time with it and felt burned. I played the Royal Edition years later and ended up enjoying the game with every improvement. I learned from the experience and waited until January to buy Kingdom Hearts 3 and feel I made out with the best experience possible and I only paid 13 dollars for it. Square Enix games lose value so fast that it feels very worth it to wait.

That said, it's usually not a great idea to wait to buy fighting games.

Halo

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
All valid points and no disagreement. I would simply point out and help reinforce that it can sometimes be a VERY significant advantage to purchase early when buying physical. For example, even though BestBuy gamer rewards is now dead, you can still pre-order Doom External for $10 off (store credit) plus get the steel-book for no extra charge. Frankly, even if the game sucks, you could easily play it for a few weeks and then trade it in or sell it but only lose pennies. No loss. Better than a rental. It's almost like games are free if you plan ahead :)

Edit: the day that physical and this flexibility is taken away from me will probably be the end of me as a regular gamer and I normally purchase a dozen plus Day 1's per year.

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Another one of the problems with the premise of the thread is that OP vastly over-estimates the benefits of those patches.

Yes in case of No Mans Sky you could feasibly say the game was made 200% better (I doubt even NMS gets to this in all honesty). But in actuality when a AAA game is released there might be like 0-2 gamebreaking bugs most of the time, with most players never seeing said bug. And then a year later with patches the game is improved marginally to make sure the experience is stable for everyone.

I just don't get the vitriol and hyperbole for people who choose to enjoy games on the day they come out, considering there's obviously a desire to participate in the conversations that happen around release, or they're people who play games from developers who consistently make high quality 'bug-free' releases.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just do it to support the dev's I want. Y'all must not remember the days of wondering if the United states will see a new yakuza game ever again.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
there are a number of cases where this is not the case. You can play a fighting game six months after it releases. You will get that game substantially cheaper, you will probably have access to more characters, and there is a real chance that some of the shittier balancing choices will have been rectified. However, you are starting six months late, and you are going to feel that difference instantly (the only exception may be a Street Fighter game, as those tend to retain a large enough player base that you can play alongside players of any skill level).

I was hoping someone would bring Fighting games into this because that is totally a genre where being in the "hopper" day one means you have the best chance of leveling up with the community. Coming in late can make things harder for you when you just get blasted by people who have been playing longer.

Another game where buying a game day one was an advantage was Monster Hunter World. Growing with the community was outstanding and is a big reason why the game was so successful. Granted, there wasn't anything game breaking in the initial game.

I think the OP's point is only based on getting games that have a bad launch (Battlefield 4) or an unseen bug that really can't be replicated until you are in a pool with millions of players (the COD example). Best advice is just wait for impressions and reviews. You can usually find out all that in like a week.

TL;DR: Don't be that guy that thinks all patching/post launch work is some conspiracy to trick gamers out of their money.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Objectively, in today's world of every platform having games that can be updated/fixed via patches, it makes sense to wait.

Subjectively (or emotionally/personally) though, I bought Yakuza Remastered Collection the moment I knew it was available today, so it really depends on the game. I like to support franchises and developers I love or am looking forward to. With something like Assassin's Creed though, I know a sale on the base game + expansion will come later, so games like that, which I want to play but don't HAVE to play right at launch, I have no problem waiting. My expectation isn't that it'll be "200% better" though. If it's been improved, that's just icing on the cake.

I guess I could have waited a while for Sekiro, but I'm glad I didn't, because I loved being a part of the OT. It made me realize how much I missed out on the rest of the Soulsborne games, being part of the excitement around launch when everything is new and still mostly unknown. :)

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Op made a statement about their experience and then asked for people's thoughts. If your thoughts are mind your own business you shouldn't be in this thread.
OP title literally says "YOU are paying... for the worst experience."
That's not about the OP. That's about other people. For others, the worst experience could be playing a game with a lower population of players.

cmon now, don't be so obtuse

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
you can the same thing about almost any product from video games to TV's to Blu-ray's etc...they all get cheaper...and with video games they fix performance issues and bugs...problem with waiting is that you miss the experience of playing it on Day 1 along with everyone else...playing it 6 months later and it loses its luster

Fallen Order is still $59.99??...game should be at least 40% off by now but I guess it was a hit with fans and critics alike so it takes longer to drop in price

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine using Death Stranding, a game with virtually no bugs and no glitched trophies on day one, as your example. That game is the gold standard of a polished day one game.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
In the last 16 years i have made 10 day one purchase.
I am cheap gamer, GoTY edition for less than $10 is fucking awesome, playing the game 2-3 years down the road doesn't ruin the experience, I am waiting for Red Dead 2 to drop in price..

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
OP title literally says "YOU are paying... for the worst experience."
That's not about the OP. That's about other people. For others, the worst experience could be playing a game with a lower population of players.

cmon now, don't be so obtuse

But it's objectively true. You pay the most at launch (with some exceptions), you get the most buggy version of the game (with a few exceptions). Whether that is worth it for you or not is a decision you can make yourself based on what you value.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's almost always better to wait, games are very expensive and often require multiple patches, waiting just makes sense. That being said, certain games are day 1 for me, Cyberpunk for example.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on the type of game and the publisher. Getting Nintendo games day one is very rarely risky, because they ship somewhat bug free. Also, games where balance is integral to the experience (like fighting games) tend to be pretty solid at launch—usually patches are just to rebalance characters.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing was going to fix FFXV, tbh. That was more of SE fucking it up than a launch problem.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
This is why I pick and choose heavily on what I buy upon release. Something like Last of Us 2 will not be skipped...but Death Stranding was an easy pass. So easy, I am now waiting for the PC release. And will wait even longer for that to hit sub $30 lol

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
But it's objectively true. You pay the most at launch (with some exceptions), you get the most buggy version of the game (with a few exceptions). Whether that is worth it for you or not is a decision you can make yourself based on what you value.

There is a difference between what you wrote and what the title says. You wrote about the product itself the title is about the expirience people have with it. they are connected but not the same.

You wrote about an objective fact and title and OP are about the subjective expiriencecpeople will have with it.

Don't get me wrong it is not the end of the world what is in the title but it will lead to negative reactions. And it doesn't help that one of the poll choices is written in a condencing way that reads like everyone who buys day 1 is an impatianed child and the other one isn't written in the same way.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
I pretty much agree to be honest. My last dat 1 purchase was red dead redemption 2. Before that they were for honor and horizon (just like a week or two apart from another). So in the past 2 years I only bought one full priced game which I spent probably over 100 hours in.

With games falling in price and updates being a thing now, its just better to wait till the price drops. (Just look at the division 2 thread). My next full priced game will likely be Cyberpunk 2077. As TW3 became my favourite game of all time.

Mar 25, 2019
You can almost always rely on the "usual suspect" publishers such as Activision & Bethesda to release buggy, unfinished games. I agree that it's absolutely not worth getting in on the ground floor unless you play competitively & want to get a head start learning the controls and such.

Other publishers, such as Nintendo, almost always deliver nearly bug-free software at launch.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I have the time and money to get a game I want on launch day I will. I'm from the generation of reading release dates in monthly magazines only and marking my calendar/collecting coins to afford it.

I'mmore like to not buy a game period than I am to wait for a bunch of QoL to hit a title before buying.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I hate the pricing structure. I wish main stream games released at 30 and stayed at that price indefinitely

Not realistic obviously but something between that and what we have would be great.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Are you unable to read what the OP actually put in the title? Or do you prefer responding to imaginary words?

Halo

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
Not sure we're all on the same page here???

No doubt, not all D1 releases are perfect. It's more of an exception than the norm.

Go D1 physical and enjoy all of the hype, fun, cheap-ass gaming but not get the full experience if you don't want to stick with it?

Sorry if I misunderstood. Digital only is still foreign to me even with a decent PC set-up. Console 1st always.

Last edited:

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
If I really want to play a game as soon as it comes out, then I'll gladly pay full price for it. I've bought a lot of games day one (especially Vita games) and I've had no problems at all. The last game I bought at launch was Trails of Cold Steel III and I don't think I played a "buggy mess."

Perhaps some people wouldn't have come out so aggresively if OP didn't sound like a douche in their post.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been repeated through the past pages but there are aspects to the experience that exist outside of the code.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game and the developer/publisher. Nintendo doesn't seem to make these mistakes. Well, no game of theirs that I've played has been a broken mess at least.

I was one of the lucky few when it came to RDR2, Prey, and Jedi Fallen Order. The latter of the two which I played on PC. In any case, I only buy games day 1 when it's a must have as in a series I adore or just cannot wait to play.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Some of my absolute favorite gaming experiences are day 1 experiences.

Guild Wars 2 was buggy af the first weekend, but also the most fun I ever had with that game. BotW at release was special, as you are discovering and sharing experiences with your friends, forums, etc. Smash Bros consistently has been an experience for me at release, as it brings all my friends together in one place for one long party just playing the game as long as possible post release.

You want to trust the developers you are buying from day 1, but the experiences can really stick with you, and I'll continue chasing that high.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
There is a difference between what you wrote and what the title says. You wrote about the product itself the title is about the expirience people have with it. they are connected but not the same.

You wrote about an objective fact and title and OP are about the subjective expiriencecpeople will have with it.

Don't get me wrong it is not the end of the world what is in the title but it will lead to negative reactions. And it doesn't help that one of the poll choices is written in a condencing way that reads like everyone who buys day 1 is an impatianed child and the other one isn't written in the same way.
Are you unable to read what the OP actually put in the title? Or do you prefer responding to imaginary words?

To both of you: I guess I equated experience with the quality of the product itself. It is true that the multiplayer/community experience might be better at launch. When the OP says you have the worst experience to me that speaks to how the game/software performs, not the meta experience.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind buying a game I really want at full price, and if it's broken I'd probably hear about it before buying it. What am I supposed to play while I wait for it to get cheaper anyway? I don't do backlogs.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I've only ever been burned once by buying a game day 1
Mario and luigi dream team
Hated it

but generally I am okay to do it for most Nintendo games that interest me

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day one is for the zeitgeist. Nothing more, nothing less. Buying later comes with literally every other advantage.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
"As of today, The Last of Us Part II is finally in stores!"

*no one picks it up due to everyone waiting six months to a year to pick up the game for a better version*

"Sir, these first month records are abysmal. We barely sold in the double digits. Guess we'll have to close up the studio and cancel Last of Us Part III now..."

Oct 27, 2017
I usually wait at least a couple months before buying new games. Patching reason is a good one. It's also nice to wait for the dust to settle with AAA titles, so I know exactly what I'm getting into. Pricing is a big deal for me, I like to wait for those PSN flash sales. That being said, I'm STILL waiting for a decent price drop on some 2019 games, and I'm perfectly content knowing they will be greatly patched up and more enjoyable by the time I get around to purchasing/playing them.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
But it's objectively true.

This is false. Like I said earlier, I never encountered the bug OP mentioned in Far Cry 5 so my experience cannot be objectively worse than someone who waited for a patch and also didn't encounter that issue. I also played Prey and The Witcher 3 without issue. A game being buggy doesn't mean every single player is guaranteed to encounter every single bug, nor will every player respond to bugs in the same way.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I buy my most anticipated games on day 1, I like experiencing the early days with all the hype and discussions going on. Its very rare that my experience is ruined by bugs.

However Im very selective when it comes to paying full price, most of the games I play are on Gamepass or deeply discounted.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
This is false. Like I said earlier, I never encountered the bug OP mentioned in Far Cry 5 so my experience cannot be objectively worse than someone who waited for a patch and also didn't encounter that issue. I also played Prey and The Witcher 3 without issue. A game being buggy doesn't mean every single player is guaranteed to encounter every single bug, nor will every player respond to bugs in the same way.

You're basically saying ''I've never encountered bugs so there's no reason to wait for patches therefore people should all just play on day one.'' Which is just pure nonsense.
Just because YOU didn't encounter the bugs doesn't mean it's not a issue for others.

The truth is, waiting for updates and fixes have benefits, and it makes for a more bug free experience for most people. It benefits everyone who could have run into any problems. The only people it doesn't benefit are lucky players like you.

My argument is simple: Wait for the patches, this way you're less likely to encounter any day one bugs plus you get QoL and performance improvements. It's not that difficult and you don't have to agree with my facts, I couldn't give a shit if you're willing to beta test for me, in fact I need people like you to make my games better. So please, keep buying day one, and don't ever complain should you encounter any bugs cause it is your choice.

I'm just a evil ''douche'' who dares to tell people to wait so they get a more refined experience.
Who am I to go against day one purchase when clearly AAA games have all been nearly perfect at launch through out this generation?

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You're absolutely right OP. Nintendo is pretty much the only company that I trust with day-one purchases, because their level of polish on release day is unmatched in the industry.

yeah that great polish of a stuttering day one Zelda BOTW and 60fps/30fps changing Links Awakening. and that great polish of Fire Emblem Three Houses...and the great polishing of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in handheld mode.

seriously, what a load of BS, Nintendo games aren´t super polished since the Switch at all

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I'm on the fence about this. Some games I need right away and they are flawless like Resident Evil 2 and I'm glad I'm there from the beginning. Some games I wait to buy because I hear they are broken like Anthem and never end up playing them because of it. Some games I buy immediately because I'm a huge fan like Friday the 13th and they never end up getting fixed... and some games I take a shot in the dark like No Man Sky and wish I just waited.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I'll only buy a game on day one anymore if I trust the dev. Naughty Dog, From Software, Insomniac, Capcom,... Everything else I'll just wait. I can't waste time and money anymore. It's not the 90s and I don't need to play everything.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
You could stop putting these things on pedestals. Stories are more than specific set pieces or twists. The only time where I think a twist might have ruined a game for me would have been the one in Bioshock. Really though, a good story won't be ruined for you by a few passing spoilers. That's just absurd to think like that.

Sorry, that's an awful take. It's a generalisation and a bad one at that.

Take Xenoblade Chronicles as an example. That game story is best experienced blind because of the various plot twists. If any of those twist are known beforehand, the experience of the game gets tainted.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Objectively, in today's world of every platform having games that can be updated/fixed via patches, it makes sense to wait.

Subjectively (or emotionally/personally) though, I bought Yakuza Remastered Collection the moment I knew it was available today, so it really depends on the game. I like to support franchises and developers I love or am looking forward to. With something like Assassin's Creed though, I know a sale on the base game + expansion will come later, so games like that, which I want to play but don't HAVE to play right at launch, I have no problem waiting. My expectation isn't that it'll be "200% better" though. If it's been improved, that's just icing on the cake.

I guess I could have waited a while for Sekiro, but I'm glad I didn't, because I loved being a part of the OT. It made me realize how much I missed out on the rest of the Soulsborne games, being part of the excitement around launch when everything is new and still mostly unknown. :)

Yeah I think the souls and souls like games plus MHW was really fun in the OTs where everybody was just discovering the games and posting death poems.