• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hello, someone local is selling an xbox one with games. They are mostly all digital.

What is the process ? I already have an X but looking to get a second simply as a media device. How do I handle the digital games ? Why way to have it tied to my gamertag? Thanks

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
i didn't think you could do that?

i thought the digital purchases were tied to the gamertag they were redeemed under

unless they have the actual unused digital codes, but how would you know they weren't used until you already bought the thing, got home and tried it?

sounds a little fishy, but i dunno maybe there is a way to give away digital copies i don't know about

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
that's not how it works unless they're also selling their whole account with it, it's not like the Wii

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
be careful with that because he can just reset his password remotely and lock you out of all the games

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah he will give the entire account too I guess

so he's going to give the email and password and everything for that account?

yeah that'd work, but you might want to make sure that all works before you actually buy the box, like test it out somewhere.... maybe even change the password on the account right away so he doesn't try to get back in their and steal the account back.

i dunno, maybe i'm being too skeptical but it seems a fair thing to do if you're going to give him your money, you know?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he will give the entire account too I guess
Unless he's providing you with an email address + password and other security details along with the console he's scamming you.

Keep in mind account transfers/sales like these are against the TOS of Microsoft, and don't assume you'll be the permanent owner of those games or that account. There are several ways the original owner can claim that account back if they so choose.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
They're tied forever to the account that bought them, so they would have to give you the login info for their account. There's no way to transfer purchases between accounts.

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I will only do it if I can change my password first on the console before buying.

Or can he still bypass it after ?

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I will only do it if I can change my password first on the console before buying.

Or can he still bypass it after ?

Changing the password is pointless if he's going to know all the security details (recovery email, authentications, recovery codes, phone number ect... ) because then he'll just say the account was stolen and get it back.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is the kind of deal that you will convince yourself sounds good but isn't worth it.

Under no means should you pay for account exchange/access to a library of digital games. It's not worth the trouble and very easy to get scammed.

OP
OP

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I asked some more questions, he said that he can give the original email address and password. Does this change things ?

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I wouldn't recommend it either way. You don't know what they could've been doing on the account/console.

Possibility of buying a console that's banned from certain games.
He may have used a stolen card to buy certain games.

This isn't a store where you can get warranty in case it doesn't work.

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This sale comes from the alternate timeline that split off in 2013 and features Microsoft following through with its digital licensing program and mandatory XBL check-ins.

In short... games are tied to an account, and if someone is selling their Xbox One with digital games, those games are not yours (even if you might get to play them for a period of time). All it takes is someone deactivating the console for that account.

No, I would not accept this deal. Run. This is going to bite you in the butt.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of two things is happening here.

The person is naive and doesn't realize that the games are tied to his email for the rest of time.

The person is not naive and is planning on reclaiming the account and screwing you out of your money and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it because it's against MS terms of service to sell an account.

Just go buy a regular xbox man, it isn't worth the risk unless this person is someone you know and trust to never fuck you like a long time friend.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I asked some more questions, he said that he can give the original email address and password. Does this change things ?

no man, don't do it

the other posters are right. he has the answers to his secret/security questions and all the other information necessary to regain his account even if you change the password. he's probably scamming you.

perhaps you could just ask for just the xbox at a lower price?

EDIT: hell even then, maybe that thing is broken... nah, not worth the risk... i'd just leave that whole thing alone ad never talk to the dude again

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
If it was a close friend of family, sure make that deal. Get all the account and email details and change all the passwords.

If it's a stranger, just don't do it.