• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 3, 2018
Commented about this in another thread but figured I would ask for help here as well.

I go camping a lot, and also hiking and just love being out of the city in general. Been taking more and more pictures on these trips with my iPhone X. Quality is good but there are times I would love to have more control and being able to adjust the camera before taking the picture.

now, I started looking into DSLR cameras and I was honestly overwhelmed. I consider myself a "techie" guy and don't usually have a hard time when it comes to researching and purchasing electronics, but good lord the sheer amount of options really confused me when I was browsing cameras online. So I said to myself maybe I just buy the new iPhone 11 pro which is supposed to have an incredible camera and be done with it. But then I thought that I would run into the same problem eventually and want a full fledged camera.

How does one decide which camera to buy? My budget is $500 currently, as I'm a complete beginner. But please let me know if I should up my budget by $100 if it's worth the bump since it'll be a huge upgrade.

as I mention; I am mainly going to be using it for nature photography.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Can you specify what you mean by nature photography as that can cover pretty much every type of photography out there?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Since you are already used of phone's camera wide angle view, I'm going to just suggest something light and takes great picture, Ricoh GR2 should fit your budget however GR3 has quite a bit of improvements. Basically it's SLR that fits in your pocket, great for camping and stuff.

Edit: Unless you really have reasons to want multiple lenses and end up being too bulky and end up just going back to use your phone again because of convenience, which happens to a lot of students I've seen.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm about 5 years behind because that's when I last bought one, but my guess is a Nikon d3500 and Adobe lightroom.

The kit lens is more for practice, then you'll want a buy a couple of lenses. Without a full sensor probably a 50mm prime f/1.4+ and a 24mm wide f/1.4+. If on a budget it'll probably be f/1.8 or f/2.4.

You may want to consider renting equipment as really good cameras are stupid expensive. DSLR with a kit lens isn't going to be a leap over smartphones for point and shoot

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Just get a Sony a6000. It's a mirrorless ASP-C camera, not DSLR but as a beginner that won't make much difference. It's kit lens is great and it's largely considered one of the best beginner cameras.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hi,
sadly 500,- isn't much in the world of photography. Lenses alone for DSLRs and System cameras will easily be much more expensive than that. And yes, that's without a camera.
I think your best bet is the used market if you really want to get into the interchangeable lens systems.
otherwise there are multiple very good cameras available with fixed lenses. Like the Sony RX100s.

photography is a also about personal preferences. So it's Hard to say what you'll like the most.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Just get a Sony a6000. It's a mirrorless ASP-C camera, not DSLR but as a beginner that won't make much difference. It's kit lens is great and it's largely considered one of the best beginner cameras.

Was going to suggest this too, I'll never go back to DSLRs after having a mirrorless camera.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
you have to invest much more into lenses though if you really want to take advantage of a big APSC sensor
I personally use a Fuji with three primes and love it, but that's not anywhere close to the OPs budget

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
For ÂŁ500 I'd look at something like the Sony Rx100 III. It's compact and has a good lens built in, though it's only around 70mm. There's Also the PowerShot SX710 which had a 30x zoom.

I've got a 1st gen Olympus m10 which is a fantastic little camera. You might be able to get the body only version and a decent lens for around ÂŁ500 if you shop around.

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
I'm just scared that I'll spend $1500 and not like it. Or just be overwhelmed with the technicality of the whole thing. Unless I'm wrong . I figured starting small as a
Beginner might be Best?[/QUOTE]

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely buy a good used camera and still take great photos. We took great photos in 2010 too. The Canon 5D mkII will forever be a great camera for example.

But honestly i think if you're into hiking you should invest in a cheap medium format film camera. Honestly the experience is a lot more fun and the results are faaaaar better.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Mirrorless with a wide angle for landscapes - longer lens if you want wildlife or portraits. Any recent or even 1-2 year old good condition used will serve you well to save money. And if you don't want lots of lens changing get a zoom - wide sounds like it'd suit you but even a 14-100 type will still have nice quality and be flexible for you to try lots of things

OP
OP
Liquid Plejades
Mar 3, 2018
Also, one camera that keep coming up in my googling was 5D MKII. I looked it up and lot of good used one for my budget available, some even have a lens included. Is this worth looking into or it's too old? It constantly came up as a suggestion

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The 5D is amazing but only shines using expensive lenses. Be prepared to spend A LOT and carry a heavy camera in your backpack.
the Good thing: if you don't like it, you can sell used lenses without problems. And most of the time without loosing money

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think it is worth reiterating that a DSLR kit lens raw photo will look like shit. The OP needs to know this. You need to post process DSLR raw photos in software like lightroom to get a good image. It is like photoshop light for DSLR post processing and has a learning curve.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
This is the answer.

Sony's ASP-C sensor is pretty damn good and, more importantly, the a6000 is their beginner model that uses Sony's e-mount standard. So you can use the kit lens (which is great for a kit lens), but if you decide to spend more money on photography later on down the line, you can experiment with higher quality glass that will work just fine with a a6000 now AND a more sophisticated Sony camera should use decide to upgrade the body later.

Fuck, not even the a6000, I shot with the a5100 for years (and just kept buying lenses) before I upgraded the actual camera body.

Oct 25, 2017
You can't go wrong with a Sony mirror-less camera. Cameras from the a6000 series (or its predecessor the Nex series) are all decent and take good photos. You should also think about the possibility of getting a wide angle lens.

Also, you'll definitely need some post processing software.
My personal preference is Capture One because there's a free version for Sony camera users.

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
Just use your phone. Before you drop another 500 on a camera, learn the fundamentals on your phone that you're about to drop 1200+ on.

Download a better (pro) camera app, look up tutorials on YouTube, and learn how to shoot RAW.

If after a few months you legit feel limited, then consider buying a dslr.

I say this as someone that has a $2000+ camera and works within digital media. Your phone is more than capable in most cases.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I was like you OP. I wanted to take landscape pictures
I started with phone then finally decided to buy my first DSLR. I asked "the old place" for recommendations.
I went with a cheap second hand APS-C canon camera 80-D (since their lens are cheap).
A landscape lens and an all around zoom lens

Watched some YouTube videos and learned about aperture, manual modes (Tony Nortrup has a good Canon 80-D tutorial)

Fast forward sold that Camera and bought a Sony now

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
sony cameras are newbie friendly, specially the new ones have really amazing auto focus. If you can get a6100 with kit lens, that's a lot more camera that you will ever need.

a6000 is very old now and it's cheaper but it comes with its own issues. The battery life is bad, it overheats, focus isn't that great, it's slow etc etc. a6100 will last you a very long time.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
If you shoot nature, don t forget to buy clear filters for your lense if it allows it, it would be a shame to ruin the front element with scratches on your first day on the field ;)
I wish you steady hands and luck in your adventures~
Have fun

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
For you any anyone else, we have a dedicated camera thread, just like the old place https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...g-comparison-club.1451/page-236#post-25358256

And once you buy that camera share them in the photography thread. https://www.resetera.com/threads/photography-era-ot.424/page-81#post-24622015

Buy the best camera you can afford. Cameras these days will last you a long long time. I'm still using my nikon D800e which came out in like 2012. Invest in nice lenses, that's where photography shines. Look at used and refurbished too. You can always find deals on equipment that way.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

This.
You don't want to go hiking specifically for taking pictures, you want to go hiking and take pictures while you're there I think.
Get a decent all-round mirrorless with a good kit lens or your excursions will have to be planned with photography in mind first and foremost.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If you go the interchangeable lens route, focus on the lenses, not the body. Good lenses will be with you as long as the mount exists and you use the system.

and do yourself a favor and learn the fundamentals of photography then. Otherwise you'll be frustrated.

Deleted member 33116

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I echo the Sony A series recommendations. If you want to save some $ too you could look at the 5100. It has a touch screen so easier to focus.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't plan on processing the photos after taking them or learning photography, I think you are better off just not buying any dedicated camera. Smartphones are decent enough and do so much for you while also allowing instant sharing and cloud uploads that you'll just get frustrated if you expect the same from a dedicated camera device.

With that said, if you do plan to go down the dedicated camera route, go mirrorless, since it will let you shoot through the rear LCD without any penalty, just like your smartphone. I think the Sony cameras are great, but I would recommend going with the recently released a6100 at least, since it was a big update from the original a6000.

Here's a good link explaining the differences in Sony's APS-C line:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The lenses are more important than the body tbh. Make sure you get a couple good prime lenses (50mm and maybe a 24?) and a zoom. That would be my suggestions.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Just reiterating what everyone else has said, it's all about the lenses. Focus on focal lengths you feel an affinity for or would be most useful to you. Nature photos typically make use of wider angles and telephoto lenses for compression and picking out detail. Also invest in a good light weight tripod. It opens up a whole lot of scenarios lost to you when you start losing the light. I personally own an aluminum tripod with a ballhead, perfect for correcting the frame with subjects at odd angles.

I almost want to suggest buying a used body and getting a better than average zoom lens to start out. Just as cars camera bodies depreciate in value pretty quickly which means you can get something that punches far above its cost on the used market. That's how I acquired my OG Sony A7.

Last edited:

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Are you hell bent on getting a DSLR? Because the world of photography seems to be heading in the Mirrorless direction. Not that you can't get absolutely amazing pictures with a DSLR though. I'm just thinking about the possibility that you end up really getting into photography and your upgrade path for the future.

The Sony a6000 seems to be your best bet IMO.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Sony a6000 is what you need. Or it's successor.

It was my first camera. A steal in terms of features for the price, and built like a tank. I have used mine for 3 years and even used it to shoot weddings. It is my go to vacation camera. Light, can fit on a backpack along with a couple of lenses.

All the major complaints people had about the Sony ecosystem are now a mute point. If you ever decide to upgrade lenses you will have a great variety of options. And if you ever decide to upgrade to a full frame Sony camera you will be familiar with the interface.

Sometimes it goes on sale and you can get the bundle with two lenses, both of which will get the job done, specially the longer telephoto lens.

It is also worth noting that the a6000 is one of the most popular cameras out there and there are a lot of learning material specially on YouTube. It also had the distinction of being Sony's best selling camera for years. So you might be able to find used ones at a great price.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This. Jump up to the a6300 or a6400 if need 4K video but it sounds like you probably don't.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
You want a travel camera, not a bulky body & lens. I have the Lumix tz100 (zs100 in America) and it's a great all rounder. 25-250mm zoom, quick auto focus, 4k video and fits in any pocket. You're more likely to pull it out and snap a quick shot while hiking. IMO. Don't get the 200; it sacrifices sharpness for more zoom.

Oh and it charges off usb so any battery bank can keep it topped up. Great for travel.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I recommend spending a bit more and going mirrorless.

You might get lucky and find an older one used for your budget though

Oct 28, 2017
Mirrorless cameras aren't much easier to use, are lighter and as good quality as DSLR. They end to be pricier though.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can't do regular DSLRs anymore. Compact mirrorless all day everyday. Having to carry a backpack just for the camera sucks and it ended up staying home more often than not.

OP, if you are truly looking to get into professional photography, get a 5D Mk II. Else, the Canon M series all the way.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
No...people should really buy Fuji for apsc, Sony for full frame.
To be honest just want to be able to take nice pictures of the national parks I go to, such as the views and any animals I see.
Fujifilm XT20 w 23mm f2 prime lens, used. It'll take your photography up a few levels when you spend some time on it.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
You want a travel camera, not a bulky body & lens. I have the Lumix tz100 (zs100 in America) and it's a great all rounder. 25-250mm zoom, quick auto focus, 4k video and fits in any pocket. You're more likely to pull it out and snap a quick shot while hiking. IMO. Don't get the 200; it sacrifices sharpness for more zoom.

Oh and it charges off usb so any battery bank can keep it topped up. Great for travel.

Little cameras like this are great! I have a Sony RX 100 and love it. It is great for travel, hiking and biking. I have a mini case that straps to my camelbak so it is always with me.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Question for the experts here, is 500$ really enough? I feel 500$ would get you a reasonable camera body and then some mediocre lenses. Wouldn't OP just be better updating to the iPhone11 Pro (since he can return his X)?
What are the advantages of a camera vs the iPhone if 500$ is his budget? Ability to upgrade later?

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The gap between a modern phone like the 11 Pro and compact cameras isn't the same as 10 years before. I would say, the low budget compact camera market is uninteresting for an iPhone 11 user (or Pixel, or whatever)

Cameras with larger sensors are a different story. Physics can't be neutralized by software, a bigger sensor will always be the real deal for things like depth of field, sharpness, etc.

What I absolutely would recommend: don't buy an expensive camera and trash lenses. Makes no sense. Get a cheap (used) body and great lenses instead. Or a compact camera like the RX100, which takes awesome photos, too. Especially considering it's size.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely would not buy a DSLR. Buy a used mirrorless camera.

if you don't want to edit, or you want to take your time and learn how, I would suggest a used fuji mirrorless. x-pro2, x-t2, x-t20, etc. along with the kit lens. probably going to be over your 500 dollar budget, but might not be too much more than that. The kit lens is pretty nice for a kit lens, but its not WOW or anything but good enough to learn on.

The reason why i suggest fuji is because you can shoot in jpg and apply one of the film simulations in-camera and tweak the settings in-camera so that way you won't have to post-process - you let the camera do it for you. You can lean on this while you learn to edit photos.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Oh! We should also point out that post-processing has also gotten a lot easier in recent years.

Of course, there are free programs that get better and better every year. But if you have the 10 bucks enough to splurge on Adobe's Photoshop/Lightroom Classic package, it comes bundled with modern Lightroom...which is basically VSCO on steroids.