• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
How long do I have before if becomes disgusting? 5 years? 20?

It depends on how thoroughly and regularly you wipe it down. If you get on your hands and knees with a couple of rags after each load you should have several good years with it. If you lapse on that, it's going to start stinking within a couple of months.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I miss having an in unit washer/dryer so so much. Hell I'd settle for even a coin op in the basement. Get tired of lugging loads to the laundromat

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how thoroughly and regularly you wipe it down. If you get on your hands and knees with a couple of rags after each load you should have several good years with it. If you lapse on that, it's going to start stinking within a couple of months.
That has not been my experience at all. Leave the door open after running it, run a tub clean with bleach every few months and it has been golden.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
First things first, measure the place in which you'll place the washer/drier. Don't buy anything whithout knowing if it'll fit. Afterwards, measure the places you'll need to move the washer through - doors, mainly, to see if it will fit through that. An acquaintance of mine did the first, but the washer didn't fit through her apartment's front door. She had to remove the door to get the damn thing in.

Second... well, see what are your needs. I personally favor electric over gas since I find its safer, but you see what fits you better.

Personally, we haven't had an issue with our washer. It's a Samsung with top load, and it has been going strong for 10 years+. It did maintenance a couple years ago, but aftewards its been working fine.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
That has not been my experience at all. Leave the door open after running it, run a tub clean with bleach every few months and it has been golden.

Do you mind telling me which model you have? Legit curious, as we are in the market for a new washer due to these issues, and we'll need to do a small remodel to the laundry room if we want to get a top loader.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mind telling me which model you have? Legit curious, as we are in the market for a new washer due to these issues, and we'll need to do a small remodel to the laundry room if we want to get a top loader.
It's an LG from 7 years or so ago. Not sure on the exact model.

Seriously, it has never been musty and has been the most efficient washer I have ever used.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Is Whirlpool considered a solid brand in the US? Over here (Netherlands / 'western europe') it's one of the more low-budget options (compared to Miele for example)

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
My wife has had bad experience with front loading washing machines, so we went with a top loader.

Our house doesn't use gas, so we went electric.

The Wirecutter (and a few other outlets) heavily recommended LG, so we opted for LG.

My wife wanted an agitator over an impeller, so we opted for the LG WT7305W, paired with the DLE7300WE.

Other runners up were a few Maytag models and the overly-hyped Speed Queen models.

They were actually delivered to our new home last Saturday, but we're still in the process of moving in so we haven't had a chance to use them yet.

z1SfszA.jpg

Got pretty much the same pair back in Sept. No real complaints so far. Like the smart features. I will say that the auto cycle that the dryer usually selects doesn't dry the clothes all the way, so end up usually having to run through again for a little longer.

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Uh, get Speed Queen. They cost more for a reason. Do not ever buy Samsung or LG appliances.

I work on appliances professionally, to note. I won't be posting in this thread again because I hate talking about appliances, though, so... Speed Queen washer and dryer. That is my advice. Take it or leave it. Good luck!

After doing a bunch of research, this is what we did a year or so ago.

They don't look like much, and they're not cheap, but I don't want to go through buying them again in a few years so I bought on reliability reputation.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
We bought an LG back in August. They're generally well-reviewed except for repairs, which takes a bit of back and forth.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't gas or electric kind of decided by what you already have in your house?
To some extent. Like if you are in the US, you probably wouldn't have both the 240V outlet required for an electric dryer and a gas line. But it's possible, for example if a previous owner decided they wanted to switch from one to the other.

edit: Nevermind, I'm probably wrong.

Last edited:

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
I've had the same LG front load washer for almost 9 years now. No issues. I only replaced the matching dryer because our current place has gas hookup. The dryer is still working and currently at my parents house.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
To some extent. Like if you are in the US, you probably wouldn't have both the 240V outlet required for an electric dryer and a gas line. But it's possible, for example if a previous owner decided they wanted to switch from one to the other.
In the US. I have both hookups. My impression has been both or just electric. Never just gas.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Both my dad and friend have purchased brand new front loaders of different brands over the past 5-10 years and they constantly have issues with mildew and the control board breaking which costs a few hundred dollars to replace. I opted for a simple top loader washer that I have had no problems with for the last few years.

Chouster

Oct 25, 2017
Owned an LG that leaked water constantly so decided to avoid this brand.

Replaced it a couple of years ago with Miele (research at the time told me to avoid Samsung). Night and day difference. Love it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

This is the one I just bought and it has a feature that circulates air to get rid of the moisture after you're done:

www.geappliances.com

GE® 5.0 cu. ft. Capacity Smart Front Load ENERGY STAR® Steam Washer with SmartDispense™ UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ and Sanitize + Allergen|^|GFW850SPNRS

GE Appliances is your home for the best kitchen appliances, home products, parts and accessories, and support.

Here's a video talking about the specific feature:

www.youtube.com

UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™

GE Appliances shuts the door on odor with a revolutionary UltraFresh front load washer. Engineered to stay fresh and clean, this washer uses technology to he...

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
You can never go wrong with last year's Kenmores (no matter what year you're in).

Kenmore is rebranded whirlpool with slight alterations to make repairs much harder. Parts are interchangeable.
I have kenmore front loaders that are about a decade old. The washer drum needed replacing after the bearing went bad but was warranty covered. The dryer has been a pain. Thermal fuse has gone bad a number of times and the heating element cracked twice. Heating element requires you to remove the drum on the kenmore due to a piece of metal added. The same whirpool model this fix is easy.

Front loading washers get disgusting over the years, no matter how well you maintain them. I highly, highly recommend against getting one.

Leave the soap tray and door open a bit when not in use. Also run a bleach clean cycle once a month. We have no mold or mildew issues even after swapping out a decade old wash drum.

Owned an LG that leaked water constantly so decided to avoid this brand.

Replaced it a couple of years ago with Miele (research at the time told me to avoid Samsung). Night and day difference. Love it.

Our Miele dish washer is good. I've seen a lot of repair men recommend them. Not sure about their washer/dryer but I assume they're solid. Expensive compared to other brands but if you buy a display unit you can get them cheaper and still have warranty.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
LG front loaders continue to be some of the best washer/dryers on the market. You used to be able to get certain Kenmore models that were manufactured by LG that were also excellent but that has stopped being the case as far as I know with Sears selling the brand.

I would setup a price alert on the usual sites to see if they clearance last year's models. Otherwise the next big wave of sales is President's Day weekend.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Kenmore is rebranded whirlpool with slight alterations to make repairs much harder. Parts are interchangeable.
I have kenmore front loaders that are about a decade old. The washer drum needed replacing after the bearing went bad but was warranty covered. The dryer has been a pain. Thermal fuse has gone bad a number of times and the heating element cracked twice. Heating element requires you to remove the drum on the kenmore due to a piece of metal added. The same whirpool model this fix is easy.
This is interesting and I didn't know that. Thanks for this insight.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
This is the one I just bought and it has a feature that circulates air to get rid of the moisture after you're done:

www.geappliances.com

GE® 5.0 cu. ft. Capacity Smart Front Load ENERGY STAR® Steam Washer with SmartDispense™ UltraFresh Vent System with OdorBlock™ and Sanitize + Allergen|^|GFW850SPNRS

GE Appliances is your home for the best kitchen appliances, home products, parts and accessories, and support.

www.youtube.com

GE Appliances shuts the door on odor with a revolutionary UltraFresh front load washer. Engineered to stay fresh and clean, this washer uses technology to he...

This is the model I am planning on buying when when my wife and I are ready.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Top load. And if it ever does break, it's almost always a piece of plastic that attaches to the drum, a coupler, that is meant to break.
s-l1000.jpg

5$ replacement and a screwdriver and you're good. Never over-load the drum. Pun intended.

Also remember to leave the lid open to air out the machine to prevent mold and bacteria.

We've had ours for well over a decade. Think it's an older Whirlpool. But a washing machine is a washing machine is a washing machine. Avoid anything that's "smart". Trust me, you don't need it and they're meant to not be user-serviceable. Most run of the mill machines are part swappable.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

www.geappliances.com

www.youtube.com

Wow, thanks. This looks like it could be a game changer.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
If budget is not a factor, buy the Speed Queen TC5:

You can pair it with something like this:

They will last an eternity. You can have them for 20+ years easily. Extremely well built, high quality, and easily fixable. These are what laundromats use.

When I was researching for a new washer, I briefly considered a Speed Queen because of their famed reliability. I decided against one as I read they use a lot more water than the front loading alternatives. Money saved in repair/replacement isn't so great if I'm paying an extra $100 a year in water usage.

I bought a new washer this time last year. I previously owned an Electrolux and I had nothing but problems with it. It's the only major appliance I've ever owned where I actually got MORE money out of the extended warranty than I paid for.

The advice I got was to pick a well-known brand and buy their second-cheapest model. They've been going strong for over ten years.

This is what I did. I bought a Maytag MHW6630. It has everything I need without the added "smart device" nonsense I'd never use. There was one model a step down from it which was about $200 cheaper, but I had read was rougher on clothes. Sure enough, when I was in the appliance store showroom and felt the inside of each washer's tub, the water vent holes of the cheaper model had a sharper feel to them, as is the edges weren't polished down after being stamped. All the models above MHW6630 were physically identical but had more electronic features piled on.

One thing I've learned about front loading washing machines is you need to leave the door open when not in use to keep mold/mildew under control. That and regular cleaning of the rubber door sealant will keep the nasty smell away.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
Got an LG front load washer and gas dryer 8 years ago and still running great.

Some things i would note about owning them are:
  • Never used the steam wash and dry features so if i had to replace it, i would save money and choose one without any extra features i won't use.
  • Normally after a wash I would leave the door wide open. 3 years later i noticed the door can click into a semi closed position that lets air in so the tub can dry out.
  • There is a hidden clean mode (hold two buttons for a few seconds). In this mode you just add bleach to the fill mark and let it do its thing for like 2 hours.

Deleted member 31199

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I have always used top load washers until recently where I have been using a front load for about a year and a half. For dryers, I prefer gas but electric is fine. I prefer Whirlpool to Samsung but both are decent brands. To be honest, washers and dryers are not the way they used to be. Be sure also that you occasionally clean the washer with Affresh tablets and hot water (dry it after) and also be sure to have your dryer vent cleaned out regularly depending on how often you use it.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
We ended up buying a Maytag top loader on sale. It was a little over $1k all said and done. It showed up with a small dent on one side. The delivery guy called Maytag on our behalf and got us a $130 Visa for the dent. Not bad.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have a front load washer. A Samsung A330 or something. Bought it 10 years ago. I didn't know the door needed to be opened after washing for a solid year or two after the purchase. It stank really bad. And it needed constant drain/filter clearing.

Also, good luck finding service for Samsung. Or LG. My Samsung just went bust. I could not find techs to come out and have it checked. Offices Samsung repair folks wanted $100 for the initial check and then $250/hour.

Lessons learned:
Will stick with Whirlpool.
Get top load impeller.
Get largest capacity you can fit so you can wash your bedding.

I'm looking at the 5.3 cu. ft. Model.

Edit:
I would love a Speed Queen. But their capacity is way too low. Their bigger capacity units are industrial units that would take up my whole laundry area!

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
LG is best IMO.
Then comes Whirlpool with that premium.
Then comes Samsung with the value.

Samsung gets a lot of hate but they're fine (and cheap). LG is the best bang for the buck.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In risk of starting a weird debate, I don't understand why people recommend the Speed Queen or anything with an agitator.

Seems like a weird holdover of what people thought would be best to wash clothes with was to drown it in soap and water when studies have shown it wasn't necessary

Take a look at this article:

www.nytimes.com

Speed Queen Review: We Toured the Factory and Tested Their Classic Washer. Here’s What We Learned.

Speed Queen “found a loophole” in efficiency regulations that allowed it to reintroduce its cult-classic top-loader. We tested that washer out.

What's most interesting is that they waste so much water and still can't clean as well as the LG front loader and still ruins the fabrics.

I do understand that simpler mechanics means less mechanical problems to worry about in the future, but for the amount of resources it uses to barely do an adequate job doesn't seem worth it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Just avoid front loaders and you should be fine for a long time. You also don't need bells and whistles on these machines.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Why the heck do modern high end washers have WiFi????

They want in on the IoT craze so you can monitor and turn on/off even over 4G

Since running the machine is such a personal/physical action I can't imagine why that is helpful, but I guess if you really want to track stats on washing or if you habitually forget to turn on the machine, I guess this is for you.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I JUST bought a washer today. Mine broke wouldn't spin anymore. Was about 8 years old. This isn't my forever home but at least got something that should last me until I do sell.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
fascinating to hear top loaders still around and v.popular in the US. They were pretty much the only option in the UK back in the 70s/80s but got replaced by front loaders pretty quickly. Do'nt know if thats just a space thing (we often don't have laundry rooms due to lack of space so they have to fit under counters in the kitchen), or maybe a push to normalise what was offered with the rest of europe for cost savings of the manufacturers?

We're probably never buying a combo washer/dryer again - they just seem less efficient and more prone to breaking down.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
fascinating to hear top loaders still around and v.popular in the US. They were pretty much the only option in the UK back in the 70s/80s but got replaced by front loaders pretty quickly. Do'nt know if thats just a space thing (we often don't have laundry rooms due to lack of space so they have to fit under counters in the kitchen), or maybe a push to normalise what was offered with the rest of europe for cost savings of the manufacturers?

Top Loader is probably the most popular in Southeast Asia, where moisture is a huge problem and gas-powered units hardly exist. But combo units are not super popular here because hang-drying is still the most popular thing to do...

My experience in North America was mostly that so many people owned old/broken side washers that Top still seemed like the best way to go for most...

Dec 4, 2017
People who claim front loaders get smelly should really learn to leave the door cracked open.

The one part which I will admit does get gunky is the detergent tray, and, specifically, its holder (especially if using powder or a detergent with fabric softener/conditioner). That one needs to be cleaned by hand.

I've had an old mechanical Whirlpool front loader for nearly 20 years, and the only reason I replaced it was because damper struts for that model were no longer made (and the drum had started shaking very loudly).

I had initially wanted to go for one of those clasp-style drum washers, but I really like using the top as a shelf, so I went for another Whirlpool front-loader.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
People who claim front loaders get smelly should really learn to leave the door cracked open.

The one part which I will admit does get gunky is the detergent tray, and, specifically, its holder (especially if using powder or a detergent with fabric softener/conditioner). That one needs to be cleaned by hand.

I've had an old mechanical Whirlpool front loader for nearly 20 years, and the only reason I replaced it was because damper struts for that model were no longer made (and the drum had started shaking very loudly).

I had initially wanted to go for one of those clasp-style drum washers, but I really like using the top as a shelf, so I went for another Whirlpool front-loader.

We had that with the detergent drawer so now my wife is fastidious with rinsing and leaving it open to dry also. Annoying as we have it in the kitchen so its sticking out all the time. I wonder if they're dishwashable as then we could do it once a week and not worry about it.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Always buy Miele, Hoover's, washing machines anything like that! They haven't let me down in years, well worth the extra

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Buy a nice cheap one from LG or something. It's not going to break for another 10 to 20 years, buy a nice new cheap one when it does. Don't think buying an expensive one will save you money, it won't.

Repeat until you no longer need to buy new ones.