• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I am about to buy a a second Switch, because my kids are 9 and 5, I travel a lot with work and I basically never get to play it unless it's playing their Mario Maker creations (which I love) or getting them unstuck.

Anyway I have some questions which I tried to Google but get conflicting answers so I came to the source of all good knowledge.....Resetera

Will I be able to transfer save files?
Will I be able to download digital games on my new switch that I already downloaded on the old one?
Are there any download play multiplayer games that we could do local play on or do I need 2 carts of the same game for most/all of them?

That is all, thanks in advance.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
  1. I guess with switch online? Not sure
  2. Yes, set one of them as your primary console. The other one must be online to play
  3. I think you need 2x copies of any game?
I'm guessing waiting for Switch lite or upgraded regular switch isn't an option?

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
As I understand it, save files transfer just fine.

You can download all games you own on any consoles you own, you just need to designate a primary. You'll need to load it from your account on all consoles too.

Anything that's "online" seems to lock out other consoles when you run it on one of your consoles. I assume that applies to local too. So, yeah, two games.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
  1. I guess with switch online? Not sure
  2. Yes, set one of them as your primary console. The other one must be online to play
  3. I think you need 2x copies of any game?
I'm guessing waiting for Switch lite or upgraded regular switch isn't an option?
Great thanks. So with number 2, if I set the new one as my primary console, i can play it in airports or on planes without the second one needing to be online? It's just if the non primary console wants to play one of the digital games?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Great thanks. So with number 2, if I set the new one as my primary console, i can play it in airports or on planes without the second one needing to be online? It's just if the non primary console wants to play one of the digital games?
You don't need to be online all the time, but merely every time you start a game and afterwards every 3 or 4 hours. So, if you can connect your Switch via a hotspot (your phone) to the internet every few hours you are fine even on a secondary console.

Why that's important? Because on a secondary console only your account has access to your games. All other profiles attached to the Switch can't play your games. I assume that your kids have their own accounts, though, so making your home Switch the secondary console would lock them out of playing games.

Otherwise it's smooth sailing. It's no problem to play games - even the same one - on a secondary and primary console at the same time either. Local multiplayer won't work if you use the same "digital copy", but online does.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to be online all the time, but merely every time you start a game and afterwards every 3 or 4 hours. So, if you can connect your Switch via a hotspot (your phone) to the internet every few hours you are fine even on a secondary console.

Why that's important? Because on a secondary console only your account has access to your games. All other profiles attached to the Switch can't play your games. I assume that your kids have their own accounts, though, so making your home Switch the secondary console would lock them out of playing games.

Otherwise it's smooth sailing. It's no problem to play games - even the same one - on a secondary and primary console at the same time either. Local multiplayer won't work if you use the same "digital copy", but online does.
Ok great thanks. So if I'm in an airport I should hotspot it and start playing so the folks at home can still play?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Whatever you do, wait for the switch revision that's replacing the OG model to come out next month and get that one. Way better battery life and potentially better performance.

Or you could buy lite and give it to them I guess and keep the OG

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Cloud saving works just like PS4. One primary, all others non-primary. You can use the same account across multiple Switches. Downloading any game you bought on that account through eshop.

You can also transfer individual saves manually through the Save Data Transfer process even without NSO. Just be aware it deletes that save off the old device

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Ok great thanks. So if I'm in an airport I should hotspot it and start playing so the folks at home can still play?
Yes, just keep in mind this assumes you and your kids use separate accounts. If that's the case, than that's probably the best option, as it's the one that lets your kids access their own save data on their Switch.

I'll also echo that waiting a month could be worth it. Frequent flying/traveling is one of the use cases that most benefits from the improved battery life coming. Your call, though.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, just keep in mind this assumes you and your kids use separate accounts. If that's the case, than that's probably the best option, as it's the one that lets your kids access their own save data on their Switch.

I'll also echo that waiting a month could be worth it. Frequent flying/traveling is one of the use cases that most benefits from the improved battery life coming. Your call, though.
Yeah I thought about waiting but that gives my wife a month to change her mind...lol

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
So assuming I don't share my Switch with anyone else, I can get the Switch Lite, designate that as Primary and then my existing Switch as a secondary home unit and be able to share my save files in real time through NSO?

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought about waiting but that gives my wife a month to change her mind...lol
Fair enough lol.

One last thing about digital game sharing - the secondary Switch can't play offline indefinitely. It'll suspend the game once you've been offline for I believe 3 hours; something to keep in mind if you plan to play on the actual plane.

OP
OP
weekev

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough lol.

One last thing about digital game sharing - the secondary Switch can't play offline indefinitely. It'll suspend the game once you've been offline for I believe 3 hours; something to keep in mind if you plan to play on the actual plane.
Its ok I live in the UK and it would be domestic flights only which are 90 mins max. If I was ever flying longer than that my kids would be with me cos we would be going on holiday.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
So assuming I don't share my Switch with anyone else, I can get the Switch Lite, designate that as Primary and then my existing Switch as a secondary home unit and be able to share my save files in real time through NSO?
Yes, for all but a few games listed here. The most notable ones are Splatoon, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and oddly enough, Dark Souls. Otherwise just make sure automatic backups are turned on and you're good to go.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Yes, for all but a few games listed here. The most notable ones are Splatoon, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and oddly enough, Dark Souls. Otherwise just make sure automatic backups are turned on and you're good to go.
Even for those few exceptions, you can still do save transfers a la carte. You just can't have backups available in the cloud across devices at once.

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Even for those few exceptions, you can still do safe transfers a la carte. You just can't have the backups available in the cloud across devices at once.
Correct, it's just a hassle for those games, not a complete deal breaker. If I were to get that setup, I'd probably keep Splatoon on the home Switch and AC on the Lite 99% of the time, as they both lend themselves to specific styles anyway. Maybe one day I'll know enough people who play Splatoon to play local...