• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Simple question, ResetEra users:

Buying a Xbox controller to play PC games with. Am I okay with the current "Xbox One" controller at $50 or are the changes significant enough on the "Series" controller enough to warrant waiting another month and paying an extra $10?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Do you want a dedicated screenshot button, a supossedly better dpad and USB-C?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth the extra $10? Sure. Are you really going to be missing out if you just get the current controller? Not at all.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
If you're buying new, just wait for the series. If anything it will at least be supported longer.

You can probably get a "One" controller for $40 though if you look for deals or used.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
depends on if you want USB-C, but it's the beginning of the generation for these new controllers. they'll get support for a while and could get some added software features on PC that you may miss out on with a current gen one.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Whatever you do, please, PLEASE get this thing:

3kD3k4h.jpg

Using Xbox controllers via Bluetooth on PC is the most miserable experience you can imagine. Dropped inputs, random FPS drops in-game, disconnects, your controller being forgotten...

This adapter uses 5 GHz WiFi instead, just like the Xbox consoles, and it's perfect.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd wait.

I'm hoping the new controller fixes the little bit of a dead zone if you tap on the furthest right edge of the B button. Every XB1 controller I've owned has had this problem.

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
depends on if you want USB-C, but it's the beginning of the generation for these new controllers. they'll get support for a while and could get some added software features on PC that you may miss out on with a current gen one.

Unfortunately the motherboard I picked out doesn't have a header for front panel USB-C, so I'd either be plugging it into the back or using a Type-C to Type-A adapter.

I'd likely be using the controller via Bluetooth most of the time, so plugging it in would be for charging the battery were I decide to buy the battery pack or updating the firmware, something I'd need to do, what, once a year?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What about Elite 2 Controller?
Good luck with that. I had problems with three of them in a row. Had to get a refund in the end and I'm not alone. Build quality is a real issue with the Elite 2.

edit: Build quality in v1 was a problem too but at least those weren't broken out of the box. You just had to worry about the shoulder buttons cracking after a ~year.
No you won't. Please don't, buy the official wireless receiver which uses wifi internally and actually works unlike bluetooth.
This is good advice. I bought a brand new official Xbox One Bluetooth controller to use with my PC. SO MANY CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS. Works perfectly with the wireless adapter.

(I have other Bluetooth controllers that work fine. Microsoft's official controller is a mess over Bluetooth)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat, I'm waiting

until my Series S arrives with its controlller

3kD3k4h.jpg

Using Xbox controllers via Bluetooth on PC is the most miserable experience you can imagine. Dropped inputs, random FPS drops in-game, disconnects, your controller being forgotten...

This adapter uses 5 GHz WiFi instead, just like the Xbox consoles, and it's perfect.
Thanks for this info. I was just going to go with bluetooth.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Just make sure you don't get the older non-Bluetooth version of the Xbox One controller. Probably not an issue unless you're looking at buying used.

www.pcmag.com

How to Connect an Xbox Controller to a PC

Connecting your Xbox gamepad to a Windows PC is almost as easy as connecting it to a console. Here's how to do it in a few simple steps.
I mean, the newer ones are better because the bumpers are better, but having the shitty Bluetooth connecticity option is irrelevant, lol

OP
OP
maximumzero

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

3kD3k4h.jpg

Ugh, that's dragging the controller into $85 territory, something I was hoping to avoid.

Edit: Besides, I'll probably be using the controller via Steam Link or In-Home streaming most of the time.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020

3kD3k4h.jpg

I wish someone had told me about this before I tried it. When my games started stuttering I was like "... wtd?" and then I found out how jank MS' BT support in the X1 Controller is... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
A "better" D-Pad sounds nice, but it all depends on whether the existing D-Pad is "bad" or not.
According to Windows Central, the dpad on the Series controller is "vastly improved" over the Xbox One dpad.

Windows Central said:
A little less obvious to the naked eye are two very important upgrades, found in key inputs on the controller. Notably, the directional pad (d-pad) is vastly, vastly improved, with a far more tactile, ergonomic feel. The design even defeats the Elite Series 2 controller, I feel.

The four main directions are elevated and angled towards your thumb, while the diagonal directions are also easier to access, elevated above the controller itself, but recessed between primary buttons. It makes navigating menus a little easier, which is primarily which is the primary use for the d-pad these days. It's also a little more ergonomic for fighting games too, if you don't fancy getting a fight stick or re-learning how to play with the regular joysticks.
https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-xs-controller-impressions-building-perfection

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Ugh, that's dragging the controller into $85 territory, something I was hoping to avoid.
There's a pack that includes the controller with the receiver.

Amazon.com: Controlador inalámbrico Xbox de Microsoft + adaptador inalámbrico para Windows 10: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Controlador inalámbrico Xbox de Microsoft + adaptador inalámbrico para Windows 10: Computers & Accessories

I know it's expensive, but the controller will actually work if you use the receiver. Instead of being a mess. Also, you can re-use the receiver for the Series controller later.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
OP, I would get the new one! The current one is nice but switching to USBC is good.

3kD3k4h.jpg

My Surface Book 3 has xbox wireless built in so I can connect via that, but I still get dropped connections in some rooms of my house regard. Must be something interfering.

OP I recommend trying the controller with bluetooth first and seeing how you get on.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
OP, I would get the new one! The current one is nice but switching to USBC is good.

My Surface Book 3 has xbox wireless built in so I can connect via that, but I still get dropped connections in some rooms of my house regard. Must be something interfering.
Maybe the fact that it's inside of the machine makes it more likely to suffer from interferences, idk. The external receiver works perfectly.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do people seriously spend 100€ or whatever on a controller?

As someone who originally refused to purchase one due to the high price tag, they're absolutely worth the price. My brother gifted me the controller and after using it for years now, I can't go back to the standard controllers. One of the biggest advantages at least for me is being able to aim with the right stick and push ABXY without having to take my thumb off the right stick which comes in handy with some games.

They're not for everyone, but they're fantastic, the customization is great if you play competitively or like to have paddles on the back.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
MĂ©xico
Simple question, ResetEra users:

Buying a Xbox controller to play PC games with. Am I okay with the current "Xbox One" controller at $50 or are the changes significant enough on the "Series" controller enough to warrant waiting another month and paying an extra $10?

New controller:

- Dedicated screenshot button
- new d-pad
- texture grip
- remember multiple devices connected via BT
- USB type C

CGS

Oct 27, 2017
If you go with the Xbox Series X controller route and want the wireless dongle, there is a bundle you can currently preorder here.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
As someone who originally refused to purchase one due to the high price tag, they're absolutely worth the price. My brother gifted me the controller and after using it for years now, I can't go back to the standard controllers. One of the biggest advantages at least for me is being able to aim with the right stick and push ABXY without having to take my thumb off the right stick which comes in handy with some games.

They're not for everyone, but they're fantastic, the customization is great if you play competitively or like to have paddles on the back.
idk, if I need to do any sort of aiming in a game I'll either use KB+M or sometimes the Switch Pro Controller with gyro. Fuck aiming with a stick lol.

As for customizing the controllers, I can do that with Steam Input.

Paddles are nice, but they don't justify a 100€ pricetag.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017

3kD3k4h.jpg

^^^This.

Most important for me is the ability to use the Xbox chat headsets with the controller. You can't plug in a headset into the controller and use via Bluetooth - the wireless adapter is required.

Now if you have a dedicated headset for chat, then you're good. But I couch game on my PC and it's just so easy to use the stuff I already have from my Xbox.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I'm probably gonna replace my One controller with the Dualsense. Touchpad should come in handy for any additional mappings I might want or as a mouse pad

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If you go with the Xbox Series X controller route and want the wireless dongle, there is a bundle you can currently preorder here.
maximumzero this seems like the ideal solution. It's only $5 more than the pack with the old controller and the receiver, and you get the shiny new one instead.

Btw, the receiver supports up to 8 controllers at the same time, while with bluetooth you can only connect 1. So it will be super useful in the future for any local multiplayer sessions you might want to do

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

3kD3k4h.jpg

I got mine off ebay for 10$ and it's still working to this day. Highly recommend it!

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's just a matter of taste depending on controller shape and the feeling of the buttons. I still use my 360 controller on PC since it both works and I like it

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

Nah the Series 2 just isn't worth it. Worst quality control of any controller I've owned in the last decade.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The One controller does absolutely everything right. Xbox Series controller will probably be an upgrade but there really is nothing "wrong" or even "decent" about the One controller. It is damn good.

Also seconding the Xbox wireless adapter for Windows 10 recommendation. Very necessary and works flawlessly.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I took a deep dive into the controller in my Xbox Series X feature from Monday, URL to the specific page of my feature: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/4/

long and short of it: if you want specific colors, don't wait for the new "Xbox Wireless Controller." if you're fine with black, white, or blue, get the new one.

and +1 to the suggestion of the Xbox Wireless Adapter. It's nice to have one less Bluetooth thing to mess with if you're primarily playing on a single PC (and have designs on connecting multiple controllers for things like local couch co-op).

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California

3kD3k4h.jpg

Seconded. I have both the original and the updated versions of this adapter and they work flawlessly to this day. Connection is secure and reliable, but it is also low-latency like the Xbox console (I presume it uses the same proprietary wireless protocol).

Also, someone alerted in another controller thread that there are counterfeit ones out there. Be careful and make sure to ge tit from a reputable seller. Personally, I would just get it straight from Microsoft Store just to be sure. It's one of the best $20-$25 I spent on peripherals.

Edit: link. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows-10/91dqrb97l130

Oct 27, 2017
New York

3kD3k4h.jpg

This is real?!?! I've been having these issues here and there. Didn't even consider the controller being an issue. Gonna have to look into this and buy it.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This is real?!?! I've been having these issues here and there. Didn't even consider the controller being an issue. Gonna have to look into this and buy it.
It's really shitty that Microsoft pretends to support bluetooth with the Xbox One controller, because then people think it supports bluetooth, so they try to use it, and it doesn't work.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Wait for the new Series controller as it promises better latency on bluetooth and it has a lot more qol features than the original (dedicated capture button, and USB-C mainly)