• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that kills Xbox controllers for me is their awful A buttons. I don't know whether it's a design flaw or bad QC, but almost every Xbox One controller I've used has a very unreliable A button that doesn't always register unless you really jam down on it (which is annoying because the extremely convex hard plastic buttons Microsoft use are harsh on the thumbs). It's a problem that even extends to their absurdly-expensive Elite Series 2, which is just unforgivable.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'd wait for the Series variant. You'll have an extra button to potentially remap functions to, as well as a supposedly improved design. As far as price goes, honestly, even Xbox One controllers have been kind of up there in price due to demand, so it's not as though there'll be much of a price difference, anyway.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Wait for the new Series controller as it promises better latency on bluetooth and it has a lot more qol features than the original (dedicated capture button, and USB-C mainly)

That is a good point. USB-C ports are much more durable and the connector is reversible. I'd pay $10 extra just for that. That being said, I'd be curious what the impressions are wrt the D-pad.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I would wait for a couple reasons. After using the disc dpad on the elite 2 controlller, I think that new dpad on the series X controller will be better. Also having the grips on the triggers are a nice upgrade too. Only have to wait a month.

Yes get a wireless xbox adapter too. Work so well and you can sync multiple controllers to it for multiplayer.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I have six Xbox one S pads for my PC and it works pretty flawlessly. never have dropouts and distance is definitely never an issue and I sit pretty comfortably away from the computer in my living room. I know people are driving you to spend and wait for the series one controller but you're not missing anything and can buy the wireless chargers fans with the batteries fairly cheap.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I'd wait for the Series variant. You'll have an extra button to potentially remap functions to, as well as a supposedly improved design. As far as price goes, honestly, even Xbox One controllers have been kind of up there in price due to demand, so it's not as though there'll be much of a price difference, anyway.
I bought my XB1 controller last month at Walmart and it was $60.

So yeah, not much difference.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
The XB1 d-pad has been giving me some issues lately with some directions not always registering. Overall it's a great controller but at this point I would wait. Also keep in mind that Xbox controllers have no gyro in case this is something you want to try out.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
I would wait for a couple reasons. After using the disc dpad on the elite 2 controlller, I think that new dpad on the series X controller will be better. Also having the grips on the triggers are a nice upgrade too. Only have to wait a month.

Yes get a wireless xbox adapter too. Work so well and you can sync multiple controllers to it for multiplayer.
Yeah the disc dpad in the elite series feels really good but it has a HUGE issue with fighting games and its because its detachable design, hard diagonal presses would detach the dpad from the controller. Having it in one solid piece sounds a lot better as this problem is mainly resolved but still we will have to see how it performs.

The XB1 d-pad has been giving me some issues lately with some directions not always registering. Overall it's a great controller but at this point I would wait. Also keep in mind that Xbox controllers have no gyro in case this is something you want to try out.

I know exactly what are you saying and I managed to fix it by myself. Basically the Dpad actually sits on a sticker with some steel pieces that work as contact when pressed but sometimes during manufacturing this sticker is placed a little bit misaligned causing it to not register inputs properly on certain angles/pressure points. You have to teardown the controller, peel of this sticker and align it again.

Here's a photo of the issue.

D8ui64p.jpg

This was taken form the original non-bluetooth model. The new ones has a white sticker instead of a transparent one making it a little bit more difficult.

Last edited:

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I've mentioned this elsewhere but maybe you'll want to know my experience. I'd wait for the new one.

I have had multiple ONE controllers with bumper issue (Click and no response) unless i press harder or multiple times. This happened from a controller less then 3 months old and lightly used. I don't know if i'm just unlucky but i'm not buying a ONE model ever again. Hoping I have more luck with the Series X update.

+ I've used 360 controllers for years and had maybe one become unusable. Bought 2 extra spares I still have in the closet, those are pretty damn good (sans dpad).

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently had two different controller shoulder buttons fail on the Xbox One controllers, and a d-pad on another so I couldn't really recommend one of those with a new model just around the corner.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna get the Series X + wireless combo. Tired of getting random drops, disconnects and Windows forgetting that my controller exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you do, please, PLEASE get this thing:

3kD3k4h.jpg

Using Xbox controllers via Bluetooth on PC is the most miserable experience you can imagine. Dropped inputs, random FPS drops in-game, disconnects, your controller being forgotten...

This adapter uses 5 GHz WiFi instead, just like the Xbox consoles, and it's perfect.

Haven't been keeping up with next gen news, but does the new Series X controller work with the XB1 wireless adapter for PC? I have the older bulkier version, not the one pictured if that matters.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

3kD3k4h.jpg

Using Xbox controllers via Bluetooth on PC is the most miserable experience you can imagine. Dropped inputs, random FPS drops in-game, disconnects, your controller being forgotten...

This adapter uses 5 GHz WiFi instead, just like the Xbox consoles, and it's perfect.

Yes, definitely absolutely positively get this.

I just recently got it and it works pretty much perfectly. Plus with this adapter you can use the headphones plugged in directly, compared to bluetooth which you can't.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Haven't been keeping up with next gen news, but does the new Series X controller work with the XB1 wireless adapter for PC? I have the older bulkier version, not the one pictured if that matters.
Yes, the Xbox One and Xbox Series controllers are forwards and backwards compatible with all consoles and with the adapters.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018

3kD3k4h.jpg

I say screw that dongle! I find it overpriced. I've been using my Xbone controller wired for years, better than paying €23 for the dongle + €60 for the controller including a rechargeable battery pack.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Two broken on arrival here. It's a lottery and therefore not worth it.

That's sucks. If I had that happen I wouldn't have bothered with it anymore. Hopefully it's something they'll continue to work on and improve them.

I do agree, for that price tag, things like that shouldn't be happening at all.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Something that might be of interest for people in this thread is Jeff Grubb posted a video of his impressions (stress: not "review") of the new controller.

I'd definitely get a dongle too. I have the older one, but with a dongle you can use multiple controllers or plug in headphones to get audio from the jack (don't think you can with bluetooth, and it might just be for one controller for controller with audio).

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017

3kD3k4h.jpg

This thing is dope. I got one on a whim when they were on sale for $15 and haven't had to worry about that damn micro-USB getting unplugged from the controller. Micro-USB deserves to be usurped by type C, what trash and flimsy input.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

3kD3k4h.jpg

Will Series X controllers work with these adapters, too?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

3kD3k4h.jpg

I have an older model of one of these and STILL get connectivity issues (random disconnects and slight input delay intermittently while using both sticks and buttons) . Oh well.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Do you want a dedicated screenshot button, a supossedly better dpad and USB-C?

I didn't even think about how that new button would work on PC and bring up the Xbox game bar.

Well unless the share button on the Dual Sense can do the same thing I might just get the new Xbox controller for my PC.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I didn't even think about how that new button would work on PC and bring up the Xbox game bar.

Well unless the share button on the Dual Sense can do the same thing I might just get the new Xbox controller for my PC.
Uhhh if I had the controller I would just use Steam Input and map it to take a screenshot via Steam lol

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Do people seriously spend 100€ or whatever on a controller?
Yes? People also spend that much on other peripherals like headsets. It's less crazy for an Xbox controller considering to works across generations and is natively supported on PC

hell I just spent $100 on a new keyboard and it's not a gaming keyboard, just a nice one.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Any chances of an Elite 3 soon?

I have a Series X preordered and I was thinking of buying an Elite 2 controller but I'm still not sure.

Money isn't really an issue.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One is fine but wait for Series for the better DPAD. Also, One controllers have issues with the A button in some production lines.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Watch the Grubb video from earlier today. He describes the differences in detail. I'd wait based on that.

Current PC Gaming support is iffy at best.
OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
So hey, heads up for anybody looking to buy a Series X controller to use with their PC:

I learned the hard way yesterday that both iOS/tvOS and Steam support are currently busted.

Controller works fine with Game Pass titles (and presumably Microsoft Store games) but once you try to launch anything in Steam the controller doesn't function properly. I haven't tried Epic Game Store or anything else yet.

I'm considering returning it for a Xbox One controller, but those are actually somehow more expensive than the Series X controllers by five dollars.

Guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Really putting a damper on this PC Gaming experience.

Oct 25, 2017
So hey, heads up for anybody looking to buy a Series X controller to use with their PC:

I learned the hard way yesterday that both iOS/tvOS and Steam support are currently busted.

Controller works fine with Game Pass titles (and presumably Microsoft Store games) but once you try to launch anything in Steam the controller doesn't function properly. I haven't tried Epic Game Store or anything else yet.

I'm considering returning it for a Xbox One controller, but those are actually somehow more expensive than the Series X controllers by five dollars.

Guess it's just a waiting game at this point. Really putting a damper on this PC Gaming experience.
Valve probably does not support it yet because it's brand new. Try this on Steam:

View -> Settings, then Controller tab, then General Controller Settings.

A blue window will open, make sure "Xbox Configuration Support" and "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" are unchecked here. I'm not actually sure if Steam detects it as an Xbox controller or a generic gamepad, but disable them both to be sure.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Valve probably does not support it yet because it's brand new. Try this on Steam:

View -> Settings, then Controller tab, then General Controller Settings.

A blue window will open, make sure "Xbox Configuration Support" and "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" are unchecked here. I'm not actually sure if Steam detects it as an Xbox controller or a generic gamepad, but disable them both to be sure.

I dinked around with controller settings for the better part of an hour last night with no positive results, unfortunately.

Steam seems to see the controller as two, one labeled "Xbox Controller" (IIRC) and another as "6 axis 16 button gamepad with hat switch". Neither work properly.

Are you using bluetooth?

Yep. Unfortunately the USB receiver isn't in the cards as the end goal here is to use the controller via iOS and tvOS.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Don't feel bad OP, my $170 Elite 2 controller also doesn't work wirelessly on the OS made by the same fuckin' company either.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so it affects everything and it's not a Steam issue then.

Weird decision from Microsoft to change the inputs on the controller because it's not that much different from Xbox One controller.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I hope that the share button gets supported soon on PC

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I guess I'll give it two weeks or so to be patched and then it's going back to the store. The Xbox One controller may be "worse" but at least it'll work. Bleh.

More than a year now and nothing has been done to fix the bluetooth on the Elite 2 controllers but I do wish you better luck

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait I just ordered the new controller for PC. Will it work if I keep it plugged in and is it just the wireless that is borked?