• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I have a hankering to play some DS and 3DS games I missed, thanks to me selling my 3DS back in 2015. I had the 3DS XL. I know the 2DS is probably the best option since I don't care about 3D anymore, but is the console still worth picking up? I have a switch, but there are several games I want to play only on 3DS (Link Between Worlds, Warioware Collection, Majora's Mask 3D to name a few). Is it still worth a pickup in 2020? It's not an insanely expensive console to boot.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Yes. Especially if it's just for those games you listed.

If you ever wanted an RPG, the 3DS has one of the strongest line ups for those alone.

I still play my 3DS. I picked up WarioWare Gold recently and I've been enjoying that.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The New 2DS XL is great as long as you're okay with slightly worse speakers. The 3DS library still has a lot to offer.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
The only problem with the 2DS line is that they all have the awful TN screen. But if you don't care about that then yeah go for it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sure but i'd go with 3D if you want the whole shebang. like Link Between Worlds and 3D Mario Land for example, stereoscopics kind of made those games. not a deal breaker but you'll be missing out

i don't imagine a 2DS is significantly cheaper at this point but YMMV on personal budget

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
3DS catalogue is insane. If there's DS games you want to play on top of that, you have one of the best catalogues you could ever ask for in a console. No brainier to get one imo.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Unless prices have dramatically gone up or something (I haven't checked in forever) you really should just get a New 3DS XL, even if you're not actually going to use the 3D. The 2DS XL feels super cheap in comparison.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play the games on it then definitely. I got a N2DSXL to replace my broken N3DSXL. It does have a cheaper build but it's nicer in some aspects. It's lighter and the SD card is much easier to access. It also has a cover to prevent the cartridge from popping out.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
You need to have a New 2DS/3DS. It's got one of the best game libraries out of any system ever, and most of those games are never coming out elsewhere.

Go for it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I want to get a new New 3DS XL, but everywhere I asked seems to only be stocking used units :(

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Definitely worth it but I'd complete recommend the 3DS XL over a 2DSXL even if you don't care about the 3D. The 3DS XL looks and feels so much better, and the sound quality on the 2DS speakers really sucks.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you can play Kid Icarus on it then get the 2DS. If you cannot then get the 3DS.

Worth it for that game!

The DS library probably works on both.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It has hundreds of good to great games across DS and 3DS. Play the ones you know you'll like and then try random new ones that you don't know much About. I recommend the SMT series, Attack of the Friday Monsters, several Ace Attorney games, Pushmo, and Rhythm Thief

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got one a while ago and it's great. The 2DS XL has a lot you can do on it homebrew wise too. Super easy

Oct 27, 2017
Just got one refurbished from Nintendo last month, and really enjoyed it. I finally beat SMT4 and bought a bunch of great JRPG, too. Really solid purchase.

w0rm

Nov 28, 2017
Are you in the US or can import from there? Nintendo sells refurbished ones which are indistinguishable from new consoles.
Physical merchandise is not available from the US Nintendo store atm. Only the 2DS XL and 2DS look to be available as refurbished once their operations resume.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Got a brand new 2DS XL Pokeball Edition last year just to play Pokemon, I ended up playing lots more, is a great console even now.

Apr 19, 2018
This thread may be of some use, as I just picked up a N2DS XL myself just a month or two ago:

www.resetera.com

Would you recommend buying a New 2DS XL refurbished from Nintendo?

I know that Nintendo, at least from a few years ago, has had an excellent reputation in regards to the quality of their refurbished consoles. I bought a WiiU from them back in 2015 and found it in immaculate shape, for instance, but I'm wondering how their refurbished output extends to their...

My personal opinion about the system itself in the same thread, here. Despite its shortcomings, I enjoy playing on it far more than the 3DS XL.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
The 3ds library is GOAT tier. Definitely go for it, specially if you can find one for cheap. I'm currently waiting for a price drop on the 2ds xl myself since my OG 3ds xl is pretty banged up.

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would recommend buying the refurb ones directly from Nintendo. Relatively affordable and the condition is miiiiiiint. And it's guaranteed to work given that its5 coming straight from Nintendo.

Nov 2, 2017
I love my New 2DS XL (and 2DS OG). Happy to see so many people sharing the 2020 love.

As someone else noted, you can pick up refurbished units from the Nintendo store for a very reasonable rate. Been tempted to get another OG for $50US.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's still got a killer library (adding the DS it's possibly the GOAT) and a lot of it's best stuff should be very cheap at this point second hand. As long as you don't mind the low res and the form factor it's fantastic

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Even when DS games get ported to non-DS systems, the experience is so different that the original is still worthwhile. A DS/2DS/3DS will likely always be worthwhile for some games.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The 2DS XL is still a great system and a fantastic value. It comes with a great Mario Kart game, and a huge amount of the Nintendo 3DS library is now available as Nintendo Selects titles for twenty bucks a pop.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I still have these NIB, never opened lol. The other plain one we have is used when my granddaughter is over.

Deleted member 31140

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Warning, the 2dsxl "nubble", which acts as the c-stick, is complete dogshit. Controlling the camera while playing the 3ds monster hunter games became a painful experience for me. Thankfully, the majority of 3ds games does not require it as badly as something like monster hunter does.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Warning, the 2dsxl "nubble", which acts as the c-stick, is complete dogshit. Controlling the camera while playing the 3ds monster hunter games became a painful experience for me. Thankfully, the majority of 3ds games does not require it as badly as something like monster hunter does.

I believe people mods that with a psp nub. I think.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Try to find a non XL new 3DS. The low res screen on the XL makes it very very difficult to go back to a 3DS imo.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Man it is hard to find any 3DS or 2DS. Seems like they're sold out everywhere.

Nintendo was already phasing the older models out and I guess the crisis has made things even worse with people nabbing systems left and right.

Now is absolutely the time to buy a 3/2DS system if you find one and stock up on games.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I love mine.

I bought a refurbished one from Nintendo last year and I'm super happy with it. Sure, the build quality isn't as good as the New 3DS XL, but I love the fact that it's lighter (makes it easier to play Picross 3D laying down) and the fact that I don't have to bust out a screwdriver to the get the microSD card.

I was going to give it to my son since he broke his new 3DS, but I ended up giving my my New 3DS XL and kept the 2DS XL for myself.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I bought a New 2DS XL at the end of last year and I think the build quality is quite poor compared to the New 3DS. I like the design, size, I just think it feels a bit flimsy. Sometimes I still go back to my (Old) 3DS XL because of this.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
The library is great, but I personally find it kinda hard nowadays to play on the 2DS XL's screen due to the low res. I guess if I were you I'd try to get a New 3DS standard model instead.
If you want the bigger display, though, then I think the 2DS XL is a good idea for a rather cheap entry point.
The New 3DS XL is superior in every way other than weight, but also a lot more expensive here in the EU and harder to get a hold of nowadays.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I have a OG 3DS XL and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to get a 2DS XL or a NEW 3DS XL. I thought I remember hearing that the screen on the 2DS isn't as stretched as the 3DS XL.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I have a OG 3DS XL and I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to get a 2DS XL or a NEW 3DS XL. I thought I remember hearing that the screen on the 2DS isn't as stretched as the 3DS XL.

Get a N2DS XL, but keep your OG XL, don't do a system transfer or anything. Just try out the N2DS XL for some time and see how you like it first. For me it's a really great system, but it's also really different to the 3DS XLs, so it depends on what you like and what you're used to.

Dec 2, 2017
Personally, I'm not a fan of the 2DS XL, I think the quality of the system itself is very poor. I'd try holding out for a New 3DS XL.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I had half a mind to buy 2DS (as a collector's thing) on the cheap on clearance before they got discontinued, but seems like I missed the boat, as I can't find any and the ones I do find are marked up.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a New 2DS XL off walmart for $99. My OG 3DS is getting old now and wanted a replacement as I still have a large 3DS backlog.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I had half a mind to buy 2DS (as a collector's thing) on the cheap on clearance before they got discontinued, but seems like I missed the boat, as I can't find any and the ones I do find are marked up.

Yeah I noticed this a while ago. If you find an OG 2DS for cheap, you better grab that ASAP.